Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The twist is that there is no twist.

Or something obviously like L+R=J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Anyone know where I can get an epub of Game of Bones?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Junkenstein posted:

Now that Barristan has been confirmed dead, I'm pretty confident that 'twist' involves him and is specifically meant to gently caress with the show.

D&D will give his stupid Barry twist to Brienne. :smugbert::smugbert:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

The twist is that there is no twist.

Or something obviously like L+R=J

my personal theory is that it will involve underage nipples

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

savinhill posted:

my personal theory is that it will involve underage nipples

You're probably a paedophile.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

to be fair a large part of the entire series written by gurm involves underage nipples.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Serious question here: Are the Dunk and Egg stories worth reading or are they as bad as the latest books?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I love the dunk and egg stories. Good poo poo. Punchy and to the point. No galt's speech length descriptions of food.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dunk and Egg are pretty fun and great.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I like how when the show introduced bryndan rivers and he made his one thousand eyes and one joke they didn't even give him an eyepatch or ask him to wink for his twelve seconds of screen time YOU RUINED THE JOKE, IDIOTS.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

I like how when the show introduced bryndan rivers and he made his one thousand eyes and one joke they didn't even give him an eyepatch or ask him to wink for his twelve seconds of screen time YOU RUINED THE JOKE, IDIOTS.

Yes I sperged hard about that in the TV show thread when it happened. They're either trolling readers or they're just not putting any thought into it anymore.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Your sister.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Desert Bus posted:

Right this way.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Thanks!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

:frogout:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah I don't take orders from people just because they've been posting in this thread for a decade, I pity them.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

... posting in this thread for a decade, I pity them.

Well, it wasn't really an order. I mean I didn't expect you to be all "Oh poo poo, he used the frog. I want to stay, but he did use the imperative mode. Alas, now I leave this thread forever." I thought maybe you'd just be like "oh hey, maybe insulting people in this thread isn't how it's done" or something. But you are dead on with the pity part. I don't know if pity is even a strong enough word for anyone who has been posting here for 10 years. 10 years in this thread.. I can barely wrap my head around that poo poo.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

bartlebyshop posted:

I'll out myself here as someone who, on a reread, enjoyed Dance. There, I said it. I even liked some of the Meereen chapters now that I know everyone's names. GRRM is still bad and wrote two books without endings in 10+ years.

Can I ask what you liked about it? Theon's stuff was good, but Mer.. wait. the gently caress you learned everyone's names?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I really dug the chapter where Stannis army gets bogged down in the snows like Russia invaders. Dealt well with the rising despair, everything falling apart, etc.

And of course it's a metaphor for the series.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

bartlebyshop posted:

I'll out myself here as someone who, on a reread, enjoyed Dance. There, I said it. I even liked some of the Meereen chapters now that I know everyone's names. GRRM is still bad and wrote two books without endings in 10+ years.

I've only reread the first book but it's way more rewarding when you know what to look for, which minor characters to pay attention to, what seemingly insignificant details are important bits of foreshadowing, etc. Renly scheming to get rid of Cersei and marry Robert to Marg is a cool tidbit. A lot of that stuff gets glazed over on a first read because you don't know what's actually important and what's just noise. I'd imagine the more meandering books benefit even more in that regard.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 8, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Something bad about the show just occurred to me. Why did the sand snakes bury a man in the sand with scorpions and then spear him in the face for no loving reason. He came to you with some juicy intelligence. Why the gently caress would you reward a loyal citizen this way?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krinkle posted:

Something bad about the show just occurred to me. Why did the sand snakes bury a man in the sand with scorpions and then spear him in the face for no loving reason. He came to you with some juicy intelligence. Why the gently caress would you reward a loyal citizen this way?

A recurring theme is that people who betray others generally aren't trustworthy themselves. You also see this with Janos Slynt, and (in the books) with the Freys being hated by everyone.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They specifically said he tried to sell the information. It wasn't like he was doing them a favor, he was just greedily trying to line his pockets.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Oh for some reason I thought it was a dornish boat guy who said "hey guess what I saw" to his own local heros I didn't think it was a kings landing guy. I also can't remember why anyone knows they were there at all now didn't they row the whole way?

e: anyway after you got the information even if you put muscle on the guy to make sure you got it all you either don't believe him and kill him because you don't believe him and he wasted your time or you do believe him, you're glad you now have this information, and you pay the man. I feel like spearing the messenger is a poor way to encourage an information network. Varys doesn't use single-use little birds, he's not reading their reports and snapping their necks so they don't betray him also.

He probably waits until they're too big to fit in the crawlspaces before he snaps their necks.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 8, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Krinkle posted:

Oh for some reason I thought it was a dornish boat guy who said "hey guess what I saw" to his own local heros I didn't think it was a kings landing guy. I also can't remember why anyone knows they were there at all now didn't they row the whole way?

e: anyway after you got the information even if you put muscle on the guy to make sure you got it all you either don't believe him and kill him because you don't believe him and he wasted your time or you do believe him, you're glad you now have this information, and you pay the man. I feel like spearing the messenger is a poor way to encourage an information network. Varys doesn't use single-use little birds, he's not reading their reports and snapping their necks so they don't betray him also.

He probably waits until they're too big to fit in the crawlspaces before he snaps their necks.

It's very poor. He may have been selling the info, but if you buy it and tell him there's more where that came from if he continues to bring back good info from KL (which they want to go to war with, so that would be a good idea) he'd be the perfect person to do it since he runs trades through there anyway.

That whole scene was very poorly done.

I wonder if we're going to get a scene of Doran expressing how annoyed he is with them, as they are when they go around ruining his plans. It would at least justify what they did to the guy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Dorne stuff paid off in the books when you realise that their is some epic inter-generational long con going on. They probably aren't doing that in the show at all so we're just watching all this build up for a botched rescue noone cares about.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Not that the show is subtle or anything, but it makes sense to me that the Snakes offed that guy.

They lash out and strike and want revenge. They're all about fists and not at all about planning or calculations.

That's Doran's bag and he hasn't had enough screen time yet

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mike N Eich posted:

The jokes on all of us because the show keeps getting worse and is going to be the only way the series gets a conclusion.

Yes, how could anyone here have possibly predicted ASOIAF would end badly?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

kcroy posted:

Can I ask what you liked about it? Theon's stuff was good, but Mer.. wait. the gently caress you learned everyone's names?

I didn't learn them intentionally, it just happened. I liked the parallel/foil with Cersei Dany has going on, where she keeps trying to do the right thing for others in a city that hates her and just keeps loving it up over and over. I also liked watching her just keep trusting these people who are clearly working against her behind the scenes. I liked Drogon in the pit as well. Even on the reread Tyrion's journey is really tedious until he gets to the Yunkish camp and sees what a clusterfuck it is. I'm not claiming that the Meereen stuff was good, only that I enjoyed it.

Actually that was one thing I found really weird about the back half of Dance. Everyone in Meereen is super freaked out, sure they're going to to lose against this overwhelming slaver army but we have a PoV in that army that shows us it's in total disarray and run by morons. If the point of this was to make some argument about information asymmetry it really doesn't work.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The Dorne stuff paid off in the books when you realise that their is some epic inter-generational long con going on. They probably aren't doing that in the show at all so we're just watching all this build up for a botched rescue noone cares about.

I'd be surprised if they didn't do it. I mean it won't be the same, but Doran could just come out and say "yeah my son isn't actually marrying Myrcella, he's gonna marry Daenerys and I already sent a messenger to let her know".

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Elman posted:

I'd be surprised if they didn't do it. I mean it won't be the same, but Doran could just come out and say "yeah my son isn't actually marrying Myrcella, he's gonna marry Daenerys and I already sent a messenger to let her know".

I hope D&D can this idea and instead have Doran send Darkstar to marry Dany

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Max posted:

It's very poor. He may have been selling the info, but if you buy it and tell him there's more where that came from if he continues to bring back good info from KL (which they want to go to war with, so that would be a good idea) he'd be the perfect person to do it since he runs trades through there anyway.

That whole scene was very poorly done.

I wonder if we're going to get a scene of Doran expressing how annoyed he is with them, as they are when they go around ruining his plans. It would at least justify what they did to the guy.

Not really feeling this criticism. To paraphrase a post from the tv thread, if you went to the CIA in 2004 and said "Hey, I just smuggled bin Laden and a friend into the US, they said something about a kidnapping or something? Anyway, give me ten million and I'll tell you where I dropped him off" the answer ain't gonna be "great work, citizen, how about a hundred mil instead!" It's gonna be "fetch the waterboard."

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
I'm watching some of the best scenes with Tyrion and Cersei from season 2 and the chemistry is just amazing. There are scenes that give me goosebumps. I wonder where did the series take a sharp turn downwards in regards to the drama? Is it just the source material that is weaker? The last two books vs the original trilogy.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Hunky Joe posted:

I hope D&D can this idea and instead have Doran send Darkstar to marry Dany
Who do you think Daario is?

I mean, he's also Euron, but still.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

OhYeah posted:

I'm watching some of the best scenes with Tyrion and Cersei from season 2 and the chemistry is just amazing. There are scenes that give me goosebumps. I wonder where did the series take a sharp turn downwards in regards to the drama? Is it just the source material that is weaker? The last two books vs the original trilogy.

it's pretty much the source material. All the good actors are dead or separated so they can't ham it up with each other anymore.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Not really feeling this criticism. To paraphrase a post from the tv thread, if you went to the CIA in 2004 and said "Hey, I just smuggled bin Laden and a friend into the US, they said something about a kidnapping or something? Anyway, give me ten million and I'll tell you where I dropped him off" the answer ain't gonna be "great work, citizen, how about a hundred mil instead!" It's gonna be "fetch the waterboard."

In a world where surveillance is much more sophisticated and you can rely on things other than people to discover info, then yes.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The writing in AFFC and ADWD is as good as it ever was (for every "the more she drank" cherry-pick there's an incredible piece of writing from a Theon or Barristan chapter), it's just the structure of the books (specifically the lack of conclusions) that is the problem. The show is suffering because they're relying more and more on original content and demonstrating that they can't juggle the storylines or write as well as GRRM. The show excels at putting two characters in a room and letting them talk, but anything more complicated than that is inevitably really poo poo. Going back to Season 2, the showrunners proved they are incapable of writing original scenarios (dragon-napping) that compare to the books. No more books = no more roadmap beyond GRRM's vague outline = substantial drop in quality as "Yara at the Dreadfort" scenes become the norm.

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You think the Dorne stuff paid off in the books?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

haha yeah that happened didn't it? Every few months I stop myself and remember, oh yeah, I contributed to whatever the hell that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Do we know how many copies it sold in the kindle store?