Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DesperateDan posted:

"Eh? a flat? it's only 10 minutes home!"

I bet that made a magical noise

On my way home last week, one of the manhole covers was missing on the freeway. ON THE FREEWAY. I saw it laying upside down about 1/2 mile up the road, I feel sorry for anyone that managed to hit that. When I drove past it I was like "was that cover missing?" Then I see the cover up the road with some truck parked next to it. Not sure what was going on, but man that could have ruined someone's day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That was a goddamned shitshow when it happened. It took DPD over an hour (I think several hours?) to even think about shutting down I-35E (the highway you can see in pretty much every angle), and if I remember right, at least one cylinder entered a building (I want to say Reunion Arena?). It's amazing nobody was killed in that.

And when they say "minutes from downtown", they meant "downtown is just on the other side of I-35E". The Dallas county jail is also nearby.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Sorry for the lovely pictures, taken from my phone. And the interior pic is taken squeezing my arm inside the door and praying, cause my bike is way too close to the door to lean in.

Race car bro! The driver side is worse, but I can't get in there at the moment.

Who needs freeze plugs?

This car apparently has a bent rod, likely from this. Once I can pull the clutch, going to tear down the motor. It has aftermarket pistons that are going to a friend, then I'm going to get the block hot tanked and possibly turn it into a table.

Mechanical success :v: I'm a few months past 28, and got this little bro in 7th grade.

Edit: apologies if the pictures are huge, I'm on mobile. If they are then tell me how to fix them and I will.p

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 15, 2015

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If you're phone posting, always use timg tags instead of just img tags.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

EightBit posted:

If you're phone posting, always use timg tags instead of just img tags.

Better? I have my phone set to take them at a smaller size, but who the gently caress knows anymore.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You can also just add a lowercase L to the url, just before the .jpg or .png or whatever.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

This happened in Bergen, Norway earlier this month.

Crane was lifting the container down from the roof. It snapped, the thing fell four floors and hit two occupied cars. Drivers were stuck for a while but came away with minor injuries. This is right next to the best wine shop in town, so there but for the grace of God...

The video of this accident has been released. You'll have to click through, but it's worth it.

http://www.bt.no/nyheter/lokalt/Her-kommer-konteineren-i-bakken-3439800.html

While nobody was seriously injured, the experience was no doubt traumatic. The idiot who operated the crane tried to lift 2400 kg with configuration capable of 1600 kg...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yes that's a pickup bed in the back.
No I have no clue why.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Yes that's a pickup bed in the back.
No I have no clue why.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_car

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I saw a BMW X6 with camber so bad in the rear that the brand newish tires had already worn through to the cords on the inside near the sidewall.

Also, on the way home I saw some goofy Dodge Magnum with a bunch of trash on the roof.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Interesting never seen one before.. thought it was a custom commissioned job for a person.

Edit: I kind of assumed that it was done for a funeral home when I did it.. but it had no funeral home name on it, and geenrally they wouldn't stick bumper stickers on them.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 15, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Biscuit Joiner posted:

And a great video of cylinders getting their valves knocked off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-xmaPSZ6GM

I love the canister that rockets up and out of the frame, never to be seen again. God knows where it came down, or what it lit on fire.

Also, the camera guy deciding maaaaaybe it's time to move back.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

Interesting never seen one before.. thought it was a custom commissioned job for a person.

Edit: I kind of assumed that it was done for a funeral home when I did it.. but it had no funeral home name on it, and geenrally they wouldn't stick bumper stickers on them.

I'd guess that is now in the hands of a private party.

I base that guess solely on the bitchin FSM-fish decal

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

tater_salad posted:

No I have no clue why.

It looks cool

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I have never seen one of those before, and now I want one.

Goddamnit.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Godholio posted:

Goddamnit.

Every man should have owned an ute during their adulthood.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Godholio posted:

Goddamnit.

Pictorial database of Cadillac Professional cars by year

Pictorial database of Cadillac Dream cars by year

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

It looks cool

oh my god how do i find one of these.

I guess I'd have to hotrod the hell out of it/drop an LS in to avoid having to start wearing doc martens and smoking cloves? Because goddamn I want to go load up a bunch of lumber at home depot with that thing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Nah. This is the wrong thread for this discussion, but what you should do is build up a turbo'd 500cid Caddy motor for it, like the Coupe de Kille

It uses the LS1 electrics and coils and such.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Yay, I have some content for this thread! :neckbeard:

Oh, poo poo. I have content for this thread. :(

Original harmonic balancer on my 1992 Buick Century 3.3.

Only the belt tension is keeping it on at this point. It even runs!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
On my 88 Delta 88 with the 3800, the second the harmonic balancer developed the tiniest crack it was like I had replaced the engine with a paint shaker full of lead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

On my 88 Delta 88 with the 3800, the second the harmonic balancer developed the tiniest crack it was like I had replaced the engine with a paint shaker full of lead.

So it wasn't noticeable at all then?

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

oh my god how do i find one of these.

I guess I'd have to hotrod the hell out of it/drop an LS in to avoid having to start wearing doc martens and smoking cloves? Because goddamn I want to go load up a bunch of lumber at home depot with that thing.

These have been a thing down under since about the 1920's.

Over here the current top line GM offering comes with a 376ci LS3 and can be had for a shade under $50K USD.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Raluek posted:

Nah. This is the wrong thread for this discussion, but what you should do is build up a turbo'd 500cid Caddy motor for it, like the Coupe de Kille

It uses the LS1 electrics and coils and such.

This should have been the new ecto-1.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

homebrew posted:

Over here the current top line GM offering comes with a 376ci LS3 and can be had for a shade under $50K USD.

We had these before, they just went out of style. But they were Fords and Chevys, from Cadillacs. And for drat sure not LAND YACHT Cadillacs.

Edit: And these absolutely do not belong in this thread.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

This should have been the new ecto-1.

The ecto-1 is a 15-30 year old junker they bought with the money they scraped together, not a classic. It's the only thing I approve of in the new movie.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Godholio posted:

Goddamnit.

Well, it is an achievable goal in life depending on how picky you are.

http://www.parkssuperior.com/car_listing.htm?cc=Pre-Owned&ct=Flower%20Car

There's one up now that is really a mechanical failure because it's awfully done.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

homebrew posted:

Flower cars generally don't have a tailgate, like a ute.

The US had the Chevy El Camino (also, GMC Sprint/Caballero) from 1959-1987 (there was a short break in the early sixties,) and the Ford Ranchero from 1957-1979. The two of them were what Australia is familiar with as the ute. Pontiac came a gnats rear end from bringing it back to the states in 2010, but in true GM fashion, they axed the entire brand just as something good was coming. :argh:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Pontiac came a gnats rear end from bringing it back to the states in 2010, but in true GM fashion, they axed the entire brand just as something good was coming. :argh:

There's a rumor every few years about it coming back and it never happens. Last time it was that Holden ute that recently ended production. Latest is that it's a 2016 model based on the Camaro. I'll believe it when I see it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
RIP G8 ST :argh:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Slavvy posted:

So it wasn't noticeable at all then?

I actually owned this exact car and it ran smooth, even after I jumped it and hosed up the front end alignment. It was a legit, unintentioned 16 year old dumb poo poo maneuver that had all four in the air. Took off on a grass ramp and landed on pavement, because I tried to pass on the shoulder, which ended with a great little jump before joining a wider street. Good times, that car was a champ until my mom hit a street sign 4x4 with it, and then my sister hit a deer with it. Still ran great, but the car was beat to gently caress.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm pretty convinced that the 3.8 is almost on par with the Jeep 4.0 in terms of durability.

Except it actually puts out a really shocking amount of power for what it is, at least in later versions (we had a 99 Olds with it at one point, drat thing just got up and MOVED when you wanted it to... too bad the rest of the car was complete poo poo).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The 3.8 is the only good part of any car that had the 3.8. Yes, including the 3000GT (gently caress that car). But it's a damned good, if heavy, part.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldsmobile it was in had gone through an a/c compressor, a HVAC blower motor, three or four climate control panels, two door cards (pleather started falling off), I lost count of how many window switches, and a water pump...

Mom bought it in 2000 with full service history and 30k (my uncle worked at the dealer that originally sold it, dealer did all maintenance on it; it was his daughter's car since new, and she was well into her 30s at the time). Traded it in at 50k for the Toyota she still has, and it had multiple interior panels that were held on with tape by then.

The 2003 Toyota has needed less work over its 13 years since purchase than the Oldsmobile needed in 2 years. Though it does piss oil everywhere, and the Olds actually got much better mileage on the highway and about the same with city driving.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Geirskogul posted:

The ecto-1 is a 15-30 year old junker they bought with the money they scraped together, not a classic. It's the only thing I approve of in the new movie.

the ecto 1 is actually a subaru outback man, dunno what you're on about

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
??

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009
;e
Not the stupid poo poo thread apparently.

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 16, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This is not hilarious.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

The 3.8 is the only good part of any car that had the 3.8. Yes, including the 3000GT (gently caress that car). But it's a damned good, if heavy, part.

Uuhhh the 3000GT never got any 3.8l engine, never mind a 40 year old GM pushrod one. :confused: That being said, gently caress the 3000GT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay either I was thinking of the grand prix, or confusing an engine swap thread. Either way, gently caress the 3000gt.