Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah he's dead, sadly. Slain by a really boring character too. gently caress her and gently caress Ramsay. Two mary sue characters that need to die very soon.

Who the fucks Mary Sue is Ramsey supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mary Sue just means 'character wot I don't like' nowadays.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah Ramsay makes no sense but Brienne probably is. GRRM loves his secret TRUE KNIGHTS. He wouldn't even truly kill the hound just for it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah Ramsay makes no sense but Brienne probably is. GRRM loves his secret TRUE KNIGHTS. He wouldn't even truly kill the hound just for it.

Her eyes are sathires, her lips the finest mutton

And I would let her bangs sever my head from its body as a mantis prays if only she would let me sup at her strange breasts and feast on her dangly bits

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Habibi posted:

Bookreaders/showwatchers... because they all love torture?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Mary Sue is the new hipster because goons are dumber than dog poo poo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

just found this on deadspin :lol:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

This post was literally chekovs canon vapid passive voice

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

ow

just ow

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Death of the author amirite guys?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Iron Lung posted:

also where was ghost???

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Habibi posted:

The writers. That's what "Mary Sue" means. It's a writer self-insert. :ssh:

http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/121039469337/the-trope-of-villain-sue-has-been-applied-to

Regulus74 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 16, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Where were jon's dead eyes? I was expecting them and then it just went to credits

And Danerhea, it felt so close

She was reverse cowboying Drogon and it looked like she could have caught a dino spine in her woohoo area and then she just walks away

The Benjen tease was awesome because if you pay a little attention it's insanely obvious but Jon is tired from drinkin' with Samwise or just idk, anyway he dies how he lived with his mouth slightly parted

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I can't believe I'm back to hoping the books come out to finish this stupid loving story. :dawkins101:

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

syscall girl posted:

anyway he dies how he lived with his mouth slightly parted

He died the way he lived. We shall never know his like again.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The coolest guy in this ep was the sparrow dude who was beating the poo poo out of peasants with his billy club.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZombieLenin posted:

Every time I see GRRM I think, "man you look worse than Robert Jordan's corpse."

i can't beleive he's only 66. he looks 85

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I heard they killed off Tyrion?

Edit: I heard it from a onion article so it may not be very accurate

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

To be honest, we haven't seen her kill Stannis. I can imagine that she chooses not to kill him and that he ends up being rehabilitated or redeemed in some way. I mean, it makes sense that she kills him and I won't be surprised if she does but that end result was not shown.

I agree that the show telegraphs things more but part of that is just because we already know a lot of the secrets they are going to reveal so any foreshadowing stands out.

That said, I agree that a lot of the new material they had to come up with just wasn't as good.

The HBO site says Stannis is dead and I believe it because D&D don't like him enough to keep him around. Even though a redemption arc for him would be super interesting

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is it possible to change the thread title to this?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Dorne was so loving awful in retrospect, even worse than when we were still waiting for them to magically make it relevant (like "fire and blood" kind of did). So the whole thing was about Jaime wanting to be a dad?

I dont think Jaime and Bronn kill Trystane but someone might once they have him in Kings Landing.

Dorne was pretty lovely in the books too, but it's especially lovely and pointless in the show.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Typo posted:

Dorne was pretty lovely in the books too, but it's especially lovely and pointless in the show.

You can't polish a turd, but HBO should've at least made the effort.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
My understanding of mary sue was that its a character thats so beloved by the author it fucks up the story. Not necessarily a self-insert.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You don't see how Ramsay the rapist is D&D's wish fulfillment personified? They love rape and pointless violence even more than the Gurm and show Ramsay gets to engage in more of that with no repercussions than anybody

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

I can't believe I'm back to hoping the books come out to finish this stupid loving story. :dawkins101:

Scheduled release of Winds of Winter is July 2017, according to publishers.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amoeba102 posted:

Scheduled release of Winds of Winter is July 2017, according to publishers.

Not bad, that gives a ghost rider almost a full year to transcribe Season 6.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

:stare:

Yes... I asked the question for a reason.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ginette Reno posted:

You don't see how Ramsay the rapist is D&D's wish fulfillment personified? They love rape and pointless violence even more than the Gurm and show Ramsay gets to engage in more of that with no repercussions than anybody

Book Ramsay has the ironborn flayed after they surrender to him when he sends Theon in to talk them down. He does just as much terrible poo poo as TV Ramsay and has nothing happen to him because Roose is an equally lovely person and Ramsay's the only heir he has for now.

kcroy posted:

Not bad, that gives a ghost rider almost a full year to transcribe Season 6.

I hope it's not done by Nicolas Cage because his two movies were pretty bad.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
So what's the opinion about how differently Myrcella's storyline will play out in the books as compared to the show? Obviously it's going to be different, but I had always assumed Tommen would die before she did. Does the "gold will be their crowns" prophecy mean she's going to actually be Queen at some point, or is being a princess enough to meet that requirement?

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My understanding of mary sue was that its a character thats so beloved by the author it fucks up the story. Not necessarily a self-insert.

That link I posted explains the villain flavor of that I think they call it a Villain Sue or something equally dumb.

They folded a ton of story into Winterfell and rewrote everything with Ramsay as the central driver of the plot in a pretty impressive failure of an attempt to make a villain even more despicable than Joffrey. So we have a character whose narrative functions include progressing the plot, doing hateful poo poo to make people love to hate him, and gently caress it why not throw in some gently caress scenes too because Iwan Rheon is so pretty. You could theoretically accomplish all of this without making generic comic villain #695 but this show didn't.

I don't know if I buy that he's the writers' fanfic villain hero. I can see the point that scenes like the one in the finale where he stabs the wounded soldier don't really seem to serve any purpose but it seems more plausible to me that it's a byproduct of condensing so much plot around one character and then putting a ton of narrative weight on him too.

Regulus74 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 16, 2015

Muroface
Mar 13, 2008

Spirit Fingers!

Mnemosyne posted:

So what's the opinion about how differently Myrcella's storyline will play out in the books as compared to the show? Obviously it's going to be different, but I had always assumed Tommen would die before she did. Does the "gold will be their crowns" prophecy mean she's going to actually be Queen at some point, or is being a princess enough to meet that requirement?

I've always assumed the gold-crowns line refers to their hair being Lannister blonde rather than the Baratheon black.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Dude. D&D needs to hire some of the Silicon Valley writers because holy poo poo can they write suspense and really deliver a payoff.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

So who else felt Stannis's end was underwhelming? Not that he needed to win, but something more...?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was underwhelming especially in the context of the show where the Boltons aren't dealing with murders in Winterfell or the tension of potential mutiny in the camp.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
If someone didn't feel like Stannis's end was underwhelming they probably didn't watch the show.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Regulus74 posted:

That link I posted explains the villain flavor of that I think they call it a Villain Sue or something equally dumb.

They folded a ton of story into Winterfell and rewrote everything with Ramsay as the central driver of the plot in a pretty impressive failure of an attempt to make a villain even more despicable than Joffrey. So we have a character whose narrative functions include progressing the plot, doing hateful poo poo to make people love to hate him, and gently caress it why not throw in some gently caress scenes too because Iwan Rheon is so pretty. You could theoretically accomplish all of this without making generic comic villain #695 but this show didn't.

I don't know if I buy that he's the writers' fanfic villain hero. I can see the point that scenes like the one in the finale where he stabs the wounded soldier don't really seem to serve any purpose but it seems more plausible to me that it's a byproduct of condensing so much plot around one character and then putting a ton of narrative weight on him too.

You're going to be really pissed when Ramsay turns out to be Azor Ahai aren't you?

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
I don't think they're doing Azor Ahai in the show and there aren't going to be any more books so I doubt we'll get the chance to find out.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Well, Preston's up to his old tricks, says Stannis is alive and the deserting army was a ruse. The light in the shart, that guy.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Arbite posted:

Well, Preston's up to his old tricks, says Stannis is alive and the deserting army was a ruse. The light in the shart, that guy.

Other than that, I thought the rest of the video was very reasonable. In other words, boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

TequilaJesus posted:

So who else felt Stannis's end was underwhelming? Not that he needed to win, but something more...?

Stannis's entire story has being underwhelming since end of season 2