Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So thinking about it, should we do Craptank 2.0: Son of Craptank in October or November? Leaving it until December runs into Christmas so that's basically not a good plan. Once we decide that we get to decide on what kit to build :woop:

AlphaDog posted:

My yellow isn't Vallejo, but I do have a stack of older vallejo model air colors I used for painting D&D minis. They've kinda separated in their bottles though. What's the best way to re-mix them?
I've been told that you are best off rolling Vallejo bottles rather than shaking them, but I've not really noticed much difference myself TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

lilljonas posted:

The F14 was my absolute favourite plane growing up. :allears:

Same, and they were built like 20 minutes away from me. I loved those fuckin' planes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

So thinking about it, should we do Craptank 2.0: Son of Craptank in October or November? Leaving it until December runs into Christmas so that's basically not a good plan. Once we decide that we get to decide on what kit to build :woop:

November runs into Thanksgiving, so I guess November.

So now to check up on the miniatures thread. :haw:

VVV booze and explosives night is 4th of July here. And new years. And MLK day. And Tuesday. God bless America.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 9, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh yeah, I forgot that crazy yank holiday. We've got Halloween in October, otherwise known as "booze and explosives night".

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd be down for Craptank or Crapplane. Even though I got a big backlog and haven't worked on anything for like a month.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'd be down for Craptank or Crapplane. Even though I got a big backlog and haven't worked on anything for like a month.

I kinda like their idea of building a hi-mock mech.

Primarily to see how it looks with non anime paintjobs. And because I just ordered it off Amazon. :buddy:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Primarily to see how it looks with non anime paintjobs. And because I just ordered it off Amazon. :buddy:

That one is very inexpensive ($11 on Amazon) and very well-engineered, even by recent Bandai Gundam model standards.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I like the idea of doing something a bit different, you could do some weird stuff with a model like that.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I actually have a partially assembled and primed Hi-Mock as part of my backlog.

I just need to come up with a paint scheme...

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

That's pretty cool, had no idea they were making more generic mechs like that. I may have to pick up one to check out.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Poisonlizard posted:

That's pretty cool, had no idea they were making more generic mechs like that. I may have to pick up one to check out.

It's a really neat design. A lot more convincing as a military machine.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Looks like a fun model, but the Amazon specs say it is 1"x2"x4". I prefer working in a larger scale.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Poisonlizard posted:

It's kind of a joke - the show it's from takes place in the present day where "Gunpla Battle" is a popular worldwide sport. In Gunpla Battle, people build models which are then given the power to fly around and shoot lasers by Arthur C. Clarke's "sufficiently advanced technology." That robot, the Mock, is a sendup of bootleg Gundam kits.

The first season is basically "yes this is a toy commercial and how do you like that" but managed to be pretty fun.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Hi-Mock is also unique (to other Bandai Gundam models) in that it has by far the most hard-points to attach accessories to. It is basically the most moddable gunpla kit ever while also being one of the cheapest.

e: most of them are hidden in that picture, but practically every place that has a plate or a seam can be removed to reveal a hardpoint.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Between the Hi-Mock, the Grimoir, and the Bearguy series, Bandai's been pretty good at putting out generic open canvas kits for people to go hog with. Personally, what I drool over in plammo are the dioramas.

More patience and skill than I currently have. But someday.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Are these things in the same styrene plastic as regular tank/plane kits? If so then I'm in, but if it needs all different glues and such then maybe not.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Unkempt posted:

Are these things in the same styrene plastic as regular tank/plane kits? If so then I'm in, but if it needs all different glues and such then maybe not.

I've had good results with Tenax on mine, so I'd assume so. They technically don't require glue, but they technically don't require paint, either.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Bandai kits often don't need glue at all but they're the same styrene, yes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Seems like a cool little project, but surely it is too high quality to fit in with the spirit of craptank?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It might be, but let's see what the masses decide I guess.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

Seems like a cool little project, but surely it is too high quality to fit in with the spirit of craptank?

I thought we got the craptank because we wanted to do a group build and not have it be something expensive. I don't think the idea was to only do crap kits.

I already have the mock in my backlog so I guess I'm down to make a group build robbit.

What we REALLY need to do sometime is a half-built kit exchange-and-finish. I think a lot of people have kits they started and then life happened and it got shoved back in the closet or wherever. We should trade those kits and then try to finish them. Missing parts? lovely half done paint job? Pass the buck and let someone else try and turn it into... Something.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That's also a good idea!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Well we are approaching the holidays so its not asking people to spend more than shipping, but its not so close that the holidays would keep you from working on and completing it. And he'll if you don't finish it we can always keep passing it along.

gently caress, we could all of us just work on one kit, take a turn then pass that same kit along til it's finished. A real amalgamation of goon (un)skill.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

.... it turns out building a huge gently caress-off tank in 1:16 does not actually protect one from having to deal with itty bitty parts

:catstare: :psyduck:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Greyhawk posted:

.... it turns out building a huge gently caress-off tank in 1:16 does not actually protect one from having to deal with itty bitty parts

:catstare: :psyduck:

Are the seat-belt buckles multipart? :v:

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
drat, missed craptank, count me in for craptank 2 - water tank burst, still have a hole in the ceiling.

This means I parked my N, HO & OO Gauge projects and returned to building stock for my O take on Inglenook... Driving family up wall with 5 model railways on go at the same time.

Couplings, lettering and decals to go.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

You guys should totally do craptank 2 as soon as possible. I made a couple models as a kid with limited success - it has been really fun to read about all you guys are doing and seeing the pictures. I might even consider participating in craptank 2 if it is an easy enough model.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Scale model goons, I'm in need of advice.

I have recently acquired this monstrosity. A 4'X8' O scale train set.

It has gobbled up all of the space in my garage and smells of machine tools. Long story short, it was a promotional exhibit for a trade show like 20 years ago. Then it sat in storage where I work until someone decided to give it to me (for my 5 year old son).

We've decided to instead build a 4'X4' HO set instead so that it can actually live in the house and be stored in a non-ridiculous manner. We have a Bachmann HO set right now, is this OK to start with? The track seems kinda lovely.

Can anyone recommend some resources for us to get started on all this? Our goal is to make a small, but nice, diorama kind of set.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Yooper posted:

It has gobbled up all of the space in my garage and smells of machine tools. Long story short, it was a promotional exhibit for a trade show like 20 years ago. Then it sat in storage where I work until someone decided to give it to me (for my 5 year old son).

We've decided to instead build a 4'X4' HO set instead so that it can actually live in the house and be stored in a non-ridiculous manner. We have a Bachmann HO set right now, is this OK to start with? The track seems kinda lovely.

Can anyone recommend some resources for us to get started on all this? Our goal is to make a small, but nice, diorama kind of set.

Cut it in half. Keep the lake. Put alligators and pirate ships in the lake.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I haven't posted any boat pictures for a while, because rigging doesn't really make for very good updates, and with my trip to San Diego I haven't really done a lot. I did take a couple pictures last night, and realized that I did do a fair amount that wasn't updated though, so here is a photo of where it sits today. Still have lots of rigging to do, but it's definitely taking shape (and lots of space now).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Locator posted:

I haven't posted any boat pictures for a while, because rigging doesn't really make for very good updates, and with my trip to San Diego I haven't really done a lot. I did take a couple pictures last night, and realized that I did do a fair amount that wasn't updated though, so here is a photo of where it sits today. Still have lots of rigging to do, but it's definitely taking shape (and lots of space now).

:swoon:
In a way it's good they're so slow to build. Otherwise they'd quickly fill up your house like nautical tribbles.

My Hi-Mock kit arrived, and I googled "hi-mock custom" to look for paint and customization ideas.You should too. Trust me.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Yooper posted:

I'd use the 4'x8' table for the HO scale layout, and try to re-sell the Lionel 3-rail stuff. People go NUTS over it. 4x4 is kinda small for HO, more or less a basic circle with sharp radius and no switches. That being said, I've seen some nice 4x6 layouts (https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/garden-railroading/mrpdf062__A-layout-you-can-build-The-Turtle-Creek-Central comes to mind) as well. It all depends on what you want to do; if it's for your son, a simple table is good, and if it's for both of you, there's shelf options that depend on the space available.

As far as the Bachmann set, how old is it? I started with Bachmann and Tyco around that same age 25 years (!) ago and it was poo poo, but their modern sets are much better as far as reliability. They also have EZ track, which are interlocking track pieces with roadbed attached, which would be great for a beginner.

If you've got any more questions, hit me up at spitfires_and_nascar AT hotmail.com, and I'll be glad to help you.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

Yooper posted:

Do you want end to end/ tail chasing or would you be happy with a shunting layout.

If the former 4' x 8' is about the smallest due to curve radius (2' radius workable, 3' better, both normally available in ready to run) and the fact that you are only really able to fit a singe line with all yards and scenery in the middle, if the latter may I suggest looking at http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/ particularly the Inglenook and Timesaver options... and with a little tweak Inglenook can also have a branch passenger terminus... it is mentioned under variations on the website.

As far as Inglenook goes I have successfully been driving Dad up the wall with it (in a good way).

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 14, 2015

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

The Locator posted:

Gorgeous as always.

What's the best online planking guide in your opinion? I've had a little auxiliary boat kit lying around for ages, but I gave up about 10 planks in as the instructions were rubbish. Looking at all that sexy rigging makes me want to break it out again..

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I quite like this one

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/plankingprojectbeginners.pdf

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sanguine posted:

What's the best online planking guide in your opinion? I've had a little auxiliary boat kit lying around for ages, but I gave up about 10 planks in as the instructions were rubbish. Looking at all that sexy rigging makes me want to break it out again..

That's a good start. I personally like Chuck Passaro's -

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/Lining%20Off%20your%20hull%20for%20planking.pdf

That's the method that I used for my 2nd planking on the AVS. I used thin tape to define the belts.

I'd suggest reading all the planking guides you can find, and then just use whichever one 'clicks' for you. All of them work, so the best one is whichever one you understand and will use!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I work at the Naval Museum in my city, and we're checking museum numbers on all the items. Among other things we have to go into the displays and check all the model ships directly, so I thought about you guys and snapped a couple of photos of one of the largest models in the collection. It's a 50 gun frigate in, I believe, 1:35 scale and is seriously massive.

The ship is called Fyen, and was a lovely frigate, so it was sold to a merchant instead. If I remember correctly, it was over-rigged and therefore very top-heavy. It completed 3 voyages to the Far East before capsizing in a storm and going under. The model itself is originally from the same time as the ship was built, so around first half of the 1700s.

If anyone is interested, I can take more pics of some of the other models, or try and answer questions about sailing ships or ship models.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Throbbing blob posted:

If anyone is interested, I can take more pics of some of the other models, or try and answer questions about sailing ships or ship models.

Do you really have to ask?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Throbbing blob posted:

I work at the Naval Museum in my city, and we're checking museum numbers on all the items. Among other things we have to go into the displays and check all the model ships directly, so I thought about you guys and snapped a couple of photos of one of the largest models in the collection. It's a 50 gun frigate in, I believe, 1:35 scale and is seriously massive.

The ship is called Fyen, and was a lovely frigate, so it was sold to a merchant instead. If I remember correctly, it was over-rigged and therefore very top-heavy. It completed 3 voyages to the Far East before capsizing in a storm and going under. The model itself is originally from the same time as the ship was built, so around first half of the 1700s.

Awesome. A 50 gun ship would be on the upper end of the Super-Frigates of the 18th century, or early 19th.

I'd always be happy to look at model ship pictures, dunno about anyone else here though.

What city museum do you work at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Because I'm a nerd, I went looking for information about the Fyen.

She was a Danish 4th rate Ship of the Line, launched around 1738.I can't really find any history on her, but the'operator' in 1746 is listed as the Royal Navy, so she must have been captured.

At least on my phone, I can't find anything else on her at all.