Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

acumen posted:

You're also basically supposed to re-read the full main series as well to get a clearer grasp on what's going on. The first read-through you're sorta just along for the ride.
Yeah, I'm definitely planning on getting the actual books for a reread at some point. Right now I'm content just breezing through the thing at work.

uh zip zoom posted:

How people manage to read this series and comprehend it without Internet access and full wiki support at their fingertips is completely beyond me.
Just started getting to the Capustan side in Memories of Ice and I finally have some grasp on the magic system and stuff like the Azath houses and the deck of dragons and such. I had to consult the wiki a bunch of times during the first two books but only looked at some Genebackis maps for this one so far.

also HOLY poo poo A BUNCH OF RAPTORS WITH SWORD LEGS JUST SHOWED UP I loving LOVE THIS SERIES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Illinois Smith posted:

also HOLY poo poo A BUNCH OF RAPTORS WITH SWORD LEGS JUST SHOWED UP I loving LOVE THIS SERIES

Sword arms, actually. They are, however, not particularly philosophical.

Edit: also, who was the Edur "preda" that slaughtered the entire anibar Village? And, was that feather witch with them?

Edit2: never mind, that was hanradi khalag

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 12, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Velocirapiers.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Illinois Smith posted:

Just started getting to the Capustan side in Memories of Ice and I finally have some grasp on the magic system and stuff like the Azath houses and the deck of dragons and such. I had to consult the wiki a bunch of times during the first two books but only looked at some Genebackis maps for this one so far.

Yeah by MoI you start feeling sorta comfortable with magic, warrens, etc. I had similar feelings at that point and although a lot of people would say you don't know anything yet, looking back you get a pretty solid chunk of plot exposition at the start there.

Those raptors (and a whole bunch of other things, really) if explained out of context to someone who hasn't read the books would seem pretty silly but Erikson manages to pull it off so well. The final battle in the series is even almost fanboyish pandering but holy poo poo is it great.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Seeing as how there is magic that lets you walk through walls or fly its surprising its never really brought up except that one time quick ben attacks the necromancers. although i guess loving up the magic maybe makes people cautious

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Ben is a certified bad rear end and can probably do poo poo other people wouldn't even think about... like a millenia old soul shifting spell to create a puppet spy for instance? Or wall hack.

Kreega Bondola
May 28, 2008
TCG: hahahaha, Setoc just exploded into loving wolves, this poo poo is getting ridiculous and amazing. Ilu Erikson

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Boo, they changed the narrator between book 3 and 4 and the new guy seems way worse. Appearantly he does the rest of the series too? That sucks.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Does the new reader improve at all? I really liked Ralph Lister but such is life.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Man, I don't know how people can do audio books. I have kind of a tone in my head for everyone's voice as I read, and it would take a huge cast of readers to fill that. Especially when a male voice is reading out what a woman is speaking. That would just hurt my brain.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Fenrir posted:

Man, I don't know how people can do audio books. I have kind of a tone in my head for everyone's voice as I read, and it would take a huge cast of readers to fill that. Especially when a male voice is reading out what a woman is speaking. That would just hurt my brain.
Lister (the guy who does the first three books) actually has great variety with voices for different characters and does a nice job. With the new guy everyone's voice sounds mostly the same and he also pronounces the same stuff differently sometimes, although I'm still in the first book of HoC and there aren't a ton of different characters apart from Karsa and Torvald. I'll really miss Lister's version of Kruppe.

Also, Karsa owns.

Felt really proud of myself when I figured out that the ship whose crew Karsa slaughters was the Silanda and therefore the Teblor gods who show up after they leave must be the renegade kin those other Imass from Deadhouse Gates were hunting.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Which book (and approx how far through, if known) is the naval battle in which Bottle scares the poo poo out of Quick Ben by doing his old-school stuff?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Bonehunters. Like halfway through

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Groovy. Thanks.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I want a Trull & Onrack buddy movie. Just 90 minutes of them strolling through weird environments, attacking anything they meet and throwing grenades at random portals.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

mirthdefect posted:

Which book (and approx how far through, if known) is the naval battle in which Bottle scares the poo poo out of Quick Ben by doing his old-school stuff?

It's not really bottle though it's the eres'al channeling power through him so hardthat he comes in his pants

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
^ yup :laugh:

It's in The Bonehunters, I wanna say like 2/3rds of the way in but I could be off there.

e: somehow missed the post where that was answered.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

I want a Trull & Onrack buddy movie. Just 90 minutes of them strolling through weird environments, attacking anything they meet and throwing grenades at random portals.
Would also settle for a sitcom about the Pusts' home life.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 19, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

Would also settle for a sitcom about the Pusts' home life.

Married...With Bokharala

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm stunned at how much I'd forgotten of book 9 while I was rereading it. I think I remembered one major plot (the ribby snake) and not even all of that.

Certainly didn't remember whiskeyjack asking fourteen jaghut, of the last jaghut army who were lead by and betrayed by hood, to go back and gently caress up some short tails, or the bonehunters being in the wrong place/wrong time and getting rolled hard by the short tails, or stormy and gesler being abducted to lead the long tail army, or loving Icarium riding to battle in a giant flying rock shaped like a dragon, blasting short tail skykeeps out of the air like they ain't poo poo.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, people seem to give DoD a lot of poo poo on account of being the first half of TCG but I honestly feel its climax is more than sufficiently explosive on its own.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

It wasn't just the climax, there was loads of good lore and interesting character interactions throughout the book. Someone mentioned a DoD plot point the Barghast hobbling Hetan, so that wasn't as surprising as it should've been, but Olar Ethil raising Tool as T'lan Imass again, as well as claiming to be an Elder God, was pretty surprising. I'm not sure if I believe Olar's claim to god hood, but Draconus seemed to back it up, and she did have the power to compel Toc against his will to turn Tool back, which lead to Tool gathering up the T'lan Imass lying around (and uncovering that there were Imass who didn't join the first ritual but later did a 2nd ritual) and doing an Aren on the Barghast. Which in turn has me wondering who or what caused the Logros T'lan Imass to slaughter Aren after the revolt there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
FoD spoiler: Olar Ethil is mostly full of poo poo.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Not even an FoD spoiler, really, but yeah. All of the claims she makes would be extraordinarily problematic if true.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, FoD effectively disproves what's probably her most outrageous claim: that she's Burn. But yeah, it's just to be safe. Olar Ethil has an... active imagination.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hood just bit half of Equity's head off. Hood rules.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

zeal posted:

Hood rules.

It was ever thus.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Roughly 18 months after I started Gardens of the Moon I have finally finished it. Onwards to book 2!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I really wasn't looking forward to Midnight Tides after looking over the character list and not recognizing a single name but apart from the palace intrigue stuff it might be my favorite book so far. Shifting the view to Letheras is a nice change after three books with a shitload of war plots and ascendant schemes. Love all the details of a purely money-driven society in this world, like their hosed-up justice system. The zombies with vagina transplants are an unexpected bonus.

The Edur side owns as well, it's great to see the Crippled God's manipulations this closely for once.

My favorite part are all the scenes with Tehol & Bugg, they feel like they've wandered over from a Discworld book.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 22, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The best is saved for when they meet the Malazans.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

I mentioned this before - those two are absolutely hilarious and one day I hope Erikson makes some book about them as a side story, like he did with Bauchelain and KB.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Also I've gotten used to the new audiobook guy and he's not as bad as it first seemed, although I still miss the guy from books 1-3. His timing and delivery with the Tehol & Bugg stuff is good and it seems like between HoC and Midnight Tides he actually went back to listen to the recordings of the earlier books, since I noticed he's suddenly pronouncing stuff like soletaken the way his predecessor did.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spax of the Gilk is great.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I'm rereading and up the Memories of Ice. Crazy to think how far the Barghast plot threads carry.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

zeal posted:

Spax of the Gilk is great.

He is pretty great. In TGC, where he admits he and few tribesmen put on a ritual of jumping over a fire under the moon, just to gently caress with civilized scholars who'll be debating the meaning of it forever.

e: also I can't believe how dumb I am. It only clicked in the last couple of books, when it was pretty much explicitly stated, that the Malazan heavies put on an act of being incredibly dumb to gently caress with everyone else.

2nd e: in hindsight added spoiler tags just in case there's a first time reader wondering about him.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 26, 2015

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Tommofork posted:

e: also I can't believe how dumb I am. It only clicked in the last couple of books, when it was pretty much explicitly stated, that the Malazan heavies put on an act of being incredibly dumb to gently caress with everyone else.

2nd e: in hindsight added spoiler tags just in case there's a first time reader wondering about him.

The Malazan heavies are hilarious. Although the sappers are still my favorite. Especially in DG.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

The Malazan heavies are hilarious. Although the sappers are still my favorite. Especially in DG.
I love the scene where Coltaine accidentally demotes the sappers' captain. It's really up between Malazan sappers and Mott Irregulars for the coolest military unit.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

anilEhilated posted:

I love the scene where Coltaine accidentally demotes the sappers' captain. It's really up between Malazan sappers and Mott Irregulars for the coolest military unit.

That's still one of my favorite scenes in the series. Especially since you can just picture Duiker and that other captain (gently caress, what was his name) desperately trying not to laugh.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Fenrir posted:

That's still one of my favorite scenes in the series. Especially since you can just picture Duiker and that other captain (gently caress, what was his name) desperately trying not to laugh.

Bult?

Fake edit: Just looked it up, yeah it's Bult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
That scene is hilarious.