Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Non Serviam posted:

I saw Cloverfield today and, Holy poo poo, what an awful movie.
Among all the things that annoyed me, the fact that a person with a metal rod through her chest, and who supposedly was buried under a wall, manages to just run around like nothing happened (despite ostensibly having a gaping hole in her lung and bleeding profusely) pissed me off the most.

gently caress that movie.

You should pay more attention to the indian girl who wears her fashionable heels through the entire movie except when crossing the collapsed building to rescue said friend, where she removes them. One scene later after they have crossed back she is wearing them again which can only mean she set them aside to do some parkour and then picked them up on her way back out to the apocalypse. She is also the only survivor in the main cast. Movie rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I was watching the show dare devil. And holy poo poo they are worst lawyers. In one of the few times they actually do lawyer stuff they a helping a little old lady who apartment has a giant hole in the wall and the water is disconnected by repairmen that never finished the job. In an act of kindness they reconnect the water for the old lady :downs:.

No you idiots, the fact that she doesn't have access to water one of the strongest points you have in your lawsuit. Now she just has a hole in the wall connecting of her rooms together. Get her a hotel room or multiple 5 gallons carboys of water. Hell in neveda you don't have to pay rent for the days of no water after 48 hours if the landlord is not making an effort to repair the problem. Im sure new york has something similar.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Shwqa posted:

I was watching the show dare devil. And holy poo poo they are worst lawyers. In one of the few times they actually do lawyer stuff they a helping a little old lady who apartment has a giant hole in the wall and the water is disconnected by repairmen that never finished the job. In an act of kindness they reconnect the water for the old lady :downs:.

No you idiots, the fact that she doesn't have access to water one of the strongest points you have in your lawsuit. Now she just has a hole in the wall connecting of her rooms together. Get her a hotel room or multiple 5 gallons carboys of water. Hell in neveda you don't have to pay rent for the days of no water after 48 hours if the landlord is not making an effort to repair the problem. Im sure new york has something similar.

In the show where the blind man has superpowers, yeah?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

de la peche posted:

In the show where the blind man has superpowers, yeah?

The blind lawyer has superpowers yes. But i assume the talented lawyer who turned down a prestigious job position would know basic information about the law.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
My irritating daredevil moment is that the old lady whose first language is spanish, is pretty bad at speaking it. Seriously, even Matt and and Karen spoke it better.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Mine was the schizoid tone of the show. I am still baffled as to why they decided to have their climactic fight between Daredevil and Kingpin to be, essentially, Daredevil beats the poo poo out of an overgrown fat kid who became a bully out of somewhat literal self-defence. It's just sad and pathetic all around and it does not seem like everyone involved agreed with that.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shwqa posted:

Nothing will ever beat the Daredevil movie for terrible lawyers. Why were defense attornies prosecuting a rape case?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
In Pulp Fiction:

quote:

Jules: We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Vincent: How many up there?

Jules: Three or four.

Vincent: That's countin' our guy?

Jules: Not sure.

Vincent: So that means there could be up to five guys up there?

Jules: It's possible.

Vincent: We should have fuckin' shotguns.

So why didn't they bring shotguns? They were experienced killers, they obviously weren't comfortable with just handguns. Any of the explanations I can think of don't fit:

1 - 'they were told to use subterfuge and shotguns would have given them away'. This isnt the case because everyone knows who they are and why they're there, they immediately introduce themselves as Marcelus' men and are very obvious hitmen regardless.

2 - 'they were told to only kill as a last resort so gunplay wasn't expected'. This isnt the case because Jules casually murders the one guy on the couch just to make a point.

3 - 'they have their load-outs picked by someone else and they have no say in it'. ...Why?

4 - 'the mission was time critical and they didn't have time to get more equipment'. But they get there so early they need to hang back for a bit talking about foot massages. It's not presented as a situation where they're in a rush to get there.

Basically it plays out implying #3, but no reason given for why that is.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
In the movie where the hitman accidentally shoots someone in a car and leaves his gun on the counter, yeah?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
He didn't mean to shoot Marvin in the face, there was a bump.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Supreme Allah posted:

He didn't mean to shoot Marvin in the face, there was a bump.
Yeah, does that not make it an accident? He was aiming a gun at his head and had bad trigger discipline. He was a bad hitman.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cage posted:

Yeah, does that not make it an accident? He was aiming a gun at his head and had bad trigger discipline. He was a bad hitman.

Well they did get the case back. But none of this is addressing the point, even a bad hitman doesn't want to die, so why go into a situation under-armed. A bad hitman may not realize the danger but they both clearly do.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Doesn't Vega have an automatic weapon at point that he leaves out on a counter when Butch goes back home? They could have brought that.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
They didn't bring shotguns so that we could have a cool hitman dialogue about shotguns and because Quentin wanted a easy way to shoot Marvin in the face.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Supreme Allah posted:

Well they did get the case back. But none of this is addressing the point, even a bad hitman doesn't want to die, so why go into a situation under-armed. A bad hitman may not realize the danger but they both clearly do.

That's the thing though, they aren't hitmen so much as enforcers. They were probably told "go here, there will be a car waiting, keys in it. Take it to the apartment, get the case, make an example. Ditch the car and hardware after."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If I'm being generous, it sounds like Marsellus wanted this to be a standard hit, and in this case standard translates as his two men armed with pistols. I get the gist that the most they handle at once is probably one or two, maybe three, people, but this is more than that. Now maybe they've dealt with that before, so Mr Wallace thinks nothing of keeping up the standard hit routine, but Vega and Jules know that crossing that threshold makes things a bit dicey. They'd like something more when they cross that line, but they haven't brought it up with the boss yet. Maybe they do off camera, and that's why Vince has a UZI or something similar when he goes for Butch; Marsellus just straight upgrades.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Silly Newbie posted:

That's the thing though, they aren't hitmen so much as enforcers. They were probably told "go here, there will be a car waiting, keys in it. Take it to the apartment, get the case, make an example. Ditch the car and hardware after."

OK I can live with this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I give it two years before the NFL trademarks "The Big Game" and everyone has to find some other stupid phrase to use.

From a page ago so I wouldn't be surprised if its been mentioned, but the NFL tried to reg the term The Big Game in addition (or after) to regging The Super Bowl. They didn't get it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

If I'm being generous, it sounds like Marsellus wanted this to be a standard hit, and in this case standard translates as his two men armed with pistols. I get the gist that the most they handle at once is probably one or two, maybe three, people, but this is more than that. Now maybe they've dealt with that before, so Mr Wallace thinks nothing of keeping up the standard hit routine, but Vega and Jules know that crossing that threshold makes things a bit dicey. They'd like something more when they cross that line, but they haven't brought it up with the boss yet. Maybe they do off camera, and that's why Vince has a UZI or something similar when he goes for Butch; Marsellus just straight upgrades.

Marsellus was a consistent gently caress up. He

a) managed to lose an extraordinarily valuable briefcase to a group of amateurs.

b) trusted a junkie hep cat to look after his wife which almost got her killed.

c) got clowned for a lot of money by Butch in a scam to lay down in a boximg match.

d) found a way to get rear end raped on a donut run.

Yeah Jules, he does look like a bitch since you mention it.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Here's a very stupid one that got me when I caught the end of 'Batman Begins' on TV last night. During the ending action sequence, Batman has to lend out his Batmobile to Jim Gordon in order to thwart the bad guys. Batman asks him "can you drive stick?" What the hell was his contingency plan if Gordon said no? It's not a terribly common skill to have in the United States, and a vast majority of automobiles here are automatic (unless I'm extremely mistaken, which is very possible).

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

FELD1 posted:

Here's a very stupid one that got me when I caught the end of 'Batman Begins' on TV last night. During the ending action sequence, Batman has to lend out his Batmobile to Jim Gordon in order to thwart the bad guys. Batman asks him "can you drive stick?" What the hell was his contingency plan if Gordon said no? It's not a terribly common skill to have in the United States, and a vast majority of automobiles here are automatic (unless I'm extremely mistaken, which is very possible).

He was doing a bit. I doubt it makes a big difference if you've driven a standard or not. It looks more like you're controlling a plane. Speaking of which; why does the batmobile have a mode where you have to hunch over and crawl under the dash sometimes.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

edit: nevermind

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Jun 28, 2015

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

FELD1 posted:

Newer cars are usually automatic. However this wasn't always the case. Most older folks I know owned a manual car in their life.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

FELD1 posted:

"Can you drive stick? "
"No"
"Haha I'm making a joke here, because this is quite clearly a tank. It does not even have a clutch pedal, and your skills with a manual car have no relevance to whether or not you can drive this monstrosity of military hardware"
*grappling hooks away *

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't remember if it was here or in CD, but I saw a post recently that argues Pulp Fiction was all about the dangers of complacency, or at least Vincent and Jules were. They're lazy and talk fast food and gangster gossip on the way to their assignment, Vincent has terrible gun discipline, leaves his heroin around, and so on; eventually, he leaves a gun out and goes to take a dump in his target's house and it gets him killed, while Jules has recognized a close call for what it is and gets the hell out. In that light, they may well have packed the wrong weapons and realized it too late. "We really should have shotguns, but eh, what's the worst that can happen."

Was watching Pacific Rim yesterday and it's a pretty good action flick, but man, the guy playing Dr. Gottlieb could not be channeling Mark Heap any harder. I actually thought it was him for a second or two, and as the film went on started wondering if there was such a thing as actor plagiarism. Same neurotic-stickler-for-rules character, same speech mannerisms, even the same bowl cut as a lot of Mark Heap characters. I started wishing they'd actually cast the man himself.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

My Lovely Horse posted:

Was watching Pacific Rim yesterday and it's a pretty good action flick, but man, the guy playing Dr. Gottlieb could not be channeling Mark Heap any harder. I actually thought it was him for a second or two, and as the film went on started wondering if there was such a thing as actor plagiarism. Same neurotic-stickler-for-rules character, same speech mannerisms, even the same bowl cut as a lot of Mark Heap characters. I started wishing they'd actually cast the man himself.

You mean Burn Gorman? He totally was channelling Mark Heap, I never realised that before. He did basically the same character in a recent episode of Always Sunny as well.

Actually, that's related to a moment in Layer Cake that irritated me. His character is shown to be more careful, intelligent and less haphazard than his boss - so why is he an underling until his boss is out of the picture? It felt odd in a film that seemed to be all about showing the realistic side of British gangster movies.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Bogmonster posted:

You mean Burn Gorman? He totally was channelling Mark Heap, I never realised that before. He did basically the same character in a recent episode of Always Sunny as well.

Actually, that's related to a moment in Layer Cake that irritated me. His character is shown to be more careful, intelligent and less haphazard than his boss - so why is he an underling until his boss is out of the picture? It felt odd in a film that seemed to be all about showing the realistic side of British gangster movies.

More intelligent than the duke is still pretty loving dumb.

What I don't understand is why was everybody worried about Monty getting in trouble for kicking the poo poo out of Freddie, I mean he was in a coma and X certainly was going to rat him out, so who would ever link him to the crime?

Mister Nobody has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Jun 28, 2015

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Just to play Devil's Advocate with regard to Hobbit armor:

Didn't the Lonely Mountain have vast stores of metals and goods made by Dwarves that were (if not unique) incredibly rare? I don't see it as too crazy to think that the swords in the mountain were of insanely good quality and the armor used by Orcs was exceptionally low grade.

Plus, if memory serves, they found that weapons cache that the trolls were hoarding that was filled exceptional elven blades and poo poo. Been a while since I've seen it.

Supreme Allah posted:

In Pulp Fiction:

So why didn't they bring shotguns? They were experienced killers, they obviously weren't comfortable with just handguns. Any of the explanations I can think of don't fit:

1 - 'they were told to use subterfuge and shotguns would have given them away'. This isnt the case because everyone knows who they are and why they're there, they immediately introduce themselves as Marcelus' men and are very obvious hitmen regardless.

2 - 'they were told to only kill as a last resort so gunplay wasn't expected'. This isnt the case because Jules casually murders the one guy on the couch just to make a point.

3 - 'they have their load-outs picked by someone else and they have no say in it'. ...Why?

4 - 'the mission was time critical and they didn't have time to get more equipment'. But they get there so early they need to hang back for a bit talking about foot massages. It's not presented as a situation where they're in a rush to get there.

Basically it plays out implying #3, but no reason given for why that is.

5 - Marcellus Wallace supplied them the guns to use for the job.

Dr_Amazing posted:

He was doing a bit. I doubt it makes a big difference if you've driven a standard or not. It looks more like you're controlling a plane. Speaking of which; why does the batmobile have a mode where you have to hunch over and crawl under the dash sometimes.

To eject the motorcycle for one. Also, maybe so if someone's taking shots at it and a bullet gets through you won't get hit since you're head's not where they're aiming.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Jun 28, 2015

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
The dudes in Pulp Fiction probably legally own their own guns, including that automatic (in case they get stopped by the police in their normal day to day), but when they're specifically going to murder someone Marcellus has a guy who supplies them with untraceable weapons they dispose of after. So they collect them on the day so they don't have illegal weapons lying around the place for longer than necessary, show up and it turns out to be pistols.

Makes sense to me, though I guess I don't know poo poo about American gun laws, gun forensics or organising murderz.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
They were just there to scare/scare then execute a few stoners, they had enough gun. They almost got killed by the dude in the bedroom because they're pretty loving bad at their jobs throughout the whole movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aphrodite posted:

If mithril can stop anything it should in theory be able to pierce most other metals too.

I don't remember any mention of mithril swords from Tolkein at all. In theory its possible, but searching the text only comes up with armor, doorways, and some decorative jewelry. Some of the rings of power were made of mithril, but it doesn't mention any weapons at all.

Certainly not the sword that Thorin was wielding. I don't think it was even magic.

Jedit posted:

Azog's the loving king of the orcs, you shouldn't be surprised when he gets nicer stuff than everyone else.

But yeah, Azog's backstory is that he's the leader of the orcs who conquered Moria.

But he's not wearing armor in Hobbit pt 1 or pt 2. He just suddenly shows up in pt 3 in boss mode. :v:

Panfilo posted:

Jet fuel can't melt Mithril beams.

:golfclap:

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Nothing will ever beat the Daredevil movie for terrible lawyers. Why were defense attornies prosecuting a rape case?

Law & Order lawyers are just as bad and they commonly hire defense attorneys to prosecute cases because as I ranted about earlier, the bad guy lawyers are the literal devil while good-guy lawyers are poor saints.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Jun 29, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just watched Gone Girl last night and it was so full of plot-holes. That is to say, Amy's story (especially after she had to start improvising it) was full of holes.

A possible plothole...where exactly was NPH's Lakehouse? Because unless it was within a car tank's worth of gas from Amy and Nick's house in Missouri, then her story falls apart...like, ok, she just escaped a maniac holding her hostage, I'll buy that the police don't question that she was in a sort-of-fugue state and on auto-pilot and just drove straight home, but that makes less sense if she had to do things like stop for gas, bathroom breaks, food, etc..., especially when she's covered in blood. People would wonder why she didn't just call 911 or something.
Speaking of escaping from the lakehouse, she explicitly mentions to look at his cameras to prove she was there and held hostage, except that then they'd notice the initial recording of her arriving of her own volition, weeks (maybe just days? Can't entirely remember the timeline) after she said she was initially kidnapped.
If she supposedly lost that much blood in the kitchen from getting whacked in the head, why didn't the cops wonder why was there no blood trail out of the house into NPH's car?
No one bothered to ask how she got untied long enough to find a boxcutter and keep it hidden from NPH?
None of the "man cave" items in Nick's sister's woodshed would have his fingerprints on them...not a huge hole, but it would be odd to the cops.
An anonymous tip about someone being near her woodshed would be very unlikely to get a warrant, especially since the caller ID would shoe it from a phone at a random campground who knows how many miles away from their town.
Nick's sister never once went into her own drat woodshed in the months and months Amy was buying things and storing them there?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thorin's sword is Orcrist and it's a magic elf sword made to kill orcs and goblins.

Edit: I guess he loses it at some point though.

Anyway this wiki says Dwarves made mithril weapons occasionally: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Dwarven_Weapons_and_Armour

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Jun 29, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mister Nobody posted:

What I don't understand is why was everybody worried about Monty getting in trouble for kicking the poo poo out of Freddie, I mean he was in a coma and X certainly was going to rat him out, so who would ever link him to the crime?

The other people in the shop who witnessed him kicking the poo poo out of Freddie. The owner, the staff, whoever looks at the security camera footage which shows said aforementioned poo poo-kicking....

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aphrodite posted:

Thorin's sword is Orcrist and it's a magic elf sword made to kill orcs and goblins.

Edit: I guess he loses it at some point though.

Anyway this wiki says Dwarves made mithril weapons occasionally: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Dwarven_Weapons_and_Armour

He loses it but eventually Legolas gives it back for him to fight Azog. "Orcrist" is a goblin killing blade (thanks a lot for the misnomer, Tolkein) but it is at least magic of some sort. I'm not sure its mithril, but I will buy that Dwarves did make mithril weapons after all. And Thorin being a royal would have the best access to them, although again he's weilding an Elven blade they find in Hobbit pt 1 and the same wiki says Elves didn't make Mithril weapons, only jewelry and decoration.

Anyways its a huge :spergin: at this point so whatever, cool beans.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm literally watching the Hobbit pt 3 now and the sword Thorin uses at the end is Legolas' that he throws up to kill an orc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nexus6 posted:

I'm literally watching the Hobbit pt 3 now and the sword Thorin uses at the end is Legolas' that he throws up to kill an orc.

Right, which Legolas takes from him earlier in part... 2? When the elves capture the dwarves.

Which the Dwarves found in part 1 in that old cave, which by them having Elven inscriptions means they were Elven.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just watched Gone Girl last night and it was so full of plot-holes. That is to say, Amy's story (especially after she had to start improvising it) was full of holes.

This was the point of the ending when Ben Affleck and Joanie from Deadwood started questioning her and everyone else was all " :mad: :mad: :mad: HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THIS POOR WOMAN AFTER EVERYTHING SHES BEEN THROUGH"

She crafted a story that was just good enough for the TV cameras and people who didn't care enough to look any deeper, and if anyone did look deeper then it was time to feign outrage at blaming this poor victim until they backed off.

I liked the film, but I did worry that this ending would provide fuel to the idiot MRA groups who like to think this sort of thing happens twice daily.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I watched Kingsman yesterday and whilst I mostly enjoyed it a great deal, I was irrationally irritated by the lack of blood in basically every scene where someone dies. Guy gets cleaved in half? No blood, not even on the sheets laid over the cleft halves. Room full of people get their heads literally blown off? No loving blood anywhere. And it's not like the film shies away from ludicrous gore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit

DrBouvenstein posted:

A possible plothole...where exactly was NPH's Lakehouse? Because unless it was within a car tank's worth of gas from Amy and Nick's house in Missouri, then her story falls apart...like, ok, she just escaped a maniac holding her hostage, I'll buy that the police don't question that she was in a sort-of-fugue state and on auto-pilot and just drove straight home, but that makes less sense if she had to do things like stop for gas, bathroom breaks, food, etc..., especially when she's covered in blood. People would wonder why she didn't just call 911 or something.
Speaking of escaping from the lakehouse, she explicitly mentions to look at his cameras to prove she was there and held hostage, except that then they'd notice the initial recording of her arriving of her own volition, weeks (maybe just days? Can't entirely remember the timeline) after she said she was initially kidnapped.
If she supposedly lost that much blood in the kitchen from getting whacked in the head, why didn't the cops wonder why was there no blood trail out of the house into NPH's car?
No one bothered to ask how she got untied long enough to find a boxcutter and keep it hidden from NPH?
None of the "man cave" items in Nick's sister's woodshed would have his fingerprints on them...not a huge hole, but it would be odd to the cops.
An anonymous tip about someone being near her woodshed would be very unlikely to get a warrant, especially since the caller ID would shoe it from a phone at a random campground who knows how many miles away from their town.
Nick's sister never once went into her own drat woodshed in the months and months Amy was buying things and storing them there?

I liked how she was released from the hospital still covered in all that blood. Like, they never cleaned any of it off. She just went home with all that blood on her and took a shower. Also they apparently never checked for any head wounds on her. Like, you know, the kind that are big enough to leave a large pool of blood on the floor. Even if it healed there'd still probably be a scar or something. I mean they knew she'd been "injured" cause of the crime scene. Did they even look at her at all?