Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

2x06: I love this goddamn show. It's gotten so drat bitter compared to S1 that I don't how it'll go on. Real betrayals! Real tears!

Isn't this the episode that brought death threats to Jiwon in Korea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

2x06: I love this goddamn show. It's gotten so drat bitter compared to S1 that I don't how it'll go on. Real betrayals! Real tears!
A fellow S2 liker! That makes two of us so far.

Capsaicin posted:

Isn't this the episode that brought death threats to Jiwon in Korea?
It was.

Speaking of, I was rewatching S2 recently and it struck me that the other contestants bashing on Doohee always gets talked about as celebrities vs regular folks, but seeing the show again, I think it was more that they just didn't like Doohee. He was a pretty poor player who routinely messed things up for his allies with bad decisions. I'm pretty sure the episode prior he made a play, for no logical reason, that didn't benefit him but lost the game for his team, and had he just done as the others asked, he might even have won the Main Match. He also seemed to get on the nerves of the other players pretty regularly.

Basically, from re-watching it, Doohee was Kyunghoon before Kyunghoon, he just comes off better on screen. Also Kyunghoon is the peak version of that kind of player, but still.

e: This doesn't make Jiwon any less of a jerk, I'm not completely crazy.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 12, 2015

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Tonfa posted:

That's a weird way to put it since it's not like Jinho was stopping him from winning before

Jinho and Dohee were the only players who could realistically challenge Sangmin in S2 but they were eliminated because the games/format in S2 were garbage

Comrade Gorbash posted:

A fellow S2 liker! That makes two of us so far.

It was.

Speaking of, I was rewatching S2 recently and it struck me that the other contestants bashing on Doohee always gets talked about as celebrities vs regular folks, but seeing the show again, I think it was more that they just didn't like Doohee. He was a pretty poor player who routinely messed things up for his allies with bad decisions. I'm pretty sure the episode prior he made a play, for no logical reason, that didn't benefit him but lost the game for his team, and had he just done as the others asked, he might even have won the Main Match. He also seemed to get on the nerves of the other players pretty regularly.

Basically, from re-watching it, Doohee was Kyunghoon before Kyunghoon, he just comes off better on screen. Also Kyunghoon is the peak version of that kind of player, but still.

e: This doesn't make Jiwon any less of a jerk, I'm not completely crazy.

Dohee was smart and a good player. The S2 games were terrible and didn't let him use any of his game theory skills.

My impression of Dohee as smart is based entirely on his S1 appearance when he was brought in as Kyungran's guest for horseracing. He ignored her instructions to make the correct plays and kept her out of the deathmatch.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Jinho and Dohee were the only players who could realistically challenge Sangmin in S2 but they were eliminated because the games/format in S2 were garbage

Dohee was smart and a good player. The S2 games were terrible and didn't let him use any of his game theory skills.

My impression of Dohee as smart is based entirely on his S1 appearance when he was brought in as Kyungran's guest for horseracing. He ignored her instructions to make the correct plays and kept her out of the deathmatch.
My impression of Doohee being a poor player is based on six episodes of screwing up in S2. Even if the games weren't as good as they should have been, his play was awful pretty much throughout.

And would any of the top players have given up the way he did? I can't imagine Jinho, Sangmin, Kyungran, Sunggyu, Dongmin, or Hyunmin not fighting until the end, even in a hopeless situation. They'd have been trying to cut deals or mess up the others plans the whole time. We've seen them all do just that - Sangmin and Dongmin pulled wins out of their asses that way, in fact.

Thinking Jiwon was a jerk and his play was meanspirited doesn't require turning Doohee into the Genius' martyred saint.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 12, 2015

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

My impression of Doohee being a poor player is based on six episodes of screwing up in S2. Even if the games weren't as good as they should have been, his play was awful pretty much throughout.

But everyone likes S1 and pretends S2 never happened.

You are like the guy who thinks Darth Vader is a pussy because of the prequels

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Doohee wasn't Kyungran's guest on S1, he was not on S1 at all :wtc:

Just because he was nerd bros with Jinho and not a broadcaster doesn't mean he was a good player

Edit: like seriously, his Big Play consisted of weeping on the floor

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 12, 2015

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sangmin: haha we duped you with your own garnet, you're the worst player, eat poo poo Jinho: yeah okay :smith:

S2 Cast: We saw you on season 1, we're never gonna trust you Sangmin: ...okay :smith:

Dongmin: I played myself into a corner in monorail, gg :smith:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Tonfa posted:

Doohee wasn't Kyungran's guest on S1, he was not on S1 at all :wtc:

I thought that sounded off.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Max posted:

I think they threw an extreme ways out there during one of the horse betting main matches.

Didn't they use it when Jinho figured out the trick for the card-flipping equation game?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tonfa posted:

Sangmin: haha we duped you with your own garnet, you're the worst player, eat poo poo Jinho: yeah okay :smith:

S2 Cast: We saw you on season 1, we're never gonna trust you Sangmin: ...okay :smith:

Dongmin: I played myself into a corner in monorail, gg :smith:

What even is this post

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

Didn't they use it when Jinho figured out the trick for the card-flipping equation game?

The post that started the conversation was about how they did not do that exact thing.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Hat Thoughts posted:

What even is this post

Terrible

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Doohee was more like math lion dude than Tittygod. He was potentially a smart guy but never really did anything of note. The only thing that I remember is how in the S2 finals he was the only who knew about binary search, and even then he was kind of getting it wrong?

But still, I liked him as Jinho's best buddy.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

S2 had Doofus Senator Dad, it will always have a place in my heart.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

Doohee was more like math lion dude than Tittygod. He was potentially a smart guy but never really did anything of note.

That's like half the players... especially this season. Being smart enough to figure out some strategy during the main game means nothing if you are either too passive or too slow. I think there were players in the preseason or post-match interviews talking about how they sometimes come up with good strategies, but it simply doesn't get into the show because they don't pull it off.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Propaganda Machine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAPzDw_dPMY&t=44s
Found the horse race instance. It's at 44 minutes.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to see an American version. I mean, The Genius has a lot of things that are both strength and weakness for an American audience. the non-standard program length is going to be a big hurdle -- I can't think of a lot of channels around here that would be comfortable committing two hours a week just to an unknown quantity (although CBS doesn't have a problem with running a 24-hour web feed for Big Brother, at least BB had five or six other versions launching at the same time for CBS to buy into it), and I don't really know how much of it you could cut from a Korean episode without affecting the quality. The games are complex enough to allow for multiple strategies, but they may be a little hard to follow for anyone just tuning in. And with the overall gimmick of cashing out the garnets at the show's finale, the producers are going to be pressured to cast for the budget they're given.

I know that Fremantle optioned the show for French and Dutch television, so it'll be interesting to see what they will do with it -- if they can do anything with it. But if the Netherlands gave us The Mole, I think The Genius would be to their liking. I suspect if it lands a time slot in either of those countries, a British version won't be too far behind. Hell, I'd be in favor of a western version in general because of the cultural dynamics at play. A big test for the contestants would be how they function in the overall social game, and it would be interesting to see how that would work out within a French/Dutch/American crowd.

That, and a friend of a friend (of a friend of a friend) was a consultant for the UK version of The Mole and The Crystal Maze, so I'd like to see what he would be able to set up for a U.K. version.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I wikipedia spoiled myself for the results of episode 3.

:stare:

I wonder how that will end up playing out.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

dude789 posted:

I wikipedia spoiled myself for the results of episode 3.

:stare:

I wonder how that will end up playing out.

drat youuuu!!!! :argh: I couldn't resist...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The game is quidditch. Sangmin wins but krum gets the snitch.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Was dongmin crushing at yatnori by simply looking at what combination the opponents were pointing to?

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Dongmin meta'd the gently caress out of team starcraft since Jinho bases his plays around avoiding the worst outcome.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Cute n Popular posted:

Dongmin meta'd the gently caress out of team starcraft since Jinho bases his plays around avoiding the worst outcome.

Yeah, if Jinho doesn't want, say, a gul for an opposing player, he'll practically always throw two marked sticks, making it rather easy for the opposing team to throw two marked sticks as well to get a mo.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I want there to be an American or whatever version of the genius because even if it sucks (it will), a few more people will go watch the Korean version.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Cute n Popular posted:

Yeah, it was a combination of that and just making sick reads. Team Starcraft didn't play around the worst outcome every round, if they had Yohwan wouldn't have eaten two Back do's. Dongmin just had the read on when they would want to play it safe and when they wanted to take a risk and try to land an advantageous move.

Dongmin winning the Yutnori match for his team with literally no pieces from the opposition on the board is one of the most impressive feats I've seen on the Genius, no joke. That's basically as unlikely as winning a chess match against someone with more than a very basic knowledge of chess while losing no more than one or two non-pawn pieces. Remember that every other Yutnori game we've seen, tactical or otherwise, took foreeeever and had pieces from various players all over the board by the time it ended.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think the other games were won by sheer exhaustion because of their length. After like, 2 hours of constantly trying to call the other team's moves, one side had to eventually just give out. But beating then so handily this time is legit pretty impressive.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, it was a combination of that and just making sick reads. Team Starcraft didn't play around the worst outcome every round, if they had Yohwan wouldn't have eaten two Back do's. Dongmin just had the read on when they would want to play it safe and when they wanted to take a risk and try to land an advantageous move.

I mean, Jinho seemed to start out strong a few times, then after he got defeated once, he went right back to "pick the move that can't fail" and it was super easy for Dongmin to just play him.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Is it okay to skip S2? I've seen a couple episodes and have already been spoiled for the ending.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Dongmin was on the 13th episode of Running Man, I reminded myself by coincidence looking for something to watch on the other screen. Recommended as one of the top ten greatest episodes of all time.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 13, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

archduke.iago posted:

Is it okay to skip S2? I've seen a couple episodes and have already been spoiled for the ending.

You should watch some of the episodes, especially 6, since it effected a few things about season 3.

If you know what's coming in that episode, it might lessen the impact, but if you don't then you should absolutely watch it. It was amazing for reasons that really have very little to do with the game.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

archduke.iago posted:

Is it okay to skip S2?

No.

I mean if you're not enjoying it then yeah skip ahead. But it is a good season.

DOHEEEEEEE

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Don't skip season 2, it's not as good as 1 or 3 but it's still The Genius, every episode's worth watching. It's not like season 2's American Horror Story: Coven or some poo poo.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

archduke.iago posted:

S2 gets crapped on a lot in this thread, but it's still solid. Some of us even have the unpopular opinion of liking it! You should give it a try.

That being said, it's definitely the weakest season. The producers didn't handle the longer time slot they got for S2 very well, especially in the first part of the season. They also got a bit unlucky with casting.*

If it's turning into a real slog for you, I'd say watch E6, E8, and the final, and maybe the E7 Death Match at least. Those will give you a cliff notes version of the season and are prime episodes for the things that come up most about S2 (Doohee, Yohwan, Jiwon, Mr Magoo, and Garnet Chaebol). Oh, and either way you probably want to fast forward through E2's Main Match, that was the one where they totally screwed up the longer format.

*Part of my contrary opinions on S2 are with the casting problems. I agree with who was a problem, but not necessarily why.

In S1, they captured lightning in a bottle, especially with Sunggyu and Sangmin. Everyone I've introduced to the show discounts them early on, seeing them as dumb pop idols who are pawns of other players. They always expect the season to be a battle between Gura and Minhoo... and we all know how that turned out.

Anyways, in S2 they didn't get any surprise dominant players like that, so it hurt the metagame of the show. This is where Jiwon's presence caused a problem. Jiwon's big role in early season outcomes made it look like he could be another surprise player, but he was just never that good. It was an illusion because he was willing to do the hatchet work for other players. Worse, Jiwon is pretty unlikable. So the show gives this unlikable, mediocre player a bunch of unwarranted screen time.

Eunkyul was a problem too, because by the end of E2 he clearly didn't want to be there anymore, and working around that made some already pretty rough episodes worse, and his actions damaged some other player's chances.

I've already gone into this in detail, but even worse than Eunkyul and Jiwon was the sheer bad luck they had with Yohwan. They expected a Jinho foil and got a monkey wrench. With the "losers garnets go away" tweak, high-garnet players had a sort of poor-man's immunity. That a player was involved who utterly failed Main Matches but dominated Death Matches was a huge issue under those circumstances. It reinforced the grip Sangmin had on the Main Matches and consistently sent home players who maybe could have disrupted his march to victory. It's easy to discount their chances in retrospect, but E8 is the Case Zero of how Yohwan's presence turned it into an impossibility.

To be honest, that metagame problem with garnet counts is going to exist as long as they do the "loser's garnets go away" thing. It will probably never be as bad as in S2, but it won't take too big a gap for it to come into play. It's my main concern about the show going forward, that I don't think they've really addressed that issue. It was mostly luck in S3 that kept it from coming up.

On another note, the Hidden Immunity in S2 messed up the metagame a bit, but it probably wouldn't have changed much if it hadn't been there. Personally, I think they missed an opportunity with it. If there had turned out to be only the Fake Immunity and no real Immunity in the safe, it would have been a much more interesting bit of metagame and more fitting to the show.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Comrade Gorbash posted:

With the "losers garnets go away" tweak

That wasn't a thing in S2.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Oh, and either way you probably want to fast forward through E2's Main Match, that was the one where they totally screwed up the longer format.

If it was just E2 that's anomalously annoying I suppose I'll soldier on, but christ, there's not a lot of likeable contestants this season.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

archduke.iago posted:

yeah the main matches were "celebrities outnumber and beat up noncelebrities" and the deathmatches weren't interesting, either. feel free to skip.

E6 is funny because it's the "s2"est episode but there weren't any cool plays from a strategic perspective the entire season.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

You really hit the nail on the head with "the problem was casting". I can't imagine anyone expected a guy called "The Emperor" to be a damned idiot.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

You really hit the nail on the head with "the problem was casting". I can't imagine anyone expected a guy called "The Emperor" to be a damned idiot.

It's so weird too, because his whole deal in Broodwar was creative plays. You really would have expected some Exterme Ways from Lim Yohwan.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

S2 It was all a ploy to get everyone to underestimate him so he'd slink through to the finals. And nobody will convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That Youtube playlist is a godsend, there is too much talking going on for Shazaam anytime something good is played. Which is all the time. Whoever picks music for The Genius is, well, a genius. And it's all so random from well known artists to obscure German funk producers, game, TV and movie soundtracks.

In episode 1 I had hoped someone would drop two ID cards 'by accident' during a trade so neither one knew which card they now had. Or some Jinho shenanigans by slightly marking cards with a pen although they probably were told not to do anything to the cards.