Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Fog Tripper posted:

Hello again, bad thread. What news?

GRRM will be releasing both Winds of Winter and a Dream of Spring this April to coincide with the return of the show.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/443593.html#comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

drat. Stannis's letter to Jon Snow "thanks for the hot tip everyone loves stannis now" feels good. Poor guy needed something to go right. Too bad brienne chops his head off or something according to the show.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

kcroy posted:

poo poo, yeah probably.

I saw part of the bloodraven episode last night... dude looked like an old man on a chair. SFX really slacked that part out.

They replaced that actor with the sinister Swede Max Von Sydow. So there is some hope they might redesign Bloodraven to be a spooky tree-lich like how they changed the white walker design.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I should make it clear that Max Von Sydow only looks sinister and is not actually evil.

As far as I know.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
pisssssssss

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Just saw a commercial for the new season of Dr Who. Is that Arya I am seeing?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fog Tripper posted:

Just saw a commercial for the new season of Dr Who. Is that Arya I am seeing?

Yes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's kind-of a law that if you're in British Television long enough you'll do something on Doctor Who.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mind the walrus posted:

It's kind-of a law that if you're in British Television long enough you'll do something on Doctor Who.

Used to be the same with Law & Order.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

neil gaiman seemed pretty excited to write an episode

He also did an episode of Arthur and the Simpsons around that time

nacho bitch

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

GRRM will be releasing both Winds of Winter and a Dream of Spring this April to coincide with the return of the show.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/443593.html#comments

goddamn it I loving had some sort of weird feeling I think was hope.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, Bloodraven really fell flat. Hopefully Hodor's dick will look better next season.

You know some GoT freaky fan chicks out there would love some o that HodorBonor. I feel like there is an opportunity here for me to make some money on the side.

FreudianSlippers posted:

They replaced that actor with the sinister Swede Max Von Sydow. So there is some hope they might redesign Bloodraven to be a spooky tree-lich like how they changed the white walker design.

ah cool. hope they take another pass at it.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Malpais Legate posted:

Book isn't out. Show is worse than ever. And we're out of lemoncakes.

New thread title?

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
I came here to bitch about fantasy novels and eat lemoncakes.

And I'm all out of lemoncakes.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Every time there is some kind of meeting with a mysterious stranger there's all kinds of speculation was it him was it them. I'm reading the ghost of winterfell chapter of DwD and theon is walking outside and "a man" is about to stab him and he only lives by showing his hand and getting pity. I read it three times, there isn't a single distinguishing feature about the man, like he doesn't matter. Like it could be anyone. But his words make it EXTREMELY someone. Why did they do this? Make him someone! Is it the blackfish? Goddamn!
His cloak is blowing behind him in the wind. I can't even google this to watch other people talk about it. Who wears cloaks and would hate theon? gently caress!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Who wears cloaks and wouldn't hate Theon? To anyone in the books he is still Theon Turncloak turned into the Bolton's lapdog, I can't think of many who would hesitate even a second to stab him. But yeah, that guy felt like he was supposed to be a Someone.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I somehow googled "theon and some guy" and did find a dissertation on it
http://branvras.free.fr/HuisClos/Kinslayer.html
I'm only halfway through but it feels solid and like he's building towards something.

That's a lotta words about making a miller's boy a son of theon. Okay I'm sold. Thematically, kinslaying, even unknowing, gets you royally hosed by the gods. But not Tyrion. Which is a shame because I liked the idea of him literally being Tywin's son while jaime and cersei were secret targaryens.

Awwww pisss. No name. He might be suggesting jason mallister.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 20, 2015

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Awwww pisss. No name. He might be suggesting jason mallister.

I've heard everyone from Robett Glover to Theon Durden.

Of course there's enough ambiguity that it could be a never before seen new POV character. But who'd be crazy enough to introduce a new important character in the back half of such a thick series?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

p.crestmont posted:

I came here to bitch about fantasy novels and eat lemoncakes.

And I'm all out of lemoncakes.

Novels too.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Krinkle posted:

Every time there is some kind of meeting with a mysterious stranger there's all kinds of speculation was it him was it them. I'm reading the ghost of winterfell chapter of DwD and theon is walking outside and "a man" is about to stab him and he only lives by showing his hand and getting pity. I read it three times, there isn't a single distinguishing feature about the man, like he doesn't matter. Like it could be anyone. But his words make it EXTREMELY someone. Why did they do this? Make him someone! Is it the blackfish? Goddamn!
His cloak is blowing behind him in the wind. I can't even google this to watch other people talk about it. Who wears cloaks and would hate theon? gently caress!

But this is part of why I love the series. You expect that these things will be important and they are fun to think about and we all have faith that when he finishes the novels all will be revealed and the true fans will shriek with delight at how clever he is even if the casual reader is like "who?"

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Happy Birthday Absolute Fucker. Normally, today you wouldn't have to write or anything but perhaps this is the one day a year you should?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

But this is part of why I love the series. You expect that these things will be important and they are fun to think about and we all have faith that when he finishes the novels all will be revealed and the true fans will shriek with delight at how clever he is even if the casual reader is like "who?"

When HBO finishes the series the last episode just needs to be them shooting down fan theories.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Bahahahahahahaaha

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Hooded man ideas I found:
It's howland reed despite the fact he has literally no reason to show up anywhere and he's 100% known for being short as gently caress but theon didn't notice that or think it was worth mentioning.
It was whoresbane umber passing notes to his brother on the outside, the horn and drums start up right after this, and he knew to go to the walls to pass info because of a mystery?
It was davos who followed the manderlies up because wyman isn't afraid of anyone pointing at a knight taking a piss and saying hey aren't you that guy we thought was dead?
It was Benjen he just slipped right through and never told anyone at castle black he was alive because that's satisfying.
It was the blackfish he's on his way to the wall even though that was the loving deal he tossed out in the loving first place by escaping.
My favorite is:
It was theon seeing his own reflection in the glass gardens. Theon had a dagger, they all did, he's contemplating suicide as the dominant theon is disgusted with reek. That would solve all the problems with the kinslayer line because it's his subconscious telling him he killed his own son - you no longer have to answer why would anyone know he fathered a crofter's boy, why did they care to learn, and why did they piece it together that theon probably killed them instead of bran/rickon. But the glass gardens were shattered and ain't nobody been to myr for new glass yet so that's out unless you want to go full fight club with the dissociation.

e:Ohhhh poo poo. Dark horse candidate: Harwin. Sent by catelyn to see "what the gently caress is this poo poo do you have my daughter?"

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 21, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think a running theory is that it was the Stranger/Many-Faced God but I guess that's lessened since GRRM has said he doesn't want the Gods actively intervening in a personified form.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Those words are exactly what the Blackfish would say, he just has literally no goddamn reason to be strolling into the mess hall when he's the number... four? fugitive in westeros.
Davos might be there, he might have been stopping by to say hey found the kid plan is a go but he has never threatened to stab anyone, ever. He's just constantly trying to get people to like stannis. He wouldn't recognize theon on sight, and wouldn't go out of his way to find people to start fights wtih, and wouldn't gently caress up his smuggling job by drawing attention to himself in the camp of the enemy.

Literally the stranger is a gender neutral horrifying shadow person, not "a man"

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Congrats to peter dinklage for screaming cock merchant loud enough to get an emmy, and to the writers of game of thrones for throwing the source material in a dumpster and tying up loose ends whether it was satisfying or not.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Krinkle posted:

Congrats to peter dinklage for screaming cock merchant loud enough to get an emmy, and to the writers of game of thrones for throwing the source material in a dumpster and tying up loose ends whether it was satisfying or not.

The show just broke the record for most Emmys ever won in a single year, one of which was for Outstanding Stunt Coordination.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CaptainRightful posted:

The show just broke the record for most Emmys ever won in a single year, one of which was for Outstanding Stunt Coordination.

Emmys are not a good watermark of quality. See also every award show and ratings website

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

What is he flinching at? Nothing in particular? I never saw that gif before.

I'm pretty sure the only jon chapter I have left is him getting knifed. What happened to all the corpses he left in the ice cells to see if they got up and he could parley? Absolutely gently caress-all? When he put the bad karstarks in the ice cells were those different ice cells?

e: Oh god is that a whip in the background? The lady in the background like 400 feet away is supposedly whipping him? That's why he's flinching?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

I'm pretty sure the only jon chapter I have left is him getting knifed. What happened to all the corpses he left in the ice cells to see if they got up and he could parley? Absolutely gently caress-all? When he put the bad karstarks in the ice cells were those different ice cells?

Mel foreshadows the hell out of Jon of the flycatchers and he makes sure to lock up ghost before his caesarean

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I hadn't read DwD since back in '11? The tv show overwrote my memories, I forgot that Hizdarl didn't get his throat slit at the dang fighting pits. Or that there wasn't an attack on them at all, just strong belwas ejecting his stomach lining at mach speed and dany's husband asking her to not leave. I also forgot tyrion almost got ate by lions unawares.

Goddamn what a dumb season. How is her telling him he's married to her now or she'll burn him more compelling than marrying some idiot reluctantly who is probably definitely for sure behind the murders just to make them stop and the army outside the gate go away?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

They also keep throwing Emmys at Modern Family. Not a great barometer of quality.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Under what definition was the Dorne stunt choreography not outstanding? We've been talking about that sequence for half a year nonstop.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Under what definition was the Dorne stunt choreography not outstanding? We've been talking about that sequence for half a year nonstop.

It was outstandingly pathetic and funny.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

two four six eight! Stunts in Dorn were really great. Great meaning large or immense, we meant it in the pejorative sense

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

When Cotter Pyke writes to jon to say "hey these wildlings don't want to come, they call us slavers, the bravosi will only take women and children..."

Is this before or after the chapter where arya finds out that the slavers that pulled into bravos had the women and children from hardstone? Is the iron bank slaving? Or did none-related slavers already take the women and children and leave the rest to cannibalize in hardhome? I can't get the timeline straightened out and I don't know if these are separate incidents but it sounds like some slavers showed up, left, the fleet jon sent showed up, but now they are wary to slavers and won't leave. And fought?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Krinkle posted:

And whatever snake it is that he's fighting is already backpedaling away, despite him still struggling to get his sword out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Krinkle posted:

When Cotter Pyke writes to jon to say "hey these wildlings don't want to come, they call us slavers, the bravosi will only take women and children..."

Is this before or after the chapter where arya finds out that the slavers that pulled into bravos had the women and children from hardstone? Is the iron bank slaving? Or did none-related slavers already take the women and children and leave the rest to cannibalize in hardhome? I can't get the timeline straightened out and I don't know if these are separate incidents but it sounds like some slavers showed up, left, the fleet jon sent showed up, but now they are wary to slavers and won't leave. And fought?

Two ships show up at hardhome randomly (to make repairs?). Wildlings there beg to be taken aboard. The ships say they can't hold everyone, but take a bunch of women and children. Once out to see they make it clear they are enslaving them, and taking them to Lys to be sold. One of the ships is caught and seized by Braavos, where slavery is forbidden, presumably the other one makes it. Cotter Pyke shows up afterward.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mind the walrus posted:

They also keep throwing Emmys at Modern Family. Not a great barometer of quality.

That's correct. Modern Family does have better choreography than GOT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Going for a rererereread. After I finish Mazalon or whatever it's called series.