Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Also holy poo poo they're really not going to address the fact that a vigilante serial killer superhero just blew up a dam to kill someone, are they?

He was probably maybe I think a rapist, that makes it okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Also holy poo poo they're really not going to address the fact that a vigilante serial killer superhero just blew up a dam to kill someone, are they?

That's what I was saying about the previous page, you are given a visual of her handing off the camera to the powers that be (metaphorically washing her hands of the affair) but then we follow her straight home to mundane dorm room and it kinda spoils that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Flesh Forge posted:

That's what I was saying about the previous page, you are given a visual of her handing off the camera to the powers that be (metaphorically washing her hands of the affair) but then we follow her straight home to mundane dorm room and it kinda spoils that.

Don't forget the part where she randomly flies about with a tree for ???

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I was just posting what I remembered so my bad on forgetting the context of your post. It's still complete hyperbole to call such a non-issue incredibly lovely, but mostly I was referring to the people who threatened to quit reading the comic because of it.

I keep skirting Leaving this comic and it's thanks to all the goodwill built up from Feral's chapter that I didn't just let this comic go like I did that one about the monster case worker. It's a mess of a chapter but there's at least an interesting premise under all the rust and mud.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I suspect we've still got a couple of pages left. This one is just a way of kicking Alison when she's down (although being rid of Violet will probably be a good thing in the long term). So there may yet be more wrap-up on the actual plot of this issue.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Don't forget the part where she randomly flies about with a tree for ???

Iunno I figured she was clearing debris or something, it didn't bother me that much.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Flesh Forge posted:

Iunno I figured she was clearing debris or something, it didn't bother me that much.
She was building a new dam like a super-beaver

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Elysiume posted:

Really want a panel of Alison using her invulnerability and super strength to chew trees down now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I would read that comic.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elysiume posted:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Especially true if you have a strong dislike of Japanese rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-KrVKb4qpI

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I-I like Rashisa :smith:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Atmus posted:

I THINK she left when Miles got murdered, but at this point I don't even feel like going back and checking.

I went back and checked, we don't see Violet after Miles dies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FourLeaf posted:

Can we please stop doing this? The artist commented on Tumblr that comments weren't working at first, but they're fixed now.

I think the comic is circling the drain as much as anyone else, but instead of focusing on the bad content, you guys are jumping on tiny ridiculous things as proof of the creators' malevolence. The same thing happened when the vote button briefly appeared on top of the comic page because it had different dimensions, but some people apparently thought it was the creators trying to force/trick people to vote for them.

They're working now but I'm pretty sure everyone's (well, everyone who cares about comments?) just waiting for them to straight up close them forever because of too many hurtful disagreements or something. Incidentally I think they're too passive to reject comments even. I posted two because I couldn't resist touching the poop and they just let one I made about how lame it was that they killed off furnace as a strawman instead of anything else, stay as "pending" for days now while one I made after it got passed through fine. :shrug:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

FourLeaf posted:

Can we please stop doing this? The artist commented on Tumblr that comments weren't working at first, but they're fixed now.
Oh, okay, didn't realize that was a thing. "I wonder what people have to say about thi- closed?"

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Where did Sakura come from.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

No they probably will since this comic is not one to shy away from needless exposition.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
From earlier this chapter, cracks in the dam :v:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Alison is incredibly rich and famous. Why not go to a hotel? I get not standing her ground against her roommates. If she's willing to let a serial killer go because she was given sad puppy dog eyes, why not let bratty kids walk all over her?

I've defended and more or less liked this comic for quite a while, but good lord. We got the showdown with the chapter's antagonist. Why is this chapter still going on?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is she incredibly rich?

Famous, yeah, but she doesn't seem to have any particular income.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Took me a moment to figure out where this was

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Is she incredibly rich?

Famous, yeah, but she doesn't seem to have any particular income.

She talks about doing a few more commercials as if it would be trivial for her to raise enough money to pay for cancer level medical bills. She blows off extra royalties money from Hector like it's nothing. Maybe she's not well off enough to qualify as incredibly rich, but she's certainly well off enough to afford an emergency hotel room for one night.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
She doesn't seem to have any actual money right at this moment. She could certainly raise money by doing commercials or things like that, but probably not right at this instant in the street, in the rain, while carrying all her belongings in a bunch of soggy cardboard boxes. (Not taking the royalty checks was more likely an ethical issue, but yeah, long-term she probably doesn't have to worry about money, it's only an immediate problem, not an ongoing one.)

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

She has all her stuff but no checks? No credit cards? She didn't have any problem covering that vending machine she wrecked out of sexual frustration.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I agree, she may not be Scrooge McDuck but she has to have some savings lying around. I get that she's being put back with Paladin so maybe there will be some followup to their earlier conversation but there's no reason why she couldn't just go to a motel or something.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Even if she was just looking for a place to stay to clear her head, calling Doctor Statistics makes more sense than this.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would have guessed she would go to the firehouse. I mean, she's a volunteer firefighter and those dudes seemed pretty cool and well on her side in everything that happened so far, I would have guessed they'd be happy to put her up for a couple nights while she gets her stuff sorted out. Also, they are outside all the superhero/biodynamic/school stuff that has been blowing up in her face, so it would be some nice neutral turf.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
gently caress Established Continuity.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

The tagline for this chapter.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh goody, I can smell a multi-week monologue around the corner :suicide:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

She probably doesn't have much/any personal savings. She has resources and she could call her government contacts but she probably doesn't want to cause more trouble with Violet since the last time she pushed back against someone screwing her over she got him fired. She could call her parents but her dad has cancer so she doesn't want to worry them. She could have called Patrick but we all saw what happened to Patrick.

So really, she should have gone to room with Cleaver. He's got plenty of room where he's staying.

Speaking of Patrick, it just hit me that his "better" way of dealing with the protesters was to kill them all after they went home.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well I mean she explicitly lost her phone, so that's a pretty good reason for her not to call her handlers, her parents, or Patrick. :v: Although even in this day and age I am pretty sure you can find a phone to use on campus somewhere. This is basically what RAs are good for after Freshmen year. I also think it's fine for her to want space from lots of those people right at this moment, too.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Why would they make her go to a hotel away from all the other characters in the story. What would be the point of that?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

What's a pay phone

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Why would they make her go to a hotel away from all the other characters in the story. What would be the point of that?

Nobody said she should go to a hotel room. They are just bothered by the fact that the narrative falls flat on its face because ~Weak Male Author~.

If she'd have said "I really need someone to talk to." or "I need to get away from my life." or even "I don't know where else to go." it would make more narrative sense than "I can't go anywhere else." which is an even shittier line and is false on the face of it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Toshimo posted:

Nobody said she should go to a hotel room. They are just bothered by the fact that the narrative falls flat on its face because ~Weak Male Author~.

If she'd have said "I really need someone to talk to." or "I need to get away from my life." or even "I don't know where else to go." it would make more narrative sense than "I can't go anywhere else." which is an even shittier line and is false on the face of it.

Yeah man, she can fly. Why would she say I can't go anywhere else. She can fly anywhere.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
No but you see technically she could go to a hotel away from all characters and have nothing to do for 5 panels. "I can't go anywhere else" has about the same connotations as "I don't know who else to turn to right now" if you don't take it 100% literally. Yes, she could technically go somewhere else, but Paladin is close, she's carrying all of her possesions in boxes in the rain, and Paladin would understand her position a lot better than most other people.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

The trials of a homeless superhero

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

How else could you set up the inevitable lesbian webcomic romance?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

No but you see technically she could go to a hotel away from all characters and have nothing to do for 5 panels. "I can't go anywhere else" has about the same connotations as "I don't know who else to turn to right now" if you don't take it 100% literally. Yes, she could technically go somewhere else, but Paladin is close, she's carrying all of her possesions in boxes in the rain, and Paladin would understand her position a lot better than most other people.

Nah. We've already had the climax of the chapter. Now the comic is (for some baffling reason) trying to make us feel sad for Alison. She has no choice but to walk a long rear end way through the rain carrying her stuff in cardboard boxes. Poor Alison.

Except not because it's total bullshit. Alison has all kinds of choices, and we as readers know it.

Stories can gloss over a lot of poo poo that doesn't quite make sense and be fine, but this comic currently has nowhere near the momentum to get over even this relatively small bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Wittgen posted:

Nah. We've already had the climax of the chapter. Now the comic is (for some baffling reason) trying to make us feel sad for Alison. She has no choice but to walk a long rear end way through the rain carrying her stuff in cardboard boxes. Poor Alison.

Except not because it's total bullshit. Alison has all kinds of choices, and we as readers know it.

Stories can gloss over a lot of poo poo that doesn't quite make sense and be fine, but this comic currently has nowhere near the momentum to get over even this relatively small bump.

Well, I can sort of see where they're going, with another riff on "Allison is super-poweful but none of her powers are useful for what she actually wants to do."

It's bad timing, though. Allison just caused an unprecedented disaster by attempting to chase down an invisible maniac on her own, and then completely allowed that maniac to escape, so... the audience isn't really going to be moved at this point by people being a dick to her.

• Locked thread