Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Whoa, cockatoos can gently caress with gravity :eyepop: They are very talented dinosaurs.
Yeah my initial glance told me "that is a cockatoo clinging to the side of a doorway"

I love Dreggon's bird friends/nemesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Kenshin posted:

For those of you who live in Seattle, a flock of parrots (mostly red-capped conures I believe) lives in Seward Park and the neighborhood around it.

I found them easily on a visit to Seward Park, I just listened for child-like screaming and followed the sounds.

also in Seattle, actually

I know where I'm going tomorrow.

Although I feed my local crows they haven't left me anything but big feathers.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Whoa, cockatoos can gently caress with gravity :eyepop: They are very talented dinosaurs.

no pictures but i have watched them hang from the tv antennas on both next door houses (they bent and eventually snapped off one of the wires) from both their beaks and their feet (upside down)

they have also climbed up the flyscreen up to my head height

one of them was being swooped by two resident magpies and did a loop de loop on the antenna to avoid them

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dreggon posted:

no pictures but i have watched them hang from the tv antennas on both next door houses (they bent and eventually snapped off one of the wires) from both their beaks and their feet (upside down)

they have also climbed up the flyscreen up to my head height

one of them was being swooped by two resident magpies and did a loop de loop on the antenna to avoid them

Yeah, cockies are great fun to watch playing on things :3:

Back Home we have "happy jacks" which are on Wikipedia as apostlebirds. They're in the "core corvine" group along with willy wagtails, so they're very smart and social and cheeky. They hang out in groups of around a dozen or so, hence the name, and have a similar family structure to wild wolves etc, with one breeding pair (mum and dad), their current babies, and their grownup kids, plus cousins and other family members and their partners, all helping to feed and raise and clean the babies together.

They love playing with each other and humans they've designated as friends. They like playing with the hose and have learnt that it only works if there's a human there to turn it on. They also like to hang upside down on low-hanging branches on the tea trees while their friends on the ground try to jump up to them without flapping their wings. And they frequently like getting on flimsy branches and hanging upside down on them and wobbling all over the place. I've also seen whole family groups playing bird soccer with macadamia nuts in their shells (once I even got to play fetch with them, throwing a ball for them which they'd grab and play with then roll back closer to me so I could throw it for them again!). When they're out looking for food on the ground (bugs and seeds) they will often spread out and walk in a line like a search party. They also like teasing my dad's big dog by hanging out on branches juuuuuust out of his reach and squawking at him, or dangling off the branches just out of his reach looking delicious. They harass migratory parrots but they're very friendly with the local crested pigeons, which I think is because they know the crested pigeons are too stupid to be a threat. The crested pigeons like hanging out with one or two for a family of happy jacks, so that the happy jacks can scare off any threats that the pigeon wouldn't notice coming.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

There are wild ringnecks living in at least one park in Rome, I think it's the one where the Borghese Gallery is.

Pookie update: She appears to have undone the knot in the single suture on her tummy :argh:, the suture is still in there, but the two ends are loose. I rang the vet's this morning and she says it should be totally fine, the wound is still closed and apparently the suture really only needs to be tied in place for the first couple of days. Also the little arse bit me twice this morning (quite nasty bites too) because I stopped her searching for nest sites on top of the T.V. by putting a tea towel up there.

^^ Happy Jacks sound wonderful! ^^

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

We had no idea there were parrots in the Hyde Park area, until I heard one screaming as it flew overhead-and when we turned the corner there was a woman feeding them, so we had to try it the next day. We heard them but couldn't pinpoint them, and found a bench a bit off to the side where a flock of pigeons were hanging out. Almost as soon as we sat down there were flashes of green appearing in the trees :3:

One tried to nibble (and bit repeatedly a guy who tried tricking it with a leaf in his hand) but they were all really chilled and would eat as much as possible before another parrot or pigeon knocked it off-they almost all refused to share food. Both parrots and pigeons worked out pretty quickly if a pigeon tried to land on me the hand would close and they'd get launched, so the pigeons foraged on the ground under the ringnecks, and the ringnecks aimed for a hand right after a pigeon was thrown off. The parrots all loved the nuts and sunflower seeds (surprise) but not one ate any dried fruit. There was also the occasion brave tit that would fly in and take a whole nut :3:

I have loooots of photos, will upload a few later

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

Is that the park thats out by Walpole/Denmark? That place is great.

Except for the foot biting rear end in a top hat corella that lives there.
Yeah that's the one

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Yeah, cockies are great fun to watch playing on things :3:

Back Home we have "happy jacks" which are on Wikipedia as apostlebirds. They're in the "core corvine" group along with willy wagtails, so they're very smart and social and cheeky. They hang out in groups of around a dozen or so, hence the name, and have a similar family structure to wild wolves etc, with one breeding pair (mum and dad), their current babies, and their grownup kids, plus cousins and other family members and their partners, all helping to feed and raise and clean the babies together.

They love playing with each other and humans they've designated as friends. They like playing with the hose and have learnt that it only works if there's a human there to turn it on. They also like to hang upside down on low-hanging branches on the tea trees while their friends on the ground try to jump up to them without flapping their wings. And they frequently like getting on flimsy branches and hanging upside down on them and wobbling all over the place. I've also seen whole family groups playing bird soccer with macadamia nuts in their shells (once I even got to play fetch with them, throwing a ball for them which they'd grab and play with then roll back closer to me so I could throw it for them again!). When they're out looking for food on the ground (bugs and seeds) they will often spread out and walk in a line like a search party. They also like teasing my dad's big dog by hanging out on branches juuuuuust out of his reach and squawking at him, or dangling off the branches just out of his reach looking delicious. They harass migratory parrots but they're very friendly with the local crested pigeons, which I think is because they know the crested pigeons are too stupid to be a threat. The crested pigeons like hanging out with one or two for a family of happy jacks, so that the happy jacks can scare off any threats that the pigeon wouldn't notice coming.

Again, I have to say that I'm jealous of all y'all's super smart/playful wild birds. I mean, yes, we have crows, crows are fun, and I love chickadees, cardinals, blue jays, and bluebirds, and both types of swallows, plus all the owls and the rear end in a top hat catbirds and mockingbirds...but it's not the same! Looking at pretty birds out the window and going "Oooo" is more like staring at pretty fish in a tank as opposed to watching a wild parrot being a clown and laughing at its antics.

At least wild turkeys are hilarious in that they're big and clumsy looking (and loud as all hell when they fly, and don't get me started on how ridiculous the tom's mating "dance" is). And I've been seeing tons of great blue herons anymore, and they're cool. And turkey vultures are just neat in general (if I had the money and space I'd love to foster vultures recuperating from injuries).

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Battle Pigeon posted:

We had no idea there were parrots in the Hyde Park area, until I heard one screaming as it flew overhead-and when we turned the corner there was a woman feeding them, so we had to try it the next day. We heard them but couldn't pinpoint them, and found a bench a bit off to the side where a flock of pigeons were hanging out. Almost as soon as we sat down there were flashes of green appearing in the trees :3:

One tried to nibble (and bit repeatedly a guy who tried tricking it with a leaf in his hand) but they were all really chilled and would eat as much as possible before another parrot or pigeon knocked it off-they almost all refused to share food. Both parrots and pigeons worked out pretty quickly if a pigeon tried to land on me the hand would close and they'd get launched, so the pigeons foraged on the ground under the ringnecks, and the ringnecks aimed for a hand right after a pigeon was thrown off. The parrots all loved the nuts and sunflower seeds (surprise) but not one ate any dried fruit. There was also the occasion brave tit that would fly in and take a whole nut :3:

I have loooots of photos, will upload a few later

:3: Well now I'm going to have to go and feed the Hyde Park birbs too. Any particular spots they like to hang out?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

schnickety scribe posted:

At least wild turkeys are hilarious in that they're big and clumsy looking (and loud as all hell when they fly, and don't get me started on how ridiculous the tom's mating "dance" is). And I've been seeing tons of great blue herons anymore, and they're cool. And turkey vultures are just neat in general (if I had the money and space I'd love to foster vultures recuperating from injuries).

Australian scrub/brush/bush turkeys are great because in built-up areas where nesting space is at a premium, they have to be more aggressive with defending their nests. Their favourite way of doing this is, well, what every other defensive parent bird has decided is the best way to defend their nest - by swooping. Unfortunately they are not as graceful or as aerodynamic as maggies, so what ends up happening is a turkey basically launching itself from a tree onto an unsuspecting human below. Every spring, people are surprised to learn that urban and suburban turkeys around bus stops etc can and will swoop.

In the wild breeding pairs will team up to dig a turkey mound in which they lay their eggs. The dirt keeps the eggs warm while the parents all roam around the area finding food and checking for predators. If a wild turkey in the bush sees you, it will try to run away from the nest, with the idea being that you will eat the delicious parent turkey and it not its babies (who will be able to hatch on their own whether the parent is alive or not). So, if you're ever looking for food sources in the bush, and it's turkey breeding season, find a turkey and then go in the opposite direction to the direction it's running, and you'll find a nest of delicious turkey eggs.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Australian scrub/brush/bush turkeys are great because in built-up areas where nesting space is at a premium, they have to be more aggressive with defending their nests. Their favourite way of doing this is, well, what every other defensive parent bird has decided is the best way to defend their nest - by swooping. Unfortunately they are not as graceful or as aerodynamic as maggies, so what ends up happening is a turkey basically launching itself from a tree onto an unsuspecting human below. Every spring, people are surprised to learn that urban and suburban turkeys around bus stops etc can and will swoop.

In the wild breeding pairs will team up to dig a turkey mound in which they lay their eggs. The dirt keeps the eggs warm while the parents all roam around the area finding food and checking for predators. If a wild turkey in the bush sees you, it will try to run away from the nest, with the idea being that you will eat the delicious parent turkey and it not its babies (who will be able to hatch on their own whether the parent is alive or not). So, if you're ever looking for food sources in the bush, and it's turkey breeding season, find a turkey and then go in the opposite direction to the direction it's running, and you'll find a nest of delicious turkey eggs.

Or just go to UQ St Lucia where year round turkeys will throw crap at you, making mounds.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Coastal Florida also has wild peacocks in a lot of areas. Unlike the budgies, I'm not fond of the peafowl. Sure, the males are gorgeous, but they're incredibly stupid, loud, and poo poo everywhere.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

mycelia posted:

:3: Well now I'm going to have to go and feed the Hyde Park birbs too. Any particular spots they like to hang out?

Both times we found them at and around the Peter Pan statue in the Kensington Gardens, you'll hear them if not see them easily enough. Go a little further forward* and there's a bench hidden on the right after the fenced bit ends, that's where we were feeding them. Both times about 10/11am :)

*if you're walking with the statue on your right, the area is south of the statue

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 28, 2015

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

mycelia posted:

Most of them are the decedents of a punch of parrots that escaped Shepperton Studios in the 50's while making a Tarzan film iirc.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, all we have that aren't really skittish of people are red-winged blackbirds, rear end in a top hat swallows (not scientific name, but should be) and fat rear end in a top hat robins (again, name, should be).

I want parrots :saddowns:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

We let the budgies out of the cage today.

They were reluctant to come out at first, so we covered the cage with a light blanket and they came out to chill on the door. Then they flipped out and flew around for a bunch, settled on the blanket over the window and then flew back to their cage when I tried offering them millet.

Now they're in the cage fussing with their toys. :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh jeez :kimchi: They look exactly like the first birds that were ever mine as a kid, Larry Bird (I know) and Chiquita. It always sort of slips my mind what pretty little birds budgies are.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I love the giant heads and pompous appearance of English budgies

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Are mine English Budgies? I was pretty sure they were Standard ... they're very little, after all.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

I love the giant heads and pompous appearance of English budgies
I know. They're the most disapproving being-with-a-pompadour I've ever seen.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

painted bird posted:

Are mine English Budgies? I was pretty sure they were Standard ... they're very little, after all.

But you've written before about them probably being English budgies :v: Hubris certainly looks it, with that shape head and face.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sorry for the crappy pic, its a very stupid crop of a picture I took way too far away, but what are those birds next to the galah? I've never seen them around before. They look like sulphur cockatoos from behind but they aren't.

This is the only picture I took, when I tried to get closer to take a better picture they flew away. I really need better lenses.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Sorry for the crappy pic, its a very stupid crop of a picture I took way too far away, but what are those birds next to the galah? I've never seen them around before. They look like sulphur cockatoos from behind but they aren't.

This is the only picture I took, when I tried to get closer to take a better picture they flew away. I really need better lenses.

Those are corellas. Cant tell what type, there are two different types of corellas I think: little corellas and long beaked corellas (i think thats what they are called, currently phoneposting in bed so cant look in our wildlife books). They look like long beaked corellas, or whatever the larger species is called.

Ok I am awake now, they look a lot like Long-billed corellas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-billed_corella

And it turns out that there are 3 species of corella in Australia, not two!

GoldStandardConure fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 29, 2015

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
taco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSEs-uSuDzk

Aug 24, 2011

erasmus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MjicuKOpjE

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, those are long billed corellas. You can tell by the reddish pink and blue faces. They like to live inside holes in refugees and logs. So if a dog is flipping out at a tree and you live near corellas, they probably have a nest nearby.

E: holy poo poo they live inside holes in TREES not refugees, what the christ auto correct :psyduck:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
look at his fluffy-rear end fuckin' muttonchops

man I'm so jealous of you right now.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

E: holy poo poo they live inside holes in TREES not refugees, what the christ auto correct :psyduck:
Australian refugee policy takes yet another lurch into "what the gently caress"

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I finally figured out what one of Connie's noises is--the "new text" chime on her person's phone.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Now get one of Gaston and his friend!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
My best friend's boyfriend has some carpentry skills and access to a good shop, so I commissioned a new piece of furniture for Auri, something better than the suction cup perch I used so she could watch out the window. He delivered it this week:

Auri loves it and took to it immediately. She's been obviously more happy since it arrived as it's much more comfortable than her previous window perch and it allows her to climb around as she wishes as well. I can also change out the rope perch in the picture for pretty much any mid-to-large-size hanging perch. :)

yes I know I need to give that window a cleaning! you can see where she'd touch her beak to it in the smears

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 29, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That picture is really lovely to me for some reason :kimchi: Happy birb sitting in the sun.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Tendai posted:

That picture is really lovely to me for some reason :kimchi: Happy birb sitting in the sun.

Agreed!! What a nice set up for Auri :)

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

"Mookie, I'm home!"
:barf:
"Missed you, too."

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That is a beautiful bird hangout/photo. It looks like something you might see in a magazine. :3:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

What a gentleman! Usually wild birds aren't so careful when getting goodies from humans.

Speaking of which, be careful what you wish for when you want wild parrot neighbors. They may be amazing to watch, but they can be noisy, destructive jerks too. Seems like a mixed bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4P_NhFlb5w

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I love wild birds that are dicks to people. :3:

Aug 24, 2011

Mizuti posted:

What a gentleman! Usually wild birds aren't so careful when getting goodies from humans.

he's the only one

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

schnickety scribe posted:

I love wild birds that are dicks to people. :3:

Same. So many people dislike the ibises that run rampant around Southbank and the Gardens Point campus, but I love them. It is great watching them sneak up behind people, pop their long beaks over their shoulder, and steal chips from their hands. Plus watching them eating hot chips is funny. They also sometimes chase small children.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Mizuti posted:

Speaking of which, be careful what you wish for when you want wild parrot neighbors. They may be amazing to watch, but they can be noisy, destructive jerks too. Seems like a mixed bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4P_NhFlb5w

I love the old lady in that video who is all "oh noo there can't be 30'000 of em, I've only seen about 30 :downs:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Would it be immoral or unethical to suggest to train or semi-domesticate Erasmus? Im not suggesting making him a full in house bird, but would it be neat to teach him the basics of stepping up and some simple behaviors? We dont have wild cows, and no one cries about that.