Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Annath posted:

Can you get unsober on caffeine?
No bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I want to fit in :(

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Drink up. You'll be expected to go get sloshed at 8am with your coworkers.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Yes 7am mimosas is the best perk of working nights. That, and going the opposite way of traffic.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Bum the Sad posted:

Truth. Also learn to like shots, some shifts are worse than others.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Yes 7am mimosas is the best perk of working nights. That, and going the opposite way of traffic.

Also when you're driving home after your 8am bar trip the cops aren't looking for drunks.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Vegas is loving great for night shift. Only thing I'll miss about this place.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Absurd alcohol tolerance runs in my family. I can down shots like a champ.

I just don't like to. The idea of loss of inhibition makes me nervous :/

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Stop being a nerd. You might get your fat rear end laid.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Bum the Sad posted:

Stop being a nerd. You might get your fat rear end laid.

Uncle Bum, why you gotta be so salty :saddowns:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Annath posted:

I'm a real son of a bitch and 5 years in the ICU didn't help. I am actually giving sound life advice right now, it's about as sweet as I get.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Annath posted:

Is this your first real world job? We are just breaking you in.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Annath posted:

Hahaha aww buddy

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Most of my night shift workers don't daydrink immediately after a shift and it makes me sad, so I have to do it by myself. :( The lack of not-poo poo bars anywhere near the hospital is a huge problem.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Don't worry, I'm not as naive as I come across.

I've been employed in retail since I was 15, so I have some level of understanding. I seriously hardly ever drink though. Just not my thing.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Annath posted:

Don't worry, I'm not as naive as I come across.

I've been employed in retail since I was 15, so I have some level of understanding. I seriously hardly ever drink though. Just not my thing.

Ok I'm going to say it. You can't rely on this thread and the Healthcare Stories thread for all your advice. You've got to figure some of this out on your own. We're more than happy to give advice but being resourceful is important too.

Lol at retail experience. ;)

Go out with your coworkers, don't be a party pooper.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 4, 2015

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Boozebonding makes for tight teams.

Our going away party is 9 nurses and 3 bartenders right this moment.

Living the dream

Edit. Annath find me in Jotunheim. Got a crew.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Bum the Sad posted:

QFT. Depending on how the night goes, we either slam it at a dank dive or enjoy the morning at a classy cafe with a pitcher of Grand Marnier mimosas.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!
When I worked straight night 12s, I worked 4 on, 4 off, 4 on, 4 off, 4 on, 8 off. I shifted my sleep schedule 4 or 5 hours when I had 4 off, and only flipped when I had 8 off. One week per month wasn't great, but it worked. For about 20 months.

There is one bar here known for being the 3rd shifters' hangout. Opens at 7, packed by 8 with nurses, paramedics, and so on; happens to be attached to a Holiday Inn, so rooms are available.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Koivunen posted:

Ok I'm going to say it. You can't rely on this thread and the Healthcare Stories thread for all your advice. You've got to figure some of this out on your own. We're more than happy to give advice but being resourceful is important too.

Lol at retail experience. ;)

Go out with your coworkers, don't be a party pooper.

Fair enough.

Right now I have to make a budget and continue studying for NCLEX.

I'll work on my drinking game later ;)

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Annath posted:

Fair enough.

Right now I have to make a budget and continue studying for NCLEX.

I'll work on my drinking game later ;)

You're getting $6.75/hr differential, that's basically a drink an hour.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

You guys could be cool like one of our anesthesiologists and just drink at work...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

So basically, instead of buying The Merck Manual, I should have purchased The Ultimate Bar Book?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

I'd murder for that differential.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ravenfood posted:

I'd murder for that differential.

They didn't tell me what the differential would be during the interview, only that there was one.

Then they offered me days or nights, and the differential made it a lot more attractive.

One of my big priorities right now is building a savings/emergency fund.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Annath posted:

One of my big priorities right now is building a savings/emergency fund.

Hookers and blow. You are young.

edit: But seriously congrats. Make sure you start a 401k that at least gets you your full matching percent if you plan to stay at that hospital long term (mine is 5 years to fully vest matching contributions). Free retirebucks FTW.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

djfooboo posted:

Hookers and blow. You are young.

edit: But seriously congrats. Make sure you start a 401k that at least gets you your full matching percent if you plan to stay at that hospital long term (mine is 5 years to fully vest matching contributions). Free retirebucks FTW.

I mean I'm 24 lol.

I need to see if my bank has financial advisors to talk to.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Annath posted:

I mean I'm 24 lol.

I need to see if my bank has financial advisors to talk to.

To be fair, the chances of you needing an emergency fund past say...8K is kind of pointless. I don't want to be this anarachist/the world is hosed guy, but you should probably enjoy your life/expenditures at least until you're early 30's. You're probably going to be working into your 60's, you might as well have fun into your 30's. Once you hit that age, you'll find yourself in a position where you're making more money, and squandering cash away for a 401k/retirement is more manageable. Enjoy life, drink and buy poo poo you like. When you hit your 30's you're essentially washed up and either your vagina is gaping/dick don't work. Start saving for your depends and denture cleaning solution then.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Yes have fun, but do put in the max to match your 401k (if they match half of what you put in up to 3%, for example, pop in 6%). You'll never miss that little money, and it will be handy later.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

MurderBot posted:

To be fair, the chances of you needing an emergency fund past say...8K is kind of pointless. I don't want to be this anarachist/the world is hosed guy, but you should probably enjoy your life/expenditures at least until you're early 30's. You're probably going to be working into your 60's, you might as well have fun into your 30's. Once you hit that age, you'll find yourself in a position where you're making more money, and squandering cash away for a 401k/retirement is more manageable. Enjoy life, drink and buy poo poo you like. When you hit your 30's you're essentially washed up and either your vagina is gaping/dick don't work. Start saving for your depends and denture cleaning solution then.

This is... bad advice.

Compound interest rocks, and a small amount of savings when you're young is worth far more than a similar amount later. People are also really bad at adjusting their financial habits as they age. "Oh I'll save in my thirties" is what a lot of my paycheck-to-paycheck coworkers were saying twenty years ago and many of them make around 100k. Life also gets more expensive, not less. You end up with a house that needs expensive repairs, kids and ever growing medical bills as you get older.

You don't need to be a lunatic who lives in a cardboard box, eats Ramen and maxes out their 401k every year at the price of having any joy in your life, but if you're entering a profession like nursing where you're going to be making significantly more than most working Americans, you can easily save and have a blast.

You really, really don't want to be that sixty year old nurse still working med-surg.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 4, 2015

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

lol if you think you're not going to be working in your 60's. Unless you make some profound investments and you're making loving bank, we're all going to be working in our 60's. I don't know a single nurse who's making 100k in their twenties unless they're working 7 shifts a week and pulling some baller rear end overtime. Most of the recent graduate nurses I know are throwing down 1/3rd to a half *depending on prestige of school* of a paycheck each month towards student loans, and they're only looking at 55k/year.

double edit: if you're working Med-Surg in your 60's then I think you failed at nursing and saving money is probably the least of your worries.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 5, 2015

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Post work/day drinking is a perk to both night shifters and people who work from home, just saying!

In school news, I'm on track to start end of August! Got most of my vaccines done, and getting the 2nd tb test next week. At this point my to do list is finally getting manageable...

Quitting work is terrifying me though. I have student loans and all that, and my wife will be working but it still freaks me out. It'll be better once I actually have the disbursements, and scholarships (or so I tell myself!)

Anyone got good recommendations for shoes/scrubs? Places to get them at decent prices?

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Finagle posted:

Quitting work is terrifying me though. I have student loans and all that, and my wife will be working but it still freaks me out. It'll be better once I actually have the disbursements, and scholarships (or so I tell myself!)

Anyone got good recommendations for shoes/scrubs? Places to get them at decent prices?

First of all, congratulations! I started my clinical portion of my degree in January and despite my boring OB rotation (grumblegrumble) I love it. Are you doing an ADN or BSN program?

I had to quit working to get through school too. Between studying and kids and working I would have killed myself. We've been making it so far with my loans and my husband's salary, and we have two children. It's tight but it can be done. My best advice is to set a budget every month and stick to it. We don't, but we should. Some months we cut it really close and we can't save right now, which sucks since we're pretty old (forums old - 31). I'm dying to graduate so we can get back to living a normal life. Do you have kids? It's easier without them, obviously.

As for scrubs - your school lets you pick your brand? That's loving awesome. We have to order them from a certain vendor and they're the scratchiest loving things ever.

For shoes, the consensus seems to be K-Swiss Tubes. I haven't gotten them but I'm going to order them this week. I've been wearing Reebok classics and my arches are killing me.

Congrats again!

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

apathetic JAP posted:

First of all, congratulations! I started my clinical portion of my degree in January and despite my boring OB rotation (grumblegrumble) I love it. Are you doing an ADN or BSN program?

I had to quit working to get through school too. Between studying and kids and working I would have killed myself. We've been making it so far with my loans and my husband's salary, and we have two children. It's tight but it can be done. My best advice is to set a budget every month and stick to it. We don't, but we should. Some months we cut it really close and we can't save right now, which sucks since we're pretty old (forums old - 31). I'm dying to graduate so we can get back to living a normal life. Do you have kids? It's easier without them, obviously.

As for scrubs - your school lets you pick your brand? That's loving awesome. We have to order them from a certain vendor and they're the scratchiest loving things ever.

For shoes, the consensus seems to be K-Swiss Tubes. I haven't gotten them but I'm going to order them this week. I've been wearing Reebok classics and my arches are killing me.

Congrats again!

Thanks! It's a MSN program, actually! I'm switching careers and already have a bachelor's, so it seemed to make the most sense. I'd need it (eventually) anyways, so why not go for it? Plus the market in my area is already saturated with nurses, so anything that can make me stand out as a fresh grad is a good thing.

The budget thing is going to be rough. Its not that we're huge spenders, just going to to be a huge change all at once! We do have a kid, but just one so that helps (some!) I'm hoping that I can work part time at least a -little-, but that's pretty much up in the air and depends on the workload and clinical hours. That's the most frustrating thing really, trying to plan when everything is just "gotta wait and see!"

That's an interesting point on the scrub brand. I... just assumed that I could get them anywhere and just had to match colors. I may need to look into that.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Finagle posted:

Thanks! It's a MSN program, actually! I'm switching careers and already have a bachelor's, so it seemed to make the most sense. I'd need it (eventually) anyways, so why not go for it? Plus the market in my area is already saturated with nurses, so anything that can make me stand out as a fresh grad is a good thing.

The budget thing is going to be rough. Its not that we're huge spenders, just going to to be a huge change all at once! We do have a kid, but just one so that helps (some!) I'm hoping that I can work part time at least a -little-, but that's pretty much up in the air and depends on the workload and clinical hours. That's the most frustrating thing really, trying to plan when everything is just "gotta wait and see!"

That's an interesting point on the scrub brand. I... just assumed that I could get them anywhere and just had to match colors. I may need to look into that.

That's awesome! What kind of MSN? Just a general MSN to go into nurse management or education or specialized clinical nursing? My goal is to eventually get an advanced degree. I'm in an ADN program but I'm applying to a bridge to BSN program as soon as they open for Fall 2016 enrollment. We have a lot of great hospitals around here but none of them want ADNs. I knew this going in, but it's cheaper to get the ADN and then the BSN and our program has a lot of partnerships with Philadelphia area Universities.

I was really frustrated before our orientation too. Once you have all of the info you'll breathe a little easier.

Most places you'll have to at least have the school logo and your name embroidered onto the scrubs. We needed scrubs and a lab jacket (which nobody ever wears, ever). When will you find everything out? Do they have an orientation scheduled?

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

apathetic JAP posted:

That's awesome! What kind of MSN? Just a general MSN to go into nurse management or education or specialized clinical nursing? My goal is to eventually get an advanced degree. I'm in an ADN program but I'm applying to a bridge to BSN program as soon as they open for Fall 2016 enrollment. We have a lot of great hospitals around here but none of them want ADNs. I knew this going in, but it's cheaper to get the ADN and then the BSN and our program has a lot of partnerships with Philadelphia area Universities.

I was really frustrated before our orientation too. Once you have all of the info you'll breathe a little easier.

Most places you'll have to at least have the school logo and your name embroidered onto the scrubs. We needed scrubs and a lab jacket (which nobody ever wears, ever). When will you find everything out? Do they have an orientation scheduled?

Just a general one. Its this one here: http://www.xavier.edu/msn/midas.cfm I actually thought they'd turned me down, and was finishing up my pre-reqs for an ADN program when Xavier emailed me and was like "just kidding, you're in". I'm really blown away by that, I honestly thought I just didn't have the grades with my Bachelor's.

I don't have a -date- for an Orientation yet, but between getting the last pre-req finished (Microbiology), a 7 month old, and working full-time, and getting the list of "do this before school starts" done, I may just have missed it. I'm sure they will have something though. Just getting that list of "Stuff to get done" was a huge relief, that's for sure.

The lab jacket definitely has the school logo on it, and we have name badges. The scrubs, according to the packet, just need to be blue. I sent my contact person an email though, just to make sure.

I figure I'll know more about everything I'm still clueless on later this month or beginning of July. Most of my paperwork doesn't have to be in before the end of July, so there's that.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Finagle posted:

Just a general one. Its this one here: http://www.xavier.edu/msn/midas.cfm I actually thought they'd turned me down, and was finishing up my pre-reqs for an ADN program when Xavier emailed me and was like "just kidding, you're in". I'm really blown away by that, I honestly thought I just didn't have the grades with my Bachelor's.

I don't have a -date- for an Orientation yet, but between getting the last pre-req finished (Microbiology), a 7 month old, and working full-time, and getting the list of "do this before school starts" done, I may just have missed it. I'm sure they will have something though. Just getting that list of "Stuff to get done" was a huge relief, that's for sure.

The lab jacket definitely has the school logo on it, and we have name badges. The scrubs, according to the packet, just need to be blue. I sent my contact person an email though, just to make sure.

I figure I'll know more about everything I'm still clueless on later this month or beginning of July. Most of my paperwork doesn't have to be in before the end of July, so there's that.

I know the feeling. It's great to check the final thing off the list. And I'm insanely jealous if it turns you get to pick your own scrub brand. Congratulations again, man! :woop:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 19, 2016

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Hey, alright, first semester done. Moving on to big boys clinicals. Really liking everything so far. A bit stressful and worried about passing a class towards the end of the last semester but alas.

How about that pharm eh? Eh? Any advice besides flash cards?

Hit me with your favorite apps for school and general nursing. Really like cram for making flash cards for the classes I'm in. Best for double checking dosage calc and such?

Memorize.

Learn math better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Got It thanks