Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The biggest barrier to OS X 10.11 adoption is the crappy name.

Also, I bet Finder doesn't even get touched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Helvetica Neue had a short term as the OS X system font. :rip:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
We hardly Neue ye.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

We hardly Neue ye.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

We hardly Neue ye.

:golfclap:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jose Oquendo posted:

We hardly Neue ye.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

Hmm, I'm having Safari hanging problems since yesterday. Never noticed it before but it's happening constantly. A tab will hang while loading, I can still scroll down the page but the scrollbar stays at the top. After a while, the page is white / unrendered. It's like it can't render the entire page. It happens on The Verge articles 8 times out of 10 and other places as well. I only have 1 extension: AdBlock and I tried disabling it. No change.

When it hangs, the little cross icon on a tab does not close the tab. However, right clicking and choosing "close tab" will indeed close it. I can then "try again" to load the site. Sometimes it works, sometimes it hangs and cuts of further along the page.

Any ideas ? It doing it constantly on The Verge makes me thing it's resource related, or maybe flash or HTML5 video related.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Yossarko posted:

Hmm, I'm having Safari hanging problems since yesterday. Never noticed it before but it's happening constantly. A tab will hang while loading, I can still scroll down the page but the scrollbar stays at the top. After a while, the page is white / unrendered. It's like it can't render the entire page. It happens on The Verge articles 8 times out of 10 and other places as well. I only have 1 extension: AdBlock and I tried disabling it. No change.

When it hangs, the little cross icon on a tab does not close the tab. However, right clicking and choosing "close tab" will indeed close it. I can then "try again" to load the site. Sometimes it works, sometimes it hangs and cuts of further along the page.

Any ideas ? It doing it constantly on The Verge makes me thing it's resource related, or maybe flash or HTML5 video related.

I know this seems like a copout answer, but The Verge is a little notorious for being a poorly-performing website on all browsers. At least it used to be, I haven't visited it/seen people talk about it lately so I don't know if they changed things.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I know this seems like a copout answer, but The Verge is a little notorious for being a poorly-performing website on all browsers. At least it used to be, I haven't visited it/seen people talk about it lately so I don't know if they changed things.

No, The Verge website is still the unofficial browser/CPU stress test for testing system and scrolling performance.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Yossarko posted:

I was having problems similar to this on a few websites until I updated to whatever the latest version of OSX is right now.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
There's a site I visit once in a while for work and it does that too, I just assumed it's because I'm running the 10.10.4 beta though. It could just be too much HTML5 since the site I'm going to is pretty heavy on it?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Some sites are just a bitch, and yeah the Verge is one of them. If you have some ad blocking extensions, or just any modifying type extensions really, you might want to try disabling them cause some combinations of things with them can make things worse. I remember at one point an ad blocker + floating status bar thing made Amazon destroy CPU when it was totally fine without any extensions.

Side note: 10.11 has some new extension feature for high performance load blocking content, sounds like it would be applicable to ad blockers.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

robodex posted:

It could just be too much HTML5 since the site I'm going to is pretty heavy on it?

"Too much HTML5" is not really a thing. It's more that they are just running too many external ad-tracking/sharing scripts. Look at this insane list:

If you run Google's page speed tester on it:

Technically speaking, it's just a giant mess of a site.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

cbirdsong posted:

"Too much HTML5" is not really a thing. It's more that they are just running too many external ad-tracking/sharing scripts. Look at this insane list:

loving hell.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
The Verge sucks .. who didn't know that?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's not just The Verge. Internet journalism is a massive invasive surveillance system. This is a pretty good overview.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Verge does suck tho.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

cbirdsong posted:

this can't be true - im sure nilay 'im not a loving suit' patel would have had a hissy fit about it unless... his entire system of self actualization was a sham... could it be?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Nice thread title change

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.11\ Developer\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ 10.11\ Developer\ Beta.app --nointeraction
For anyone interested in USB installation media: this seems to work for DP1.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I kind of already saw that in the Hackintosh topic, which I am still following for some reason or other, even though I have no active Hackintosh setups. Also, it looks like enMTW will be taking over as OP of a new Hackintosh topic. He and some newbie just spent some 70+ posts walking through installation process of a new Hack.

enMTW posted:

CreateInstallMedia is still present and works, which is nice.

On the other hand: "USB storage devices, including internal SD card readers, may become unavailable after system sleep and require either re-plug or restart to recover.
USB input devices may become non-functional on some Macs after several days.
USB 1.0, 1.1 and older 2.0 devices may not function."

A new low, even for a DP1 :D

This does sort of scare me away from even considering trying the new DP, since I have no test hardware anyway, just two primary use machines that I oscillate between on a random basis.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Can anyone with DP1 check what rev of OpenGL it uses? I'm kind of hoping they update it to 4.5 before they ditch it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is this what you were looking for? Seems to say 4.1

e: 4.1 for the software renderer, too.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

carry on then posted:

Is this what you were looking for? Seems to say 4.1

e: 4.1 for the software renderer, too.

Yeah :(

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Probably a dumb question, but I've searched and can't seem to find out how to do this, just a link on the author's website saying you CAN.

I use KyPass Companion on my MBPr and KyPass 3 on my iPhone.
Previously, they were both sync'd to DropBox but now somehow at some point my iPhone is syncing to iCloud Drive while my MBPr is still using DropBox.
The problem IS I can't figure out where to set KyPass Companion on my Mac to use iCloud Drive. According to the dev the functionality is there, but I can't find anything on his website about how to do it.

(Also, oddly, if I search my Mac I can see the .kdbx file in my iCloud folder, but if I simply navigate to the folder without searching it's not visible, thoughts?)

Any tips on merging the two different databases would also be much appreciated, I feel like an idiot for somehow not noticing that I split them up whenever it happened.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's not just The Verge. Internet journalism is a massive invasive surveillance system. This is a pretty good overview.
I wish somebody would port NoScript to Safari. I tried using 'JavaScript Blocker' or whatever that got posted earlier and it just made Safari beach all immediately upon starting up.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

cbirdsong posted:

Time to update the ol' hosts file!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

TACD posted:

I wish somebody would port NoScript to Safari. I tried using 'JavaScript Blocker' or whatever that got posted earlier and it just made Safari beach all immediately upon starting up.

you could just use ublock and activate the blocklists that block ad/tracking requests - at this point every site ever makes some use of javascript so having a whitelist seems like more trouble than it's worth

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
In Photos on Mac OS X, is there any way to resize an image? I needed to send some photos taken with my iPhone that were not 8mp in size so I thought it'd be easy. But when looking up the photos on my MacBook there appeared to be no way to resize any of them. I could slap on a filter and crop, but no resize.

I have several other programs that can do that, but at that time having the photos shared on both devices, using Photos would have been ideal. I can't find anything with Google or Photos in-app help function. Doesn't help that searching for 'resize Apple Photos mac os x" gets me no results from this year. Yay for generic software names.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I don't use Photos but File > Export might give you size options. If you're sending them via email, Mail should give you different size options too.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I plan on upgrading the HDDs on my Mac Mini. Is it possible to install OSX on the new drives via USB, then move them into the MacMini afterwards?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

lol internet. posted:

I plan on upgrading the HDDs on my Mac Mini. Is it possible to install OSX on the new drives via USB, then move them into the MacMini afterwards?

I think you can control where the install goes during the setup process. Curious on why you want to do it that way, though.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Cozmosis posted:

I think you can control where the install goes during the setup process. Curious on why you want to do it that way, though.

Taking apart the Mac Mini would be a pain in the rear end so I am leaving it till the weekend because I wouldn't have enough time during the week after work. If I could do the install first seperately, it would save me some time overall on the weekend.

I know you can install it onto the USB drive, but I'm wondering if it would boot up if the drive is plugged into the OS as an actual drive and not through USB.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think it should work as long as you got the right partition format and stuff and not doing anything fancy.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Generic Monk posted:

you could just use ublock and activate the blocklists that block ad/tracking requests - at this point every site ever makes some use of javascript so having a whitelist seems like more trouble than it's worth

A month or two ago I turned on blocking 3rd party frames in uBlock and that breaks way less than you might expect. About the only thing I notice broken regularly is missing youtube embeds, and that's a click or two to whitelist for sites I care about it on. Tried loading theverge homepage just now and got 17 (39%) requests blocked.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

lol internet. posted:

Taking apart the Mac Mini would be a pain in the rear end so I am leaving it till the weekend because I wouldn't have enough time during the week after work. If I could do the install first seperately, it would save me some time overall on the weekend.

I know you can install it onto the USB drive, but I'm wondering if it would boot up if the drive is plugged into the OS as an actual drive and not through USB.

It should work. I looked at that option (USB or Firewire on a SSD) as a way to get around opening the Mini up. I ended up just gritting through installing an internal SSD.

I wish I could tell you opening a Mac Mini wasn't as difficult as it looks.

Choadmaster posted:

I don't use Photos but File > Export might give you size options. If you're sending them via email, Mail should give you different size options too.

Tried that. Very limited export options (pretty much 'original' or 'modified' and file folder.

Mail might work, except I don't use the Mail app. It's very possible you can't resize images. I guess for personal photos, most people wouldn't want or need to resize their images beyond what their social media sites do automatically. Still, pretty odd to not have that capability.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 10, 2015

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Preview can do image resizing.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Tried that. Very limited export options (pretty much 'original' or 'modified' and file folder.

What additional resizing options are you looking for that aren't there?

The thought process is that you wouldn't "resize" a photo within the database because it's stored in the database. You resize a copy after you get it out of the database (exporting) so that the original is preserved.

slomomofo posted:

Preview can do image resizing.

^This for individual photos. It can also do un-constrained resizing.
Automator can do bulk resizing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So I'm doing a clean-install of Yosemite, too much stuff held over from beta builds that are causing issues and I want to start fresh.

I'm in the process of backing stuff up to external HDDs and was wondering what sort of non-obvious stuff I should be copying?

This is what I'm backing up so far:

Also should I bother copying all the files stored on my iCloud drive? My plan was to just put them back in the appropriate folders when I do a clean install but I think OS X treats the iCloud drive file structure a bit differently from the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If I had an external drive big enough, I would just clone the whole thing to it.
Then if poo poo hits the fan you could just boot off your clone or plug it in and all your old stuff is there.