Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

sterster posted:

Hmmm :/ perhaps underrated isn't the right word. In the beer world I hear very few things about people looking for or talking about their beers. You hear about HT & FFF all the time. I guess I just think they should be closer to that well known. I honestly think elevated & project dank are on the same level or better than some of the well known Ipa/Dipa out there eg: Pliney, Blind Pig, ZD, HT, SOS etc.

It's my opinion and perhaps I'm wishing for my own 'heady' trade fodder.

Also, Funky, have you had any of their stuff? Perhaps I can get some out to you. I'm fresh out and might be able to pick up some stuff in the coming month or so.

Thought about splitting the membership with someone? Me and some buddies do that. We just kind of figure out who wants what bottles and generally we bottle share anything that's limited.

I thought about it.. this year I "split" it with someone. But it was strictly a business relationship. The guy hosed me on helping with shipping/extras a few times so I wind up buying the bottles and stuff that are extra. Just seems that a lot of the b ottles are limit 3, which then turns into bickering about who gets the extra. Plus he seems to be interested in only the really really rare stuff so its not hard to deal with him, but we both want the max on the good stuff. Apparently he's in 3 Bruery splits right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Also, every region has at least one really solid brewery and I think we're at a point where the best IPAs are the freshest you can get at home. Houston is at the top these days for Texas... besides Yellow Rose, Brash (aka Petrol Station's brewery) now has EZ7 starting to hit taps everywhere, plus there's other upcoming IPAs that sound promising: Brash Pussy Wagon and St. Arnold Art Car.

Either that or I just like low abv stuff a lot more these days and I'm gladly eating up all the bait right into the respective new hotshit styles like berliners, gose, and hoppy APA/session ipa.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Two day old jai alai bought at a gas station and drank from the can while on the beach is the best IPA I've ever had.

I just wish it was easier to find berliners, goses, etc in cans/bottles for relatively cheap.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I booked a hotel room 8 blocks from the convention center for GABF. The room has 2 double beds so if someone wants to get in on some beer camp roommate action let me know. Check in Wednesday and check out on Saturday morning.

I'm also going to WTF and the Thursday session of GABF.

If anyone needs a GA ticket for WTF let me know and I'll hook it up for cheaper than the regular ticket price. I need to offload this extra.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 28, 2015

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Is the w00tStout any good? the whole thing just sounds like awful nerd pandering bullshit but, but $10 isn't an awful price for a BA stout. I don't want to buy anything with Wil Wheatons name on it though. help.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Guys help, i'm going to Ocean City Maryland very soon. Any good bottle shops or anything? Even better if there's a bar or a brewpub but I'm expecting nothing but Bud there..

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Cromlech posted:

Guys help, i'm going to Ocean City Maryland very soon. Any good bottle shops or anything? Even better if there's a bar or a brewpub but I'm expecting nothing but Bud there..

45th Street taphouse was decent when I went 2 summers back. I believe there's a new brewery next door to that spot now. But overall, yeah, you're in bro-light wasteland, enjoy.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Can't wait to dwell in Bro Piss while in the sea part of Seacrets!!! It's for my brother so I will dutifully sit in the pee and drink Bud though. Thanks for the heads up. Don't even know where I'm staying yet so hopefully it's close!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

It's not that bad. Avoid all of the Ocean City breweries because they are all loving terrible. Drink Burley Oak and Evolution because those are decent breweries and they're close. Also visit Burley Oak in Berlin because it's only 15 minutes away. The food is terrible and overpriced in OC proper but cheaper and much nicer in Berlin.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HatfulOfHollow posted:

It's not that bad. Avoid all of the Ocean City breweries because they are all loving terrible. Drink Burley Oak and Evolution because those are decent breweries and they're close. Also visit Burley Oak in Berlin because it's only 15 minutes away. The food is terrible and overpriced in OC proper but cheaper and much nicer in Berlin.

I was really happy with Burley Oak when I had some a few years ago. I meant to visit the brewery, maybe this year. 45th Street Taphouse was good. Mothers Cantina had some really good Mexican, particularly the fish tacos. Dogfish Head is about an hour north if you haven't been there. Also on my list.

If you're looking for a really awesome dining experience check out Shark on the Harbor. Amazing food and nowhere near the boardwalk.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

There some decent food spots in OC but they get crowded and ate usually expensive. Fish Tales is one of the better places to eat and they always have burley oak and evo on tap. If you go there get the Ahi Poke with mango and pineapple because that poo poo is delicious.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Cromlech posted:

Liquid Assets is decent and has pretty good food. Sometimes you find some aged bottle gems (a while back they had a 2011 GI Fleur). Do not go to any of the breweries in OC proper.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I actually really like Lots 3 and 6 from Evo (IPA and DIPA) and their porter is quite nice.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

ChickenArise posted:

I actually really like Lots 3 and 6 from Evo (IPA and DIPA) and their porter is quite nice.

Yes, these are all good, but Evo is not in OC.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Is the w00tStout any good? the whole thing just sounds like awful nerd pandering bullshit but, but $10 isn't an awful price for a BA stout. I don't want to buy anything with Wil Wheatons name on it though. help.

I'd say it's good, but not great. Some people seem to like it a lot though. Good price for what it is so probably worth picking up.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Vertigo posted:

or save that for my friend's constant VT runs.... or use it for gas to get to Boston and back in a day....

<brueryhater> This seems like the right answer to me. </brueryhater>

I actually enjoy most of their beer, but it always blows my mind how much people spend being reserve/hoarder members. Personally, I'd much rather spend my money elsewhere.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I am also going to WTF and GABF's thursday session wheeeeee. I am, however, staying at the sexy Motel 6 a mile away; this is part of an extended roadie around CO to see my buds dotted around the state so I'm bringing the dogg with me and keeping things cheap.

There is a lot in Denver beer to catch up with for me.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Vertigo posted:

So...

To renew or not renew Bruery membership next year... that is, that is the question.

I've enjoyed my membership and I have a mule who doesnt' overcharge(just a thank you box after the bimonthly shipments,a nd nothing crazy) .

That being said, its $300 and at least 100/month and then you add on shipping.... its not cheap. I could take a brewery trip once a month, or save that for my friend's constant VT runs.... or use it for gas to get to Boston and back in a day....

Im torn on my decision.

Considering that 90% of their releases in the last year, RS or not, have been wonky gimmick beers that probably weren't the price, you're basically paying just to have access to max buy Black Tuesday and sours at this point.

Kudosx posted:

<brueryhater> This seems like the right answer to me. </brueryhater>

I actually enjoy most of their beer, but it always blows my mind how much people spend being reserve/hoarder members. Personally, I'd much rather spend my money elsewhere.

I'm lucky in that I know a lot of people who are in RS (I knew one guy who was Hoarders for a year but he noped out) and so I get access to a lot of the beer, but I think the days where it was worth $300 just to be the guy at the bottle share with Black Tuesday are over.

When you look at this list: http://www.thebruery.com/beers-by-year/ the 2014 beers have a lot more "skips" than "buys" in my book.

The reality for the Bruery is they've got a million people lined up in their "Preservation Society" who are itching to be RS, so they can keep making crappy beer and there's a line of new enthusiastic buyers who will max buy everything until they realize they have a mountain of unopened Bruery beer that they bring to bottle shares and people go "meh, ok I guess"

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I'm kinda burnt out on GABF and didn't look for WTF tickets, but I should be around & in town if there are some sort of goonevents occurring in association with it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sante Adairius is talking to Duvel.

#rumormill

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
good

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

If it lets them expand beyond their office-park garage then I am all for that.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Serious question here. A local shop here in Az is having a GI event with the distributor. In Az we don't get a lot of GI and it's variants as it is. normally bcbs & coffee, once barley wine. They will be having all of those and VR, 23 bottles. My question is, what time should I show up to try an ensure some VR. The event starts at 4pm. Have you had experiences like this. What did/didn't work? I'm think 2:30pm might be good enough. Thoughts? I hate that I'm considering standing in a line for 2hr for this.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Duvel has been expanding the reach of breweries while keeping quality consistent, they should buy every hyped brewery ever

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

sterster posted:

Serious question here. A local shop here in Az is having a GI event with the distributor. In Az we don't get a lot of GI and it's variants as it is. normally bcbs & coffee, once barley wine. They will be having all of those and VR, 23 bottles. My question is, what time should I show up to try an ensure some VR. The event starts at 4pm. Have you had experiences like this. What did/didn't work? I'm think 2:30pm might be good enough. Thoughts? I hate that I'm considering standing in a line for 2hr for this.

I always err on the side of caution and arrive way early. Better to stand in line for 3 hours and guarantee the bottle you want than to stand in line for 2 hours and get shut out. You know your scene better than we do though so it's your call.

Of course, I live in Chicago so I'd kill for a mere 3 hour long line for BCBS variants.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

LeafHouse posted:

I always err on the side of caution and arrive way early. Better to stand in line for 3 hours and guarantee the bottle you want than to stand in line for 2 hours and get shut out. You know your scene better than we do though so it's your call.

Of course, I live in Chicago so I'd kill for a mere 3 hour long line for BCBS variants.

You know, no joke me and some pals french pressed Speedway Stout through some cheap baking coconut and added a bit of vanilla extract and it was on par with stouts that are made with those ingredients (except a bit oily from the coconut)

If you're feeling like having a pinterest beer night

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MunchE posted:

You know, no joke me and some pals french pressed Speedway Stout through some cheap baking coconut and added a bit of vanilla extract and it was on par with stouts that are made with those ingredients (except a bit oily from the coconut)

My buddies and I do this all the time. Last time we french pressed a lambic with some mango and dragonfruit. French pressing stuff is awesome and its great when you have a cheap beer, or a beer that is below average and you want to at least try it another way.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

MunchE posted:

pressing coffee and/or coconut with stouts is pretty well-established as "awesome" at this point. i've had mixed results with other beer/adjunct combinations, though

also, Bullfrog in RVA soon! i know they also went down to JWB in Miami, so we should have a few kegs of their beer here, soon, as well

oh, just found this post from one of the Hop House dudes: "Edgar, OP Tight, Captain Drinkable, Blackberry Juju, and That Red Ale are all coming to town."

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 30, 2015

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

As much as Bruery has really hosed up over the last year or two, they I love them for the fact that they remade Bottleworks XII as Beret and sent it out to distro. And no one in Chicago seemed to notice, so it lingers on shelves.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

MunchE posted:

I love doing this. It honestly gets really close to the real thing on variants. Dropping half a fresh vanilla bean in a bottle of BCBS and recapping for a while is pretty much the best.

crazyfish posted:

As much as Bruery has really hosed up over the last year or two, they I love them for the fact that they remade Bottleworks XII as Beret and sent it out to distro. And no one in Chicago seemed to notice, so it lingers on shelves.

Oh poo poo thanks for the tip! I haven't seen this around at all.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

LeafHouse posted:

I love doing this. It honestly gets really close to the real thing on variants. Dropping half a fresh vanilla bean in a bottle of BCBS and recapping for a while is pretty much the best.

Oh poo poo thanks for the tip! I haven't seen this around at all.

Check your local Binny's Glen Elyn and Downers had tons! If you need one picked up I can grab it.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I've got a bit of a hardon for BA stouts, so I'm not sure I'm the right guy to answer this, but I liked it enough to go buy another one after I drank it.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

funkybottoms posted:

pressing coffee and/or coconut with stouts is pretty well-established as "awesome" at this point. i've had mixed results with other beer/adjunct combinations, though

We did a lot of berliners with fruit - berries mixed quickly and well, stuff like peaches and firmer fruits didn't impart much flavor after a few hours (we were impatient). Oh, and a little bit of lime goes a LONG way.

Also the drunker we got the worse our concoctions got

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

SnowDog posted:

I've got a bit of a hardon for BA stouts, so I'm not sure I'm the right guy to answer this, but I liked it enough to go buy another one after I drank it.

Well if its around next paycheck ill pick it up. Its good pretty drat good reviews and I havent had a good BA stout for a few months so why not.

Speaking of that theres a bar around here thag had the BBA Yeti f on tap for like $3.50 and it was very vry dangerous.

Also, I picked up a bottle of pFreim's Belgian strong blonde. I've only had it at the brewery so im excited to revisit it.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I had an American customer mention yesterday that he'd buy a lot more beer if it wasn't so expensive in the UK. That led me to thinking, what (aside from the obvious things, like US beer incurring transport and customs costs here in the UK, and UK craft breweries being tiny compared to US ones) makes US craft beer so cheap? As in, what's the taxation regime like on a federal/state level? Is the price of a Lagunitas six-pack the same the country over where they have distribution, or does it vary? I know sales tax gets added on to the sticker price but I'm talking before that.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Dusseldorf is next to Koln, similarly to how Dallas and Fort Worth are two large metro areas near each other, and each city is respectively known for alt and kolsch.
A walk along the Rhine brought me to Aldstradt, the old town area which is also known as "the longest bar in the world". This is a square mile area with 200+ bars!

2 euro gets you a 25cl glass of yummy fresh alt. There's zero variety to speak of, but the quality of each alt more than makes up for the lack of choice. The malt profiles are so much more prominent and easily distinguishable in the beers tried at Uerige, Fuchschen, and Schumacher. This is also my first time in Germany and the drinking atmosphere is impossible to duplicate, especially with how the way waitstaff may seem standoffish, but that's just them trying to work efficiently and quickly.

Someone on TalkBeer specifically suggested this 1838er alt. Not quite pale ale territory indeed, though the hoppiness was a welcome detour!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Koln is so tight, but i didn't make into Dusseldorf. i'm assuming you're visiting the Kolner Dom, but if not, do it, then check out the Museum Ludwig, then walk over to the Rheingarten and drink some kolsch- you will be repeating one of my favorite beer-drinking experiences

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
http://www.aperfectpint.net/blog.php/2015/07/not-your-fathers-root-beer-my-strange-visit-to-small-town-brewery/

Pretty interesting write-up/quasi-interview with Tim Kovac, the founder of Small Town Brewery who makes the "Not Your Father's Root Beer." Kinda hints at the founder being full of it regarding the history of it and its production.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Scarf posted:

http://www.aperfectpint.net/blog.php/2015/07/not-your-fathers-root-beer-my-strange-visit-to-small-town-brewery/

Pretty interesting write-up/quasi-interview with Tim Kovac, the founder of Small Town Brewery who makes the "Not Your Father's Root Beer." Kinda hints at the founder being full of it regarding the history of it and its production.

I'm loving this developing story. It's like astroturfing for beer. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Haha I had just listened to the Strange Brews podcast about it on my way into work. It is entertaining but I don't really get the big news about it because I never thought of it as a beer in the first place.

Also BCBS: http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/goose-island-new-bourbon-county-stout-story.html#page=1