Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

:psyduck: He's been at Yahoo since 2007.

I assume he is confusing him with Gene Wojciechowski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I assume he is confusing him with Gene Wojciechowski

Probably. I made the same mistake for years.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

Probably. I made the same mistake for years.
Those goddamn Polish all sound the same

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's pretty bad how long it took for mainstream media to notice what a cesspool that place is instead of just gleefully hyping the celebrity AMA threads

People say this here all the time but you really have to look to find "the cesspool." I go to reddit sometimes, especially when I am trying to find a discussion on a specific product, and I never see that poo poo. I'm sure they have all types of subforums that are horrible but I have never seen any of them and wouldn't even know how to find them. The only time I have seen this Men Rights (I don't know what the A is for) stuff or racism "all over reddit" is on another site talking about how it is all over reddit. It is like Gamergate (which is another thing I don't understand), to some people it is a huge deal and gets talked about all the time, but if I walked down the street and asked 50 people in a row what Gamergate was I'd probably get 50 blank stares. And if you asked me you would get one because I don't know what it is except for the "ethics in journalism" joke

WayAbvPar posted:

Exactly. I just want to listen to him and Sal picking the spreads on the way to work. Although I wonder if Sal's employer will sanction his appearances elsewhere.
goddamn I hope so. I miss his podcast

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Henchman of Santa posted:

:psyduck: He's been at Yahoo since 2007.

As several have guessed, I was thinking of Gene Wojciechowski.

I'd like to see Simmons host a Game of Thrones version of the Talking Dead where he clearly has only the vaguest undertanding of what just happened in the episode that just aired.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 23, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Ribsauce posted:

People say this here all the time but you really have to look to find "the cesspool."
The casuals don't care about the "cesspool" and the hardcore stick to their subreddits. any community that big on the internet will have its dark corners.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Reddit is basically just SA except everyone is a GBS poster so nobody has to hide behind irony when they're a racist/sexist.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

Hey now

Some polish people have Z names, so they don't all sound the same. Like Szczerba.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Howard Bryant has been tabbed by ESPN to save/restart/finish/complete the "Black Grantland"/"Undefeated" project

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
hulk hogan saying the n-word a bunch probably bails out gawker on their claim of the sex tape being newsworthy lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Groucho Marxist posted:

hulk hogan saying the n-word a bunch probably bails out gawker on their claim of the sex tape being newsworthy lol

dunno, they didn't actually stick that part in the article

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Groucho Marxist posted:

They are probably the ones that leaked it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Parlett316 posted:

They are probably the ones that leaked it.

such treachery hasn't been seen since macho man broke up the mega powers

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

R.D. Mangles posted:

this is the wrestling equivalent of triple h crashing stephanie and test RIP wedding

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

R.D. Mangles posted:

If nothing else, the revelation of the Hulkster sleeping with a friend's wife completely vindicates Macho Man's suspicions.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

anyone remember when the sa forums word-filtered racial slurs to hulkamaniacs

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ayn rand hand job posted:

dunno, they didn't actually stick that part in the article

A.J. Daulerio, Mr. Journalism.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I know it is about pro wrestling, but Sports Illustrated posted an article littered with factual errors and misleading information. It is like they didn't even try.
http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/07/26/wwe-hulk-hogan-racism-vince-mcmahon

It has been up for three days with no corrections. I count 4 without googling and I'm not exactly a wrestling historian. I really want to know, did anyone check anything in this article? Surely someone has alerted them to it by now.
(FYI: Hogan beat Sheik in 1984, The Rock's dad was Canadian, Owen Hart was in The Nation*, Vince said the N-Word to Cena, not Booker T...not that that makes it much better, but still, it is a factual error.)

The misleading information is blaming some characters on the WWE (Kamala/Junkyard Dog) when those were characters created elsewhere.

*I asked her about her errors on twitter and she replied
Owen Hart was in the Nation after Farooq was ousted and The Rock took over. He wasn't...
he wasn't a part of the Pro Muslim slant that originated with The Nation

but did not address the other errors. She didn't even acknowledge I asked about them.

edit

Per her twitter, it looks like she originally had Harlem Heat as a WWE tag team when they were WCW. They deleted that error (without putting a note in the article) so maybe they will fix these also.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 30, 2015

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I agree that articles should be factually accurate, but the idea of rigorously fact-checking an article to ensure proper depictions of wrestling feuds is also very funny to me ma'am ma'am i believe you are mistaken sgt slaughter actually did not strangle jake the snake with his own boa constrictor, he was attempting to strangle him when he was thrown out of the ring by the guys from new zealand who stomped around a lot i have it on tape

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I know, I felt like a doofus even sending her a tweet about it (and an even bigger doofus posting about it here). However, it is pretty lame she replied addressing 1 of the 4 errors and ignored the other 3. I wonder if SI will correct them in the article.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm also in the camp of this really doesn't matter and it's funny that no doubt there are a ton of nerdy as gently caress wrestling fans getting pissed.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
To me the most interesting part is a writer (associate editor, whatever that means) for a legitimate news organization* has been alerted to multiple factual errors in an article they wrote, ignored it even though I know she knows about the errors because she replied to one of the 4, and the news organization is not correcting the article. Even though there are maybe 5 things on planet Earth that it would be more lame to contact an author when they have their facts wrong, they should still correct it.

*or at least they were at one point, I think all they do on their horribly designed website now is post bikini pictures

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I find the most interesting part is that you're upset.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I'm not upset about it at all. I'm not angry. I just read the article, thought "hey that is wrong, so is that, did anyone check this?" and tweeted the author...quite politely I might add. I even complimented her on the article's message.

For the record part of what I do (for my job, not for fun) is read through things, pick out statements which sound incorrect, and verify them. Maybe that is why I sent her a message after instead of just closing the window. Also, please don't waste your time saying "you posted 4 times, you must be upset." I'm really not. I just think it is interesting SI hasn't corrected it.

Of course, I am sure somewhere there is some nerd who said DAMNIT LADY HULK HOGAN BEAT SHIEK IN MADISON SQUARE GARDEN WITH A LEG DROP IN 1984, HOW DARE YOU but that isn't me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ribsauce posted:

Of course, I am sure somewhere there is some nerd who said DAMNIT LADY HULK HOGAN BEAT SHIEK IN MADISON SQUARE GARDEN WITH A LEG DROP IN 1984, HOW DARE YOU but that isn't me.

and his name is Dave meltzer

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

and his name is Dave meltzer

It's still real to me, dammit.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Ribsauce posted:

I'm not upset about it at all. I'm not angry. I just read the article, thought "hey that is wrong, so is that, did anyone check this?" and tweeted the author...quite politely I might add. I even complimented her on the article's message.

For the record part of what I do (for my job, not for fun) is read through things, pick out statements which sound incorrect, and verify them. Maybe that is why I sent her a message after instead of just closing the window. Also, please don't waste your time saying "you posted 4 times, you must be upset." I'm really not. I just think it is interesting SI hasn't corrected it.

Don't worry. Pulling the "you posted more about this, you must be upset/chill out/lol just a joke" is the lamest of lame retorts. I just know this lady is being bombarded by the worst of the worst and it sort of pleases me that its getting those dudes upset.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Get the small things right. If you don't, no one's ever going to trust you about the big things.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

midwat posted:

Get the small things right. If you don't, no one's ever going to trust you about the big things.

Yea i was going to say something along these lines. How can you trust someone's work if they cant be bothered to fact check small poo poo like this. With the internet it isn't like it would have taken a long time.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Ribsauce posted:

I know it is about pro wrestling, but Sports Illustrated posted an article littered with factual errors and misleading information. It is like they didn't even try.
http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/07/26/wwe-hulk-hogan-racism-vince-mcmahon

It has been up for three days with no corrections. I count 4 without googling and I'm not exactly a wrestling historian. I really want to know, did anyone check anything in this article? Surely someone has alerted them to it by now.
(FYI: Hogan beat Sheik in 1984, The Rock's dad was Canadian, Owen Hart was in The Nation*, Vince said the N-Word to Cena, not Booker T...not that that makes it much better, but still, it is a factual error.)

The misleading information is blaming some characters on the WWE (Kamala/Junkyard Dog) when those were characters created elsewhere.

*I asked her about her errors on twitter and she replied
Owen Hart was in the Nation after Farooq was ousted and The Rock took over. He wasn't...
he wasn't a part of the Pro Muslim slant that originated with The Nation

but did not address the other errors. She didn't even acknowledge I asked about them.

edit

Per her twitter, it looks like she originally had Harlem Heat as a WWE tag team when they were WCW. They deleted that error (without putting a note in the article) so maybe they will fix these also.

yo bro Owen was in the Nation at one point. He was a Black Hart damnit.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Int. New York Times Hiring Office

Boss: Well Ms. Newman it seems everything is in order. Your resume speaks for itself. Your writing samples are amazing. I'd like to offer you the job of Bureau Chief for Asia.

Elizabeth Newman: Oh thank you. I can't wait to start. I need to call my fam...

Boss: There's just one thing. In the summer of 2015 you wrote that the WWE created racist characters that tread in old, outdated, and quite frankly ridiculous stereotypes. Is that true?

Newman: Um, yes it is sir.

Boss: Well theres just one problem. Characters like Kamala and the Junkyard Dog were created elsewhere and then brought into the WWF. DID YOU REALIZE THAT?! I'm not going to hire you. I'm going to tell everyone in this business that you are a hack. You'll never work in this town again!!!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

soggybagel posted:

Don't worry. Pulling the "you posted more about this, you must be upset/chill out/lol just a joke" is the lamest of lame retorts. I just know this lady is being bombarded by the worst of the worst and it sort of pleases me that its getting those dudes upset.

On the other hand, loving up the date of a seminal moment in the lede of a historical analysis is something an editor should be fixing. It's only going to encourage and lend credence to people really nitpicking the details.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

soggybagel posted:

Int. New York Times Hiring Office

Boss: Well Ms. Newman it seems everything is in order. Your resume speaks for itself. Your writing samples are amazing. I'd like to offer you the job of Bureau Chief for Asia.

Elizabeth Newman: Oh thank you. I can't wait to start. I need to call my fam...

Boss: There's just one thing. In the summer of 2015 you wrote that the WWE created racist characters that tread in old, outdated, and quite frankly ridiculous stereotypes. Is that true?

Newman: Um, yes it is sir.

Boss: Well theres just one problem. Characters like Kamala and the Junkyard Dog were created elsewhere and then brought into the WWF. DID YOU REALIZE THAT?! I'm not going to hire you. I'm going to tell everyone in this business that you are a hack. You'll never work in this town again!!!!

Eh. There's also some sleight of hand misrepresentation which also undermines the argument. WWE has had African American world champions before, but they happened in a period where the company was essentially split into 3 different promotions, so they weren't "undisputed". That's also handwaving away Rock, Yokozuna, and Eddie Guerrero. (And possibly Inoki) so the statement is technically true, but it isn't the most historically accurate.

The entire bit at the end is also reporting on bad information and basing its analysis on bad information. It should probably be rewritten, since you could make a stronger point. The purge last week was to remove all mentions of him on the website, not the actual HOF. Hogan's still technically in the HOF, but the status is in flux. (Meltzer in the latest WON)

Although ultimately the WWE answer will be along the lines of that you can't deny history and that they've been actively working within the last decade or so to be a more inclusive company.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

That person should go back to blogging instead of trying to be a journalist

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
This may be the wrong thread but this didn't feel worthy of making a new one.

I picked up a Kindle Unlimited subscription for Amazon Prime Day, does anybody have a list of good sports books available on Kindle Unlimited?

I started browsing through a list of Sports ones and most of them are like manuals on concealed carry or how-to books, but I've found a few good ones, but would love recommendations for more.

I'm a big baseball nut but don't really follow or watch other sports, but I really enjoy sports history type stuff.

A few of my finds so far:

That First Season: How Vince Lombardi Took the Worst Team in the NFL and Set It on the Path to Glory - John Eisenberg; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZUY10M
This was a good read chronicling Vince Lombardi's first season with the Green Bay Packers.

When the Game Was Ours - Larry Bird, Earvin Johnson, Jackie MacMullan; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003K16P6E
Also a great read, the story of the Larry Bird / Magic Johnson rivalry with lots of material based on their own recollections. Does a great job of putting the story in the context of the Lakers/Celtics rivalry and just the story of the NBA overall at the time too.

Summer of '49: The Yankees and the Red Sox in Postwar America Kindle Edition - David Halberstam; http://www.amazon.com/Summer-49-Yankees-Postwar-America-ebook/dp/B00AFB5N24
October 1964 - David Halberstam; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEGIGM4
I haven't read either of these but they are both available on KU and I've heard of them before.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

There is a great recommendation thread in the Book Barn.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3147139&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I dunno about Kindle Unlimited, but Loose Ball by Terry Pluto is my favorite basketball book, it covers the history of the ABA and it's a great read.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Either this winter or last, baseball SAS did a book club thread.

Also I recommend everything by Joe Posnanski except the Paterno book.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Everything Halberstam did was at least pretty good. Richard Ben Cramer's DiMaggio biography is pretty great.

It's not history or baseball but I think Friday Night Lights is the best non-fiction book I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Book club died pretty quickly :negative: But we did all manage to read The Lords of the Realm. I think we burnt out because that was a long book.