Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

I'm aware you live under the oppressive thumb of CARB but there's nothing that sounds better than a Harley v-twin through pipes. Nothing.

What's that? I'm sorry, I can't hear you disagree over the glorious potato potato!

Spoken like a man who hasn't heard the glory of an RSV4, crossplane crankshaft R1, a Testrastretta Ducati, or a CBX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Spoken like a man who's never seen a revving Harley end a Buckcherry performance.

That's God's work right there.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Customer Desmosedici, the duc and yam GP bikes (honda is kinda mechanical and angry)

and the CBX again for posterity

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
One of the coolest bikes I've heard in person was an fzr400 at the race track.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Spoken like a man who hasn't heard the glory of an RSV4, crossplane crankshaft R1, a Testrastretta Ducati, or a CBX.

:agreed:

Also I think the Harley sound is too common to be cool anymore.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

Spoken like a man who's never seen a revving Harley end a Buckcherry performance.

That's God's work right there.

hey, that's a crazy miss and you break so often wyotech ain't got poo poo

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
But but but wyotech broke...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

Buckcherry performance.

Pretenders to the throne. Judas Priest mic'ed an HD in the final encore for decades. Yes, I am now deaf. :stat:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It wasn't *part of* the performance, it just got them off the stage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

It wasn't *part of* the performance, it just got them off the stage.

Good, I'd rather listen to POTATOOOO than that terrible band.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Yep. AMF-era Harleys are objectively bad. Hard to go wrong with a sporty from the last 15 years though. The BEST one is the XR1200X but good luck even glimpsing that unicorn.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcd/5013112591.html

There was this one.

Z3n posted:

I'm not sure what Kawasaki you have, but if you're looking for good performance, like brakes that grab really well, I'm not going to put my money on Harley. The brakes on the Harleys I've ridden have all been acceptable, not anywhere near what I would consider good. SV650 is dramatically better. Fueling and stuff tends to be good, but I'm always leery when people say they're upgrading to a Harley for any reason but "I like the style and am willing to live with the compromises that style entails".

It's that 'compromises' part that gets me because I'm not 100% sure what that's about, but I've never spoken with a dissatisfied customer.

1978 KZ750, and while the pads, rotors, and tires are all in great shape it doesn't inspire much confidence. Great for tearing around town on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Revvik posted:

It's that 'compromises' part that gets me because I'm not 100% sure what that's about, but I've never spoken with a dissatisfied customer.

1978 KZ750, and while the pads, rotors, and tires are all in great shape it doesn't inspire much confidence. Great for tearing around town on.

With the exception of the XR1200X, you're not going to get anywhere near modern performance out of a Harley. It's going to be significantly heavier than sportier bikes (560 ish pounds, vs. anywhere from 330 for a ninja 250 to 450 for something like a 1290 Superduke). The brakes are going to be usable, but not the one finger brakes of a modern bike. The suspension is pretty short travel and not particularly refined. Wheels aren't the right size for most modern tires. The geometry is very lazy, not performance oriented at all. The make marginal power, and are about as fast in a straight line as a ninja 250. Cornering clearance is very limited.

They're relatively reliable, and they look the part, but basically every component of it is compromised in some way as a result of trying to hew closely to the cruiser look and aesthetic. Very few riders cross shop "harley" and "sporty", which is why the XR1200 was never a success despite being, by all reports, a really fun bike to ride.

If you want a performance oriented Harley, your only real option is the XR1200, the rest of them aren't even in the ballpark as "sporty". The XR at least is sporty and wouldn't have any problems at sane street speeds, although it'll fall on it's face against anything really performance oriented in a more aggressive environment.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 20, 2015

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
I just checked out the motorcycles on Craigslist in the area I'm moving to in two weeks. Someone has an '87 DR200 up for $400 and I am definitely considering it. Any reason that would be super dumb? I've just been interested in a little dual sport to hoon around on.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I think the XRs are really cool and I would totally love to have one, but I have gripes.

Everything in the circled area is abominable. That giant slab of pig iron and those doofy header pipes snaking around it are appropriate on a certain kind of bike, but not this one. It makes me angry that the widest part of the bike is at the bottom.

Also, gently caress a belt drive. I don't care if chains murder my firstborn son and belts usher in world peace; they look stupid and I don't like them.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Frosty- posted:

I think the XRs are really cool and I would totally love to have one, but I have gripes.

Everything in the circled area is abominable. That giant slab of pig iron and those doofy header pipes snaking around it are appropriate on a certain kind of bike, but not this one. It makes me angry that the widest part of the bike is at the bottom.

Also, gently caress a belt drive. I don't care if chains murder my firstborn son and belts usher in world peace; they look stupid and I don't like them.
Maybe you shouldn't buy one then

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Frosty- posted:

Erik knows the right way to package a unit Evo:

Frosty- posted:

The only question I have for you is: how does it feel to be so wrong?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I know I'm wrong, and I feel only the tiniest twinge of shame for it.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Tell us how BMWs and Goldwings make you feel. :haw:
Cranky.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 21, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Frosty- posted:

It makes me angry that the widest part of the bike is at the bottom.

Tell us how BMWs and Goldwings make you feel. :haw:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

If you want a performance oriented Harley, your only real option is the XR1200, the rest of them aren't even in the ballpark as "sporty". The XR at least is sporty and wouldn't have any problems at sane street speeds, although it'll fall on it's face against anything really performance oriented in a more aggressive environment.

What about these:

?

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Revvik posted:

Flogged XR

Z3n posted:

No likey me bikey

Assuming a budget near the above advertised figure, you can get an 883 or 1200 R in the same racer orange with sufficient ground clearance, twisty pipes, and double discs. It will have a tenth of the miles on the clock. It will also hold its value like nothing else in the marketplace, so at worst you'll come out even once you're done with it.

And you'll have enough left over for a half nekkid well kept SV650, for all your wheelie and knee draggin' needs. Or take your pick and bank the balance.

The gently caress all y'all option: Ducati Scrambler

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

What about these:

?

Insurance priced me out of those! Specifically, this one:

I could do purple with silver flames. And a full face so no one could see the poo poo eating grin constantly on my face.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
Advice seeking time: A friend offered me a 1995 Honda CBR1000F that needs "sprockets, chain, and carb rebuild at a minimum" (his words) for $300. Is this the worst idea? How intense of a project would this be from that little information? I am obviously going to look at it before I try anything, but I thought I'd seek advice here before I go look at it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If you can do the work yourself, and if you feel that you'd still feel comfortable with the possibility that a $300 bike may end up as a $1300 bike after you buy the parts, go for it. A mid '90s CBR1000 for under $1500 all in doesn't seem like a bad price to me, but I also enjoy wrenching.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
I love working on my current bike. I don't know enough to be comfortable doing major repairs on my only mode of transportation (My '01 KLR 650) and resort to using shops for anything more complex than battery/brakes/oil.

I would buy this to learn the serious repair work without fearing I would be stranded at my buddy's garage in Tacoma (I live in downtown Seattle). And if the cosmetic condition is as crappy as I think it is I will be extremely tempted to turn it into a Mad Max/Wasteland bike... Please don't hate me too much for that urge...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nothing of value would be lost, that bike is like the v6 camry of 90's sportybikes. Also the hurricane engine comes from before honda's mass centralisation fetish so it's very easy to work on; you could do much worse, and the principles you'll learn largely still apply to more modern/complicated bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yup, do it.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Much more punishing when it comes to poor throttle, shifting, and braking habits. Much more stable at high speed. Much more comfortable position (bent knees on my KZ felt tight after so long).

Having seen the color options on newer ones at the dealership, I would wonder why anyone would order one in black. Goes with everything I guess.

Selling my junkyard Goldwing now, and towards the end of the summer I'll probably get rid of the KZ as well.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
So my 81 Suzuki GS650 gave out on me, and I dropped it off at my friends neighbors place so he could fix it up. He was gonna do a little custom work as well as figuring out my wiring problem. He said the work would take about a month or so.

Fast forward a year later, with sporadic contact throughout. He's had a baby, he sold his business and his new job has him out of the country for weeks at a time. He simply has no time for the bike. It had ended up having bigger problems than either him and I were aware of, and he simply bit off more than he could chew. In order to make up for the time he's held my bike, he was going to give it back to me as-is, as well as a Yamaha XS1100 that also needed work, but overall was in a lot better shape and would be a lot easier to get road-ready than the Suzuki. I thought sweet, I know poo poo-all about working on bikes, I could get the Yamaha up and running and use the Suzuki to get familiar with motorcycle maintenance and repairs and all that jazz.

Now tonight rolls around and I get another call. He says he took the Suzuki down to a shop, and what he assumed would be a couple hundred dollars to fix the issues ended up being quite a bit more. His ultimate goal is to just get all this poo poo over with and not have to worry about screwing me over any more than he already has. He's offering to give me a 97 sportster 883 in exchange for my bike, as well as keeping the Yamaha.

Talking to him, it sounds like the only real work the Harley needs is a fuel/oil line, a battery, and a speedometer. I really don't want to be hosed over any more than I already have been, and I just want to get this year-long ordeal over with. Does this sound like a deal I should take seriously? Am I about to get hosed over again, or is sacrificing two 30+ year old bikes for a more modern machine worth it?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

WildWanderer posted:

I'm thinking about buying a Greek Supermoto.

One thing to think about is how much you want to wrench on it.

Xt660x has a 10k km oil/filter interval, and 20k km valve check. Any streetized Husaberg TM or husq offroader has oil change in engine running time, as in like every 15 hours. sure you can go longer, but you'll need to watch the oil like a hawk. Thats the price of putting out high hp at from a low cc engine in a bike engineered for constant maintainance.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Take the Harley.

And how were you screwed over exactly? The guy who was fixing your bike is feeling guilty because he took so long and is going to give you a free bike. That's what I got out of this story.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Backov posted:

Take the Harley.

And how were you screwed over exactly? The guy who was fixing your bike is feeling guilty because he took so long and is going to give you a free bike. That's what I got out of this story.

Well I say screwed over because a lot of the past year has been me trying to contact him to no avail, and when I finally did reach him I'd discover no work had been done. I'd often go months at a time with no reply to texts or calls. I mean I totally understand why, his job has him crazy preoccupied, but he admittedly bit off more than he could chew and it's left me bikeless for a year, on what was quoted as a month's worth of work. Maybe saying I was screwed over is a tad overzealous, but it's been frustrating.

Edit: Maybe "jerked around" would be a better way of describing how I feel about the situation.

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 22, 2015

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale

Z3n posted:

The 625/640 engine version LC4s are sort of hit or miss on reliability, due to KTM using questionable bearing manufacturers for awhile. Any possibility of finding an XR650R that's been converted to sumo? That'd be the bang to buck option in the US. Honestly, the primary determination in quality is going to be previous owner, or I'd just buy the cheapest one you can find and bodge it along until it pops and sell the carcass for 500 euro and repeat.

I wouldn't recommend TM, Husky, or Husaberg for generally reliable though, unless support is way better out there.

Hey Z3n, thanks for your input and sorry for my less-than-timely response. Some stuff came up at work and motorcycles got stuck on back-burner.

Unfortunately, I've found that pretty much every desirable Japanese-made SUMO is out of my price range. The XR650R, from what I have read, seems like it would be a great option if I were back stateside, but not in the cards given my situation and location. Luckily LC4-based bikes are a dime a dozen here, and after speaking with the local tech, my mind has been put at ease. I've actually got one lined up to buy early this coming week.

But now I found this:
http://www.car.gr/classifieds/bikes/view/6445132/

God help me, I couldn't stop myself. I called the owner as soon as I saw the ad, and I've already made arrangements to go and test drive that loving unicorn tonight. Please somebody, stop me from doing something stupid.

Or... if you have any experience, tell me what I might be getting myself into.

WildWanderer fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 22, 2015

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Ibexaz posted:

Am I about to get hosed

Probably. This guy hasn't exactly established a pattern of credibility, now has he? So why do you think the doubletalk and evasion ends now? If the HD was that close to running, it would either be a) fixed or b) the one in the shop now. Possible he sees yours as a more viable bike and wants to clean out the garage and get rid of his jacked projects.

If they're all non-runners, then the most valuable of them would no doubt be the Sporty, UNLESS the XS is a Midnight Special in pristine cosmetic condition and it doesn't require a ton of unobtainium.

If he failed to perform for whatever reason, then handing over your bike in the same state you left it in is an acceptable outcome. No one is so overcome by remorse that they start handing over keys and titles and footing the repair bill for a bike they don't want.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 22, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Marv Hushman posted:

Probably. This guy hasn't exactly established a pattern of credibility, now has he? So why do you think the doubletalk and evasion ends now? If the HD was that close to running, it would either be a) fixed or b) the one in the shop now. Possible he sees yours as a more viable bike and wants to clean out the garage and get rid of his jacked projects.

If they're all non-runners, then the most valuable of them would no doubt be the Sporty, UNLESS the XS is a Midnight Special in pristine cosmetic condition and it doesn't require a ton of unobtainium.

If he failed to perform for whatever reason, then handing over your bike in the same state you left it in is an acceptable outcome. No one is so overcome by remorse that they start handing over keys and titles and footing the repair bill for a bike they don't want.

Yeah, no such thing as a free lunch. Get your bike back.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ibexaz posted:

Well I say screwed over because a lot of the past year has been me trying to contact him to no avail, and when I finally did reach him I'd discover no work had been done. I'd often go months at a time with no reply to texts or calls. I mean I totally understand why, his job has him crazy preoccupied, but he admittedly bit off more than he could chew and it's left me bikeless for a year, on what was quoted as a month's worth of work. Maybe saying I was screwed over is a tad overzealous, but it's been frustrating.

Edit: Maybe "jerked around" would be a better way of describing how I feel about the situation.

I'd say just take all the bikes and let god sort it out. The bikes probably aren't in as good of shape as he thinks, but you'll still come out ahead on it all.

GET TITLES.

WildWanderer posted:

Hey Z3n, thanks for your input and sorry for my less-than-timely response. Some stuff came up at work and motorcycles got stuck on back-burner.

Unfortunately, I've found that pretty much every desirable Japanese-made SUMO is out of my price range. The XR650R, from what I have read, seems like it would be a great option if I were back stateside, but not in the cards given my situation and location. Luckily LC4-based bikes are a dime a dozen here, and after speaking with the local tech, my mind has been put at ease. I've actually got one lined up to buy early this coming week.

But now I found this:
http://www.car.gr/classifieds/bikes/view/6445132/

God help me, I couldn't stop myself. I called the owner as soon as I saw the ad, and I've already made arrangements to go and test drive that loving unicorn tonight. Please somebody, stop me from doing something stupid.

Or... if you have any experience, tell me what I might be getting myself into.

No worries man :)

I think you should buy the RS250, just because why the gently caress not? It'll be one of those experiences. Make sure you understand what you're getting into with the 1800 euro 2t though. Maybe just ride it for awhile and then resell it. If you've got a local tech that's comfortable with the problems of the early LC4s, you should be fine for a sumo when the day comes.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
There is an ad on CL near me for 2 1978 CX500s for $900. They look pretty clean(no visible rust or trashed sidecovers that I can see in the photos), original seats(one is torn, not a big surprise for 37-year old upholstery), clean titles advertised as well as "running when parked." No date when they were parked, of course.

I've rebuilt an old Honda before for my first bike. It wasn't that bad or expensive to do. Tell me this isn't some sort of latent Stockholm syndrome rearing its head and that I will actually enjoy having a sweet-rear end proto-goldwing(or two, depending on how many parts get scavenged from one to the other) with slash pipes to roll around town in.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My mate had one that I worked on a lot. They're very robust engines by the standard of the time, and relatively easy to work on unless you want to remove the fan, which is driven by the engine instead of electrically. Dirt simple in every other way. The one I rode felt peculiarly balanced but I haven't ridden enough old lovely bikes to give a comparative idea. Like it felt low to the ground but somehow precariously balanced at the same time.

I liked the way it rode a LOT more than the way it looked. Like a budget guzzi I guess? Also really, really easy to diagnose which cylinder is misfiring :)

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Well, depending on how they look in person, I may be getting some new old bieks soon. Seems like a pretty good "hooray new job and raise" present to myself :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner

Slavvy posted:

Nothing of value would be lost, that bike is like the v6 camry of 90's sportybikes. Also the hurricane engine comes from before honda's mass centralisation fetish so it's very easy to work on; you could do much worse, and the principles you'll learn largely still apply to more modern/complicated bikes.

Handshake sale agreement done, a little extra cash earned with a motion capture performance gig, and uhaul motorcycle trailer rental reserved for the 30th. I'll post photos when I pick it up!