Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anonymous Robot posted:

Oh man this is exactly my poo poo :smith:

What is the process of getting a web shop exclusive anyways? Is it a crapshoot if you aren't Japanese? Are supplies super low? Does importing cost a lot?

One of my local hobby shops somehow gets some Webshop exclusives in, and the HG's go for like $80AU. I didn't look at the web-exclusive MG they had (I think it was that Zeta with the bigass cannon) though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Seriously, GM Cannon is the next best thing after MG Guncannon 2.0 on my wish list of kits.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Anonymous Robot posted:

What is the process of getting a web shop exclusive anyways? Is it a crapshoot if you aren't Japanese? Are supplies super low? Does importing cost a lot?

You pay like 80 bucks to get it from a reseller, and try to do it as soon as they open orders.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
The things at the top of my wish list are HGUCs of the 08th MS Team GM Ground and GM Sniper to go with my MS team. The old kits look kinda bad.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of my local hobby shops somehow gets some Webshop exclusives in, and the HG's go for like $80AU. I didn't look at the web-exclusive MG they had (I think it was that Zeta with the bigass cannon) though.

I feel I've asked this before but you're in Melbourne aren't you?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vahtooch posted:

I feel I've asked this before but you're in Melbourne aren't you?

Yup. Stuck looking for stores with gunpla around here?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
If you're ever up Newcastle way, Frontline Hobbies has a decent selection of gunpla (usually a buttload of HGs and 4-5 MGs and maybe a lone 1:40 or PG floating around). They've only recently started getting HGs in at a reasonable time after the model was released, and there's still a few months lag between new MGs releasing and them ending up on their shelves. HGs typically run for $20-$40 ($40 would be the kshatriya end of the scale), RGs in the mid 30s, MGs 50s-80s (hello $120 titanium finish banshee, you're never getting bought) and I believe they've sold PG astrays at around the $250 mark.

They have a loving monolithic amount of revell / whoever plastic tank/plane/car/etc kits though. And a nice paint selection, a neat train diorama, a good selection of lego (which is about as expensive as you'd expect :v) and some puzzle stuff. Also a fair bit of RC car stuff.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
Korea on the other hand seems to have an increased demand for the sets or something. Saw another store at coex today which looked like they were doing decently well. Even had an area with a table where you could watch build fighters on a tv while you built your kit. Some of the things I liked there:

I'm super sad there weren't as many stores as there is now back when I was living here and I wish Ohio had a store half as good as one here.

I also ended up signing up for a free membership that gives you 5% back on points on purchases (at the lowest tier, the highest gives you like 15% or something), a 10% off coupon and a 20% off coupon for any one item. They also had a stamp book that gives you a free gunplay of your choosing(within a price range also dependant on your tier) if you buy 10 of any grade (5 if pg) and a small gift after 5 of any grade (action bases or gundam markers). Right now I am super tempted to just buy 10 HGs and get a 11th one free then spend the points and the coupon(s) to get the unicorn PG for under like 170 or something. Or the neo zeong because I'm an idiot. Someone stop me.

Crazy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 15, 2015

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

chutche2 posted:

Fair enough, I'll order some.

Neglected to add that wet-sanding should be your default and will give you better results in general.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

I haven't seen anything at King's when I went half a year ago. No sci-fi models at all.

Well, crap. Admittedly, I haven't been there in a year or more. And they WERE trying to sell the old 80's Getter Robo kits for $35-$40 a pop, so it's not like they were a great deal or anything....

I guess that leaves Hobbytown and Dragon's Lair if you want stuff in the northernly vicinity.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
what's a not dog-poo poo place to get model kits in Georgia? we used to have a store here in town, but the owner decided to only do the absolute most popular stock, so they only keep boring comics in now.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Colon Semicolon posted:

what's a not dog-poo poo place to get model kits in Georgia? we used to have a store here in town, but the owner decided to only do the absolute most popular stock, so they only keep boring comics in now.

Amazon has a pretty good selection of recent kits at decent prices with free shipping.

Speaking of Amazon, has anyone ever bought used gunpla from Amazon Warehouse? I bought a kit described as "Used - Very Good Condition", but I'm not sure what that means in the context of a model kit.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I noticed the pre-order for the RX-78-2 Revive on BBTS talks about it having "roughly the same amount of parts" as the original kit. Does that mean it's going to be subpar compared to the 30th anniversary edition? Should I cancel my pre-order and get that instead?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

An Angry Bug posted:

I noticed the pre-order for the RX-78-2 Revive on BBTS talks about it having "roughly the same amount of parts" as the original kit. Does that mean it's going to be subpar compared to the 30th anniversary edition? Should I cancel my pre-order and get that instead?

No, the new kit is better.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, awesome. Guess it's lucky I waited so long before getting a 1/144 version. Now if only the MG I got wasn't a month away from arriving. :argh:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'll have to check my local b/n for gunpla. There's a hobby store by me that has tons of tamiya paints and sprays, but no gunpla. So at least I've got that.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Colon Semicolon posted:

Literally just B&N or ordering online.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well guys at least you have stores in your area that sell gunpla.

Thanks for sucking Canadian prairies!

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Well guys at least you have stores in your area that sell gunpla.

Thanks for sucking Canadian prairies!

If it's any consolation, I order a fair amount of gunpla from Canada! Not from the prairies, though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Colon Semicolon posted:

The Hobbytown USA in Kennesaw stocks them, but I only get supplies from them because their gunpla is kind of expensive.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Nice as it is to walk into an actual physical space and see all the goods lined up and ripe for the picking, I resigned myself long ago to just getting my poo poo online. It's almost always cheaper that way anyhow.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Anonymous Robot posted:

You can find a reseller and order through them. I go through Big in Japan mostly, but there are loads that are probably better that other people know. GGInfinite have preorders open before the thing even goes up if you want to be sure and safe. Gunpla exclusives usually aren't as high demand relative to how many they make compared to other toylines. If something is a main guy variation then it'll go, but some stuff hangs around a while, but you still should rush!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Bimmi posted:

Model kits absolutely were mainstream when I was a kid. Monogram car models, huge. Aurora monsters, huge. Whatever cheap poo poo Lindberg was pushing, double huge. I remember when Toys 'R' Us would have both sides of a full-length aisle devoted to model kits of every imaginable kind, and they generally didn't even carry the high-end stuff the proper hobby shops had. And they were everywhere else too, department stores, drug stores, 7-11s, you name it.

It's been a long, long fall. There's a reason most of the remaining scale modelers in the US are ossifying greybeards like myself. It was a different era entirely, and only traces remain.

I took a shot at normal model building that didn't fare too well. My second shot is presently ongoing now. I can concur that the greybeards are as grey and beardy as the neckbeardiest goon is about Eve or other goony interests.

It's fun to have models of cool-rear end airplanes, if I can ever actually build one without a pretty awful failure.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

You can find a reseller and order through them. I go through Big in Japan mostly, but there are loads that are probably better that other people know. GGInfinite have preorders open before the thing even goes up if you want to be sure and safe. Gunpla exclusives usually aren't as high demand relative to how many they make compared to other toylines. If something is a main guy variation then it'll go, but some stuff hangs around a while, but you still should rush!

I'm partial to Gentei Kits. Easy to work with, reasonable (for web exclusive) prices, doesn't gouge on shipping. They can be a little slow to add new products for pre-order, but I think they generally get everything.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

MJP posted:

I can concur that the greybeards are as grey and beardy as the neckbeardiest goon is about Eve or other goony interests.

Scale-modeling geeks are totally goons in all but name, with all the good and bad that implies. It's a hobby that rewards obsessive and anal-retentive behavior while encouraging social isolation, and you get everything from real nice, goofy guys to literally insane shitmonsters.

There's a small but devoted faction that clings to the sci-fi and media subjects of their boomer youth, with an attendant industry that just barely manages to support itself. You almost never see anyone under 40 building this stuff. When they all die out, which will be soon, I don't doubt that the companies who serve them will die out as well.

Compare that to the incredible success of Gunpla and the Japanese model kit industry in general. I have no idea why it's so much healthier over there but it unquestionably is.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 15, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Suzaku posted:

I'm partial to Gentei Kits. Easy to work with, reasonable (for web exclusive) prices, doesn't gouge on shipping. They can be a little slow to add new products for pre-order, but I think they generally get everything.

Gentei Kits is definitely your best general purpose source for web exclusive poo poo. If you're incredibly quick on the draw, you can get them cheaper from Samueldecal, who is incredibly helpful, usually includes a sheet of his custom waterslides with every order as a bonus, and is generally a good guy. It'll take a little longer to get them, and he sells out quick, but that's about the worst of it.

Never use GGInfinite, their markup on web exclusive kits is insane, they're incredibly unhelpful (I moved a month before a kit shipped, and they refused to change the shipping address for me for the longest time), and are generally awful people.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Never use GGInfinite, their markup on web exclusive kits is insane, they're incredibly unhelpful (I moved a month before a kit shipped, and they refused to change the shipping address for me for the longest time), and are generally awful people.

I really do try not to be a vindictive person, but I'd love to see those fuckwads go out of business.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
the barnes and nobel lady told me that they don't hold clearance and that they 'might have some in stock..' I dont like the Destiny, but for 2$ :getin:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Compare that to the incredible success of Gunpla and the Japanese model kit industry in general. I have no idea why it's so much healthier over there but it unquestionably is.

I can't help but think that one of the reason's it's so much healthier is that gunpla looks way better OOB than 95% of cars and plane kits. It helps bring in casual fans.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, but even in terms of aftermarket parts, tools and supplies the Japanese market is insanely more advanced than ours ever was and is just getting more so as the years go by.

It's also telling that it took a Japanese company (okay, two companies) to finally produce some Star Wars kits that weren't absolute dog poo poo.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Hell, for a while there was a show devoted to Gunpla builds over there. And eventually model builds in general. The Japanese really managed to sell people on the cool factor of doing models, it seems, and pushed it mainstream.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bimmi posted:

Yeah, but even in terms of aftermarket parts, tools and supplies the Japanese market is insanely more advanced than ours ever was and is just getting more so as the years go by.

It's also telling that it took a Japanese company (okay, two companies) to finally produce some Star Wars kits that weren't absolute dog poo poo.

It seems sort of intertwined. The higher quality models lead to people making more kits. The larger market gives for more incentives to company's to make aftermarket parts and tools.

Edit- seriously guys if you think a particular gundam kit made in the past 15 years is bad, try out some american model kits. It's like night and day.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 15, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, it's a chicken and egg deal. More people do gunpla because the kits are better because more people do gunpla.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It just never fell out of fashion there for some reason. It may have everything to do with the huge success of Gunpla in the '80s but you still have a number of manufacturers pushing out all kinds of different subjects while in the US we're down to Revell and the various Round 2 brands which are, by all accounts, just barely loving hanging on.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Yeah, it's a chicken and egg deal. More people do gunpla because the kits are better because more people do gunpla.

And that's the thing, it's not just Gunpla. All other genres are still alive and quite healthy over there, from all appearances. Most of the Japanese hobby shops I visited in 1994 didn't even carry Gunpla.

Monaghan posted:

Edit- seriously guys if you think a particular gundam kit made in the past 15 years is bad, try out some american model kits. It's like night and day.

A lot of American kits are still coming out of 25- to 50-year-old molds, which certainly doesn't help.

edit: for your consideration — a US-produced "science fiction" model kit that is being re-released even as I write this:

Bet the kids will go nuts for this one!

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 15, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It doesn't help that American model are dumb, and require glue just to stay together and come in all one color. A Japanese kid with ten bucks can get a cool robot that doesn't even need any tools at all. An American kid with ten dollars can get a little jeep that requires another twenty dollars of tools.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
An American kid wouldn't buy a model kit at all. That's the problem.

Although it is my impression that most of the younger crowd in this country who do build model kits are building Gunpla and nothing else.

e: both Round 2 and Revell have small lines of no-paint-no-glue assembly kits, but they can just barely be called model kits at all and aren't especially popular because, again, no one in this country gives a poo poo about models any more (I think the increasing quality of action figures over the last 20 years has something to do with this as well.)

e2: I'm a little surprised that there's been no attempt to bring the Bandai Star Wars kits over, but then again I'm not.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 16, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

e2: I'm a little surprised that there's been no attempt to bring the Bandai Star Wars kits over, but then again I'm not.

I'm sure someone at Bluefin is trying as hard as they can. With the new movies on the way they'd be a natural tie-in.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Speaking of greybeard fodder, Round 2 is apparently taking dealer preorders for an all-new 1/48 scale version of this:

and I couldn't be more excited.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Okay, this P-Bandai poo poo is getting completely out of hand:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I would be really mad about Dryon 3, except I can already tell all that gold trimming would have to be done by stickers.

Seriously though, Bandai, gently caress OFF WITH THE EXCLUSIVES!