Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The MSJ posted:

Ultimate Ben has become 616 Rockslide, a mutant who used to resemble grey Thing until he exploded and reformed into a craggy golem thing.

Has he? I haven't taken note of him in Ultimate End but in the Ultimate Doom trilogy he retained all of his Thing power but regained his human form.

Agreed on need Rockslide in the X-Men films though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I was always under the impression that comics Thing wasn't actually rock, but some kind of super-hard calloused rock-like skin.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jamesman posted:

I was always under the impression that comics Thing wasn't actually rock, but some kind of super-hard calloused rock-like skin.

Yeah, there was one instance where Wolverine slashed his face with his adamantium claws and hosed it up pretty good, exposing the raw flesh underneath.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, there was one instance where Wolverine slashed his face with his adamantium claws and hosed it up pretty good, exposing the raw flesh underneath.

He got his rear end whupped by some Mindless Ones during the Mark Waid run, they cracked his shell. Doom later killed him and I think he bled green blood.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
In another comic one of his "rocks" fell off and left a hole at the bottom which was some layer like skin.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah ha ha ha, I just realised what the end fight with DOOOOOM where they defeat him by knocking him into his own giant energy beam weapon reminded me of: the ending of Ben Stiller's superhero parody Mystery Men where he defeated Casanova Frankenstein by knocking him his own giant energy beam weapon. Except immediately after the MM battle they made a public statement about teamwork and appreciating others and supporting independent film and then went home to their loving families who now had a newfound respect for them, in F4 they immediately have a boardroom meeting with the US military and argue about intellectual copyright and facility leases.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Uh, the latter. His body took a little while to grow his new flame safe skin. It's been years since I read it but at first Reed was worried their powers would kill all of them slowly. Johnny's body just took a bit longer to change. Brian Michael Bendis later ran with this and had Ben evolve out of his rocky shell into a being with energy powers.

Nah, in Bendis' run on Ultimate Fantastic Four it worked fine from the get go. Under Ellis he fell ill while the were exploring the negative zone, but it turned out he justed needed to slough of his old skin.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Haha I remember that molting arc. What a silly thing.

I've never heard of the Thing being a being of pure energy, though. I don't even know what to think about that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fantastic Four has 136 negative critic reviews, is it really that bad? I am so disappointed, the teaser and the trailers made it look like this would be really good.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Is flameboy actually in burning pain at the beginning or maybe just freaking out cause he's not used to being on fire?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I believe he wakes up, starts screaming because he's on loving fire while strapped to a table, pretty much explodes and falls unconcious again (and remains on fire). I imagine that process repeated several times before he we was in concious state (of course we'll never know because they quickly skip ahead a year).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 9, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

I said come in! posted:

Fantastic Four has 136 negative critic reviews, is it really that bad? I am so disappointed, the teaser and the trailers made it look like this would be really good.
Haven't seen it yet, but I read that the director himself came out on Twitter and admitted the film did not go the way he wanted. He only has one previous film under his belt but it was a good one, and he had the writers who worked on Days of Future Past, which was also good. I say studio meddling is to blame. It's an upper management issue. Fox has a spotty record with superhero films whereas Marvel Studios produces consistent quality.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 9, 2015

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Got back from Fant4stic earlier today. Wanted it to be great but instead it was merely passable. I appreciated that a lot of the characterization isn't spelled out in thumpingly obvious dialogue, but the story skips around so hard it feels like we're watching clips from a better movie. The acting is mostly really understated and I liked that. The characters aren't cartoons. The scene with Reed and Ben in the plane especially is really well done. Some of the CGI is weirdly atrocious, but Reed's powers look cool and the way they have him fight is very inventive and visually slick. Doom and Ben are both excellently brought to life, and Doom's rampage is awesome. Wish the movie had gone balls out on the horror and darkness honestly, as it is it falls between two stools. Clearly a kludged-together mess of a movie. The way they take out Doom at the end is pretty great but man that was one short finale. The cinematography also veers wildly between very attractive and workmanlike.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

I said come in! posted:

I'm sure a lot of those are, like me, remarking that it's just a flawed film with some good stuff in there too. Unfortunately with RT a rating of two and a half stars is as 'rotten' as half a star which is why going by Rotten score is just dumb.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

I'm sure a lot of those are, like me, remarking that it's just a flawed film with some good stuff in there too. Unfortunately with RT a rating of two and a half stars is as 'rotten' as half a star which is why going by Rotten score is just dumb.

How about a 3.4/10 average critic score from RT, or a C- CinemaScore which is historically low for a comic book movie, even Catwoman got a B.

e: and no, most of the critic reviews are saying it's completely terrible

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Harime Nui posted:

Some of the CGI is weirdly atrocious

Harime Nui posted:

The cinematography also veers wildly between very attractive and workmanlike.

A rather large chunk of the film was hastily thrown together in reshoots after Fox and the director fell out.

Does anyone know if Trank still wanted to use l33t hacker Doom in his version of the film?

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Ferrinus posted:

Jor-El does make dissenting noises, though. His final message to Superman is that Superman is meant to be a bridge between two peoples, and that he can save them - "save all of them" (another line I really should've been harping on, because it's 'all of them', not 'only the humans'). The computer program clearly repudiates Zod's plan to destroy humanity.

What it doesn't repudiate is Zod's explanation - prior to his revealing his intent to destroy humanity - of the codex's purpose, and specifically the purpose for which Jor-El smuggled it. Jor-El's response to Superman's question about this with explicit reference to some change or event to come in the future isn't "incredibly important". It's just... a line of English dialogue, with an interpretable meaning. It seems that you're still electing to just... ignore it, huh? You can't actually tell me what it is Jor-El intended with the codex? Exactly as you admitted several posts ago when you told me that any theory you could offer would necessarily be speculative?

Because that's my point. I discuss Jor-El's actual attitude towards the genesis chamber and his differences with Zod later. My point in this, first, part of the post is that you're forced to wave your hands and shrug at several lines of straightforward dialogue because, given your incorrect reading of a character's motivations, you're incapable of actually parsing his behavior.

Jor-El is a different character from Zod, and his moral values won't allow him to bring back Kryptonians at cost to humans. He's not going to tell his son to protect an ancient spaceship when Lois Lane is in immediate danger, and in the wake of the meeting with Zod pretty much any indication that Kal-El should be worrying about a bunch of unborn Kryptonians rather than about earthlings would come off as (and, frankly, be) kind of sinister. Also, I have bolded a false statement in your post; Jor-El gives Kal-El the codex, sends Kal-El to a planet with a genesis chamber on it, and contrives to leave a copy of his avatar program in the spaceship playing host to that genesis chamber that has an existence independent of that USB stick thing.
You make a good point about the dissenting noises. I saw that as Jor-El switching topic to his real plan (Kal leading/saving the humans) and taking Kal's attention away from the prospect of bringing Krypton back, but I can't argue against instead seeing it as connected to, and thus a partial refutation of, Zod's speech. But it still doesn't work the way you seem think it does. Zod wants Krypton proper to live again, Jor-El doesn't. He wants their race to live on through Kal specifically. Their differences are made clear later when Jor-El, standing before the recently activated Genesis chamber, tells Zod: "We're both ghosts, Zod. Can't you see that? The Krypton you're clinging on to is gone!".

"You can save all of them" is actually incredibly important to Jor-El. It connects with everything we know about his real plan; that Kal will be a god to the humans, that he will be a symbol of hope, that he will lead them and keep them from repeating Krypton's mistakes. I have I told you my version of the basic elements of Jor-El's plan many times by now. His most important reason for putting the codex in Kal was so that Krypton would live again in andd through him. The issue here is what, if anything, Jor-El was planning on telling Kal. As I have said, this includes some speculation. My theory is that Jor-El either wasn't planning on telling Kal anything, until Zod ruined it, or that he was only going to tell Kal about the Codex once he was reasonably sure that Kal would make the "right" decision, that is to say, his own. Again, this is just speculation. But I think it's supported by Jor-El's words and actions, and omissions. The fact that he never even tells Kal about the Codex, even when his plan comes under threat, is only the most obvious.

It doesn't have to be a choice between humans and Kryptonians, it only comes to that when Jor-El neglects to take any measures at all to protect the Scout ship which is, according to you, absolutely essential to his big plan. Whether or not Kal would have been able, after saving Lois, to keep the Scout ship safe from Zod or not is far less interesting than the fact that Jor-El never even told him to try, or, again, to at least do everything in his power to make sure that it wasn't destroyed. Once again, the fact that Jor-El never mentions it, either directly to Kal or to Lois when he tells her how to destroy Zod's ship (assuming that she didn't just decide to keep that to herself), suggests that it is no longer important to his plans now that he has given Kal his instructions and the suit. Jor-El does not give Kal the codex, he makes Kal the codex. His command key does not activate the genesis chamber, unlike Zod's. He never gives him the choice of using it to bring back the Kryptonians through the Genesis chamber, for the very simple and obvious reason that he doesn't want him to.

quote:

I'm quoting this separately because I want to emphasize that it does not indicate that Zod's command ship was a former interstellar starship. That is a thing you made up whole cloth without even bothering to check for evidence or even basic plausibility (the age of interstellar expansion predated Jor-El by centuries).

Stop making things up. I am observant enough to notice when you do so. If you have to make things up to support your position, your position is wrong.
The evidence available makes it seem far more likely that it was an interstellar starship than that it wasn't. The latter simply requires too many coincidences. First, that they designed a ship that, with some modifications, was capable of interstellar travel, just to serve as a prison; second, that such a ship was designed by Jor-El, the great enthusiast of interstellar colonialism; third, that such a ship just so happened to be perfectly suited to carrying a world engine and; fourth that this ship just so happened to have the functionality required to be used with a world engine for terraforming. There is a difference between making stuff up and drawing conclusions based on available evidence. It is, of course, possible that Jor-El was lying, about himself, the fact that he designed the spaceship or when and why the colonial age ended. These are all interesting possibilities.

quote:

I've bolded your lastmost sentence here because I don't think you can prove it. Jor-El specifies that society expects Kryptonian babies to grow up to be one thing or another. Jor-El never makes reference to any concrete mental or physical difference between Kal-El and other Kryptonians arising from Kal-El's physiology. Jor-El is never seen to be limited by his own artisanally-crafted genetic code, and more importantly he is never seen to think that he is limited - where Zod makes repeated reference to his inborn purpose, Jor-El never appears to believe that his designation as a scientist directly limits his capabilities, and neither does he appear to enter some kind of dissociative episode in the course of diving into the active genesis chamber or brawling with Zod.

Remember, it's not genesis chambers that precipitated Krypton's downfall - there were genesis chambers on Krypton's interstellar colony ships, back in what Jor-El thought of as a golden age! It was population control. Population control means limits on childbirth. Secretly loving might well have been the only way to have a child at all, period, or at least to get a child without first undergoing a ten year waiting period and then being delivered a toddler who's already undergone heavy indoctrination, or whatever. Maybe he and his wife had just been turned down, period. Sorry, the gov't decrees that no new children will be born for the next five years, owing to extenuating factors.

To forestall a really tiring response, I'm compelled to remind you here that these are possible explanations for why Jor-El might have elected for a natural birth (others include "he was egotistical enough to want it to be his own actual son that he saved," "it was a purely symbolic gesture," "the codex was somehow incompatible with a designer baby," "the baby was a complete accident being that Jor-El and his wife were the only two Kryptonians who could even stomach having sex," etc) which should get it through to you that some kind of imaginary genetic advantage is not the only possible explanation for Jor-El's manual, old-fashioned approach to child production.
"[Jor-El show Clark a model of the Genesis Chamber]
Jor-El: This is a Genesis Chamber. All Kryptonians were conceived in chambers such as this. Every child was designed to fulfill a predetermined role in our society; as a worker, a warrior, a leader and so on. Your mother and I believed Krypton lost something precious, the element of choice, of chance. What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended for him or her? What if a child aspired to something greater? You were the embodiment of that belief, Kal, Krypton's first natural birth in centuries. That's why we risked so much to save you."

Jor-El is specific and explicit when it comes to the link between natural birth and freedom of choice. The role of the Genesis chamber is perfectly clear, and you have to pretend that there is a clean break between "....such as this." and "Every child...". In order for your reading to work. The fact that Jor-El was Krypton's ultimate man of action, when he was supposed to be its foremost scientist, is interesting in itself. Zod supposedly spent his entire life training to be a warrior, but Jor-El easily defeats him and his chosen soldiers. This does not make sense even if we ignore genetic engineering. A person who dedicates his entire life to becoming a skilled warrior should be able to easily defeat one who spends his entire working as a scientist. As so very often, Jor-El is more than meets the eye. The point of the Genesis chamber, however, is that it creates Kryptonians for set purposes of serving Kryptonian society in various capacitites. Your reading of MoS, where Jor-El wanted to transplant Krypton onto Earth by using the Genesis chamber, leads to the conclusion that Jor-El just found a creative and extremely elaborate way of serving his alloted function. It would then follow that Kal did reject Jor-El's plan by destroying the Scout ship. The problem is that this would mean that Jor-El was completely right about the Genesis chamber, and that natural birth was the decisive factor which allowed Kal to destroy the last vestige of old Krypton.

It was, according to Jor-El's story. Population control, enacted through the genesis chamber, caused Krypton to turn away from coloniasim. Again, if this story doesn't make sense then we should question whether Jor-El is telling the truth or not. As with the effect of Genesis chamber on free choice and the corresponding importance of natural birth, Jor-El's beliefs is the important part. And your alternative explanations are unfounded speculation far worse than anything I'm guilty of. They are completely unnecessary since we have Jor-El's clear own words to go by. The only reason you need them is because those words happen to contradict your reading. Which is a problem.

quote:

Same way Kryptonian-Human coexistence already works when there's a single Kryptonian? Superman is living proof that Kryptonians, properly raised, can survive and thrive on earth and add to, not subtract from, human flourishing.

You know what the difference is. As above, consider this a rolled-up newspaper to the nose. Stop throwing up all this chaff!
That's your problem, right there. Jor-El knew nothing about how Kal would be raised. The only reason Jor-El had for believing that Kal would grow up virtuous was his natural birth. Which is, to repeat once more, interesting in itself. So let's say Kal cranks out a bunch of Kryptonians. How is that supposed to work? How many of them does there need to be for it to "count" according to Jor-El's plan? And who is supposed to raise them? Jor-El was incredibly lucky (in one sense, in another not so much) when Kal ended up with the Kents. Is Kal supposed to raise the new Kryptonians himself or is he supposed to find human foster parents for them? But these are mere quibbles. The real problem is what happens when so many of the new Kryptonians disagree with Kal that he can't stop them. Remember that what you're proposing is in effect a "master race" living in perfect harmony with a people infinitely weaker than themselves. This wouldn't be the case if it was just Kal, or if the new Kryptonians were Kal's own naturally born children, raised by him personally. But as soon as you fire up the Genesis chamber you risk producing a Zod or far worse. Out will come children designed to serve a society that no longer exists. What if some of them resent the fact that they have to share with the humans? What if they are angry about what happened to their kin? What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what human-kryptonian society had intended for them? What if a child dreamed of becoming the joint reincarnation of Tamerlane and Oskar Dirlewanger, but with superpowers? A very small number of rebellious neo-Kryptonians could do incredible damage, and Kal might not be able to stop them. Your version of Jor-El's plan requires that the new Kryptonians blindly obey Kal and, through him, Jor-El's original vision. Free choice goes out the window because it would be extremely dangerous to the humans. To say that this is what the 100 % good guy version of Jor-El wanted seems absurd to me.

I do indeed. You use this imagined/invented difference to ignore the words and actions of the character whenever it doesn't fit your reading. And I will do no such thing!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If I remember correctly Thing wore a mask after that, because his face was disfigured. I really liked that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think that Guardians of the Galaxy is the best Fantastic Four movie we're ever going to see. That or Incredibles.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Jor-el made up his whole natural birth philosophy cause he didn't like condoms.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

If I remember correctly Thing wore a mask after that, because his face was disfigured. I really liked that.

Ohhhh, I actually remember this! When I was younger, we used to go to the comic shop, and the guys that ran it made custom figures. They made one of Thing with a mask on.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

no nerd has ever said "I don't care what you call it! I just want to see characters personifying the balance of the four elements who explore New-Age spirituality while battling against Progressivism and the Enlightenment!"

It's because nerds have actually read the comics and realize that interpretation has almost nothing to do with them from a practical, storytelling perspective.

Want to impress me? Make a Fantastic Four movie that actually incorporates that, but still looks and acts consistent with the source material. I think calling a lovely adaptation artistry is just covering up for laziness. It's the same as claiming something is unfilmable, when it's just that the person saying that doesn't have the vision to create that specific film.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 9, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You're right, nerds love to cite the legendary Lee/Kirby run without having read any of it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Surlaw posted:

I'd be good with a Mole Man "solo film." Do the story where he marries Aunt May.

Is it possible for us to still get that Aunt May solo movie? It needs a small re-write to instead be about an octogenarian marrying a mole person, but I think the concept is there.

Get the Grace & Frankie writers or something, I don't know.

edit: Or hell, have this be the B plot in a main-run spiderman movie. Build up the moleman plot as being the secondary villain, then at the end just have them get happily married without a fight of any kind.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 9, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Lilly Tomlin would be spectacular as Aunt May.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

Now we're talking.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harime Nui posted:

You should take it with some grain of salt, yes, but 136 negative reviews isn't just some inconsistency in RT's average rating system.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Only if we get Steve Martin as Doc Oc or the Vulture, opening the way for Superior Aunt May: All of Me Too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

DFu4ever posted:

It's because nerds have actually read the comics and realize that interpretation has almost nothing to do with them from a practical, storytelling perspective.

Want to impress me? Make a Fantastic Four movie that actually incorporates that, but still looks and acts consistent with the source material. I think calling a lovely adaptation artistry is just covering up for laziness. It's the same as claiming something is unfilmable, when it's just that the person saying that doesn't have the vision to create that specific film.
Well, gently caress The Shining i guess. Did you see the "accurate" version with the dude from Wings??

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Fantastic 4 was just okay. Had some good bits, had some bad bits. It certainly isn't Cinema-Hitler or anything. Some of the effects were pretty nice. That boss guy chewing all the time, even in his radiation suit thing really annoyed me for some reason though. I was hoping Doom would just pop up and fry him asap, and he did. Doom was fine, I'd heard horror stories about how they hosed him up but he was no worse than the previous times I've seen him on the big screen. Well, after he got off Assassin's Creed and cleaned himself up a bit and then got turned into metal. It'd be nice to see him all done up like he is apparently in the comics, with being a dictator of some Marvel country and having all his doombots and timetravel and demons and stuff some day though.

The fight was really short, I was expecting Doom to come back out all jazzed up but then he was just gone. The triumphant music when they got back made me laugh, what with everything blown to poo poo. Oh, and them basically blackmailing/threatening the government into giving them a big gently caress-off facility was funny. Oh, and Reed suddenly switching from "I'll make you all better" to "gently caress it, powers are cool". I mean, that seems to be a Fantastic 4 origin story thing, but it felt way more abrupt here. It does really feel like great chunks of stuff ended up on the cutting room floor.

Oh, and where the gently caress was Stan Lee? For gently caress's sake. Maybe he was in there and I missed him, but if that's the case, they hosed it up.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Mierenneuker posted:

I believe he wakes up, starts screaming because he's on loving fire while strapped to a table, pretty much explodes and falls unconcious again (and remains on fire). I imagine that process repeated several times before he we was in concious state (of course we'll never know because they quickly skip ahead a year).

Yeah, a man waking up on fire is going to be terrified whether it "hurts" or not. That was good, and I thought we'd see more of that as they learned how to get used to their new bodies. I thought Reed in the air ducts was really great, gross stuff too. Instead we get ONE YEAR LATER and a couple cool looking scenes stuck in a montage on a monitor.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Why wasn't Stan Lee in the Fantastic Four movie, he's been in like almost all of the Marvel movies, maybe excepting Blade which isn't something he created.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Why wasn't Stan Lee in the Fantastic Four movie, he's been in like almost all of the Marvel movies, maybe excepting Blade which isn't something he created.

It's not hard to guess why.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

It's not hard to guess why.

His part was cut as he was one of the oodleplexes of people Thing killed in some montages?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DFu4ever posted:

Make a Fantastic Four movie that actually incorporates that, but still looks and acts consistent with the source material.

Why is it okay when comic writers deviate from the source material and not when anyone else does it? Superman, as he exists in this day and age, has almost nothing to do with the original source material.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DFu4ever posted:

You haven't read the comics.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You're right, nerds love to cite the legendary Lee/Kirby run without having read any of it.

I own the entire run in Essentials form. Like I said it's a game of two halves. The first half is Stan Lee's edict that the characters would get in conflicts with each other and argue and have drama, as opposed to DC's more purely schematic "here is the problem, let's solve it" approach. The second is the sense of exploration and facing the unknown, as expressed through Kirby's increasingly stylized and elaborate art. The first several issues of the comic are a bit crude looking, not badly illustrated but very basic (and the same is true of the really early Silver Age Marvel stuff in general- scratchy lines and crude backgrounds, where DC had a more polished aesthetic already.) You start to see things develop like the Thing becoming more detailed and geometric, aliens and monsters getting more elaborate, at some point Kirby discovers photocollage and uses it to great effect, etc. There's increasingly more razzle-dazzle as they start to bring in beings and ideas like Galactus, the Silver Surfer and the Power Cosmic, the Watcher, the Inhumans, the Negative Zone and Annihilus (who appears in a story that's also about Sue having Reed's child, so the conflict becomes one of birth against death.)

It helps that this was the one comic that Lee and Kirby were on right up until Kirby quit Marvel altogether, which is why it was so central to that era of Marvel's comics, even if eventually the X-Men and Avengers and Spidey became more popular. This may also be the reason it's been harder for subsequent teams to really capture the magic (though there have been well-regarded runs of it.)

I think with Doom, one of the key "Original" elements of him, in addition to being a death figure, is that he is a wizard. He's the evil sorcerer in a fairy tale, but also has the magic of 60s Superscience to confound people with. He has a house of traps and terrors, and his first story is bugfuck insane- he captures the FF and holds Sue hostage so that he can send the others back in time to bring him Blackbeard's Treasure, which contains the jewels of Merlin, and he's defeated by being caught in a shrinking ray and being shrunk to subatomic size.

Just for fun, everyone have this radio adaptation of the original "Fantastic Four meet Dr. Doom" story with Bill Murray as the Human Torch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZcjR4Z_-wI

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

I said come in! posted:

From what I've heard, almost everything shown in the trailers has been cut.

Cythereal posted:

I think that Guardians of the Galaxy is the best Fantastic Four movie we're ever going to see.

This is the most depressing thing I've ever read.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

I said come in! posted:

From what I understand, everything in the trailers was cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
All filmed footage was cut, the final film is just the Twentieth Century Fox logo and the credits with a mid-credits X-Men v Fant4stic stinger.

• Locked thread