Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Davincie posted:

i've discovered the ultimate mix of shoujo tropes:

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/bambi-to-dhole-r16396

it has
-delinquent boy
-kid being raised by the delinquent (he's the father, possibly)
-the mc is adopted
-the mc is the class monitor
-the mc is also a secret delinquent??
-the mc already has a boyfriend??????

Sold at everyone being delinquents

The boyfriend thing is interesting. I don't really remember any other series that start off with that premise, though...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that's why i added the ??????

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

??????

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
żżżżżż

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

oh right i made a post

let's go with Orange Yane no Chiisana Ie

Hey, thanks! I think I may have read that one once already, but if so it was like a year or two ago, so it's long enough to feel like I'm going in fresh.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Davincie posted:

has anyone read Corseltel no Ryuujitsushi Monogatari? looks like a cute josei thing and its just got its first update in 2 years

OH, THE DRAGONBABY ONE!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I was looking through random shoujo series on Batoto and found the following description for one called "Get You <3":

quote:

For Anri, age 17, there can be only one--the popular singer SHIN. She'd risk her life to be transformed into a woman by him, and she'd sooner die than knowingly give her virginity to anyone else.

For some reason I find the phrase "She'd risk her life to be transformed into a woman by him" hilarious. I'm guessing the Japanese was maybe just "become a woman" and the translation was wonky, but it's still funny either way.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOvlmsUCaRU
Two new chapters of Yona.

Goddamn.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
SuBLime picked up Ten Count.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, that's pretty much how I expected that to go :smith:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Did you guys enjoy Blue Spring Ride? Or have any suggestions similar to it that are good?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cephas posted:

Has anyone read Shishunki Bitter Change? It's a gender bending/bodyswap manga about a boy and a girl who swap bodies accidentally when they're children and have to grow up "protecting" each other's bodies and social lives. The characters are nuanced and the drama is fairly subtle, and it manages to be about gender and sexuality without being sexualized. As far as interesting gender bending manga are concerned, from what I've seen there's this one and there's Boku wa Mari ni Naka but I'd love to know about any others.

Thanks, I'll follow this series too.

Has anyone read All That We Hope To Do (webtoon)? I noticed it getting alot of updates and it's a quick read. It features a cast of 20 something characters trying to get by life despite challenges.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Horimiya 55

I don't fully remember, but was that the guy who Hori beat the crap out of when he was bullying Miyamura?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Horimiya 55

I don't fully remember, but was that the guy who Hori beat the crap out of when he was bullying Miyamura?

Perhaps, but it'd be weird for him to show up again to see him right? Eh, actually I don't remember that person's face that well. I find that if there's too many character I start giving me them nicknames like Class President or Rival #1

Yes, it even applies to irl scenarios when I graduated HS I completely forgot a lot of people :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Horimiya 55

Not referring to this specific chapter, but I find it interesting how in this and a lot of other shoujo comics there seems to be this trope where people being super jealous is treated as a positive/romantic thing somehow. Like, in this one chapter some dude lends his coat to Hori and then Miyamura takes it away and gives her his coat and I'm thinking "whoa this dude is acting super insecure" but she's like "this is so romantic." Or scenes where the guy is like "I OWN THIS WOMAN."

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Or scenes where the guy is like "I OWN THIS WOMAN."

Yeahhh my favorite moment is when the MC says no, while uncommon, it aligns up with my thinking.

I agree with you it's somewhat problematic since being overly insecure can ruin a lot of relationships. I'm still looking for the most relaxing dating couple ever series.

Alder fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 23, 2015

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Are there any yuri manga that aren't set in high school? Besides Stretch?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cephas posted:

octave

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Cephas posted:

Collectors?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cephas posted:

http://dynasty-scans.com/series/philosophia

I like her work and art is nice. I hate to say it but Tomo reminds me of myself too much to be healthy.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cephas posted:

Honey and Honey, Octave, Love My Life, Poor Poor Lips, Cirque Arachne

probably more i'm forgetting

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Poor Poor Lips has the unfortunate aspect of the 20-something looking like a toddler. She's an almost shapeless moeblob. It's unfortunate because the rest of it's pretty great.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Jin Takemiya is doing a series called Irrational Us, which is set in the workplace between two women.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Alder posted:

I'm still looking for the most relaxing dating couple ever series.

I mean, it's Bonnouji, right?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Cool! Thanks for the recommendations :D

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Also After Hours, which got an update two days ago.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading more of Horimiya, and I liked it a lot more earlier in the series when Hori wasn't so randomly violent and tsundere all the time and Miyamura was more entertainingly awkward (though he's still alright). I can't pinpoint when exactly the change occurred, but it seems like now every other time there's a scene with Hori in it she's calling Miyamura an idiot or hitting him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, that's been going on for a while now and it sucks.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, that's been going on for a while now and it sucks.
The 'this is where the story truly begins' in ch43 seems to be suggest that this sadism/tsundere poo poo is actually the norm from the original 4komas. It's funny but if that really is what we can expect from now on, it could get pretty tiresome... It lines up with what I saw in the OVAs, but I haven't ever picked up one of the 4koma volumes to read, just this version.

I'm enjoying After Hours. It feels like a style of romance manga I haven't seen much (and I definitely haven't seen it in yuri). The way the author skips time and leaves events implied is really nice.

Every time I read Jin Takemiya's stories I end up wondering what her life's been like so far. It feels like everything she writes comes from a cynical perspective, to a degree that even Shuninta's soul-crushing stuff can't match.

Cephas posted:

Some of these are college students, which maybe isn't what you're after? Not universally amazing, but I don't bookmark anything I dislike:

Renai Manga by Naoko Kodama
Wife and Wife by Hisanari Minamoto (mostly comedy, but it's cute)
The Feelings We All Must Endure by Amano Shuninta (good, hosed up, smutty at times)
Ebisu-san & Hotei-san by Nanki Satou (Satou's Kyou Kara Yonshimai has a yuri couple as primary characters, but the protagonist is a straight girl.)
Dandelion Among Lilies by Yamaguchi Serika
Honey & Mustard, 20-Year-Old Girl x 30-Year-Old Maiden, Office Romance by Akiko Morishima are all pretty good.
Ohana Holoholo by Shino Torino
EDIT: Fluttering Feelings by Ssamba
Lily Love by Ratana Satis

The Sea, You, and the Sun by Mira is about adults & is a personal favorite but it's smut so YMMV

Kaelan Zero fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 23, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I read Takemiya Jin's stuff sometimes but it's usually too cynical and anti-romantic for me to really enjoy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's not romance but it should be shoujo: can anyone recommend some decent, preferably not depressing magical girl manga that has isn't obsessed with creepily sexualising children?

(Or indeed just doesn't sexualise children, at all, ever, preferably.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 23, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Cardcaptor Sakura? Maybe? It's been ages since I last read it, I don't remember it sexualizing children (or, at least, it had no creepy fanservice that I recall).

Also, through taking a look at the "Magical Girl Anime and Manga" category on Wikipedia:

Hime-chan no Ribbon
Kamichu (an anime though, so not what you're looking for)
Miracle Girls
Sailor Moon
Saint Tail

Those are the ones I know that are mostly fanservice-free.

(Comedy option: Magical Girls of the End.)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Definitely go for CCS if you haven't read it before. It's super cute, and aside from an unfortunate romance between a teacher and his elementary school pupil (bad, but confined to a bare handful of chapters), it's entirely creepy-free. It also got a really nice omnibus release recently, so if you're American, you can get the whole thing for <$70, if you're so inclined.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Shugo Chara was a pretty good magical girl manga.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Mikl posted:

Cardcaptor Sakura? Maybe? It's been ages since I last read it, I don't remember it sexualizing children (or, at least, it had no creepy fanservice that I recall).

Also, through taking a look at the "Magical Girl Anime and Manga" category on Wikipedia:

Hime-chan no Ribbon
Miracle Girls
Sailor Moon
Saint Tail

Those are the ones I know that are mostly fanservice-free.

(Comedy option: Magical Girls of the End.)

Nobody should joke about reading magical girls of the end.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I like the little side yuri stories at the end of chapters of A Kiss And A White Lily.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has anyone read "In the Clothes Named Fat"? It seems kind of interesting/depressing.

edit: Well poo poo, that was a downer.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 24, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mikl posted:

Hime-chan no Ribbon
Miracle Girls
Sailor Moon
Saint Tail

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Definitely go for CCS if you haven't read it before.

Allarion posted:

Shugo Chara was a pretty good magical girl manga.

I was considering rewatching the CCS anime because I last saw it during its original French TV run, so I guess I'll start there and then check out the other recs. Thanks! I might also read Sailor Moon, but there's like a million issues of it.

Really wish mahou shoujo wasn't generally creepy naked children fanservice central. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Really wish mahou shoujo wasn't generally creepy naked children fanservice central. :(

I don't know what you've been watching to get this idea but 90% of magical girl shows are PreCure style stuff for kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't know what you've been watching to get this idea but 90% of magical girl shows are PreCure style stuff for kids.

Blame Nanoha and/or Fate Prism Ilya.