Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
You should really watch Turn A Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

KFJ posted:

As someone who's never seen the show with that Gundam in it, why's a cow inside the Gundam? A gundam is no place for bovines

Hollow gundams make excellent delivery vehicles when you can't get a truck.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KFJ posted:

As someone who's never seen the show with that Gundam in it, why's a cow inside the Gundam? A gundam is no place for bovines

stabbington posted:

You should really watch Turn A Gundam.

:siren: Watch Turn-A Gundam. :siren:

It's by far the best 50-episode Gundam series.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

According to Gundam Guy, the RG Infinite Justice listing was a mistake on Bandai's part

quote:

In less than 24 hours after we had seen the listing of the RG 1/144 Infinite Justice Gundam as one of the compatible gunpla kit for the reissue of the P-Bandai Exclusive HG 1/144 Meteor Unit; the listing of the RG 1/144 Infinite Justice Gundam has now been removed (see the difference in the listing in the image below). We were told that Bandai made a mistake when typing the compatible gunpla list, and that is the reason why they had it removed. There are currently no announcement about what the next Real Grade release would be, but we were told that there won't be any new Real Grade release until after Feb 2016.

Was it really a typo on Bandai's part, or did they accidentally jumped the gun?.... Who know. But don't give up hope, as we might get some sort of Real Grade teaser at the All Japan Model Hobby Show 2016 happening at the end of this month. And rest assure that there will be other exciting line-up of gunpla kits. Especially the December Master Grade release. Stay tuned.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I wonder what we'll even get for the December MG, I'm having a tough time thinking of anything with wide-ish appeal they can do that would be impressive. They really covered a lot in the past few years. Maybe they'll do a remake of something with PG level engineering now that we're getting no grades with MG frames? Then again the last PG was just a blown up MG so god knows, I guess all the grades and scales are kind of mushing together at this point.

I really hope it's gonna be a G-Self or at least something new.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

KFJ posted:

While there is a tremendous amount of engineering to create a gundam there have been very few advances in the areas of milk production and distribution so that a pilot can always have a fresh glass of it on any battlefield on earth or in space. If the pilot is defeated and survives he is much more likely to survive with a supply of milk. While this is the only model that depicts this, ALL gundams are designed and equipped with a cow. Really makes you think about Heero self destructing his suits and the total sacrifice being made.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
And that's why nobody was surprised when the guy said "it looks like hamburger in here" at the end of War in the Pocket.

Finally the double door mystery of the Zaku cockpit is solved, one door has a cow behind it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Xy Hapu posted:

I wonder what we'll even get for the December MG, I'm having a tough time thinking of anything with wide-ish appeal they can do that would be impressive. They really covered a lot in the past few years. Maybe they'll do a remake of something with PG level engineering now that we're getting no grades with MG frames? Then again the last PG was just a blown up MG so god knows, I guess all the grades and scales are kind of mushing together at this point.

mg reborns. I'm always gonna say that the next mg is the reborns.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mg Virtue for the sheer wtf.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

Mg Virtue for the sheer wtf.

Pleaaaaaaaaase yes. :allears:

I wish they'd go back and finish the 00 lineup, at least for S1. I have the old 1/100 HG Dynames, but I want an MG of the whole original lineup to go with my hobo exia.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Monaghan posted:

mg reborns. I'm always gonna say that the next mg is the reborns.

Yeah I want that, didn't I hear they did at least the frame years ago? Might have been the Thrones.

KoB
May 1, 2009

KFJ posted:

The Turn A doesnt have moving mechanisms inside it, it moves by manipulating an i-field that is projected on the outside of the chassis, so theres actually lots of room inside for, say, cows. Or nuclear missiles.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Basically the Turn A is pretty amazing and you should definitely watch the show. The chest is mostly empty space, which is usually missile launchers, but for an episode it's cow.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Best part is that according to the novels, the Turn-A is supposed to work in tandem with a mobile base that is capable of instantly teleporting various modular systems into and out of its chest. It was also designed to be piloted by a newtype to meet its maximum potential. This means the anime only scratched the surface of its tactical livestock capability, and had Loran been a newtype, he could have utilized the Turn-A's full 650 hectacre agricultural output instead of being limited to a single projectile bovine. Combined with the moonlight butterfly system's ability to near-instantly create large swaths of tilled, fertilized land, the Turn-A was pretty much the end-all be-all of farming mecha, capable of cultivating an area stretching from Earth to Jupiter. It's really a shame all Loran did with it was stab things with the beam plows, to the Turn-A's creators it would have been like watching an elephant trying to operate an electron microscope.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Xy Hapu posted:

It's really a shame all Loran did with it was stab things with the beam plows wash clothes in a river, to the Turn-A's creators it would have been like watching an elephant trying to operate an electron microscope.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Stepping away from cow chat for a moment, do folks in thread have any recommendations for display shelves or cabinets? Looking for something that'd fit a roughly 12-18" x 48" space I created rearranging my den, and preferably under 200 USD.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Unless you want to go full DIY, Ikea Detolfs are the usual choice.

Personally I just pepper my entire room with models, though.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Xy Hapu posted:

One day they'll do MG V2 Assault Buster.

One day.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

We'll probably find out in October.

Still pulling for MG ZZ 2.0 so drat hard. Come on Bandai, you even just released Hyaku Shiki 2.0! Make the Gundam Team a reality!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Almost done. Almost done. Almost done. Almost. Done.

And then I'll display it for a few months before beginning the hellish job of mirroring the Xi's decals onto it. :suicide:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

We'll probably find out in October.

Still pulling for MG ZZ 2.0 so drat hard. Come on Bandai, you even just released Hyaku Shiki 2.0! Make the Gundam Team a reality!

gently caress that; I want GP01 and GP02 2.0 so I can get the RE/100 GP04 and not feel like buying ancient (by Gundam standards) models.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm hoping that the Barbatos gets an MG somewhere down the line, but they're releasing a 1/100 version with an inner frame already, so I don't know if they'll bother with an MG version. Just depends how the other kits sell, I guess, since the last two series never got protagonist MGs for some weird reason :shrug:.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

BlitzBlast posted:

Unless you want to go full DIY, Ikea Detolfs are the usual choice.

Personally I just pepper my entire room with models, though.

The bonus is that "Detolf" honestly sounds like the sort of name Zeon might have hung on an overpowered superweapon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Red Bones posted:

I'm hoping that the Barbatos gets an MG somewhere down the line, but they're releasing a 1/100 version with an inner frame already, so I don't know if they'll bother with an MG version. Just depends how the other kits sell, I guess, since the last two series never got protagonist MGs for some weird reason :shrug:.

The whole premise is it customizes itself with looted gear, so probably not.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Maybe the December MG is a surprise double release of MG Try Burning and G-Self Perfect Pack. :v:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The whole premise is it customizes itself with looted gear, so probably not.

We still got a handful of Build Fighters MGs, even though they didn't release enough to really take advantage of the build fighters swappable backpacks/equipment gimmick. I know making build fighters variants of existing kits is obviously a hell of a lot cheaper, but it shows that when it comes down to it, if there's a significant profit to be made Bandai will go ahead anyway, gimmick be damned.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Red Bones posted:

We still got a handful of Build Fighters MGs, even though they didn't release enough to really take advantage of the build fighters swappable backpacks/equipment gimmick. I know making build fighters variants of existing kits is obviously a hell of a lot cheaper, but it shows that when it comes down to it, if there's a significant profit to be made Bandai will go ahead anyway, gimmick be damned.

Different gimmick. They've said all the Gundams in IBO have the same/similar inner frame for complete pick-and-mixing of parts.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Different gimmick. They've said all the Gundams in IBO have the same/similar inner frame for complete pick-and-mixing of parts.

I know that, I'm saying that despite the IBO gimmick lending itself to only making a 1/100 line or an HG line for all the suits in the show and not bothering with an MG, if they see profit in making that MG anyway they'd go ahead and do it, and there's precedent for them doing that.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Maybe the December MG is a surprise double release of MG Try Burning and G-Self Perfect Pack. :v:
Right after the double release of Airmaster/Leopard.

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
So, someone on the Gunpla subreddit linked this Japanese TV show where they make all sorts of models/gunpla and the videos are actually kinda neat, especially with some of the techniques they go into. Here's a playlist if anyone's interested! I especially like the bit in episode 5 where he used a drill and some sandpaper to remove a nub mark from those helmet tube parts. None of them are subbed, sadly.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And it is finished. Hallelujah.

(Poor tiny sad hobo exia :smith:)

Overall, the build went a lot better than the Xi. There were certainly a lot less molding errors in the build, so they at least shaped up on that front, but I think a lot of it came from just knowing in advance that I needed to sand/shave down pieces before test fitting. The wiring was a special hell, but I did learn a lot about soldering during all the times I had to lengthen/fix their wires. And of course, it is disturbingly imposing compared to any other 1/100, which is a plus. I do wish they had done remolds for the shoulder armor, kneepads, and the fixed flight leg parts, just to stay closer to the original design, but I don't hate what they did.

Now I just need to get started on the one thousand decals. Oh boy. :suicide:

TARDISman posted:

Right after the double release of Airmaster/Leopard.

Don't forget the teaser images of MG Serpent/Leo.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 13, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
MG Qubeley 2.0.

I thirst.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Latest word on the rumor vine is that the lack of MGs has actually been because Bandai has been going full stop on the Star Wars kits. Supposedly the December MG is going to be the last regular release for a while until that craze tapers off.

Seems reasonable enough.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Hopefully Bandai not being able to sell Star Wars kits in America anymore means they'll be diverting less resources to them

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh and for those of you wondering, the next big hobby show starts on the 25th.

start your bets

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Geze and Kapool kits.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Finally tracked down a Grimoire kit. I think the order I'll tackle things for the next month or so is:

1)Grimoire. Looks cool, love it.
2)HG Gouf 35. Gonna practice some detail work on it, just to try the techniques out.
3)MG Tallgeese. My last stop before kickass town in...
4)"Glorious Grade" Gouf. I will cherish it like a son.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

BlitzBlast posted:

Latest word on the rumor vine is that the lack of MGs has actually been because Bandai has been going full stop on the Star Wars kits. Supposedly the December MG is going to be the last regular release for a while until that craze tapers off.

Seems reasonable enough.

Oh man I hope that's not true, if the Star Wars stuff does well that could mean 5+ years of spotty/weak MG releases :smith:

EDIT: I always thought they had a dedicated Gunpla division . . . kind of weird to imagine a bunch of dudes in Federation uniforms sitting at their desk designing TIE fighters

Xy Hapu fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 13, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xy Hapu posted:

Oh man I hope that's not true, if the Star Wars stuff does well that could mean 5+ years of spotty/weak MG releases :smith:

Don't worry bro. Bandai isn't allowed to sell Star Wars kits in America anymore. Not even to import shops like HLJ. They're selling off the last of their stock right now

https://www.hlj.com/2015-bandai-star-wars-kits-campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

Don't worry bro. Bandai isn't allowed to sell Star Wars kits in America anymore. Not even to import shops like HLJ. They're selling off the last of their stock right now

https://www.hlj.com/2015-bandai-star-wars-kits-campaign

Is there an actual news article or blogpost somewhere on this? At the very least is it explicitly only America?

BlitzBlast posted:

Seems reasonable enough.

It's not as bad as it sounds when you consider the 1/100 IBO line's kicking off alongside the 1/144.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 13, 2015