Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Also there's like a dozen of the latter left while the armies of the former swell into multitude.

unfortunately while they swell they're still convinced that they're surrounded by extreme japanophiles at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i love japan

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It's okay.

It makes things I tend to like.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I like shoujo manga.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I like pants.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I like shoujo pants.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I like josei and romance pants.

Usually romance pants.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Relife is long-form as well. Definitely not as common as 4-panel.

This is a lot better than I expected it to be, given the premise. I was expecting the protagonist to be some huge loser who formed a harem upon returning to high school or something, but he's actually a pretty normal person with a legitimate trauma in his past that indirectly lead to his unemployment. It has lots of really nice "feel good" moment as he helps his classmates (who are accurately depicted as huge spazzes because that's what teenagers are like) fix their issues.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I might get back into relife but that red haired girls second arc, or whatever you want to call it, was absolutely dire

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh shi, the new Fruits Basket has scanlations

into Spanish, but still!

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I read through all of Tomo-chan in one day, oops. It's funny and good, thanks VEGETA.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Dezinus posted:

I read through all of Tomo-chan in one day, oops. It's funny and good, thanks VEGETA.

same it was awesome

Also new chapter of &-and- after a year without a new one.

I checked through the same team's stuff, and found Anata no Koto wa Sorehodo which is a cool josei thing about first loves, relationships, and cheating on your spouse. I wish more of issues were up, seriously -- the three that are are imo pretty fab.

I like reading things with realistic (bad) relationships where people are dicks and sometimes poo poo fizzles out when years go by and relationships become more complicated. It's still romance v:shobon:v Recommendations?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Terper posted:

Oh shi, the new Fruits Basket has scanlations

into Spanish, but still!
And now in English.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Whats with the 13 page first chapter? :mad:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah that was kind of pointless overall and told me jack about the "hook" for whatever the story will be.

That one teacher looks like the brother of Tohru's creepy friend whose name I've obviously forgotten in the decade since I read FB.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Did they de-age all the main characters or what

I guess this is a weekly?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a sequel, it takes place years afterwards. None of the old characters seemingly appeared in that chapter other than maybe the aforementioned brother.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

That one teacher looks like the brother of Tohru's creepy friend whose name I've obviously forgotten in the decade since I read FB.
Tohru's friend was named Saki Hanajima, her brother was Megumi.

I think the first teacher was the student council president in FB (http://fruitsbasket.wikia.com/wiki/Takei_Makoto).

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

arisu posted:

Whats with the 13 page first chapter? :mad:

Awful.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Speaking of sequels to old shoujo classics, anyone reading Marmalade Boy Little? I'm enjoying what little there is out so far, I really liked Marmalade Boy.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

2 chapters of Tamen De Gushi!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

He is a very large man.

I am more than ready for some kissing in this.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
New chapter of Last Game is teasing us with possible progress. :argh: Cliffhangers!!!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Last Game will never progress, it's the rules

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I want to shake them for a while, then hold their faces together. Then maybe shake them again. I need to not read Last Game chapter-by-chapter, it's much more enjoyable in volume-sized chunks.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thanks for the warning. Last Game has been in my queue to read for a while but I was kinda holding off thinking I might wait til it's done. That kind of no-progress plot is really annoying to read but once I get started with one it's hard to not read them as they come out.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Another chapter of Fruits Basket Another:

http://bato.to/read/_/344324/fruits-basket-another_v1_ch2_by_rain-boots-co

It's only like... 10 pages.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
LOL what is with that character design, it's literally Kyo.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Because fictional genetics.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

arisu posted:

Another chapter of Fruits Basket Another:

http://bato.to/read/_/344324/fruits-basket-another_v1_ch2_by_rain-boots-co

It's only like... 10 pages.

This is ridiculous. If this is weekly, it should be monthly. If it's monthly, lol, and it should be quarterly.

Nate RFB posted:

LOL what is with that character design, it's literally Kyo.

Yeah, the designs are... uninspired, to put it kindly.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does the original Fruits Basket still hold up? Curious if it's popular more out of age+nostalgia or actual quality. I watched a little of the anime years ago but at the time wasn't into shoujo much and never finished it. I know my taste has changed a lot since then so I'm sure my impression of it would be different now.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Compendium posted:

Because fictional genetics.

I've confused pictures of my father at ~20 with pictures of me around the same age. It's not the most unrealistic thing, but it is boring.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

Does the original Fruits Basket still hold up? Curious if it's popular more out of age+nostalgia or actual quality. I watched a little of the anime years ago but at the time wasn't into shoujo much and never finished it. I know my taste has changed a lot since then so I'm sure my impression of it would be different now.

I haven't watched the anime in years, but the manga is still great, and I reread it once a year or so.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The anime stops pretty short and only gets into one major plot point. I don't think the anime holds up as well, but I think the manga is decent since you get to meet all the Zodiac members and at least things get resolved. First half is better than the second half though although at least the ending is nice enough.

I'm fond of Fruits Basket humor wise and it can be a tear jerker in its own way.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 17, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll probably check out the manga at some point then. I don't remember how far into the anime I got, probably just whatever was on the first DVD of the box set. I don't recall disliking it, just not being interested enough to keep watching.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The manga is very good, if a bit melodramatic. What set it apart in my opinion from the pack (and really many more since then) is that it dedicated a huge amount of time to its ending, like the main conflict (and boy is it a doozy) wraps up some 2 volumes before the final chapter so there is a huge amount of catharsis and closure.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The anime doesn't get to a lot of things, but it has excellent music, use of said music, and comedic timing. I think it really adds a lot to the content it does cover.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

The anime doesn't get to a lot of things, but it has excellent music, use of said music, and comedic timing. I think it really adds a lot to the content it does cover.

Also, although I never bothered to watch more than one episode of it, they put a lot of effort into the dub, if that's your thing, even going so far as to dub the OP/ED.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It got two more chapters today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

chumbler posted:

It got two more chapters today.

This is a good manga.