Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ramsus posted:

The only server that exists for me right now is Sheepkf on HOE where I have a level 95 firebug.

Are your perk bonuses improved up to that level?

Can you... can you take a picture? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

FaustianQ posted:

Yeah, I actually wouldn't mind if Commando became more focused on taking down middle tier Zeds more effectively, but there might be crossover issues with Sharpshooter. I kind of want a skill choice between SLAP or JHP, where SLAP doubles a Commandos penetration with class weapons and JHP behaves like an EMP grenade, staggering and temp disabling special abilities for Zeds. JHP would have the knock on affect of being decent vs Scrakes and Fleshpounds though, so the overall chance should be low (like 20%?) to prevent a Commando from stunlocking or somesuch. I've tried Impact, was not impressed with Impact.

I'd also like to see some kind of door HP buff mechanic to Support, as well a skill or passive which enables door welded by a Support to resist being permanently removed. Like, 4% weld HP per level and doors resist destruction from everything except Scrakes, Fleshpounds, and future Zeds at their tier or higher.

I want the commandos passive extra ammo buff back. :arghfist::saddowns:

And something better then the single vs. burst-auto does more damage cause that's just loving stupid.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Klaus88 posted:

And something better then the single vs. burst-auto does more damage cause that's just loving stupid.

Patch notes:
Commandos now have a scaling increase to max ammo with level.
Commandos have had all of their their ammo counts nerfed again.
9mm now has 10 bullet magclipdrumbelts.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Extra single shot damage vs higher RoF and ammo?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

I want commando recoil reduction back so bad

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Section Z posted:

Patch notes:
Commandos now have a scaling increase to max ammo with level.

Yeah that would be nice. :nallears:

Ruggington posted:

I want commando recoil reduction back so bad

Motherfucker. Tripwire sometimes it feels like tripwire actively hates the Commando class.

I feel like they're moving towards giving each class a unique pistol to go along with the unique melee weapon. Would sync up real nice.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread 'cheating' their demo level up to 15 to make them a functional class.

I tried to do this by hosting both a solo offline and dedicated ranked server running kf-KillHans and kf-TestingMap but didn't appear to get any xp for either.

For the terminally dense, can someone please explain in simple terms how I can get this working?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Serdain posted:

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread 'cheating' their demo level up to 15 to make them a functional class.

I tried to do this by hosting both a solo offline and dedicated ranked server running kf-KillHans and kf-TestingMap but didn't appear to get any xp for either.

For the terminally dense, can someone please explain in simple terms how I can get this working?

There are apparently servers you can join that will facilitate you in this process.

Or you could use this, assuming it still works. I guess it got updated and some people are having issues, but it's hard to tell if it's broken or if people are just stupid.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

So, uh, any idea what's up with this? Noticed it this evening while resetting perks to their starting-at-wave-one settings.

Apparently they nerfed the values and didn't update the tooltip.

Edit

Also what (free) video editing software do people use to cut out clips from shadowplay recordings for gifs of sweet gib-filled-goodness?

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 22, 2015

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I get they're trying to make the game more team oriented, but I wished they eased up on trying to ammo starve players. Or atleast have the support/demo with free ammo/nades as a baseline perk.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Serdain posted:

The map is kf_timbosperktraining, and I found it by going to the server browser and looking for HoE servers. There are just a few servers of it though, so good luck.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Find the perk trainer in HOE that spawns 1 hp hans to max every perk in like 2 mins.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kikas posted:

The map is kf_timbosperktraining, and I found it by going to the server browser and looking for HoE servers. There are just a few servers of it though, so good luck.

I have the KF2 server installed and working. What magic sauce is required to get this map going?

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Stanley Pain posted:

I have the KF2 server installed and working. What magic sauce is required to get this map going?

Just throw the map folder into: \KFGame\BrewedPC\Maps

Then edit the \KFGame\Config\PCServer-KFGame.ini file under: "GameMapCycles" to add the map name into the rotation of map voting.

You can also make the server start there by editing the batch file you run to start the server: KF2Server I think.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I always thought that leveling is a stupid loving idea in games like that.
It'll always end up with cheaters, "un-viable" classes while they're below a certain level and people kicking players that have too low of a level in their eyes.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Jack Trades posted:

It'll always end up with cheaters, "un-viable" classes while they're below a certain level and people kicking players that have too low of a level in their eyes.

I think the concept behind levels is to gate progression in difficulties so you don't have complete tards ruining your suicidal/HOE run, while encouraging players to move to harder difficulties for better rewards and out of the lower difficulties, while adding a sense of progression and accomplishment.

It's a nice thought in theory, different in practice.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There's like 3 or 4 different perk leveling maps. All with different names. Just search for HOE games.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, i tend to agree that most of those systems make the actual playing experience worse in many ways in order to extend playtime for a sense of "progression". But then again i'm not into MMOs at all and they're wildly popular, so what do i know.

To be fair though there'll always be the cheaters regardless of mechanics, almost always strong balancing opinions - best case being that what's "un-viable" is highly subjective.
And the kicking behavior is just people being assholes regardless of "justification", if you find a reason to solve that (besides not playing on random servers) please let me know.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 22, 2015

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah but it works well in KF2 to a degree. The classes are pretty varied in playstyle and most of them, even at level 0 differ in what they bring to the tables, the XP (as in, the only permanent reward you get for playing) doesn't differ as much between levels of difficutly, compared to say, Payday 2. I'd say that it works really good with the difficutly curve and steady progression, and it's really something you need for people to keep on playing. KF1 did it in the WORST way possible, Killing Floor 2 does it better. The only thing the levels change are numbers that make you kill faster and earn dosh more efficiently. The perks change the game a bit, but it's not like someone without a certain perk is complete trash - I'd say the classes in this game bring enough utility by just existing.

...unless you play Demo :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The entire reason the XP system feels bad is because it doesn't line up reward with what feels like a reasonable unit of play. Particularly later on, it feels like leveling slows down a lot and getting a level is less a pleasant reward and more a rare surprise. The XP system really just needs to be tweaked so you will average a level per Long game you play, presuming you are on the 'correct' difficulty. Which is to say, 0-5 Normal, 6-10 Hard, 11-20 Suicidal, 21-25 HOE or whatever the prevailing wisdom is now. 25 Long games of KF2 is a lot (somewhere between 15-20 hours of play) but if you can hop on and play 1-2 games and get a perk level, it feels pretty good.

Considering most XP comes from killing stuff it's pretty hard to balance this out, though, unless you presume that everyone is going to wound/kill a relatively equal number of zeds (absurd in the case of Field Medics at least, and arguably other classes). Perhaps what we need on top of the current system is an on-perk XP payout for simply surviving waves, that is some fraction of the total XP earned in that wave. Maybe that means kill XP is reduced to balance. I dunno what really makes sense since I haven't really looked at the numbers. Sure, cheaters will still exist. Sure, you'll get self-important fuckwits who get angry at people on the internet because their lives are so empty that that's the only way they feel anything anymore. But they'll be at far lower levels if the system feels more fair.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't know, I consider leveling up just a cool side effect of actually playing the game. I have fun blowing up zeds and doing sick nasty headshots in matrix time, not watching my red bar fill up.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Away all Goats posted:

I don't know, I consider leveling up just a cool side effect of actually playing the game. I have fun blowing up zeds and doing sick nasty headshots in matrix time, not watching my red bar fill up.

Filling the red bar up allows you to blow up Zeds in new and exciting ways.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Filling the red bar up allows you to blow up Zeds in new and exciting ways.

And depending on your class it's the difference between being a liability and an asset

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ruggington posted:

And depending on your class it's the difference between being a liability and an asset

This is the real problem. Levels and perks have way too big an impact on the game, so the difference between a level 0 and a level 15, or a 15 and a 25, is huge. I feel like base stats should be raised significantly and per-level stat gains should be reduced accordingly, and perk power should also be cut down a bunch.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This is the real problem. Levels and perks have way too big an impact on the game, so the difference between a level 0 and a level 15, or a 15 and a 25, is huge. I feel like base stats should be raised significantly and per-level stat gains should be reduced accordingly, and perk power should also be cut down a bunch.

Why?

Why even bother with levels then?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

E: Whoops.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 23, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Skoll posted:

Why?

Why even bother with levels then?

You still get the effects of levelling, it's just that instead of shotguns getting +25% penetration power per level, they get +5% but basic shotgun penetration is five times higher than it currently is.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You still get the effects of levelling, it's just that instead of shotguns getting +25% penetration power per level, they get +5% but basic shotgun penetration is five times higher than it currently is.

This is still better than KF 1's grindfest. I'd say I don't have any real issue with the levels. Yeah, starting out sucks but that's how it is.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
How is this even a discussion when you can level a perk 0-25 in less than 2 mins on a perk trainer server.

You don't need some masterful grasp of map modding or downloading a map and installing it to the correct folder. Start the game, browse HOE servers, find one that spawns large groups of 1 hp hans that don't attack over and over.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Ramsus posted:

How is this even a discussion when you can level a perk 0-25 in less than 2 mins on a perk trainer server.

You don't need some masterful grasp of map modding or downloading a map and installing it to the correct folder. Start the game, browse HOE servers, find one that spawns large groups of 1 hp hans that don't attack over and over.

Wait, wouldn't that mean 100% of the time It's Zed Time?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Levels also work as a handicapping system for difficulty levels. Good players can try higher difficulties at lower levels, bad players can level up a bunch before moving up, etc. I don't really mind it, especially in comparison to the first game's system.

The secondary exp objectives for each perk do seem rather insignificant though. I think those could use a small boost.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ramsus posted:

"Why are we even discussing the game's balance when you can just cheat yourself to level cap?" is not exactly a shining endorsement of the game's design.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Honestly the problem I feel is that the perks that make a class a liability or a boon to their team are so very deep. First of all, no class should be a liability at any point, but if there is a class that is a liability they should get the skills to make them not poo poo early on. The classes should be fun to play, having to deal with more than maybe the first five levels as a class that's weak is just not fun at any point. I don't care about power creep, if a class needs an ability to be fun/useful, put it first and don't make the player slog through 60% of the levels to reach it.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ramsus posted:

Because that's not how the game is being designed

And it's the reason why we have so many garbage level 25's

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Maybe it could work like this - the primary thing only gives you class XP, but the secondary objective gives you "general XP" which you can then distribute as you see fit between classes. Kinda like the PD2 perk decks work. This way, if you feel like a class is too much poo poo, you can just play something you're comfortable with, focus on the secondary objective for a change of pace and level up your lovely class.

...hm i guess you can *kinda* do it like this just by picking up the poo poo class weapon :v:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Like if you have 30 hours in this game and you understand the general flow of the game and your role then whatever loving do what you want about your levels

But don't boost your poo poo and come into suicidal without knowing you can give people armor as medic

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Lemon Curdistan posted:

"Why are we even discussing the game's balance when you can just cheat yourself to level cap?" is not exactly a shining endorsement of the game's design.

Ruggington posted:

Because that's not how the game is being designed

And it's the reason why we have so many garbage level 25's

"cheat"

I guess it's how you look at it.

Either way a person could join a HOE game at perk level 0. You can do whatever you like.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

These are my thoughts, too. The classes should start with bonuses equivalent to their current level 10ish, then gain the difference between that and maxed out over the 25 levels. It would make the classes not-awful to play at the start, make difficulty choices actually difficulty choices and not just you compensating for your own power creep, and reduce the temptation for newbies and dinguses to cheat thus resulting in fewer braindead 25s.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
If we're pitching semi-radical ideas to change KF2's leveling design, here's another one to ignore: throw all the perk bonuses that you get for level 5, 10, 15, and 20 into one pool of selectable bonuses. At level 5, you get to choose one of eight bonuses; at level 10, a second. It seems dumb that, say, Demolitionist has a huge weakness in effectiveness whenever a Siren is around - up until level 15, where you can take a perk to make all your explosives completely resistant to their screams. But getting up to 15 is a huge chore without that. What if you could do that at level 5?

I feel like it'd also encourage perk bonus design to be better in general; a lot of the current binary choices have really obvious "correct" bonuses, whereas if you could take any four out of eight at level 20 it would encourage a lot more variety and experimentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ramsus posted:

"cheat"

I guess it's how you look at it.

Either way a person could join a HOE game at perk level 0. You can do whatever you like.

You can vote kick a level zero immediately because you know without a doubt they aren't ready

You don't know if that level 25 berserker is going to sit back and fight the scrake with a nail gun and waste everybody's time