Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dick Trauma posted:

Idris Elba's is unfortunately not good, and in Prometheus it verged on terrible. A very good actor though! I agree that Damian Lewis did a fantastic job in Band of Brothers and Ryan Kwanten is solid.

Robert Taylor in Longmire is an example of someone who should definitely not be doing an American accent, especially because in every other way he's perfect for the role. I don't care if they change the script to make the character an Aussie that moved to Wyoming when he was a kid. Just don't undermine an otherwise good casting job by forcing an actor to do an accent they can't pull off.

One of the best contrasts can be seen on The Walking Dead. David Morrisey did a very good job covering his Liverpool accent as The Governor, while Andrew Lincoln was so painful to listen to in the first season that I stopped watching. He's gotten much better but it's still inconsistent. If they changed the script to say "Look, he's English and not a Texan" I could accept it because he's otherwise a good actor.

This of course applies to any actor doing any bad job with an accent, not just bad American accents.

This is like a loving bizarro world post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Paul Blackthorne has a fantastic American accent too.

What the hell. I had no idea.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

LesterGroans posted:

This is like a loving bizarro world post.

Accent discussions are fun if only because there's so much disagreement! :3:

But to re-rail my de-rail I offer this lovely thing:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dick Trauma posted:

Accent discussions are fun if only because there's so much disagreement! :3:

Fairplay, I just literally had the exact opposite opinion on those accents as you. David Morissey was like the TV equivalent of a Liam Neeson's American accent. Clearly poor, but you overlook it because you like the actor. And Idris Elba's is shockingly good.

And bringing it back to posters, a movie/miniseries David Morissey is in with a great poster:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I like all the actors except Dominic West, so no one's getting an intentional pass.

I wish we could all watch some of these performances together and pick them apart, especially considering some of us are from outside the U.S.

Speaking of which... enjoy our giant golden heads!

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Idris Elba sounds so good in The Wire that it's really disappointing anytime he uses his actual accent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kiimo posted:

Every actor in the world is vying for second place American accent behind Jason Stackhouse of True Blood (Ryan Kwanten, Australian, somehow not American redneck somehow).

Holy poo poo, I had no idea he wasn't from somewhere in the American South, he sounds like so many people I know (I live in California, but a good chunk of people I hang out with are from the South, including a very sizable number of people from Louisiana who left in the aftermath of Katrina).

As for the Wire, Idris was amazing and since that was my first exposure to him, seeing Luthor later was a pretty big shock. The guy who plays Carcetti is pretty good, but that might just be because I don't have much familiarity with East Coast accents. Dominick West is pretty obviously not American in retrospect but I bought it the first time around. I do like him pretending to be English in the episode with the prostitution sting, he does a weird Dick Van Dyke esque accent.

Hugh Laurie's American accent is decent enough except when he laughs, especially in the early seasons of House, he has a distinctly British laugh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yvonne Strahovski from Chuck had a pretty great American accent. Even knowing she's Australian I don't think I ever heard it in her voice.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Poster Six-Pack: Sorted for E's Edition

Subtle!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Yvonne Strahovski from Chuck had a pretty great American accent. Even knowing she's Australian I don't think I ever heard it in her voice.

It was funny hearing non-Australians say her Mass Effect character have a terrible accent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They said the same in the Chuck thread when she uses her real accent in an undercover episode.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Do you receive these in the mail? My interest is piqued.

Nope, just from a huge file of posters on my hard drive. My actual wall-mounted posters are mainly from Bogart movies.

And this one:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAi0iD4orL4

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Nope, just from a huge file of posters on my hard drive. My actual wall-mounted posters are mainly from Bogart movies.

And this one:

I think I saw like the last thirty seconds of this on TV once, ended up having to google what the hell it was, because the cable box just spit back "Movie."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

I think I saw like the last thirty seconds of this on TV once, ended up having to google what the hell it was, because the cable box just spit back "Movie."

Those are always the best ones. It's used to be finding something like that used to be watching it the midnight movie and it coming on like some sort of half-crazed fever dream. Then, when you're more awake or sober, you try looking it up in the cable box or the TV guide and that's all there is.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Young Freud posted:

Those are always the best ones. It's used to be finding something like that used to be watching it the midnight movie and it coming on like some sort of half-crazed fever dream. Then, when you're more awake or sober, you try looking it up in the cable box or the TV guide and that's all there is.

That was how I saw Basket Case for the first time. Came in in the last twenty minutes and had no loving clue what was happening or why and it was fabulous.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Young Freud posted:

One time I stayed at a hotel in Crystal Lake, IL (not a camp, thankfully) and in the middle of the night watched a Spanish language ad for a car dealership for like an hour. They had so many costumed characters! They just kept coming out! There was an Elvis and a King with a big "$99" gold chain or something like that, it was goddamn enthralling. If anyone has this video please share it with the world because it was an amazing experience.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Skwirl posted:

As for the Wire, Idris was amazing and since that was my first exposure to him, seeing Luthor later was a pretty big shock.

Talking of Luther, I saw this poster for it that the Beeb put out. Pretty lazy in my opinion, seeing as the show is a bit mental. What's going on with that font?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Distorted Kiwi posted:

And this one:

Hey,I remember this! I can't remember if it was the Betamax cover or a poster, but it's one of those pictures I still remember from the video rental store my parents used to visit, along with the April's fool cover/poster and Dario Argento's Opera. And the Fly's posters. And that huge cardboard Batman they would put outside the store. I loved that store, good memories.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The MSJ posted:

It was funny hearing non-Australians say her Mass Effect character have a terrible accent.

I'm putting that one on the Australian accent itself. Something about it, when surrounded by non-Australian accents (particularly Americans), just makes it sound awful.

That might just be me, though.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I'm putting that one on the Australian accent itself. Something about it, when surrounded by non-Australian accents (particularly Americans), just makes it sound awful.

I'm a New Zealander and I feel the same way when I hear our accent in isolation.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

LesterGroans posted:

Fairplay, I just literally had the exact opposite opinion on those accents as you. David Morissey was like the TV equivalent of a Liam Neeson's American accent. Clearly poor, but you overlook it because you like the actor. And Idris Elba's is shockingly good.

And bringing it back to posters, a movie/miniseries David Morissey is in with a great poster:

On that theme:

This is a YA scifi book, the first of a trilogy. I would think "oh, they're just copying what's successful for profit" given the intentional Ender's Game/Hunger Games marketing but my mind twists in knots when I try to think why someone would try to use the Red Riding Trilogy as a part of that. A Venn diagram of those audiences is probably two separate circles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Kinda, but also it seems like Americans'll only get exposed to two Aussie accents: either absolutely terrible fake ones, or the most extreme, ridiculous ones like Steve Irwin or Paul Hogan. Strahovski's got a pretty bog-standard (albeit slightly broad) Sydney Aussie accent.

Although even with regards to non-extreme Aussie accents, it feels like Melbourne accents (Hemsworth, Jessie Spencer, etc) are a little easier to blend with American. Although maybe with them it's just an effect of vocal training; most Aussie actors in America will shift their voice to be less nasal, speak lower down, even when using their Aussie accent. Whether or not they're doing that is probably a big factor in how well they blend.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 24, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Accents are like wigs and CGI, people think they're way better at identifying them than they actually are.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Just wait for the next wave of CGI wigs...

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

latest edgy film from a very edgy filmmaker

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Calico Heart posted:

Reading Eli Roth's interviews about the movie make it seem even more insufferable than I thought, because apparently the message is taking activists down a peg in a "pee pee doo doo caring about things is for losers" South Park way.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
That rules, I hope it gets more people in to the theater to see his movie about cannibals.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

That rules, I hope it gets more people in to the theater to see his movie about cannibals.

Nobody's gonna go see it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I too hope more stupid people are tricked into seeing a bad movie

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If the response to this movie is going to be that lukewarm Eli Roth is going to wish he kept that baby the natives offered his crew as a gift.

They didn't accept it and the mother was slightly disappointed that they rejected this gift from her people.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol what?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I remember hearing nothing but good things about Green Inferno while it was in release hell, is it actually a bad movie or is it just being assumed as such because it's a genuine exploitation film?

addendum: I also didn't start hearing anything *at all* about the film's politics until Blumhouse picked it up, so unless they did some reshoots I'm inclined to believe they're William Castling it up to try and get people to see it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nobody's gonna go see it.

I will but I'm most definitely a stupid people.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

He told the story on the Doug Loves Movies podcast a while ago (might have been summer of last year). Basically they sent out some people to get in touch with these natives/villagers to discuss if they were willing to participate in this movie and shoot it on location there. After they had been informed what a movie actually was, they came together to make a decision. They agreed and they offered a baby child as a gift of some sorts. Apparently it was a real honor for it's mother to part ways with the child for this too, but there were no hard feelings about it being rejected.

He had another story about a boat of crazy Christians suddenly appearing and passing by while they were filming, docking the boat and disrupting the shoot because they thought they were participating in some kind of devil worship.

So yeah, I look forward to the retail release should it have a director's commentary track.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 24, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Calico Heart posted:

Nothing get's people off their high horses better than watching random college kids get brutally murdered. You sure showed those SJW's, Eli Roth.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Next up: a movie about panda bears mauling wwf members

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That tweet is way too long, and that's just in hashtags. Immersion ruined, Eli. :colbert:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

I parsed that as bears vs. wrestlers, which is basically Zangief: The Movie.

I'm okay with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kurtofan posted:

Habitat for Humanity makes homes for the homeless but they are all haunted and everyone dies a brutal death. You just got pwned, liberals