Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mercury Hat posted:

I mean, while there are probably a fair number of kids that want the dolls, another big factor in who gets a toy is the parents. The little doll minifigs say to that parent "this is a girl toy, buy it for your daughter". If there was a little girl who previously really wanted Lego but her parents said "no, that is a boy toy" maybe now she's at least getting Friends sets.

I was in a Big W semi-recently and overheard a father saying to his daughter something along the lines of "Why are you looking at the boy LEGO?" and it made me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone have an extra Plant guy from series 14? Last one I need, still have 2 mad scientists and a zombie pirate or cash for it. :)

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Chairchucker posted:

I was in a Big W semi-recently and overheard a father saying to his daughter something along the lines of "Why are you looking at the boy LEGO?" and it made me sad.

Working in a Lego store, I hear this on a very rare occasion, and it too makes me sad. What makes me happy, though, is when a boy decides he wants one of the Friends sets (usually things you don't get in City, like a Hot Air Balloon or the Lighthouse) and the parents are okay with the purchase.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Any idea when the Star Wars advent calendar comes out? The others are already out but no sign of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I saw a bunch of them at Target the other day.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Hopper posted:

Any idea when the Star Wars advent calendar comes out? The others are already out but no sign of it.

Saw one at TRU last week.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo it seems like a rip at $40.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Hopper posted:

It's been out at LBR stores since the first of September.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

My Kroger affiliate has them out too

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What? Not even the lego store has them listed in Germany.
And the large lego selling place I went to yesterday had it neither.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I think this is the first SW Advent Calendar without any prequel stuff in it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

VaultAggie posted:

This is actually why I really like the friends sets. You get cool places like a shopping mall, a hot air balloon, a jungle theme, a hotel, and tons more. I don't care kick about the mini-dolls but the variety and great assortment of pieces make the friends sets often more appealing than City.

It's much better now than the old lovely Belville or Scala, which were just useless.

Speaking of Friends mini-dolls, is there any use or aftermarket for a bunch of loose bald ones? I promise that's not as dirty as it sounds.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Some of the Friends sets are really cool and unique buildings/vehicles, especially the Pop Star Bus and Dolphin Cruiser. Sunshine Ranch is neat too!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wish minifigs were cheaper to come by. I have some neat Harry Potter sets I got in fragments from Goodwill but none of them came with any drat wizards - but not keen on $6 for a single guy on ebay or $60 for a handful of the main cast. Feels so rough when you can get "AWESOME SET, NO MINIFIGS" for ridiculously cheap, like no one values the actual bricks and only the costumes.

Thinking objectively about screen-printed plastic and the other toys in the next aisles, it's a bummer they don't just sell Harry Potter Main Cast Pack for $20 for 8 tiny people. I understand a number of reasons why their fanbase and marketing have developed this way, but as an adult fan who is only rediscovering this stuff years later it's annoying that my only chance of getting a considerable number of people is tons of cash or tons of older generic city guys.

As it stands the three-headed dog is accompanied only by the generic blue Merlin wizard of the 90s.

e: I apologize for this blasphemy but it's almost enough to make those giant "40 avengers ripoff minifigs from China for $20!" ebay lots attractive despite the quality difference.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 17, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The minifig packs that lego used to sell were awesome for exactly that reason. Especially the figures from the 80's, they tended to wear down pretty quickly and being able to get a brand new shiny set of characters was great.

Obviously those days are gone because Lego has realized what a moneymaker minifigs are and making minifigs too easy to get is not ideal.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What's the easiest way to find and order multiple different parts from as few Bricklink stores as possible?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Brickficiency seems to work okay

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Doomy posted:

Brickficiency seems to work okay

Ahh I've been doing it manually all this time like a caveman.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

This bit here:

It looks sort of like two 1x2 with clip (part 92280) pieces stuck back to back but I'm not sure why they would have done that, or how it would be held together. Could just be poor image resolution but I don't see a seam either.

I still haven't been able to figure out what this is, but I have 2 falcons, a spider droid, AT AT and a snowspeeder Microfighters on my desk now and Star destroyer, xwing and tie are also on their way.
I also just remembered my GF got me the Lego SW advent calendars every years since 2012, and I just crammed all the mini builds into a lego storage head on my shelf so that gives me a lot of small parts for this as well.

I will start my buildcheap copy of someone else's MOC this weekend.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

xzzy posted:

The minifig packs that lego used to sell were awesome for exactly that reason. Especially the figures from the 80's, they tended to wear down pretty quickly and being able to get a brand new shiny set of characters was great.

Obviously those days are gone because Lego has realized what a moneymaker minifigs are and making minifigs too easy to get is not ideal.

Or, you know, other toy manufacturers have the action figure licenses that prohibit the licensed stuff from being sold outside of building sets.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

Or, you know, other toy manufacturers have the action figure licenses that prohibit the licensed stuff from being sold outside of building sets.

Yeah, but they don't do 6 for $6 minifig packs for their own generic figs anymore, either.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yeah, but they don't do 6 for $6 minifig packs for their own generic figs anymore, either.

they do the blindbags instead I guess. Chima has tribe sets that are mostly figures with minimal bricks and also some blister packs that are 4 minifigs with accessories.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah or that Ninjago Build an Army thiong. 4 figs in a pack. But who cares about Ninjago anyway? (Yeah I know little kids think its all the rage cause NINJAS!)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The early 2000 ninja sets were better anyway. I'd mix them with the Adventurer's sets and it was awesome.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:stare: <flaps hands excitedly>

Please be true please be true please be true

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That would be 300 pieces more than the Tower bridge (4295) at 1.5x the price...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Ghostbusters HQ from Ideas that was up for review but not approved was only 2800 pieces.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/60632

You would think they would make it to Modular scale, and Modulars all have under 3k pieces.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cripes, that price though.

Listing of some more 2016 sets

More speed champions sets. :dance:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am legit excited for the batman ones, finally chance at a good batman minifig under 10€.
The current penguin set only has this weird scuba suit Batman :-(

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Yay more Star Wars ships :allears:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Tonight I decided that it was finally time to start going through my boxes of my childhood lego and trying to build some of the sets up. Starting with the blacktron base.

However, while digging out the bits for steps 1 and 2 of that, I found some parts labelled LL-918 and LL-928.

Back when I was about 10 in the earily 90's I was given a pile of classic space lego by a family friend who had 'outgrown it'. some of it was partially constructed and much of it was just in bits and it all went into my lego boxes.

I had never realised that LL-918/LL-928 were ships until I noticed that Bennys spaceship was LL-929. Now I cant decide if I am more excited to build up LL-928 or the Blacktron base! :D

Benny and antique Benny!:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hopper posted:

That would be 300 pieces more than the Tower bridge (4295) at 1.5x the price...

Apparently some of that piece count comes from a buildable, to-scale Stay Puft.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

If that's true I'm buying it the second it comes out!

I need to set up a place to actually display my stuff. Just moved to a new house. Everything is still boxed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PriorMarcus posted:

Bullshit without picture evidence.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

It's the stay puft marshmallow man...

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 19, 2015

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Stan S. Stanman posted:

If that's true I'm buying it the second it comes out!

I need to set up a place to actually display my stuff. Just moved to a new house. Everything is still boxed.

I feel your pain, I just moved cross country 4 months ago and I am just now starting to unpack and reassemble all my sets, there are so many modulars and displays I have to get set back up, it is kind of a daunting task to complete.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.

Hopper posted:

What? Not even the lego store has them listed in Germany.
And the large lego selling place I went to yesterday had it neither.

The message I got from Lego is that the SW Advent Calendar is delayed a bit because they had to fix an issue with the boxes.

They wrongly said it contains an exclusive Darth Vader figure, when it's actually a C-3PO figure, so they're being manually fixed.

Our store is getting them delivered next week it seems.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks. Between my tower bridge coming with one ripped open bag and missing 1 piece, Wally's problem and this (yes anecdotal evidence) I am surprised at the number of problems I see with Lego this year.

Plus I mean the box thing you describe is a really obvious issue that should be spotted before production.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

So the Ghostbusters HQ set number and name corresponds with a Lego URL, all but confirming it's existence. And, interesting, the way set numbers work, makes it look like there's 6 more sets in the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

So the Ghostbusters HQ set number and name corresponds with a Lego URL, all but confirming it's existence. And, interesting, the way set numbers work, makes it look like there's 6 more sets in the line.

Oh man oh man oh man oh man