Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Regulus74 posted:

I just finished the omnibus for the first time and I couldn't disagree more. The only way ADB could have tied everything up in Soul Hunter is by not writing it at all and just writing Void Stalker.

If you enjoyed the first book at all, I highly recommend reading the rest because 1) it gets better and 2) the end of Void Stalker is a hugely satisfying ten chapter setpiece. I actually came into the thread to talk about how much I liked Void Stalker, specifically the ending. I've only read the Night Lords omnibus and Legion so far and, imo, ADB is much better at gracefully ending a story than Abnett. I like Night Lords more than Legion which should be impossible considering the Alpha Legion has always been my favorite army.

The Night Lords trilogy rules. First Claw rules. ADB rules.

I hope one day we get some kind of follow up involving Decimus, Varial or Lucoryphus. Like, do we know if any or all of them survive beyond the evens of the 13th Black Crusade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Uzas was my fav

Xarl close second

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
Variel is my favorite. I like how ADB succeeds in making him seem strange in a universe that defines itself by strangeness. I also like how everyone has their own moment of recognition that he's a true Night Lord despite not having the geneseed.

How could you not like a medic whose nickname is the Flayer?

Regulus74 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 5, 2015

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I like Uzas a lot, but Variel rocks. ADB is really good at adding layers to characters along the way.

I hope the same happens in the new Black Legion series. Firefist is a lot of fun, and Sargon has plenty of mysteries left unexplained.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

AndyElusive posted:

Like, do we know if any or all of them survive beyond the evens of the 13th Black Crusade?

The 13th Black Crusade is now "The Big One", the beginning of the end of the Imperium, and is only getting started at the end of the 40k timeline. We won't ever really know what happens in it, let alone after. It's like the massive Tyranid fleets on the outside of the galaxy, whatever Vect is sitting on, Ghazghull's eternal Waaagh, the twin Demon/Nid invasions of Baal, the Silent King awakening the rest of the Necrons, etc. It's an extinction event that's a few seconds from starting.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Cyrion :(

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I am fine with the 40K setting being eternally stuck at 10 minutes till midnight Doomsday mode. There is literally 10k years you can cram in nearly any story and characters as long as your book doesn't end with "The Imperium is destroyed" or "The Eye of Terror is closed" everything is within bounds. Hell, there are plenty of epic events only casually mentioned in the fluff that are just waiting for a good author, see The Emperor's Gift. Hell, I'd actually like to see Abnett or ADB take the reigns on some of our more famous characters from the codexes like Dante/Calgar or Yarrick/Macharius. Instead we get hack writers doing the galaxy's greatest heroes, and previously unheard of heroes sounding ten times more interesting than people who conquered a thousand worlds.

Also, McNeil is only good when it comes to writing about the AdMech, he is mediocre at anything else, I have no idea what this says about his personality as a human...

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
His Mars series is super good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SRM posted:

It doesn't feel like they're dragging things out for the two other books - they're all very different stories with the same crew of characters. There's a tonal throughline through them all, but it's not like it's one big book split up into three. They're my favorite three BL books, period.

Perhaps. I still enjoyed Soul Hunter, but I felt that it got rushed along at the end. I could easily see that book end with Talos taking control of the Covenant and the Void Child thing fleshed out more, while the Ruven bit could have been dropped completely and still made it a self contained story. Then again I feel that every Black library book could do with a good 100 pages more to tell a more fleshed out tale.

As it was it just sort of petered out. Ditching the Crusade and flipping off Abaddon is one thing, but to have something as big as the Blood Angels boarding and slaughtering half the ship be relegated to an off-page duel between two dreadnoughts before an abrupt end felt like a copout.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
Meeting Ruven as a member of the Black Legion is important because it immediately establishes that he's a traitor and we get to see how he acts as a member of the legion for which he left the Night Lords. Seeing as Soul Hunter is the only book in the series where the Night Lords interact with the Black Legion, it's the best, least contrived means of introducing a character that has a role to play in the subsequent books.

I agree that Soul Hunter's ending is anticlimactic but if you keep reading that problem improves with each story. I'd have a problem with ADB setting things up for the sequels if the sequels weren't better than Soul Hunter or he made those things seem contrived.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Uroboros posted:

Also, McNeil is only good when it comes to writing about the AdMech, he is mediocre at anything else, I have no idea what this says about his personality as a human...

Yeah; I first realized this when reading Mechanicum, from the Horus Heresy series. When I was reading it, I thought, "drat, this is some solid sci-fi on its own, and has a lot of creative insights on the techy parts of the 40k setting."

I think he's just more of a "Robots and high-tech settings and mechanical transhumanism and Asimov-y stuff" nerd, so he just has more of a knack for writing stuff along those lines, rather than the "Lovecraftian horrors and sorcery and primarchs" stuff.

That's the feeling I get, anyway. Like he just has a lot more to say on that subject.

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 7, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Regulus74 posted:

Meeting Ruven as a member of the Black Legion is important because it immediately establishes that he's a traitor and we get to see how he acts as a member of the legion for which he left the Night Lords. Seeing as Soul Hunter is the only book in the series where the Night Lords interact with the Black Legion, it's the best, least contrived means of introducing a character that has a role to play in the subsequent books.

I agree that Soul Hunter's ending is anticlimactic but if you keep reading that problem improves with each story. I'd have a problem with ADB setting things up for the sequels if the sequels weren't better than Soul Hunter or he made those things seem contrived.

Blood Reaver's probably my favorite just because the Night Lords are all "let's do some real hurt to the Imperium!" but first they have to go get their ship repaired by a young-blood tyrant king of Badab named Huron and, even though he shows them the utmost respect in every interaction, decide stealing a ship from him is more important. They just can't help but shoot themselves in the foot.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Jerkface posted:

Yea he must be desperate to join a company that knows how to make money after spending most of his life working for 120 dollar ebook collectors edition: the company

Yea man working for a company that charges an arm for a lovely product sure means people see a lot of money for their work.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
He's gone from writing lovely pulp... To lovely pulp? What are you idiots arguing about?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I know people at HQs of both GW and Riot. There is no contest between them. It's not even close. Riot are just plain better to work for.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Well... yeah, but, "It's better to work for [X company] than GW" is pretty much an always-true equation, unless [X company] is a cheap Chinese metal treatment plant or something.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Guys the Ahriman books are real fuckin good btw if ur lookin for something to read.

The depiction of the space wolves is metal as hell. Especially when they emerge from the eye and run the cadian blockade like god dammmn these old heresy wolves are so twisted and warped by their time spent pursing the Thousand Sons so fuckin awesome bro

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Blood Reaver's probably my favorite just because the Night Lords are all "let's do some real hurt to the Imperium!" but first they have to go get their ship repaired by a young-blood tyrant king of Badab named Huron and, even though he shows them the utmost respect in every interaction, decide stealing a ship from him is more important. They just can't help but shoot themselves in the foot.

Sure but Huron had his reasons for fluffing up the Night Lords and non of them were altruistic. Also foot shot or not that piratical oval office stole one of their ships, First Claw stole it back AFTER fulfilling their side of things. They only start really focusing on hurting the Imperium properly around the time of Void Stalker and it's mostly just Talos's doing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
If Miles Cameron hasn't written for Warhammer Fantasy yet, he should. Try his book The Red Knight. It's like Warhammer with the numbers filed off. Amazing gore-soaked fights with super detailed arms, armor, and tactics. A complex magic system based on a more metal version of catholic holy man stuff where Jesus uppercuts evil, and a refreshingly interesting look at how to be an rear end in a top hat on the sly with chivalry and get in barbs on your frenemies while bowing in their face and smirking underneath your helmet. It owns.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yarrick: Pyres of Armageddon was pretty entertaining. All of the David Annandale stuff I've read where he's writing about Yarrick has been decent. He gives a certain inner voice to Yarrick that I enjoy for whatever reason.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Looks like Sabbat Crusade is finally coming out in a normal dead tree version at last. I'll have to pick it up at some point before the "stocks run out".
And then be sad because no other Sabbat Worlds crusade book will ever really top the fluff book BL released four or five years ago and I wish actually got a sequel to push it past His Last Command. :(

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Pariah sequel when?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The problem is that Dan Abnett gets a lot of work these days so he has to prioritise.

So which pays more, his GW work or his other work?

Right, that's what I think too.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I want master if mankind and the next black legion and next ahriman books

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Waroduce posted:

I want master if mankind and the next black legion and next ahriman books

ADB posted the other week he had finished the home renovations and was resuming working on his next project

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

Pariah sequel when?

Amazon has a listing for this:

quote:

As the greatest Ork Waaagh! ever seen threatens to engulf the galaxy, the Imperial Fists make their last stand

It is the thirty-second millennium and the Imperium is at peace. The Traitor Legions of Chaos are but a distant memory and the many alien races that have long plagued mankind are held in check by the Space Marines. When a mission to exterminate one such xenos breed on the world of Ardamantua draws in more of their forces, the Imperial Fists abandon the walls of Terra for the first time in more than a thousand years. And when another, greater, foe strikes, even the heroic sons of Rogal Dorn may be powerless against it. The Beast Arises… and it is mighty.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Amazon has a listing for this:

I initially read that as 42nd Millennium and made this face :stare:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
There's your story advancement folks - M33 through M40. Seven thousand years of stuff ought to be enough for the whiners.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 18, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You're off by an order of magnitude.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You're off by an order of magnitude.

Ha - yep. I'm so tired...

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Is anyone aware of a Crusade-era battle/campaign other than 63-19 where the Imperial Fists and the Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus fought side by side? I initially thought about Ullanor, but I don't think the Fists actually fought in that, just showed up for the parade.

Alternatively, if anyone knows the official renaming of 63-19, that'd be even better.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I thought the Fists didn't fight at 63-19 either, they just showed up for the funeral services at the end for the false Emperor.

As far as I can tell, 63-19 doesn't make any other appearances. The Fists fought alongside the Wolves at Askanisa according to Horus Heresy III but that's pretty much the only detail given there.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It probably remained as 63-19 because they refuse to call it Terra as the inhabitants did, and I don't think they changed it to be a different name afterwards.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

PantsOptional posted:

I thought the Fists didn't fight at 63-19 either, they just showed up for the funeral services at the end for the false Emperor.

As far as I can tell, 63-19 doesn't make any other appearances. The Fists fought alongside the Wolves at Askanisa according to Horus Heresy III but that's pretty much the only detail given there.

I think the Fists were at least present for the fighting on 63-19, which is the part that matters for me (not that they actually fought there). Askanisa might work. I'm painting honors of battle for an Imperial Knight and I want him to have been handed off from the Fists' expeditionary fleet to the 63rd Expedition at some logical, memorable point.

Edit: yep Askanisa works! Thanks!

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 19, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

What are your guys' thoughts on the Salamander books, I've been eyeing them for a while and was wondering if they were worth the buy.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

HAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Pariah sequal needs to happen, I don't care if he has comics to write for other franchises :colbert:

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

Annointed posted:

What are your guys' thoughts on the Salamander books, I've been eyeing them for a while and was wondering if they were worth the buy.

I quite enjoyed them, I always collected and painted Salamanders though back in the day, so it added some :words: and Background

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Annointed posted:

Show a four year old a picture of a Salamander then get them to tell you the story of that Salamander. It will be an infinitely more competently told narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Emnity posted:

Pariah sequal needs to happen, I don't care if he has comics to write for other franchises :colbert:

I seriously hope its more Ravenor vs Eisenhorn. Bequin is cool and poo poo, but im in the series for those two characters and Cherubal. I was super disappointed in Pariah because I wanted Eisenhorn and Ravenor and it failed to deliver