Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Takagi-san is amazing, but not surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That new chapter of Demon King might be the best one yet

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Do you want to know more about Japanese junk food? No? Well tough, because Dagashi Kashi is here to educate your rear end.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 9, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tarezax posted:

Do you want to know more about Japanese junk food? No? Well tough, because Dagashi Kashi is here to educate your rear end.

Dagashi Kashi fits the bill because it is both educational and surreal for the fact that, apparently, their entire existence revolves around REALLY IMPORTANT JAPANESE CANDY.

DoubleDonut posted:

Please put Takagi-san in the new op, just so everyone can read it and then lament the lack of recent updates

This is something everyone should read, but isn't surreal enough. Maybe people should flog it more in the Shounen thread, or hell, even make a thread of its own!

Though, if there's one thing that needs bemoaning, it's My Neighbor Seki because someone really needs to freaking update that!!! There was a time when chapters could be counted on to be scanlated weekly, or in big batches every month, and now it seems to have fallen off the radar! :smith:

I have to give a big shout-out to Sekitsui House, even if coathat thinks it's bad, because it reminds me of Franken Fran and is bizarre and surreal as hell. Someone described it once as "Dowman Seiman-lite", which is a rather apt description. It has much of the same weird/spooky atmosphere, but feels a lot lighter.

Also, :siren:new Takeo-Chan's Daily Oni Mansion Adventures:siren: It's still lovely, spooky, and heartwarming as always, even if ...

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 9, 2015

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen any Old man Frog mentioned, It's one of my favorites.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I feel like And Yet the Town Turns or whatever the English title is is a strong contender, though I suppose the "weird" parts are far between enough sometimes that it loses some thread-relevancy points.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

I feel like And Yet the Town Turns or whatever the English title is is a strong contender, though I suppose the "weird" parts are far between enough sometimes that it loses some thread-relevancy points.

Soremachi is amazing, and it's got plenty of weird parts. I love that manga! Remember that bizarre alien chapter, or the one where Hotori traveled to an alternate dimension where she didn't exist? Oh, and the chapter where she died and went to heaven! So I think we could wedge it in an "Honorable Mentions" section , same with Takagi-san, I guess. The "Good Daily Life mangas with a bit of a quirky atmosphere" section.

The author of that is actually quite good at writing mysteries. I almost wish he'd go full-on and write a mystery manga involving a dorky, crime-solving maid like Hotori or something. Or just turn Soremachi into a straight-up mystery manga. It'd be fun!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 9, 2015

coathat
May 21, 2007

All his manga are about variations of Kon-senpai for the most part

coathat
May 21, 2007

Hanashippanashi is by far the best of this made up genre. Igarashi is one beast of an artist. The number of people on his level is probably in the single digits. http://www.mangahere.co/manga/hanashippanashi/

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I did a quick search but didn't see it in the thread but felt it fit.

New Normal - Class 8

The main character is a kid with an ever growing head. He is constantly made fun of in his current school, getting stuck in doors and what not. Until one day he transfers to a new school, and his classmates all have something unique about them like long arms, literal cat girl, goat lady teacher, tiny girl whatever. It's about them going to school and using their uniqueness and living with and what have you.

It's kind of cool people should read it.

edit: Oh yeah, this was recommended in the manwha thread which seems to be dying a slow and painful death but I don't know why. There's a few other manwha I think would fit this thread.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 10, 2015

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Also, :siren:new Takeo-Chan's Daily Oni Mansion Adventures:siren: It's still lovely, spooky, and heartwarming as always, even if ...

Takeo-chan delivers again! Things seem to be getting a bit real in this chapter, too. We might be seeing the beginnings of an actual story arc here besides Takeo's character development.

If you aren't reading this loving manga right now drop everything and do it jesus christ this is so good and I'm fanboying so hard over it god drat

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Takeo-chan delivers again! Things seem to be getting a bit real in this chapter, too. We might be seeing the beginnings of an actual story arc here besides Takeo's character development.

If you aren't reading this loving manga right now drop everything and do it jesus christ this is so good and I'm fanboying so hard over it god drat

Yeah, we gotta see the story behind that insane curse of hers. Good plot development this time! Also that running gag of literally everyone, from Charon to King Enma, being absolutely shocked by her. EHHHH??! Very One Piece-ish.

Who was looking for the next chapter of Zai X 10? It turns out here it is! ... What a twist!!!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

By the by, the Japanese pronunciation (as written on the covers/title pages) of the "Zai x 10" title (juuzai) translates to both "10 crimes" and "serious crime"; "juu" being "serious/heavy" (or "10") and "zai" being "crime".

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I have to give a big shout-out to Sekitsui House, even if coathat thinks it's bad, because it reminds me of Franken Fran and is bizarre and surreal as hell. Someone described it once as "Dowman Seiman-lite", which is a rather apt description. It has much of the same weird/spooky atmosphere, but feels a lot lighter.

Speaking of, chapter 3 is out, introducing us to the third--and by far most normal--shopkeeper.

Load-bearing tree :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Centaur's Worries is...really something else

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Captain Invictus posted:

Centaur's Worries is...really something else

I'm the kind of person who likes the cutesy slice-of-life stuff and the alien invasion stuff in equal measure, so I absolutely love Centaur's Worries.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aw I'm only about eight chapters in, thanks for the spoilers :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whoops :sweatdrop:

Centaur's Worries later spoilers: The alien invasion stuff is great because it's practically Invasion of the Bodysnatchers in manga form. Like, weird poo poo starts happening but you don't really think much of it at first because, hey, it's a weird manga and then slowly it dawns on you what's going on.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

Speaking of, chapter 3 is out, introducing us to the third--and by far most normal--shopkeeper.

Well, she did fix their problem, at least. That's more than you can say for the other two.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

Ah yes, Susume, the Common-Sense girl. I can assure you all that this is an extremely ordinary slice of life chapter -- this manga should hardly qualify for this thread at all.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

It's time for another episode of Bad Opinion About Good Manga (completed)!

*drumroll*
  • Sumire-16 Sai!
  • Goodnight Pun Pun!
  • Motherfucking Cromartie High School
  • Terrarium in Drawer
  • Nickelodeon

Finally had some time to throw a list for the completed stuff together, but I still rushed the hell out of it. I'll probably edit it around whenever I remember some stuff that belongs in my top 5. Problem is that I like a lot of short story anthologies and it's sometimes kind of hard to tell when they're over. I'll probably drop some into the ongoing list when I get around to that.

It's pretty funny how Sumire has consistently defended her title of Queen of SDLM for years now.
Not sure how she does it with so much weird poo poo coming out, but whenever I see this thread scroll by my first mental image is still that girl. Guess she can rule the next thread as well!
Not sure if Oyasumi Pun Pun actually belongs in here, but gently caress it. It's really good and pro-read. It's also the orbital sander of the soul, but I'm not sure if that still applies when you can marathon it. I guess I could reread it to check, but I kind of like not waking up surrounded by empty bottles of liquor, so I'm hoping someone does it for me instead. :negative:
Cromartie High is a normal manga about a normal boy that goes to a normal school where nothing interesting ever happens.
I listed Terrarium here because of the short story thing I mentioned. It may not be my favourite story collection, but I'm pretty sure it is done and complete!
Speaking of which... Nickelodeon is by far my favourite Douman work. The fact that it doesn't have a plot means it is the perfect means of delivering those amazingly hilarious , horrifying, adorable mood-swings he's so good at. Because of its episodic nature the art style bounces all over the place while remaining Douman as gently caress. Everyone should read it because it's quite short and probably the most inspirational/spiteful/lovable (delete depending on what page you're on) manga you read today. :toot:

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 12, 2015

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Jostiband gets it. Dowman is fantastic at short stories, so Nickelodeon should be #1 on the recommendations list for the new thread.

#2-5 can be whatever, I don't care. Maybe Zai x 10 in there.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I kind of want Voynich in there as well, but I don't want to turn this into the DS megathread. :(

Aaaand I already spotted my first fuckup. Batoto lists that seven dragon children thingie as completed, so that'll probably be replacing the Terrarium. It's another one of those same author things. I'll probably edit it this evening. Surreal manga lists is suffering.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Quetzalcotal-san is so kawaii.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sumire-16-sai and kuro please

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So far I'm seeing ...

Completed
1) Nickelodeon or Voynich Hotel
2) Sumire 16

In Progress
1) Centaur's Worries
2) Girls' Group No. 7
3) Seki-Kun
4) Ryuushika-Ryuushika
5) Zai X 10

Honorable Mentions/We Love These Too But Not Quite "Surreal":

Teasing Master Takagi
And Yet The Town Turns

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 12, 2015

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Hmmm... You're no longer using the honourable mentions for stuff like psychic yakuza kids and stuff?
I may need to adjust my lists some more. :negative:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Two more nominations for a completed top 5: Angel Densetsu and Midori Days. And I see no reason to pick between Nickelodeon and Voynich, put 'em both in at the same slot.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

gnome7 posted:

And I see no reason to pick between Nickelodeon and Voynich, put 'em both in at the same slot.

Total agreement. Also, here is another vote for adding Oyasumi Punpun to the Completed list. We can't have recommendations for SDLM without mentioning Inio Asano, and the actual Asano thread is rather dead, anyway.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Punpun is pretty surreal but I don't think it's even a little bit "daily life"

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I don't feel like typing this out cinematically but imagine a slow build up chant of old! man! frog! until you feel ashamed you forgot it and put it back at the top of the list.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Captain Invictus posted:

Aw I'm only about eight chapters in, thanks for the spoilers :(

Whoops, I thought you've been keeping up. Well, if it's any relief, nobody really knows what's going on, and I just kind of pulled "alien invasion" out of my rear end.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

Punpun is pretty surreal but I don't think it's even a little bit "daily life"

A large part of it is devoted to Punpun's fairly normal struggles as he's growing up. Propably not the parts you'd usually have in mind when thinking about that manga, but in my opinion, the story would not work at all if it was not mostly about daily life.

Of course, the problem here is how to adequately define 'daily life'; Zai X 10 and Voynich Hotel are not really about everyday situations, either. I suggest we keep the definition as broad as possible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Centaur's Worries is really an incredible series, it's amazingly cute a lot of the time with interesting ideas about if instead of race, we had actual physical differences between races, and has occasional one-off chapters showcasing other things in the world or history, the amphibian chapter was really great. Class prez and her sisters are my favorite part of the series, just adorable with a slight bit of melancholy to it. And then suddenly she confronted her father and boy was that out of nowhere. The main crew is fun and hime's a good main character, and her cousin's adorable, reminds me of my younger cousins.

And then I got to chapter 42, and I don't know what the gently caress anymore

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 13, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Carpator Diei posted:

A large part of it is devoted to Punpun's fairly normal struggles as he's growing up. Propably not the parts you'd usually have in mind when thinking about that manga, but in my opinion, the story would not work at all if it was not mostly about daily life.

Of course, the problem here is how to adequately define 'daily life'; Zai X 10 and Voynich Hotel are not really about everyday situations, either. I suggest we keep the definition as broad as possible.

I think Punpun is the only manga where after I started reading it I stopped because I wanted to, and not because I lost interest or anything. Like I just feel it's gonna go into some dark places and I don't wanna read about children dealing with this poo poo.

Am I right or wrong in that aspect?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Leper Residue posted:

I think Punpun is the only manga where after I started reading it I stopped because I wanted to, and not because I lost interest or anything. Like I just feel it's gonna go into some dark places and I don't wanna read about children dealing with this poo poo.

Am I right or wrong in that aspect?

You're not wrong. It goes into some pretty dark places and is probably one of the most depressing manga I've ever read. I feel it's still worth reading though, but I can understand why people would not want to read through it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Allarion posted:

You're not wrong. It goes into some pretty dark places and is probably one of the most depressing manga I've ever read. I feel it's still worth reading though, but I can understand why people would not want to read through it.

Ugh, yeah then I'm just gonna hold off on reading it, maybe if I find myself in the right mindset one day.

It's strange I just finished today reading From the New World which has like actual child sacrifices and it didn't bother me (well I mean it did but), but Punpun just makes me completely at unease.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 13, 2015

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Punpun's emotional jabs mostly come from being stuck very tightly to the viewpoint character.
It's like that scene in Masturbation Master where our pal Afroman finally gets himself a girlfriend. Sure, objectively it's a pretty nice development and at worst a tiny setback in our protagonist's life. Subjectively, we've been stuck in Kurasawa's head for quite a while now and IT'S THE WORST THING IN THE HISTORY OF EVER!

Agreeing with Carpator that the daily life parts are the most important since they're the primary battleground for Man vs Self. Whenever anything actually dramatic occurs that could change his life Punpun has already lost because Self is a dirty cheating oval office.

That said, LR should probably backlog it 'cause it gets rather smithicide every now and then. Subjectively.

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 13, 2015

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

It's strange I just finished today reading From the New World which has like actual child sacrifices and it didn't bother me (well I mean it did but), but Punpun just makes me completely at unease.

Are you talking about the manga or the original novel? I can't comment on the latter, but if you only know the manga, do yourself a favor and watch the anime version. It is incomparably better, and one of the most brillanty crafted animes I've yet encountered.

And if you ever feel able to deal with a depressing storyline (very depressing; in fact, I would say that 'depressing' is almost too mild, but also too limited a term), definitely read the rest of Punpun. You'd miss a lot.

Captain Invictus posted:

And then I got to chapter 42, and I don't know what the gently caress anymore

That chapter is what the spoiler earlier was referring to. As you can see, Centaur's Worries is almost unspoilable.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i heard the from the new world manga just took the shows premise as an excuse to make smut

• Locked thread