Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
If I got a cockatiel and a lovebird, I'd have to keep them in separate cages, right? I haven't had multiple species of birds at any one point before but I know with non-bird reptiles you're meant to 100% never let them live in the same cage.

Also, would a lovebird and a cockatiel produce horrifying mutant babies if they turn out to be of opposite sexes? :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
They probably wouldn't be able to breed like lions and tigers cant, and yeah bigger bird + smaller bird has a high chance of ending badly. Even same sized birds of different species. Birds are pretty racist.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 27, 2015

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Parrotlet + umbrella cockatoo

Please film the results

I'm picturing the parrotlet going full velociraptor and tormenting the cockatoo.

GoldStandardConure fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 27, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

GoldStandardConure posted:

Please film the results

Well, if I recall correctly their wild diet can include small frogs and lizards, sooooo...

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

i have cheese

taco has seen the cheese

taco will not stop spinning

my poor crazy bird

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

my poor crazy bird

That was a good snap. Bitey was terrified of slices of cheese and would go into puffed-up full-on Attack Mode if he saw them. (Chewed up cheese was obviously okay and delicious.)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

They probably wouldn't be able to breed like lions and tigers cant, and yeah bigger bird + smaller bird has a high chance of ending badly. Even same sized birds of different species. Birds are pretty racist.

A male lion and a female tiger produce a liger, a male tiger and female lion will produce a tigon.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Galah x Corella hybrid

I see these in wild all the time, as the corellas and galahs like to hang out together

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Frogmanv2 posted:

A male lion and a female tiger produce a liger, a male tiger and female lion will produce a tigon.

I'm wrong then. A cat and a dog then

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Galah x Corella hybrid

I see these in wild all the time, as the corellas and galahs like to hang out together

I've seen them a couple of times, they're very cute. I think someone also posted a galockatiel earlier too. (Galackatiel? Cockalah????)

Lovebird/cockatiel hybrids would not have as exciting a mutant name. They would be lovetiels, or the much more sensible cockbird :dong:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Lovebird/cockatiel hybrids would not have as exciting a mutant name.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

They would be cockbirds.

Contradictory statements much? :colbert:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Please film the results

I'm picturing the parrotlet going full velociraptor and tormenting the cockatoo.
If I remember right, this is really what happens when people put together a large parrot with a small one that has a lot of attitude like a lovebird or parrotlet -- they can be little assholes and then when the large parrot responds, it goes badly.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone convince me not to buy this lovely pale-headed rosella (my favourite wild Australian parrot) until I am feeling more emotionally stable.

Amaterasu
Aug 7, 2007
Godless Heathen
Cockatiel + lovebird = a cockatiel missing a few toes

I did have a particularly sweet, hand fed lovebird that was best friends with my Nanday Conure, who was also very sweet and got along with everything. But normally lovebirds are little assholes.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I'm wrong then. A cat and a dog then

That's how foxes are made obviously

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Amaterasu posted:

Cockatiel + lovebird = a cockatiel missing a few toes
THAT'S the combination I've heard about, yeah. I knew it was lovebird and something.

(Every lovebird I've ever met has been an rear end in a top hat, above and beyond normal parrot rear end in a top hat-itude)

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Everyone convince me not to buy this lovely pale-headed rosella (my favourite wild Australian parrot) until I am feeling more emotionally stable.

Think of it like a relationship. You just lost a boy/girlfriend and you're feeling the ache so you are looking for a rebound. Have you ever heard of a rebound relationship that worked out well? Because I haven't.

If that doesn't convince you, at least do some research and talk to the owner (without visiting the bird) first. If and only if you feel absolutely ready to handle another critter in your house and you are equipped to satisfy their requirements, then you should proceed to get the bird. I would advise against it at this point. It's not the only rosella in the world.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I assume they're assholes because they're mad that they're super-tiny dinosaurs with the same plumage as Easter eggs and not a majestic eagle.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tendai posted:

If I remember right, this is really what happens when people put together a large parrot with a small one that has a lot of attitude like a lovebird or parrotlet -- they can be little assholes and then when the large parrot responds, it goes badly.

I know a dude who worked at an aviary/rescue/reptile park. The boss went out and spent $3000+ on a new cockatoo (I think it was a goffins but I'm not sure) and after making sure it was fine, released it into the general population aviary. This was a drat big enclosure, more than 20m square.

Took a week for a pair of rainbow lorikeets to harass it to death.

Boss was not happy.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I mean Rainbow Lorikeets are really cunty but like a cockatoo could decapitate one in 1 bite, those are some scary lorikeets :stare:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Been away for a few days (hey Pookie, good to see you're doing just fine), just back and have to let you know we found the wild ringnecks in London in Hyde Park, went back today and found them again, and spent a good hour calling them out of the trees and hand feeding them :3:

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 27, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Been away for a few days (hey Pookie, good to see you're doing just fine), just back and have to let you know we found the wild ringnecks in London in Hyde Park, went back today and found them again, and spent a good hour calling them out of the trees and hand feeding them :3:

drat. I was visiting London a week ago. I should have known that :(

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Jeez I have never seen wild parrots in person :saddowns: Even when I was in the Bay area I didn't get a chance to go find the Telegraph Hill parrots.

I'm working on convincing my ma that for her 70th we need to go down to Tambopata to the macaw clay lick.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

In San Francisco, mark bittner, the guy from "wild parrots of telegraph hill" went to city hall and had them outlaw feeding the parrots on public property, so now the birds only fly to his yard and a few other places with big trees that they were going to before

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Wild budgies live all over the county where I am in Florida. They're not even a remarkable sight anymore, just little green birds that always travel in big flocks.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

That's actually cool regardless to someone like me where all I get to see are seagulls, finches, and Canadian geese. I did hear one cool story from a coworker, who is not prone to exaggeration but I don't know if this would even make sense. So apparently his neighbor has been feeding crows who frequent her back yard, what exactly I don't know, but they've started bringing shiny things when they come, mostly nails, candy wrappers, small coins, and the occasional piece of crappy fake jewelry.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

anotherblownsave posted:

That's actually cool regardless to someone like me where all I get to see are seagulls, finches, and Canadian geese. I did hear one cool story from a coworker, who is not prone to exaggeration but I don't know if this would even make sense. So apparently his neighbor has been feeding crows who frequent her back yard, what exactly I don't know, but they've started bringing shiny things when they come, mostly nails, candy wrappers, small coins, and the occasional piece of crappy fake jewelry.

Your coworker probably read (or is) the article about the little girl that gets treats from crows.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
For those of you who live in Seattle, a flock of parrots (mostly red-capped conures I believe) lives in Seward Park and the neighborhood around it.

I found them easily on a visit to Seward Park, I just listened for child-like screaming and followed the sounds.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Your coworker probably read (or is) the article about the little girl that gets treats from crows.
also in Seattle, actually

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
We've got breeding populations of Quaker Parrots in NYC. I've been to the colony at Greenwood Cemetery a couple of times. They built their nests into the main gate and it's pretty.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's awesome, and I just watched a video of crows solving problems, including putting weights in water to raise the level to get floating food

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

anotherblownsave posted:

That's awesome, and I just watched a video of crows solving problems, including putting weights in water to raise the level to get floating food

Corvids are scarily smart. Like octopi, but flying octopi..

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I get five days of Connie exclusivity! Here's hoping by day five I'm not ready to integrate her into my barbecue experiments.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Frogmanv2 posted:

I know a dude who worked at an aviary/rescue/reptile park. The boss went out and spent $3000+ on a new cockatoo (I think it was a goffins but I'm not sure) and after making sure it was fine, released it into the general population aviary. This was a drat big enclosure, more than 20m square.

Took a week for a pair of rainbow lorikeets to harass it to death.

Boss was not happy.

Is that the park thats out by Walpole/Denmark? That place is great.

Except for the foot biting rear end in a top hat corella that lives there.

Also yeah rainbow lorikeets are insanely aggressive and are driving out cockatoos 5 times their size from their nests here in WA, putting a lot of pressure on the already endangered Carnbys Cockatoo, and also the much tinier purple crowned lorri.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

If I got a cockatiel and a lovebird, I'd have to keep them in separate cages, right? I haven't had multiple species of birds at any one point before but I know with non-bird reptiles you're meant to 100% never let them live in the same cage.

Also, would a lovebird and a cockatiel produce horrifying mutant babies if they turn out to be of opposite sexes? :stonk:

I had a 'tiel and lovie but they weren't caged together. Like others said, I could see there being an toe amputation. They were allowed out to play together, and on a few occasions the lovebirds were stuffed into the cockatiel cage with Q, but never the other way around. Q would just sit and whistle all happy but Ra and Boo were both too possessive of their cage to have him put into their cage for even a few minutes.

Lovebirds have a serious toe fetish, and want to bite toes as much as possible for some reason.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The little pet store near me has a baby green cheek they named Avocado, and when I visited him today I noticed one of the employees had made him a little cardboard ship to hide in and chew on. On its side it said S.S. Guacamole. :3:

All of their green cheeks are spoiled rotten and are super sweet and friendly but Avocado is especially adorable, adorable enough that he makes me want to get a second bird.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The little pet store near me has a baby green cheek they named Avocado, and when I visited him today I noticed one of the employees had made him a little cardboard ship to hide in and chew on. On its side it said S.S. Guacamole. :3:

All of their green cheeks are spoiled rotten and are super sweet and friendly but Avocado is especially adorable, adorable enough that he makes me want to get a second bird.

My girlfriend suggested once that we should get a green cheek conure as a friend for Taco, and to call it Guacamole.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Of course with the no pictures :colbert:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Sekkira posted:

Of course with the no pictures :colbert:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Chaosfeather posted:

Think of it like a relationship. You just lost a boy/girlfriend and you're feeling the ache so you are looking for a rebound. Have you ever heard of a rebound relationship that worked out well? Because I haven't.

If that doesn't convince you, at least do some research and talk to the owner (without visiting the bird) first. If and only if you feel absolutely ready to handle another critter in your house and you are equipped to satisfy their requirements, then you should proceed to get the bird. I would advise against it at this point. It's not the only rosella in the world.

Yeah, at this stage I'm definitely going to avoid getting any birbs until at least a month has passed. And the breeder has little baby lovebirds that will be ready to go in six weeks or so which she's letting me have first pick of, so it's not like if I don't get a bird RIGHT NOW I will never have a chance at another lovely bird ever again.

I'm visiting my relatives again today, I will be patting all of their cats and their dog a whole bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Whoa, cockatoos can gently caress with gravity :eyepop: They are very talented dinosaurs.