Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
$100 for a flashlight is fine if your life depends on it, mine doesn't. I just want a flashlight, nothing complicated. The kind you pick up when it's dark outside or you are working on your truck and need to light up some nether region under the dash, normal non life or death flashlight stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

wormil posted:

$100 for a flashlight is fine if your life depends on it, mine doesn't. I just want a flashlight, nothing complicated. The kind you pick up when it's dark outside or you are working on your truck and need to light up some nether region under the dash, normal non life or death flashlight stuff.
I keep a few of these around just for those uses, anything else I just use my led Makita work light.
http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-66118-Stylus-Flashlight-Holster/dp/B0015UC17E

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I carry a lenser p4 at work and have a backup p7 if I know I'll need more light, both are good.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Cool I'm checking out the Lensers and that Streamlight, also saw a Coast I like. Don't know why I have such bad luck with flashlights but I only have one, Pelican L4, that isn't somehow screwed up and unfortunately it's not very bright.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The shorter version of that Streamlight, the MicroStream, is my main everyday flashlight and I love it. I also have a Fenix LD10 that's nice, and a Preon something or other that's neat but has a wonky tailcap action. The microstream is bright enough for most jobs I need a flashlight for and the shorter, single AAA design is great if you're carrying it around a lot.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I picked up a set of Duracell flashlights from Costco and they own. I think they've been phased out for the 1000 lumen model, mine were 500, but at $30 for a pair of two with batteries included, it was kind of a no brainer.

fake edit: looks like they still have the 500 lumen ones but only in a 4 pack. Oh well!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
When I was shopping for the same thing, Streamlight seemed to come out best on everything except price. More waterproof lumens in smaller packages than the competition. They also make good rechargeables.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Zhentar posted:

Fenix makes some good flashlights. Or if you want something high powered with relatively good battery life, get a work light compatible with your power tool batteries.

Fenix or 4sevens if you're willing to spend $40+. (4sevens was a spinoff of a flashlight forum. If it surprises you that there are flashlight forums and enthusiasts, well, you don't know the internet well enough).

Otherwise, finally, it seems like Home Depot and other regular retailers are selling decent LED lights.

I'd find one that runs off 1AA or 2AA which is an indication that it has a proper current regulator. 3xAAA lights are probably inferior and AAA's store significantly less energy for their size compared to AA.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Tim Thomas posted:

I picked up a set of Duracell flashlights from Costco and they own. I think they've been phased out for the 1000 lumen model, mine were 500, but at $30 for a pair of two with batteries included, it was kind of a no brainer.

fake edit: looks like they still have the 500 lumen ones but only in a 4 pack. Oh well!

2nding those. I have like 6 around the house and they're bright enough and last long enough to be my go-to flashlight for anything that I don't need to bludgeon someone with.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

+1 for streamlights, I've got a protac 1AA that's been rock solid for a good 2 years of daily use now.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When someone jacked my microstream, I bought a 4sevens Prion cause I thought that it'd be worth having the ultimate single AAA light. While the 4sevens is brighter and has different modes, the tailcap is unreliable, I hate using it in twist on mode, and the pocket clip is way too delicate. I wound up buying another Microstream and tossing the Prion in a drawer.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

powderific posted:

The shorter version of that Streamlight, the MicroStream, is my main everyday flashlight and I love it.
I've used both for EDC and they're both stellar.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I'm thinking of picking up a jigsaw but I don't know what models to get. I've used DeWalt and Bosch ones before for various projects and obviously they're some of the best, but they're very pricey and I don't think I'll be using mine that much. Anything I should consider? Or should I just swing for the cheapest corded Bosch?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Suicide Watch posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a jigsaw but I don't know what models to get. I've used DeWalt and Bosch ones before for various projects and obviously they're some of the best, but they're very pricey and I don't think I'll be using mine that much. Anything I should consider? Or should I just swing for the cheapest corded Bosch?

Buy the best Bosch you can afford. Cheap jigsaws are terrible.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I got a mid level bosch blue that has handled most things I have thrown at it fairly well. I forget what model number it is, but I'm pretty sure I went over it earlier on the thread.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I picked up a used Festool Trion for cheap(ish) and I love it. It has little tungsten shoes that keep the blade stable laterally, a plastic insert to keep the cut from tearing out, and dust collection that works surprisingly well. Blade visibility isn't great with dust collection stuff installed though.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Has anyone seen any type of ratchet that has a spinning assist? Something you need a spin a nut onto a long threaded post and it only takes effort for the last few turns. I end up doing it with my finger tips which is annoying because I'm a princess, and you can't do it with the ratchet because there's no resistance to allow the ratchet mechanism to work. Seems there'd be a way to make a trigger that you can squeeze to activate some type of gear to spin the nut. It's probably been tried and wasn't worth the effort for what little work it would save.

I like my cheapo stanley 1/4" ratchet because it has a ring on the head that is knurled so you can twist it with your hand to spin the nut.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
These exist, but I dont know of any type of ratcheting wrench that has a thumb wrench integrated into it

http://www.truepowertools.com/products/02-1111

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Has anyone seen any type of ratchet that has a spinning assist?

Here you go - http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_3mb6e5d2f5_b

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Or a cordless impact driver

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Astonishing Wang posted:

Has anyone seen any type of ratchet that has a spinning assist? Something you need a spin a nut onto a long threaded post and it only takes effort for the last few turns. I end up doing it with my finger tips which is annoying because I'm a princess, and you can't do it with the ratchet because there's no resistance to allow the ratchet mechanism to work. Seems there'd be a way to make a trigger that you can squeeze to activate some type of gear to spin the nut. It's probably been tried and wasn't worth the effort for what little work it would save.

I like my cheapo stanley 1/4" ratchet because it has a ring on the head that is knurled so you can twist it with your hand to spin the nut.

Try applying mild to moderate pressure on the socket with your other thumb; this will provide the resistance needed without forcing you to actually move any fingers.

auxout
Apr 20, 2006
Steel Femur

Astonishing Wang posted:

Like this?

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00944578000P

Would only work if you have a deep enough socket but that sounds like what you are doing.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

end mill facade posted:

Try applying mild to moderate pressure on the socket with your other thumb; this will provide the resistance needed without forcing you to actually move any fingers.

I do this when there's room, and usually in tight spaces I'll just spin the socket with my fingers as opposed to turning the wrench. I have a cordless impact but there are a shitload of places that it won't fit. When I get a garage with air I'm very excited to try one of those air ratchets!

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Update!

Thanks everyone for the advice on the bandsaw and drill press.

Between my last post and this one, I found a specialized woodworking store near my home that stocks a huge variety of non-garbage tools (Woodworkers Emporium in Las Vegas, in case you're wondering). Super nice staff, too, so I think I'll be doing a lot more shopping there from now on.

I ended up scraping together some more money and got a significantly nicer drill press (Jet 12" benchtop model) that I am very happy with so far. Having a drill press is a night-and-day change over just having a handheld drill (I can use Forstner bits without burning the poo poo out of the wood!).

No bandsaw yet, but I'm currently eyeing the Jet 10" benchtop model. After screwing around with it in the showroom, it is much better built than the smaller 9" Skil/Ryobi models and doesn't cost too much more. It's still small enough for me to put away, too.

RagingTaco
Oct 21, 2008

No thanks, I don't like eggs.
What?
Eggs are your favorite!
Okay, then give me lots of eggs.
I finally got a compressor and some nailers for my shop. Can anyone recommend a good tire inflator with built in gauge? Also, a good basic blower and accessory kit? I've seen one recommended before but couldn't find it going so many pages back.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

RagingTaco posted:

I finally got a compressor and some nailers for my shop. Can anyone recommend a good tire inflator with built in gauge? Also, a good basic blower and accessory kit? I've seen one recommended before but couldn't find it going so many pages back.

I've got a Campbell Hausfeld blow gun, non OSHA approved, and it's awesome. It actually blows stuff off really nicely. Every safety blow gun I've used sucked.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BO6E1E

Inflators are tough, I use a Milton dual head stick with a window gauge, but it's not that accurate. I end up using it along with a digital gauge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002SRL20

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm using this other style Campbell tire inflator. It's cheap and it works well so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZJ1IK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

The one sharktym listed is WAY more durable, so if you're gonna leave it sitting on the floor to get run over and stuff go with that. If you're like me and put it back in your tool box when you're done the one I linked works well. It has a button to release pressure also, which is really nice when you're airing down tires for off roading/etc.

RagingTaco
Oct 21, 2008

No thanks, I don't like eggs.
What?
Eggs are your favorite!
Okay, then give me lots of eggs.

sharkytm posted:

I've got a Campbell Hausfeld blow gun, non OSHA approved, and it's awesome. It actually blows stuff off really nicely. Every safety blow gun I've used sucked.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BO6E1E

Inflators are tough, I use a Milton dual head stick with a window gauge, but it's not that accurate. I end up using it along with a digital gauge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002SRL20

Motronic posted:

I'm using this other style Campbell tire inflator. It's cheap and it works well so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZJ1IK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

The one sharktym listed is WAY more durable, so if you're gonna leave it sitting on the floor to get run over and stuff go with that. If you're like me and put it back in your tool box when you're done the one I linked works well. It has a button to release pressure also, which is really nice when you're airing down tires for off roading/etc.
Thanks! I think I'll try the Campbell Hausfled inflator and hope it's accurate enough.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Maaaaan I really wish I'd got a proper honing guide earlier; I've spent SO long in the last week or so regrinding bevels on chisels and plane irons which I've managed to sharpen to curved profiles, either freehand or on a very rough grinder tool rest.

Blaaaaaah.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So with father's day coming up, it's pretty likely Home Depot or Amazon will have sales on drills right?

I'm thinking of getting a combo kit - hammer drill + impact driver. I live in an apartment with no garage / outdoor space so the scope of projects I can work with is pretty limited. Mostly going to be hanging pictures, putting up shelves, and other miscellaneous minor maintenance things / small projects. Also the building is old so we have masonry/plaster walls - hence I figure I need the hammer drill.

Given that - should I invest in 18V or just stick with 12V? I was eyeing the Makita combos on Amazon but honestly I'm pretty open as to what brand to get. Does brushless matter for me? Or is that just for more heavy-duty use?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
14.4 does me fine for that sort of work, but you might want 18 if you ever expect to upgrade to anything more beefy. I wish I'd invested in it now.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I went with 12V and I've appreciated it's light weight and compactness far more times than I've needed more power (which was once, drilling 3" holes in floor joists, and it was still adequate). If I need to replace my drill, I'll definitely go brushless.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
18V opens up more options for compatible skins in terms of power - eg. sawzall, dustbuster, leaf blower, hedge trimmer.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

~Coxy posted:

18V opens up more options for compatible skins in terms of power - eg. sawzall, dustbuster, leaf blower, hedge trimmer.

That's true about the yard tools. Makita and Ryobi 18V in particular are good if you want to cross into yard (which I recommend, I have a ryobi string trimmer and hedge trimmer which are great)

Though milwaukee M12 has the sawzall and vac and almost every other tool tool covered (and then some).

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Took this out of the box for the first time over the weekend. Used it to install some base and case.

Dewalt 15g Cordless Finish Nailer

My only gripe is that it's heavy, i think with the battery it comes in around 10lbs. Not a deal breaker, just that it's heavy compared to a standard nailer. Otherwise, it drove 2.5" finisher's just fine and it was definitely cuts down on the setup / clean up time after a project which was my major motivation for getting it. Probably drove 40-50 nails with it, no jams, and did it on a single battery.

I think the next step is to find a cordless brad nailer to pair it with.

Sointenly fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 15, 2015

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
What's the general consensus on Dewalt cordless lithium tools? I want an impact driver and might as well go cordless. I was looking at this set because it's Amazon's deal of the day. Thoughts?

My previous cordless set was a Ryobi NiCd system from a decade ago and I killed that pretty fast.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a Dewalt lithium drill (not an impact driver, just a drill) and it's worked fine for me. :shrug:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Looks like a great deal. Anything Dewalt, Milwaukee or Makita will work.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

the spyder posted:

Looks like a great deal. Anything Dewalt, Milwaukee or Makita will work.

Yea, you'll be more than happy with these. $250 is a great price, I wish i didn't have so much Dewalt Ni-cad stuff already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That's the one thing that I really like about Ryobi's line. I had a shitload of the NiCad tools that my Dad got me when I got my first house, and they made it so their lithium batteries fit into the old ones as well.

I wish their drills were a bit sturdier, but the rest of their tools are fine for what I need them for.