Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I was out walking an hour ago and heard the loudest most ungodly squawking ever. I walk another 5 blocks and a guy was hanging out with two Sulphur-crested Cockatoos. I knew they were loud but I never figured they'd be THAT loud.

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkyYtQaBGc

And that's just the sound of one bird. Imagine a flock... :gonk:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
https://vine.co/v/eJgn7dO0WtP
:3:

Bitey and I have been chilling out today. He likes my cardigan sleeves too. He flipped out at a slice of cheese, however. I brought the cheese over to my plate and Bitey started squeaking fiercely at it, putting his wings out so he looked big, hopping back and forth and in front of it. I took a little corner of it and placed it near him and he squeaked and hopped away and fell on his butt.

I removed the cheese (to my mouth) and he calmed down.

Bitey sure put that cheese in its place.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

sleepy shirt birb :kimchi:

HAHAHAHA die penguin!!!! (I didn't let him chew on it any more after I got the picture. I am now wondering though if a scrubbing brush might be a good toy idea.)

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Mizuti posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkyYtQaBGc

And that's just the sound of one bird. Imagine a flock... :gonk:

Fwiw I deal with this poo poo on the daily. And I dote on Teeka, he is around people all day, he just devotes a certain amount of time each day to yelling. And the angry-sounding kind of yelling, where he loudly proclaims the injustice of being in a cage and kind of alone for like half an hour.

Don't own a cockatoo unless you can tell anyone why you are as crazy and dumb as those birds themselves.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Yeah. All parrots can crank up the volume, but cockatoos in particular are born to make the most alarmingly loud noises possible. Even the happiest, best disciplined cockatoo will lapse into ear-shattering shrieks every so often.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I grew up in an area that has all-year big flocks of galahs and for most of the year is host to migrating black cockies (three types: glossy, red-tailed, and yellow-tailed), sulphur-crested cockies, and uhhhhhh those ones that are all white-ish, some corellas and a couple of others I'm forgetting about, as well as many permanent and migratory smaller parrots, including king parrots, scaly-breasted lorikeets, rainbow lorikeets, crimson rosellas, pale-headed rosellas, red-wing parrots, etc etc. And yeah, cockatoos are LOUD fuckers. Even when they're happy and chill. Especially when they're happy and chill. Cockies especially, and most parrots in general, are just like fruit bats in that they have to tell everyone how excited they are about oh my god you guys, there's a piece of fruit over here! And water over here! And look at this, it's a loving weird-looking bug! Holy poo poo is that a cloud? I'm pretty sure that's a cloud! Everyone come look at this poo poo!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

And yeah, cockatoos are LOUD fuckers. Even when they're happy and chill. Especially when they're happy and chill. Cockies especially, and most parrots in general, are just like fruit bats in that they have to tell everyone how excited they are about wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA WAAAAAH WAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
________________________________________________________________/

black cockatoos are loud as hell but at least they don't carry on all loving day like corellas do

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah Dreggen is a crazy man willingly inviting entire flocks of those to his yard. Or he was born deaf.

Aug 24, 2011

they're cute

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dreggon posted:

they're cute

pretty solid argument :shrug:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I mean, I genuinely looked into getting a 'too, so I can't throw any stones in this glass house. They're adorable and I want to be friends with one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

painted bird posted:

I mean, I genuinely looked into getting a 'too, so I can't throw any stones in this glass house. They're adorable and I want to be friends with one.

I decline to get a pet liable to remove my fingers if wires in its brain get crossed.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
You could say that about a large dog, too.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

painted bird posted:

I don't trust any dog that can take me in a 1 on 1 fight.

Although you can at least train a dog to be subordinate to you, which you cannot do with a parrot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

painted bird posted:

I'm a cat person. Looked into birds as pets, but then I read the description of birds as perpetual three year olds and said nope. They're adorable and I enjoy lurking in this thread reading about their antics, but I'm glad I don't own one. :v:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I wanna live somewhere where there are wild parrots and other cool birds, even if they are assholes and make noise all day

Dreggon posted:

they're cute

That's reason enough, bird friend!

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I love cats, but the idea of a companion animal that can interact with me on the level a bird can is too much temptation. I'm fundamentally broken and I am going to end up with fifty large rescue parrots.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I, too, live vicariously through this thread's bird-havers in the hope that one day my life will be ready for birb. Let's start a commune, guys. No HOAs or neighbors unsettled by 'too fits of anger/joy. Let's build an aviary dome over it all and spend our days sniffing birds and chopping veg. BIRDTOPIA. Pootopia.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I wish I could have a bit but my life situation is just too unstable right now. Instead, I'm going to try to start volunteering at the rescued parrots shelter/commune near me. They have cockatoos who will steal your car keys.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dreggon posted:

they're cute

Fair enough

Are the wild ones ever bitey?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

painted bird posted:

I love cats, but the idea of a companion animal that can interact with me on the level a bird can is too much temptation. I'm fundamentally broken and I am going to end up with fifty large rescue parrots.

Each to their own, I don't like the idea of a companion animal as needy and noisy as birds seem to be. Still, they're cute and many of the stories are amusing, but then people offhandedly mention their bird pooping on them and I am so very glad I don't actually own one.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The big ones that live for 80 years are a big handful yes but generally the smaller you go, the less intelligent, the less stimulation they need. Quakers are supposed to be as smart as 3 year old humans but once they grow up they are certainly much much easier than a kid. The making GBS threads on you is something you can train out, it's not like a cat where they get real embarrassed + a need to bury it like a cat and a litter tray in the laundry though. The shits are small and don't stain. They might leave a mark but it comes off with just water.

E: I guess its like any animal too where if you are always spending most of your day with it, you need to keep doing it, but if the bird is used to you needing to go to work or whatever, its not going to stress too much if it has plenty of stuff to destroy, especially if you have a second.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

The big ones that live for 80 years are a big handful yes but generally the smaller you go, the less intelligent, the less stimulation they need. Quakers are supposed to be as smart as 3 year old humans but once they grow up they are certainly much much easier than a kid. The making GBS threads on you is something you can train out, it's not like a cat where they get real embarrassed + a need to bury it like a cat and a litter tray in the laundry though. The shits are small and don't stain. They might leave a mark but it comes off with just water.

E: I guess its like any animal too where if you are always spending most of your day with it, you need to keep doing it, but if the bird is used to you needing to go to work or whatever, its not going to stress too much if it has plenty of stuff to destroy, especially if you have a second.

Also Quakers look like soft little poofy pillows all the time :3:
Little bird floofs are one of my fave things

Birds actually get better looking once they aren't in the baby stage, unlike kittens to cats (I am also a cat person, this is just a fact)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Good lord, this bird. So after our last bird died a couple of years ago (the eloquent and esteemed Dr. Bird, a cockatiel), we eventually got a green cheeked conure and named her Capt. Conure. After having her for a year and a half or so, she has started running out of fun toys that aren't biting me. Where do you guys get most of your foraging toys, for conure type smart berbs? I don't want to let her get a taste for human flesh.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Yeah the whole perpetual needy infant thing seems more apt for the bigger birds. And with smaller birds you can get them a buddy which takes some of the burden of of you. A pair of tame cockatiels don't require a ton of effort to keep happy and you can still have some bird bros to hang out with.

And Dreggon has a good setup going. Still gets to pester parrots but doesn't have to deal with actually living with them.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Speaking of hanging out with bird bros.

I really need help taming my budgies. I have no idea what to do and they've regressed to the point that putting in my hand to change their food bowls startles them. They flock-call for me when I leave the room, tweet at me when I whistle at them (or talk to them long enough) and puff up happily when I talk to them, so it's not like they're completely wild and unfriendly! They watch me with curiosity when I hang out near the cage. But my hands are the devil as far as they're concerned and I don't know how to remedy that.

(Especially since the time I tried catching them to put them into a travel cage. Urgh. And let's not talk about the flooding incident, either, that was stupid of me and might have set the taming process back by a lot.)

Can someone talk me through what I should be doing, step by step? I'm a moron and need hand-holding in these matters.

And how do I take them out of the cage so they can fly around the room and not be cooped up all the time? Leaving the doors open does nothing, they stay put.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

painted bird posted:

And how do I take them out of the cage so they can fly around the room and not be cooped up all the time? Leaving the doors open does nothing, they stay put.

It can help to start by holding a reward. If there's a toy they might be interested in (with Loki, a spoon, the computer cord, a brightly colored bottle, that kind of stuff all works), and you hold it just out reach with one hand offer your finger with the other, and tell them clearly to "step up!" in a pleasant voice, they'll start to associate the finger (and the command) with something nice. I'm guessing it's a little more complicated if you multiple budgies, but I would imagine the principles are the same.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

painted bird posted:

I want a friend with a cockatoo, one that I can visit and play with and then leave when it gets screamy. My god the noise they can make. Any creature that can naturally make 120dB noise is just unnatural!

In other news, here's a patient golden retriever with a lot of birds!

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/ebVxI

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Holy crap those zebra finches! And of course the budgie brotherhood decides to be dubious of the dog while the cockatiels agree "this is the best thing ever!" :derptiel:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

I want a friend with a cockatoo, one that I can visit and play with and then leave when it gets screamy. My god the noise they can make. Any creature that can naturally make 120dB noise is just unnatural!

In other news, here's a patient golden retriever with a lot of birds!

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/ebVxI
The birdsthoco twitter did a take on one of the pictures that kind of made me giggle, it seemed to capture "bird" so well:

:downs: "Floor."

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Tendai posted:

The birdsthoco twitter did a take on one of the pictures that kind of made me giggle, it seemed to capture "bird" so well:

:downs: "Floor."

birdsthoco and birdrightsactivist are the two best bird-related Twitters in existence.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Got Bitey some pellets (no more tiny fatbird), cuttlefishies, and a little nest today. He really loves hiding in my sleeves/shirt so I figured he might like a nest to sleep in at night. It's made of uhhhhh cane?? Like you make cane chairs out of, no fabric or rope, with a little bit of thick, folded metal wire to attach it to the cage. If he doesn't like it for sleeping in he can at least have fun gnawing on it. I'll post a pic of it when I get back home in a few hours (visiting rellos, Bitey is chilling with a neighbour). The pet supply store I got it from stocks lots and lots and lots of bird-related products, they're pretty cool. They also have a happy talking galah (we had a good conversation and then he decided he was going to hide himself under a piece of newspaper) and a creepy (but pretty) ringneck parrot who had a good stare at me.

Tomorrow Bitey has an appointment with the vet, which will be a general new baby bird checkup, including discussions about diet etc, getting his file set up, and DNA sexing. So soon he will have a proper name!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I like the name Bitey and think you should just stick with that, tbh.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

He will probably reject the pellets at first, and you'll have to be a bit stubborn. You know about the trick of mixing in his old food and slowly transitioning, right? Some people (hi that's me) have tried eating the pellets in front of the bird and then sharing, but that works really well with birds who insist on having a bit of whatever you have. I also got good success with mixing the pellets with some pineapple juice, but my bird is a crackhead for pineapple and citrus juices.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If there is a bunnings near you, you can get some of the $1 seagrass door mats from them. Give them a good wash and air dry first, but you can roll them up and make safe huts. A looot of toys in pet stores in south brisbane are made using them.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Pile of Kittens posted:

He will probably reject the pellets at first, and you'll have to be a bit stubborn. You know about the trick of mixing in his old food and slowly transitioning, right? Some people (hi that's me) have tried eating the pellets in front of the bird and then sharing, but that works really well with birds who insist on having a bit of whatever you have. I also got good success with mixing the pellets with some pineapple juice, but my bird is a crackhead for pineapple and citrus juices.

I've been looking at a number of techniques for transitioning from seed to pellets and I'm going to try different ones until one sticks :cheeky: I'm very patient and he's a baby bird so we will get there sooner or later. I heard about the juice technique, I was thinking that might be a good idea! I won't try eating it myself as I'm celiac/have a wheat allergy/whatever it's called nowadays but I can try pretending!

If there is a bunnings near you, you can get some of the $1 seagrass door mats from them. Give them a good wash and air dry first, but you can roll them up and make safe huts. A looot of toys in pet stores in south brisbane are made using them.

This sounds like a good idea too! I want to make little nests and ladders/ramps all over the place for Bitey to crawl on/hide in and I want them to be things he can gnaw on too if he feels like it :kimchi: He's a smart bird, he's figured out how to get from the floor to my chair or desk by little shoelaces I've strung up, and from my desk to his cage, as well as clambering up my window/door mesh screens and then up to the top of my wardrobe (lots of boxes to hide in!) and onto a water pipe (makes noises!). Clever bird :3: Most of the time he's happy to hang out in my sleeve or on my shoulder but it's good he likes exploring and has figured things out so quickly!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Situations update!

I got home about 15 minutes ago. Bitey was having a snooze with the lights out. He woke up and hopped out of his cage when I opened the door for him. I sprinkled a couple of pellets over Bitey's seed dish. He is now sitting in his dish diligently inspecting it, probably going through trying to find sunflower seeds (his favourite after millet, though this mix doesn't have millet in it, poor bird) and looking at me occasionally with a look that I assume means "What the gently caress is this poo poo".

The cuttlefishie went down well. I stuck it next to one of his perches and he sat on it, tried to sharpen his beak on it, then realised it was actually edible, and had a bit of a go at it. Clever bird! :3:

He is suspicious of the nest, I'll see if he wants to be put in it like being put into a sleeve after he's had fun inspecting his food.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Are there any places other than mysafebirdstore to pick up good foraging toys? I love giving them business, but am curious if there are better selections anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

i feed bird it just stares at me. like what do you want is there some other reason you came to visit