Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Prison Warden posted:

And now I've finished Part IV.... do Part 5 and up have good translations yet, or have I reached the end of readable Jojo?

I gotta say, I really like the oloured version... I think I only read like 3 or 4 chapters in the entirety of Part 4 in black and white. I like Araki's art, but it can be a little confusing sometimes and the colours really bring out the details.

I thought the part 5 translation was good enough to understand what's going on, but everyone else says it's a pretty terrible translation, so I'd go with what other people say, since I have an incredibly high tolerance for subpar garbage. Part 6 is when the good translators started, so 6-8 have good translations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Cool, thanks guys.

Brannock posted:

There's a Jojo Manga thread where your questions can be answered in better detail.

I guess, I'm always a little hesitant to jump into threads when not caught up, because they'll be discussing not just current stuff but (in a series like this) poo poo that is years old but is still new to me, and I don't want to stumble upon it.

I don't really care about spoilers, but it's more that I don't want to read stuff like "X character sucks" or "this story arc was great/weak", then I'll be weighed down by preconceptions.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
The retranslation of Vento Aureo is coming along at a good clip too. There was an update for it 4 days ago, so I say read up until you hit the old scans and then check back regularly for updates.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
You shouldn't skip anything, part 5 has some bad translations but it's not nearly as bad as DUWANG. Part 5 is also one of the craziest ones.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I skipped part 5 a long time ago when I was told it had a bad translation. Does it have a good complete one now?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Part 4's original translator was someone who didn't have a very good grasp of English.

Part 5's original translator was someone who didn't have a very good grasp of Japanese.

You shouldn't skip parts, but it's okay to come back to Part 5 later. It's something of an offshoot anyway, so it's not like you'll be going into Part 6 lacking crucial context.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Cool, thanks guys.

I guess, I'm always a little hesitant to jump into threads when not caught up, because they'll be discussing not just current stuff but (in a series like this) poo poo that is years old but is still new to me, and I don't want to stumble upon it.

I don't really care about spoilers, but it's more that I don't want to read stuff like "X character sucks" or "this story arc was great/weak", then I'll be weighed down by preconceptions.

Talking about it here is liable to make some idiot spill something about a later part, spoiling it not just for you but for everyone else who posts in this thread.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
From what I've been told Part 5's original translation is perfectly readable but incredibly dry and none of the characters' personalities come through very well. This is obviously preferable to the unreadable mess that is Part 4 duwang, but still unfortunate. It's somewhat of a side story, though. It focuses on Giorno Giovanna, DIO's illegitimate son and for the most part has almost nothing to do with the rest of the series.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
It is however a part where you see araki's sensibilities and taste shine through the most. Literally italophile: the manga

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Duwang was comedy gold, or at least conveyed something close to the intended tone and translation. Part 5 dudes just made stuff up.

Edit: I kind of think that Duwang is part of Part 4's identity, whether that's a good thing or not. Those goofy lines just fit so well into the characters and made them all the more likable. It's a difficult feeling to explain, but I find that lovely translation endearing. Would I recommend people to read Duwang? Hell no! However, I would recommend that translation that just kept the most memorable lines because, frankly, they are hilarious and don't take me out of the experience. I understand that there is a "better" one out there that excises those lines and, while some may find it appealing, I think those lines are valuable.

Yes, I am somewhat defending this lovely translation.

Iserlohn fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 29, 2015

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Iserlohn posted:

Duwang was comedy gold, or at least conveyed something close to the intended tone and translation. Part 5 dudes just made stuff up.\

Yeah, wasn't the issue that the lines are plain not what's being said? You're just as well off not looking at the dialogue at all in that case.

Duwang now, Duwang forever, by the way. It's a small little town where everyone has a really odd accent, is all.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

TriffTshngo posted:

From what I've been told Part 5's original translation is perfectly readable but incredibly dry and none of the characters' personalities come through very well. This is obviously preferable to the unreadable mess that is Part 4 duwang, but still unfortunate. It's somewhat of a side story, though. It focuses on Giorno Giovanna, DIO's illegitimate son and for the most part has almost nothing to do with the rest of the series.

No, the real problem is that it's coherent but NOT actually translated well at all. As in the translators completely made up certain passages because they couldn't do their jobs. Leaving certain parts with completely different meanings to the original and making a certain Stand's function so confusing it became a fandom meme.

Also, it cuts out several characters' "ORAORAORA" tics and that's unforgivable. :colbert:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

So is there a competent translation now?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There isa competent version in progress. They're going at a good enough pace that there's a new chapter at least once a week?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

the wildest rear end posted:

So is there a competent translation now?

There's a competent one in progress but it's only about a quarter of the way through.

You should read Part 5 anyway because it's super fabulous.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Finally got around to watching the last arc with my goon buds. As I expected, it was a lot better in the OVA. I also don't know what possessed them to make the time stop noise a fart. Still loved the road roller though

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

There's a competent one in progress but it's only about a quarter of the way through.

You should read Part 5 anyway because it's super fabulous.

Ive already gone pretty long without having read it, I can wait a little longer, I think.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The first time I read Jojo I read through part 5 without realizing the translation was bad and fully enjoyed it. I did notice the translation team change and felt the characters get a little bit flat partway through, but was still great and I loved the part.

Maybe I just have a high tolerance for bad translations but I always thought people really overstate how "bad" the translation is. It's not a good one, but you can absolutely read and enjoy it and understand what's happening the vast majority of the time.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Iserlohn posted:

Duwang was comedy gold, or at least conveyed something close to the intended tone and translation. Part 5 dudes just made stuff up.

Edit: I kind of think that Duwang is part of Part 4's identity, whether that's a good thing or not. Those goofy lines just fit so well into the characters and made them all the more likable. It's a difficult feeling to explain, but I find that lovely translation endearing. Would I recommend people to read Duwang? Hell no! However, I would recommend that translation that just kept the most memorable lines because, frankly, they are hilarious and don't take me out of the experience. I understand that there is a "better" one out there that excises those lines and, while some may find it appealing, I think those lines are valuable.

Yes, I am somewhat defending this lovely translation.

Got a feeling so complicated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
On the other hand I could barely stand the translation of part 4 people touted as the "good" one and remain convinced that most of the people who defend it just have Duwang-induced Stockholm Syndrome.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Don't Skip Any Parts loving Hell Why Would You Do That

(also the manga thread is a good place to talk details about why you like arc 4: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723471 )

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Duwang is bad but I'm fond of it in a "When I was your age we had to go to school uphill both ways naked in a snowstorm AND WE LIKED IT" kind of way. It's one of those things that for better or worse became part of the Jojo experience, especially when so many people just stopped or quit or skipped Part 4. You soldiered through and wore it with pride like a badge of honor.

That said, it's definitely for the best it's been replaced, though I'm glad they kept a few of the more iconic lines.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I read Duwang and it can be very tedious at parts, but I felt that it remained mostly coherent throughout, and I don't feel like I was missing out on any of the characterization or anything. Reading the good translations later on cemented this, Duwang managed to carry over all the feelings and everything, despite its short-comings. The good translations mostly just make it easier to consume.

Part 5 however, I didn't notice anything was off when I read it, but that's how it gets you. It looks and reads nicely, but secretly makes all the dialogue dry flat and boring, and you don't even realize it until after it's already happened. Reading about all the mistranslations later on, and all the subtleties it left out, I do feel like I've been robbed of something that could have been a lot better. On the other hand, I also feel that even with the bad translation, the art and actual contents of the fights are good enough that I feel that it can stand on its own regardless of how poorly its translated.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Davinci posted:

Part 5 however, I didn't notice anything was off when I read it, but that's how it gets you. It looks and reads nicely, but secretly makes all the dialogue dry flat and boring, and you don't even realize it until after it's already happened.

Causing a bunch of people to think the protagonist is a lovely character because the translation removed everyone's personality. :smith:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I rewatched the Vanilla Ice fight for fun. It's probably my favourite fight from Stardust Crusaders.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's probably worth taking 40 seconds or so out of your day to remind yourself that this happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fK13ZjmMEI

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On the other hand I could barely stand the translation of part 4 people touted as the "good" one and remain convinced that most of the people who defend it just have Duwang-induced Stockholm Syndrome.

Out of curiosity, why? It seems to have problems of its own (I only recently realized that it's apparently just a heavily touched-up Duwang and not a totally new translation) but it reads like the best English Jojo adaptation by far.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Out of curiosity, why? It seems to have problems of its own (I only recently realized that it's apparently just a heavily touched-up Duwang and not a totally new translation) but it reads like the best English Jojo adaptation by far.

There's just something that's still flat and awkward with the language it uses. It's not something unique to part 4 or even to JJBA, mind you, I can count the number of scanlations that don't annoy me that way on one hand. It just feels like there's this huge gap in the grasp of colloquial English between people who translate manga and people who translate shows.

At the end of the day I'd rather just wait for animated adaptations or officially licensed versions of the manga.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The officially licensed versions of the manga aren't much, if at all, better, honestly.

The crunchyroll subs of the show aren't very good either, not factoring the name changes into the consideration.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Aurain posted:

The officially licensed versions of the manga aren't much, if at all, better, honestly.

The crunchyroll subs of the show aren't very good either, not factoring the name changes into the consideration.

Somehow this post not only convinces me not to bother reading the scanlations, but it also makes me feel like your opinions are insane and not worth taking seriously at all. Besides the name changes I disliked, I don't know how you could say the official translation is bad. It seemed like a pretty reasonable translation to me. I hope they announce a part 4 anime or a part 4 manga comes out in English for me to buy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I didn't say it was bad, though?
I said they're not very good. If I wanted to say they were bad, I'd have said "they're bad".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

just read the invincible trio translation for arc 4

Read Diamond Is Unbreakable You Goddamn Nerds

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The coloured translation of Part 4 is probably the best one so it's maybe best to read that one up until you catch up. Your mileage may vary in regards to coloured versions though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aurain posted:

The coloured translation of Part 4 is probably the best one so it's maybe best to read that one up until you catch up. Your mileage may vary in regards to coloured versions though.

Note that the color version of Part 4 is pretty much the Invincible Trio translation.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Aurain posted:

I said they're not very good. If I wanted to say they were bad, I'd have said "they're bad".

We just had a conversation in this thread about how some of the scanlations take all of the personality out of the characters and are stilted as gently caress, then you said the official translations were not much better. Maybe I shouldn't have taken that to mean that the official translations also take all the personality out of the characters.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The old part 5 scans are bad in that, while they were able to write coherent english sentences, they had a pretty lovely grasp of japanese. Thus, weird emotionless dialogue and completely made-up lines.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CaptianKatsura posted:

I thought the part 5 translation was good enough to understand what's going on, but everyone else says it's a pretty terrible translation, so I'd go with what other people say, since I have an incredibly high tolerance for subpar garbage. Part 6 is when the good translators started, so 6-8 have good translations.

How much of the translation problems are a result of bad translations as opposed to nobody knowing whats going on at all with regards to anything in part 5 at any time during the manga?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Aurain posted:

But Part 3's English release is very good. :confused:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So what would've made the Crunchyroll translations better?

I hope it's gratuitous Britisms and alliteration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't put much stock in translation critiques of people who presumably can't read Japanese. barring SC scan quality and Duwang/VA i don't remember having any issues or pining for better translations.

e: though i'm just talking manga and haven't read much legal jojo.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 29, 2015

• Locked thread