Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I do wonder if Jinho is dead permanently. Also, yes, this was quite possibly the best episode the show has ever done, and I can't wait to see the same clues from last week again in a new light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
That ending was amazing. Is it next week yet?

I love that the writers seem to be ratcheting up the difficulty level on these cases, probably in response to the string of correct captures in the last few weeks. Hiding the shell casing in the candle is pretty ingenious. Have to remember that the next time I plan a murder.

Also Ji-Yoon's singing was hilarious, Hani's reaction to finding the gun was hilarious, and the Director getting extra sensitive about the movie he directed was hilarious.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Zythrst posted:

Worker Kim was the murderer not the victim, the victim was the chicken joint owner who was beating his wife, committing fraud and gambling away his employee's pay.

Unless I'm forgetting something the rich daughter was an alright person. I guess if you don't consider cheating on a lovely boyfriend to be a super evil thing... You have a point though, I think in the first season there were more at least "neutral" victims.

Zythrst posted:

how in the world were we to ever suspect that the Bar manager could ever access the emergency gun.

This was so bullshit, also there seemed to be a bunch of clues that just didn't fit anywhere (like what's up with the nicotine thing that both Jinho and Dongmin had?)

But then Jinho was dead so I guess those clues will be relevant now? :aaa:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I got it right again, though I admit that was partly due to paying attention to who had the most votes early and sticking to my guns. The person with high early votes also had a very suspicious thing come up right away though, so it might not have necessarily been votes based on an episode leak or anything.

Man that ending is awesome, totally looking forward to next week and Yoonji. If her and Hani just have a whole conversation in English I will lose my poo poo in dead Jinho's honor.

Thoughts on the case: As soon as we found Si Manager's gun with all 6 bullets I assumed that he had somehow gotten access to the Bridge gun and taken a bullet from there, both as a frame-up and to make sure his gun had all the bullets. I think that "Person's alibi overlaps with access to the likely murder weapon, so someone couldn't have snuck in to mess with it, and he must be the criminal" might have been reasonable in Season 1, but they've ramped things up so much in Season 2 that I could only see it as a red herring. The captain was my #2 suspect, but Jazz had his gun (though it turned out anyone could have gotten to the Bridge gun apparently, which I admit was some BS), and though he was threatened or ordered by the Triads he didn't know about the things he would have wanted to kill the victim over, primarily his stalking of Jazz Nuna and his betrayal selling drugs on the side, so his motive isn't actually that strong. I really want someone to secretly be a Triad hitman on the next episode, that'd be great.

I love how they're shaking things up this season, there was only one major change in S1 (cases going to one episode instead of spanning two episodes), and so far we've gotten a change from the ordinary in almost every episode. At this point I'm expecting the season finale to somehow take place on a two-floor set with a staircase and everything, or something else completely over the top like that. I mean, all the sets have been great, but they have to be planning something mindblowing for the season finale, right? And how crazy will the cases be next season, Korean T.V. rating permitting? I've got goosebumps!

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

NowonSA posted:

I love how they're shaking things up this season, there was only one major change in S1 (cases going to one episode instead of spanning two episodes), and so far we've gotten a change from the ordinary in almost every episode. At this point I'm expecting the season finale to somehow take place on a two-floor set with a staircase and everything, or something else completely over the top like that. I mean, all the sets have been great, but they have to be planning something mindblowing for the season finale, right? And how crazy will the cases be next season, Korean T.V. rating permitting? I've got goosebumps!

Well that's easy they just make them solve a real murder. I'm sure the Korean government would let it happen.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zythrst posted:

Well that's easy they just make them solve a real murder. I'm sure the Korean government would let it happen.

This is your challenge, find the Zodiac Killer

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

NowonSA posted:

Jazz had his gun

the transgender twist was like two episodes ago, dude!!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I really hope that Jinho being out is not a permanent thing..

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Superrodan posted:

I really hope that Jinho being out is not a permanent thing..

I don't see why it would be. This is just a two-parter case, which is pretty cool, and Jinho just happened to get the captain. Like someone pointed out, it was like the guest a couple cases ago who pulled the "you are the body" card and ended up not actually participating.

Anyway, I just want to thank this thread for existing, since I randomly clicked on it a few weeks ago (and almost clicked away). Let's just say I think the Genius is one of the best shows ever, and I was definitely not expecting to have that opinion of a random foreign show like that. I'm also a total Jinho fangirl now. :swoon:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

the transgender twist was like two episodes ago, dude!!

The gun belonged to the captain, it was his gun. Jazz took it for protection, but it was still originally his property. Thus, I used his gun, not her gun.

Clocks posted:

Anyway, I just want to thank this thread for existing, since I randomly clicked on it a few weeks ago (and almost clicked away). Let's just say I think the Genius is one of the best shows ever, and I was definitely not expecting to have that opinion of a random foreign show like that. I'm also a total Jinho fangirl now. :swoon:

Always happy to see another convert. The only person I've directly promoted the Genius to is my cousin, and he became a huge Jinho fan too after the Open/Pass game.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
You don't put 100% nicotine into an e-cig. That'll kill you. They are supposed to be diluted. A typical normal cigarette has 12mg of nicotine. A solution of e-liquid at the same concentration would have 12mg/ml. So that means the solution would have 12milligrams / gram of solution, or 1.2% nicotine. If you were put pure nicotine in you would have a heart attack, or the oxygen would be cut off to your brain and you would die. The same way if you were to just put it on your skin, nicotine can be absorbed that way too.

I wondered if that was just a flub by the writers, but no-one on the show seemed to care about that. Switching someone's e-cig to 100% might be a good way to kill them.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

It seems like the cause of death for the next ep so they probably either purposefully overlooked it or were just a bit sloppy with it in order to have that lead in. Kind of funny considering how tough/scientific the arsenic/silver clue was. People are generally not going to know that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Corn Thongs posted:

It seems like the cause of death for the next ep so they probably either purposefully overlooked it or were just a bit sloppy with it in order to have that lead in. Kind of funny considering how tough/scientific the arsenic/silver clue was. People are generally not going to know that.

I kind of knew it, but just as a general knowledge thing. If they showed the darkened cup I must have missed it. There's actually a lot of nifty ways that various poisons can be detected fairly randomly, though I don't know them off the top of my head.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just read about it on wikipedia:

quote:

Silver spoons have also been used to detect poison, particularly in the Korean Joseon Dynasty: due to its reactivity, silver tarnishes on contact with sulfur, thus detecting the presence of arsenic sulfides and warning of arsenic poisoning.[1]

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I imagine it's one of those cultural things that's quite well-known locally.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So that would be a thing that a Korean viewer would be more familiar with due to history, like how Americans would be more familiar with... interrupting plays? I dunno.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Teddybear posted:

So that would be a thing that a Korean viewer would be more familiar with due to history, like how Americans would be more familiar with... interrupting plays? I dunno.

the thermodynamic relationships of jet fuel and steel beams

dungtongue
Jan 8, 2014
I wonder if Hani will ever succeed at poisoning someone. Poor girl.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

What do you all think of the new cast members? I think Dongmin works well, though I wish there was a case where he could demonstrate his memory skills. The detective started out slow, but for the last 3 episodes he's easily been the best at solving the mysteries. Hani, unfortunately, doesn't seem to do much of anything.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I finished watching season one and having been catching up with season two and I have to say I always feel cheated when I guess the murderer incorrectly because there were some critical clues left undiscovered.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Finally guessed one right!

But I completely messed up the motive. I thought Manager had killed the First Mate in an attempt to move up the drug ring's payscale. Movie Director is on loving point.

dungtongue
Jan 8, 2014
I just noticed this.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It's only a proper Hyunmoo guest appearance if he's playing a female role.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

dungtongue posted:

I just noticed this.

The next 2 episodes will be glorious

Shakugan posted:

Hani, unfortunately, doesn't seem to do much of anything.

Hani fits well into the Yoonji role of not particularly great at the game but generally lovely

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

It should be pretty fun to see Hyunmoo and Jinho again.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rarity posted:

The next 2 episodes will be glorious

Hani fits well into the Yoonji role of not particularly great at the game but generally lovely

I'd say Hani is better at the game than Yoonji is. And plenty more adorable :allears:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Thread needs Hani's chicken dance gif from ep 6

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

ViggyNash posted:

I'd say Hani is better at the game than Yoonji is. And plenty more adorable :allears:

At this point I would say the director is the only good player. The cases are just too odd for the rest to wrap their heads around.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Soylentbits posted:

At this point I would say the director is the only good player. The cases are just too odd for the rest to wrap their heads around.

Nah Jinho has still got it, see Worker Kim. This case they just didn't find very hard to find evidence.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Zythrst posted:

Nah Jinho has still got it, see Worker Kim. This case they just didn't find very hard to find evidence.

This was never brought up but did nobody notice that two of the bullets in the gun had different backings than the rest of the bullets?

trem
Sep 17, 2009
I noticed that too and figured that it was part of the clue.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Holy poo poo episode 4

:vince:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Guy! Guys! Season 4! End of June.

https://twitter.com/Bumdidlyump/status/601301619527921664?s=09

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010

The best news to have come out! This is coming out a lot sooner than expected since the last one was around October if I recall correctly.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Crime Scene fills me with despair over how poo poo TV is in my country outside of Asia, what an amazing show. Did Dutch TV license The Genius and how did it go? Trying to think of how or if anything could get that treatment here where everybody from first grade to national news are engaged in the latest auditions for Paradise Hotel (possibly NWS).

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

While I like seeing new guests, I feel like they've done enough seasons to do an All-stars season, though maybe that's better saved for season 6 or 7. I just don't want to have to wait to see Jinho vs. the mins (Sangmin, Dongmin, Hyunmin).

Just give me rad game twists and the return of Extreme Ways (even if just for one moment) and we'll get along fine Genius.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I haven't heard anything about The dutch version of The Genius but if that ends up happening it'd probably suck since it'll probably be all boring stupid tv celebs like every game show here.

What I'm trying to say is they should have auditions so I can represent SA and look like an idiot on national TV :unsmith:

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Quoting old posts but

Suspicious Dish posted:

having 27km on the set floor that turned out not to be a thing is the biggest gently caress-you red herring ever. this case was really dumb.

Suspicious Dish posted:

they loving painted 27km on the set floor

If the taxi really was the murder's escape route it would make no sense that the distance was almost exactly 27km because the taxi would not have gone in a straight line from point A to point B. The actual traveled distance would have been a few kilometers more at least.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I hope Bandage oppa accidentally reveals himself to be Jinho by stuttering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
Is Genius S3 closer to S2 or S1?

I thought S1 was perfect but S2 seemed to have a dumber cast and less interesting games

Fight Club Sandwich fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 23, 2015