Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Kilometers Davis posted:

Jesus loving christ you guys have dropped so much good metal here. I'm so thankful for apple music because otherwise my wallet would be obliterated. Sometimes I ignore modern metal because so much of it bores me but there's a good burst of interesting stuff this year.

Toll the Hounds posted:

Obsequiae - Aria of Vernal Tombs ( amazing, I guess melodic american black metal with atmosphere and legit medieval harp interludes? How to pin genre... - best production in a metal album I have EVER heard. This might be a top 5 of all time for me, I listen to it every.single.day. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLGBNpQBRXs

This is incredibly good. I haven't instantly had THAT feeling from black metal since hearing Summoning back in the day.

The more you listen to it the better it gets and it really is one of those albums that can be listened to from start to finish for the full effect. Individually the songs are still amazing but when you go through the whole thing it's just an...EXPERIENCE. It's brutal, beautiful, peaceful, depressing, and uplifting at the same time. I always end listening to it with a contended sigh, it's that good.

I ended up ordering my first physical CD in years then started looking into their first album - Suspended in the Brume of Eos. I couldn't find it in Google music so I actually bought a loving vinyl - my first one ever, and now am one of THOSE people. I'm now patiently awaiting the vinyl release for Aria so that I can buy the album *again* ( and then have 2 vinyls ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TollTheHounds posted:

This is incredibly good. I haven't instantly had THAT feeling from black metal since hearing Summoning back in the day.

quote:

The more you listen to it the better it gets and it really is one of those albums that can be listened to from start to finish for the full effect. Individually the songs are still amazing but when you go through the whole thing it's just an...EXPERIENCE. It's brutal, beautiful, peaceful, depressing, and uplifting at the same time. I always end listening to it with a contended sigh, it's that good.

I ended up ordering my first physical CD in years then started looking into their first album - Suspended in the Brume of Eos. I couldn't find it in Google music so I actually bought a loving vinyl - my first one ever, and now am one of THOSE people. I'm now patiently awaiting the vinyl release for Aria so that I can buy the album *again* ( and then have 2 vinyls ).

Dead serious I think it's going to end up as one of my all time favorites. The hooks are in deep. And they're from Minnesota! What. I never imagined one of my favorite finds in the last 5 years would be lute infused black metal from Minnesota.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Kilometers Davis posted:

Dead serious I think it's going to end up as one of my all time favorites. The hooks are in deep. And they're from Minnesota! What. I never imagined one of my favorite finds in the last 5 years would be lute infused black metal from Minnesota.

I feel like I know the Minneapolis metal scene pretty well, but I've never heard of them before? Do they ever play live?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Gamma Nerd posted:

I'm pretty sure Jag Panzer aren't death metal.

On the other hand he's also in Satan's Host which is... Okay, not death metal either but pretty hilariously awesome.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Listened to Thane to the Throne earlier today, that album still rules.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Listened to Thane to the Throne earlier today, that album still rules.
banquo is gooooooooooooooooooooone

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's the gift that keeps on giving. The more you read about it the better it gets too - like all of the harp pieces are based on actual medieval songs that would've been played back in ye 'olde tymes. There's a really in depth and embarrassingly nerdy write up of the album here ( :words: ): http://blackivorytower.com/2015/05/22/re-enchanting-the-world-obsequiae-as-medieval-myth-imagination/

Kilometers Davis posted:

Speaking of which, imagine if Summoning were Americans ( from Utah, no less ), had lyrics based on Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, and called themselves Caladan Brood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4E6sTPlxeQ

dxt posted:

I feel like I know the Minneapolis metal scene pretty well, but I've never heard of them before? Do they ever play live?

I don't think Obsequiae play live shows. The main songwriter guy Tanner Anderson is one of those people who's in tons of small/one-man bands/contributes to others ( Agalloch, Panopticon, Celestiaal, etc etc ).

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 31, 2015

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

New Ares Kingdom in autumn too. Oh yeah :cool:

New Revenge at some point too iirc.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Jumping on the bandwagon of love for this album, holy poo poo is it good. And I'm not usually one to go for the more melodic black metal stuff.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Thanks for posting those Obsequiae and Caladan Brood albums. This is some good poo poo.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
This really has no business being a good cover. It's the worst Nirvana song ever and Boris has been really really miss lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dhor5gj8E4

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

A human heart posted:

New Revenge at some point too iirc.

i kinda want conqueror to come back instead, but i'll settle for some new revenge.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

This really has no business being a good cover. It's the worst Nirvana song ever and Boris has been really really miss lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dhor5gj8E4

I thought Noise was pretty good, I guess I haven't heard the 40 albums they've released so far this year though.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Vulture Culture posted:

Thanks for posting those Obsequiae and Caladan Brood albums. This is some good poo poo.

Maybe give this a try as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsWqKRysBcQ

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Holy poo poo Hibria and Unleash The Archers are playing at the tiny metal bar across the street (The Maywood for Raleigh folks), that is happening.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

yep this also hit the spot, i'm going to disappear into a hole with some diapers and four cases of mountain dew baja blast and camp out on this youtube channel for the weekend

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Saor are excellent, Aura is a great album too!

While we're continuing the kinda atmospheric vein:

Gallowbraid ( same dude who does Caladan Brood, more guitar-centric/folky ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDeOcJLzoX0

This is some underground poo poo these days, I can't find a digital version ( CD or otherwise ) of this album ANYWHERE, other than Youtube. You can still find the vinyl around though at least.

I've found the CD a few places for $35+, you can get the LP from HELLS HEADBANGERS for $18.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 31, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Been listening to Brulvahnatu again.

If you like Antediluvian, you'll like this as this is a solo project of their ex-bass player/vocalist.
http://paganflamesprod.bandcamp.com/album/menstrual-extraction-ceremony

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

Oldstench posted:

If you like Antediluvian, you'll like this as this is a solo project of their ex-bass player/vocalist.

I just mentioned this in the BM thread last week, but he's got a new full length out too.
https://brulvahnatu.bandcamp.com

It was the first I'd heard of him, and so far I've been super impressed. It sounds great too, especially for a one man project.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

^^^ I want this album for the cover art alone so I can display it upside down and throw people off. "Actually Mom, it goes this way :smug:."

Oldstench posted:

AAAHHH! Too much awesome new music. I'm literally having a hard time keeping up with it.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 1, 2015

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

TollTheHounds posted:

Speaking of which, imagine if Summoning were Americans ( from Utah, no less ), had lyrics based on Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, and called themselves Caladan Brood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4E6sTPlxeQ
Holy
:stare:
loving
:magical:
poo poo

e: And of course they go by Shield Anvil and Mortal Sword.

Wow. Heard most of the album now and ...god drat.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 1, 2015

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Fenrir posted:

Holy
:stare:
loving
:magical:
poo poo

e: And of course they go by Shield Anvil and Mortal Sword.

Wow. Heard most of the album now and ...god drat.

It is actually so much better when you've read all the novels. Book of the Fallen and Wild Autumn Wind are my favorites.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm almost done with The Bonehunters :shobon:

Wild Autumn Wind is definitely my favorite right now.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Annihilator released the first track from their new album, Suicide Society.

It's uh...It's good, I guess?

Doesn't sound like Annihilator at all but it's not completely terrible. I just hope they don't turn into Havok and post anti-government political rants every week or two.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Fenrir posted:

I'm almost done with The Bonehunters :shobon:

Wild Autumn Wind is definitely my favorite right now.

9:30 onwards in that song gives me chills without fail. Atmospheric black metal themes fit the books so loving well. Don't forget to read the Ian C Esselmont books in the proper order as well, because poo poo gets SUPER real in them and there are crucial plot elements that happen in the same timeline as the Erikson books.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

symbolic posted:

Doesn't sound like Annihilator at all but it's not completely terrible. I just hope they don't turn into Havok and post anti-government political rants every week or two.

Sounds like a Megadeth outtake.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Have Annihilator released anything of real merit in the last 25 years? I really think they're a "one and done" band, if even that.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Defiant Sally posted:

9:30 onwards in that song gives me chills without fail. Atmospheric black metal themes fit the books so loving well. Don't forget to read the Ian C Esselmont books in the proper order as well, because poo poo gets SUPER real in them and there are crucial plot elements that happen in the same timeline as the Erikson books.

Hell it goes from "drat this is good" to "HOLY WHAT THIS IS AMAZING" sooner than that, more like six minutes in. Kinda reminds me of Blackholes off the latest Ne Obliviscaris with how it has that shift halfway through.

That said, I've heard the Esselmont books range from bad to ultra-bad.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I'm always surprised when people inform me that Annihilator is still around. The last time I even bothered to check them out was "All for You", and what a big loving mistake that was.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Fingers McGee posted:

I wondered why no one had talked about it. I think it's fantastic.

While I was checking out Caladan Brood I also gave the new Melechesh a listen and :drat:

Why does it have such lovely reviews? I mean, do people really want to hear another Djinn/Sphinx every few years? I don't get it.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

david crosby posted:

Thanks everyone for posting some kool poo poo. Here are some good albums that I didn't see posted:

Abyssal - Antikatastaseis
Not as good as Novit Einem or whatever, but that is one of the sickest albums ever made. This album is still good, a little more melodic & ambient than their previous stuff.

Malthusian - Below the Hengiform
Just an EP, but my favorite album of the year so far. If there is a better riff written this year than the one that ends 'Forms Become Vapor,' that would be cool, because that riff is really loving good!

Akhyls - The Dreaming I
Extremely dark atmospheric/ambient black metal.

Paradise Lost - The Plague Within
I've never listened to any other Paradise Lost album, but this one is apparently a return to form??? or something like that? Its good.

Can't wait to hear more cavernous, noisy, evil black & death metal as the year continues.

Thanks for these. I had been meaning to check out the Abyssal album. Sound advice from David Crosby.

Oldstench posted:

This is great. I love the production/sound on this. It's always great to ask the question: is that a blast beat on the snare or an oppressively thick and dirty wall of distortion?

edit: This "The Gland" track rules.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 1, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Clit Avoider posted:

Have Annihilator released anything of real merit in the last 25 years? I really think they're a "one and done" band, if even that.

Two and done. Never, Neverland is as good as Alice in Hell.

Fenrir posted:

While I was checking out Caladan Brood I also gave the new Melechesh a listen and :drat:

Why does it have such lovely reviews? I mean, do people really want to hear another Djinn/Sphinx every few years? I don't get it.
Does it? It's their second highest rated album on RYM right now.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Henchman of Santa posted:

Two and done. Never, Neverland is as good as Alice in Hell.

I was being kind, the "if even that" was sort of a giveaway to my personal stance - I wouldn't bother with any of their albums. You're basically listening for Waters' musicianship, and I don't think that's worth the entrance fee at all. The music comes off as weak and kind of pointless given the vast swathe of other options.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Clit Avoider posted:

King of the Kill had its moments but other than that...

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Does it? It's their second highest rated album on RYM right now.

I guess I've been reading too much metal-archives. Granted, I *always* take their review section with a grain of salt but this one in particular has only a 72%. I didn't bother reading them, I guess it's just the usual "tr00 black metal" trolls or whatever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fenrir posted:

I guess I've been reading too much metal-archives. Granted, I *always* take their review section with a grain of salt but this one in particular has only a 72%. I didn't bother reading them, I guess it's just the usual "tr00 black metal" trolls or whatever.

It has a 78, and nothing under 70. That's hardly "lovely reviews" from a userbase that generally only gives 100s and 0s.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Oh drat, maybe I was looking at the wrong thing then. My bad. I thought I saw some worse ones.

Either way it's a drat good record. It might even be my favorite by them to this point.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fenrir posted:

Oh drat, maybe I was looking at the wrong thing then. My bad. I thought I saw some worse ones.

Either way it's a drat good record. It might even be my favorite by them to this point.

They're such a consistent band, I don't know if I could pick a favorite. Probably Emissaries or Sphynx (because I love Proscriptor). I wish more black metal bands would embrace riffiness.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
That's the only weakness of Enki really, it doesn't have Proscriptor and he may be my favorite drummer ever in metal.

e: Also, I have fallen completely in love with Caladan Brood.

e2: Obsequiae is really goddamn good too. I love you, metal thread.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

symbolic posted:

I'd almost go as far as to call myself an Annihilator fan*, but I didn't know Padden was out of the band until they posted that video. Walters is a very entertaining guitarist and his vocals are okay in small doses, but I can't imagine a full album of him in 2015 is going to be worth checking out, especially if this is supposed to be the catchiest thing on there.

*: Almost every album has one or two songs that are fun live tunes, so although I don't think their CDs are any good, they're one of my favorite bands to catch in concert