Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Oh my god zucchini has gone berserk

I planted 12 seeds around in a pot (with a mound in the middle as directed) because I didn't expect them all to be viable/for me to not gently caress it up for all of them

They've all exploded and are starting to sort of crowd each other.

I guess I need to thin? Really seems a shame to kill a few because they're doing so well. I have no other place to transplant them and they're young enough I assume that would kill them anyway.

Or is zucchini one of those things that will thin itself out when the most viable ones outgrow the less viable ones and shades them to death?

Zucchini are notorious for going berserk! Thinning them will make them healthier - how big is the pot? I think I've read that zucchini don't like being transplanted, so your best bet is to just thin them out. And really, if you've never had a zucchini plant before, and aren't trying to feed a small community, one or two plants is plenty until you see how many tons of zucchini they produce (maybe fewer in a pot though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

dedian posted:

Zucchini are notorious for going berserk! Thinning them will make them healthier - how big is the pot? I think I've read that zucchini don't like being transplanted, so your best bet is to just thin them out. And really, if you've never had a zucchini plant before, and aren't trying to feed a small community, one or two plants is plenty until you see how many tons of zucchini they produce (maybe fewer in a pot though)

I want to say 18 inches but I am incredibly bad at determining sizes. Here's a picture of when they were little baby sprouts and I thought I was only going to have a few.

Now imagine these have tripled in size and there's 3 more space at regular intervals, including an inner ring on that mound in the middle where you can see some just barely starting. Yep. I keep meaning to take a picture.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah, I don't think you realize just how big zucchini gets. That pot is big enough for one plant.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Pictures time

Mint outta control

Tomatoes one day I guess

Cukes pretending like they wanna vine

I have no idea when to harvest spinach

ZUCCHINI THUNDERDOME

Strawberries coming along, also vining over the balcony

And I guess herbs are trying? I harvested a bunch recently

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I think you can pick leaves off the spinach as soon as the plant has enough to keep itself alive without em.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yeah you need to thin those zucchini. I would take it down to two or three of the best looking ones then thin all the way to one plant a week or so later.

Speaking of overplanting check out these tomatillos

The rain might be killing the agaves but Fort gently caress You Squirrels has a great crop of tomatoes.

Peppers and cucumbers already are setting fruit. The beans are more interested in climbing.

I haven't been pruning the tomatoes at all and they are absolutely loaded (30 fruit already set on one of the black krims). Should I just let them be because it seems to be working?

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 9, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I want tomatillos so bad, but no one has starts around here. I might just have to order some seeds and see if I can get something going. Zone 6

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
If you'd asked me when I put them in the ground I would've told ya to write off the potato onions. The starts looked dried out and worthless, and it's been dry and alternating between hot during the day to getting down in the 40s at night. But alliums love adversity:

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Good morning fellow veg heads! Continuing the picture trend:

The Garden

Broccoli & Brussel Sprouts up front, Bush Beans, flowers, tomatoes

Potatoes, a couple sun flowers, butternut & spaghetti squash, then bell and Spanish sweet peppers

My dad with the 4 foot gopher snake I almost stepped on. Let him go in a gopher hole, he was happy.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Awesome garden. Kick rear end dad.

Snoring
Oct 21, 2008
Any idea what's up with my Thai Basil? I'm thinking some kind of fungus that probably can't be helped. Maybe downy mildew? But I don't really see anything unusual on the undersides of the leaves. I'm in LA and it gets adequate sun and water.

I also have another, smaller Thai Basil that I think might be Siam Queen(?). It's got similar problems, but every other herb in my garden is flourishing.

Snoring fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 9, 2015

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
To prune or not to prune? What should I do?

I was going to update my progress in two more weeks, but I didn't think I'd already start seeing buds bloom on my plants already. I checked the typical plant heights for these peppers online, California Wonder, Diamond, Golden California Wonder, Orange Sun, and Purple Beauty, and they all say like 18 inches to 24 inches. None of my plants are even 1 foot. The tallest two you see in the pictures below is about 11 inches.

Would you people pinch buds off and allow more growth? Or allow these plants to produce fruit?

- Approximate plant ages is right about 8 weeks from germination.
- I planted all these directly into my system as soon as they germinated, so they've been getting full sun right from the get go.
- Plant heights vary from 5 inches to 11 inches.
- I live in Southern Arizona where it's going to keep getting hotter, and will be warm enough for pepper plants for another 5 months.
- 22 of the 24 plants are very hardy, they can take blistering winds, sun, and rain easily.

It's not terribly important that I get a maximum possible yield, but I don't want tiny peppers or screwed up peppers because the plants are possibly too young.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Have some cucumbers in pretty bad shape.

My mom had them at work and brought them home, but had never heard of hardening, and they're looking like this after just 2 days. One plant looks a bit more alive than the other, but the biggest leaf has a huge white area. The other plant looks like it'll lose most of its leaves. Is there any way to keep them alive? I was really looking forward to trying this variety :/

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
Some of my peppers are looking pretty pale and sickly. Anyone know what would cause this?

http://imgur.com/a/dPpkZ#4

I just started hardening them off, but I think they were this way before that. I put a calcium supplement in their water yesterday, because some of the leaves are getting wrinkled, but I don't think calcium deficiency is supposed to cause yellowing. And the calcium seems to be an issue more with hot peppers, whereas some of the yellow ones are cubanelles. Maybe some of my light bulbs need replacing or something. I guess it could just be the cooties.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Peristalsis posted:

Some of my peppers are looking pretty pale and sickly. Anyone know what would cause this?

http://imgur.com/a/dPpkZ#4

I just started hardening them off, but I think they were this way before that. I put a calcium supplement in their water yesterday, because some of the leaves are getting wrinkled, but I don't think calcium deficiency is supposed to cause yellowing. And the calcium seems to be an issue more with hot peppers, whereas some of the yellow ones are cubanelles. Maybe some of my light bulbs need replacing or something. I guess it could just be the cooties.

How moist is the soil? They like to be well watered, also add some general fertilizer to the pots when you water next.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Wow strawberries are early this year. We will pass our freeze date in about 3 more days and we already have a couple handfuls of ripe strawberries. Well, we had, I should say.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Whelp, I did it. I topped off about 20 of my 24 pepper plants. A lot of them were budding on top instead of growing. 3 of the 4 plants that I didn't top off, I still pruned a significant amount. Couple of them did their "Y" split only a couple inches from surface, so I didn't want to chance it. Only 1 plant I didn't do anything to because it was so puny and I was afraid to do anything with it. That and the resident mantis decided to chill out on it for the day, so I didn't want to scare it off.

I still left a lot of the adult leaves, but I will prune them off when new leaves grow out. It's only going to be 95 F outside today, and will actually be cooler in the day over the next few days, so I figured if I was going to do it, now's the time to do it. Once June hits, we'll probably start seeing +100 F temperatures everyday, so I figured it be better to stress my plants out now then a little later.

Topping off was hard to do, but the results shown in other people's youtube videos were proof that doing so had a much more favorable outcome than untouched plants.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Cimber posted:

How moist is the soil? They like to be well watered, also add some general fertilizer to the pots when you water next.

They're quite wet. In fact, I've been trying to let them dry out a bit more between waterings. It might be my imagination, but I think they looked a bit better this morning. Maybe getting them outside for hardening off is reviving them a bit. Some of my fluorescent bulbs are getting on in age, and I wonder if they just aren't putting out enough of the right light at this point.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

ijii posted:

Whelp, I did it. I topped off about 20 of my 24 pepper plants. A lot of them were budding on top instead of growing. 3 of the 4 plants that I didn't top off, I still pruned a significant amount. Couple of them did their "Y" split only a couple inches from surface, so I didn't want to chance it. Only 1 plant I didn't do anything to because it was so puny and I was afraid to do anything with it. That and the resident mantis decided to chill out on it for the day, so I didn't want to scare it off.

I still left a lot of the adult leaves, but I will prune them off when new leaves grow out. It's only going to be 95 F outside today, and will actually be cooler in the day over the next few days, so I figured if I was going to do it, now's the time to do it. Once June hits, we'll probably start seeing +100 F temperatures everyday, so I figured it be better to stress my plants out now then a little later.

Topping off was hard to do, but the results shown in other people's youtube videos were proof that doing so had a much more favorable outcome than untouched plants.

That's weird, mine always get pretty big on their own, at least by the end of summer.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Tiny crimson bugs
Chewing holes in all my mint;
Nuke them with Neem Oil?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Snoring posted:

Any idea what's up with my Thai Basil? I'm thinking some kind of fungus that probably can't be helped. Maybe downy mildew? But I don't really see anything unusual on the undersides of the leaves. I'm in LA and it gets adequate sun and water.

I also have another, smaller Thai Basil that I think might be Siam Queen(?). It's got similar problems, but every other herb in my garden is flourishing.

One of my parsley seedlings is doing the same and not looking good :( a whole leaf was lost.

Is neem oil okay to use on very young seedlings?

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
So, I bought some compost from a rando online and they delivered it when I was out for the day. They assured me it was garden ready, but it looks like this:

I wanted it to bulk up my garden soil and add some nutrition, but with this looking so raw, how would I go about doing that? Or do I need to store this until next year? What would you do with it?
We're growing flowers, shrubs and vegetables in the garden.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So, uh, like a big dumb idiot, I woke up one day thinking, "I should plant a garden. On my balcony." And off I went to the store to get a bunch of balcony railing pots along with soil and seeds.

I dumped a bunch of basil ("regular", lemon, thai) in one of them, and in the other one is thyme, oregano and tomato plants. While these seeds were still germinating, we had a huge fuckoff wind/rainstorm I felt the need to shelter my fresh plantation from. So I brought them indoors, where they have been ever since.

The problem is, I don't remember in which order I planted the thyme-tomato-oregano pot in. (Other than the tomatoes being in the middle.) Being a dumb idiot, I didn't think to mark any of these. And now all of those have germinated, and I have some tiny little sprouts on one side, large tomato sprouts in the middle, and medium sprouts in the other side. Considering all of those were planted on the same day, which is more likely to be the large/small sprouts? I'm thinking thyme small, oregano large, but I have zero explanation to back this.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Jan posted:

So, uh, like a big dumb idiot, I woke up one day thinking, "I should plant a garden. On my balcony." And off I went to the store to get a bunch of balcony railing pots along with soil and seeds.

I dumped a bunch of basil ("regular", lemon, thai) in one of them, and in the other one is thyme, oregano and tomato plants. While these seeds were still germinating, we had a huge fuckoff wind/rainstorm I felt the need to shelter my fresh plantation from. So I brought them indoors, where they have been ever since.

The problem is, I don't remember in which order I planted the thyme-tomato-oregano pot in. (Other than the tomatoes being in the middle.) Being a dumb idiot, I didn't think to mark any of these. And now all of those have germinated, and I have some tiny little sprouts on one side, large tomato sprouts in the middle, and medium sprouts in the other side. Considering all of those were planted on the same day, which is more likely to be the large/small sprouts? I'm thinking thyme small, oregano large, but I have zero explanation to back this.

Can you just wait until they all get their true leaves? Italian ("regular") basil looks pretty different from Thai basil, which look very different from tomato, which look very different from thyme. At worst case you wait until the basils are big enough to rub them with you fingers a bit then smell your fingers.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Zucchini again

What the gently caress is this poo poo

http://imgur.com/Wxhjppg

3 out of the 5 plants in the big container have lovely old big leafs but the rest are fine. The other 2 in that lot are all totally fine. The ones Ive test transplanted in other places are all fine. Soils been keep moist.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

DavidAlltheTime posted:

So, I bought some compost from a rando online and they delivered it when I was out for the day. They assured me it was garden ready, but it looks like this:

I wanted it to bulk up my garden soil and add some nutrition, but with this looking so raw, how would I go about doing that? Or do I need to store this until next year? What would you do with it?
We're growing flowers, shrubs and vegetables in the garden.

That looks like wood chips to me. In the first pic right at the bottom of the pile those chunks might be aged manure.

You absolutely do not want to mix wood chips into your garden soil. Bacteria will go nuts trying to breakdown all the carbon in them and suck up all the nitrogen in the process, leaving none for your plants.

On the other hand wood chips make a great mulch, spread over the soil in a layer but not mixed in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cpt.Wacky posted:

On the other hand wood chips make a great mulch, spread over the soil in a layer but not mixed in.

Around here wood chips grow aertillery fungus so I don't want them anywhere near my poo poo.

That stuff is like a year away from being ready if it's actively turned in a hot pile. It's several years away if left on it's own.

Basically useless scrap that people should have paid to be hauled off.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

Around here wood chips grow aertillery fungus so I don't want them anywhere near my poo poo.

That stuff is like a year away from being ready if it's actively turned in a hot pile. It's several years away if left on it's own.

Basically useless scrap that people should have paid to be hauled off.

Yeah, I think it depends on the area. You keep posting about it in this thread but no one I've ever talked to locally has heard of it and people are crazy about wood chips here, to the point of paying for them to be delivered.

If you do want to compost them instead of using as mulch then you'll need lots of nitrogen. If you don't have a problem with the yuck factor then urine is a good, free source.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Cpt.Wacky posted:

If you do want to compost them instead of using as mulch then you'll need lots of nitrogen. If you don't have a problem with the yuck factor then urine is a good, free source.

Scrape off the crystals and invest in sulfur to save on your gunpowder bill

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

mrmcd posted:

Can you just wait until they all get their true leaves? Italian ("regular") basil looks pretty different from Thai basil, which look very different from tomato, which look very different from thyme. At worst case you wait until the basils are big enough to rub them with you fingers a bit then smell your fingers.

Yeah... I'm not worried about the basil, I'm pretty certain I remember which I planted which. It's the thyme and oregano I'm not sure about. I guess I'm sort of worried about the tiny ones on the right:

They keep getting knocked over whenever I water them, and I have to painstakingly righten them up again. I'm worried they're not getting enough sunlight, but that's the only spot in my apartment where I can keep them near the sun... And we're still getting 5-10C temperatures, which I is too cold for basil, but not sure about oregano/thyme.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It has been insanely wet here for the last few weeks. It is nice that it saves me from having to water but it is confusing my tomatillos a bit. One is rooting along nearly every inch of stem (and there is a lot of stem because the thing is growing like crazy):

I'm not entirely sure how to tell when they are ripe too. When they fill up the husk all the way?

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 15, 2015

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Scrape off the crystals and invest in sulfur to save on your gunpowder bill

Surely it makes more sense to flush free fertilizer down the drain with lots of potable water, only to have it dumped in a waterway or removed in the sewage treatment plant at additional cost.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

What the gently caress is this

It was all over the bottom of one spinach leaf and bits on all the others. Are these eggs or something??

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

It was all over the bottom of one spinach leaf and bits on all the others. Are these eggs or something??

It's kinda blurry but my first guess would be aphids.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Yeh I couldn't get a good picture for some reason

I looked up aphids first and I don't see any. It also doesn't look like honeydew and I see no other effects.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Could be whitefly.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Could be whitefly.

Oh poo poo, from other pictures that is totally what it is. God dammit.

I've seen a single ladybug hanging around trying to help

So far they're only on my spinach so I should move it far away from the others

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 16, 2015

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
I am maintaining some raised beds for my wife this year. I only tilled up 2 of the 3 because we have a new baby and the wife wasn't very interested being preoccupied with the new little one. That's okay though.

I planted all from starts a few weeks ago:
22 seascape strawberry plants since we decided 6 plants two years ago was not nearly enough.
3 bell peppers (red, green, and black)
2 tomatoes,
2 egg plants

We don't take it too seriously, but we do water every couple of days when it doesn't rain and weed when we notice some from the house. It is just for fun and something to teach our 2yo daughter and to see what we can get. If it doesn't work we aren't too sad.

Today we got to eat the first ripe strawberry. A couple others had already been snitched by birds or bugs but this one was all ours.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Do I need to cut the suckers off tomatillo plants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Jan posted:

Yeah... I'm not worried about the basil, I'm pretty certain I remember which I planted which. It's the thyme and oregano I'm not sure about. I guess I'm sort of worried about the tiny ones on the right:

I'm getting the impression these herbs are getting smaller every day. I'm pretty sure I overplanted and should probably have started them in nursery pots. Both oregano and thyme seem to do well with lots of sunlight, should I just risk it and take them outside right away hoping some of them will survive?