Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Trebuchet King posted:

Auuuugh I wish I could get a bird. I love sun conures so much and while I like cherry-headeds more the Sun is (a) easier to find around here and (b) probably the closest I'm going to get to a Carolina parakeet. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll finally be caught up on fixing all of this broken boat poo poo.

Suns are fun, albeit very loud :)

E: vvvvv

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

SaNChEzZ posted:

Ritz discovered melon is actually good today.

Ritz is a very pretty bird and deserves to be at the top of a new page, all colourful and cute.

artichoke posted:

That's really the best way - gaslighting the hell out of them. Wish I'd have known that years ago instead of fueling the fire with a "awww you OK baaaby??"

It's one of the best pieces of parrot-related advice I've ever read and works on things that aren't cockatiels too!

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Jade has her standard "s'gooooood?" schmooze for when she wants to have what you are eating. I heard her doing it in the other room and got confused because as far as I knew dinner was over.
"S'goo? S'gooood?"
"Baby, what's she doing!"
"Trying to get me to come closer so she can puke on me-"
"S'goood!"
"No I don't want it!"

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
So, I think he is starting to calm, he is tame, and he can step up fairly well, I just need to get him to do it on command, I just wish he would try some of the foods so I could reward him with treats for doing so.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Your bird will love you soon enough, you just have to remember that they haven't been tamed/bred to be good pets for thousands of years like dogs and cats have, so they still retain that wild bird natural fear of everything new. It's kinda like a baby version of going into an adult big dogs yard for the first time, they have to learn to trust you.

E: IMO until he seems really secure in his cage, I'd try to keep handling to a minimum. For sure get him to step up but try not to give him too much new stimuli until he's proper settled.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 28, 2015

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

And look into clicker training if you want to quickly train it.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Your bird will love you soon enough, you just have to remember that they haven't been tamed/bred to be good pets for thousands of years like dogs and cats have, so they still retain that wild bird natural fear of everything new. It's kinda like a baby version of going into an adult big dogs yard for the first time, they have to learn to trust you.

E: IMO until he seems really secure in his cage, I'd try to keep handling to a minimum. For sure get him to step up but try not to give him too much new stimuli until he's proper settled.

Yeah I've been limiting it to stepping up off his perch and back on again. I just wanted him to be comfortable stepping up in case of emergency.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

vv My forums signature has a kookaburra eating barbeque. This isn't really related, I just wanted to share. :buddy: vv

mine is just a fat pigeon because i think that sums up auspol pretty well...

I have a friend over from Arizona at the moment, so we took him to a wild life park so he could feed the kangaroos and wallabies, and check out the birds they have there. A lot of parrots, the only ones with "CAUTION: I BITE" on the cages were the corellas, because corellas are bastards. They also had this loving thing:

Definitely going to go back another day with my camera.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

What the gently caress is that thing and what did it swallow right before that picture was taken??

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Its an Australian Bustard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_bustard

The male has a giant gently caress off beard so it can impress the ladies, and predators might think its actually a dwarf and leave it alone lest they anger the rest of Moria.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pion has been having brown poop the last 3 days, instead of the usual green. The large one right after waking up seems to have more normal colors, however: Partially brown, partially green.
I don't think I have changed anything particular about her diet.

Edit: Okay, a little reading tells me it might not really be a problem. Might just be her eating more of the pellets in the feed mix I'm using. The shape, composition and consistency all seem normal.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 28, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Captain Bitey currently does either green or brown poos depending on how much of his diet is vegetables vs pellets on a given day and that's apparently normal. Or bright orange that one time he gorged himself on sweet potato and had a bit of a spew. His sweet potato is more strictly rationed now.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

Its an Australian Bustard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_bustard

The male has a giant gently caress off beard so it can impress the ladies, and predators might think its actually a dwarf and leave it alone lest they anger the rest of Moria.
I read that as "Australian Bastard" multiple times before it clicked and you know, my initial thought was "Huh, that's the most honest bird name I've ever seen."

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Pretty much all Australian birds are bastards, except tiels which are derpy potatoes.

They had some cockatiels at the wildlife park too, looking suitably derpy.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Yeah, Captain Bitey currently does either green or brown poos depending on how much of his diet is vegetables vs pellets on a given day and that's apparently normal. Or bright orange that one time he gorged himself on sweet potato and had a bit of a spew. His sweet potato is more strictly rationed now.

I don't really bother looking at their poo for anything-what's the point when every one is different depending on what they've eaten? Bright red pepper shits, gigantic purple blueberry shits, paste-like "just sat and ate some pellets" shits, watery "I just drank my body weight in warm water out of the tap" shits...

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

Pretty much all Australian birds are bastards, except tiels which are derpy potatoes.

They had some cockatiels at the wildlife park too, looking suitably derpy.

I will not hear a bad word said about willy wag tails, fairy/splendid/superb wrens or bronzewing doves.

Well, except the doves being fat and stupid. Very pretty though.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Frogmanv2 posted:

I will not hear a bad word said about willy wag tails, fairy/splendid/superb wrens or bronzewing doves.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Cockatiels would be bastards too if the derpiness wasn't so high that it mostly gets expressed as impotent rage and easily thwarted attempts to eat keyboards.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Frogmanv2 posted:

the doves steal the cockatoo food while the cockatoo is eating it

they also stand on the windowsill and peer in

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 28, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Cockatiels would be bastards too if the derpiness wasn't so high that it mostly gets expressed as impotent rage and easily thwarted attempts to eat keyboards.
Exactly. They try REALLY HARD to be rear end in a top hat jerk birds but can't quite pull it off without being hilarious.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dreggon posted:

I don't know what you're doing in there, but I don't approve of it.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

Battle Pigeon posted:

He's adorable. I also appreciate you posting a cage photo, I love seeing other people's cage setups.

I do too! I actually like the way it was set up before better but I try to move stuff around every week or two to give him something to do. I'm looking into getting a new cage, though; I've had this one about five years and it was a used buy from someone on craigslist, so it's showing some really obvious wear and tear(not to mention a bit of rust, thankfully in places he definitely can't reach).

On that note, though, I'd love to see some other cage setups from you guys, too.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dreggon posted:

the doves steal the cockatoo food while the cockatoo is eating it

They aren't bronzewings :crossarms:

Aug 24, 2011

Frogmanv2 posted:

They aren't bronzewings :crossarms:

all birds are the same

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dreggon posted:

He clearly wants to be invited in to trash your stuff and eat the good food you're obviously hiding.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori's model loaded incorrectly

Tendai posted:

Exactly. They try REALLY HARD to be rear end in a top hat jerk birds but can't quite pull it off without being hilarious.

Pictured: totally an rear end in a top hat jerk bird

Seriously I'm totally as badass as the conures and twice as vicious now pet me

you may live human

Dreggon posted:

How do you handle the cute

aerialsilks posted:

I do too! I actually like the way it was set up before better but I try to move stuff around every week or two to give him something to do. I'm looking into getting a new cage, though; I've had this one about five years and it was a used buy from someone on craigslist, so it's showing some really obvious wear and tear(not to mention a bit of rust, thankfully in places he definitely can't reach).

On that note, though, I'd love to see some other cage setups from you guys, too.

I haven't rearranged the cages properly in ages ugh. I don't usually bother moving the perches around, unless a more efficient/space using way is found or they keep making GBS threads on the current set up, but the toys get changed and rotated around.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Dreggon posted:

They're just watching the caged animals at the zoo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

What is it you want us to do?

Die... DIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE...

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Do green cheeks sometimes stay mad longer than a day or so? I had a busy weekend where I wasn't in as much and Sammy has been extra cranky with me. I'm hoping a good solid evening of scritches and some strawberries will earn forgiveness.

In other news, I may be adopting a Nanday conure! Friend of a friend has one (named Kiwi) that she can't take care of anymore cause she's a marine biology person and will be in the Bahamas and all over for a grad program. Kiwi sounds sweet and I'm hoping they get along or can at least tolerate each other.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Yeah, but isn't necessarily because I ignore her for a couple days so much as she randomly gets in moods. She will also sort of vacillate between liking me or my boyfriend best. Try not to take it too personally. A solid evening of scritches and strawberries is definitely called for anyway, just because.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I so look forward to your posts now in this thread. The swallow and blackbird drama on my driveway isn't nearly as cool looking as your thuggish cockatoos.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Pictured: totally an rear end in a top hat jerk bird

Seriously I'm totally as badass as the conures and twice as vicious now pet me

you may live human
I couldn't pick just one to quote :allears: I love Steve. And his ???!!! attempts to be Ohtori's friend/lover/???

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Well, that looks ominous.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I love the facial expressions of cockatoos, and their soulless eyes.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is there a quaker version of :derptiel:? I just spent like 2 hours worth of time cleaning and cutting paperbark branches, then putting them in his cage, and hes just sitting in his bed rocking it sideways screaming at them.

Aug 24, 2011

im lucky they didnt just drag the whole pot off the table (which they are strong enough to do)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like to imagine that where you live is considered Australia's version of a rough neighborhood because of roving gangs of pillaging cockatoo thugs :allears:

Unrelated, but perfect:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
This bad boy is back in town

I may go and see him before he gets shipped off to his conservation island home again.

Today I learned that they had to put him on a smaller island away from people because since he almost exclusively wants to mate with humans, during mating season he kept making fancy dances at the rangers and not at the lady kakapo.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Tamarillo posted:

This bad boy is back in town

I may go and see him before he gets shipped off to his conservation island home again.

Today I learned that they had to put him on a smaller island away from people because since he almost exclusively wants to mate with humans, during mating season he kept making fancy dances at the rangers and not at the lady kakapo.

Thanks to this thread, I have learned that Sirocco is not some sort of unusual sexual deviant relative to other parrots. :gonk:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Mizuti posted:

Thanks to this thread, I have learned that Sirocco is not some sort of unusual sexual deviant relative to other parrots. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

i gotta go see kakapos/kiwis they are some of my favourites