Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wasn't there a backlog, too? Or did they catch up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
So Yuri Danshi started to get some real translations, ch 1 and 2 so far: http://reader.yuriproject.net/read/yuri_danshi/en/1/1/page/1

It's a comedy manga about a Yuri fanboy, and it's like this:

This is me:

I don't know if any real yuri happens, since it's mostly a joke manga, but I feel it is relevant to this thread. If you can put that aside and accept that the premise is literal male gaze, it's really fuckin funny.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

It's actually kind of painful to read. :negative:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It is kinda dumb and exaggerated yes. But that's the whole point I think. Just read the whole "Yuri is a blessed thing" speech on page 14 chapter 1.

UP AND ADAM posted:

So Yuri Danshi started to get some real translations, ch 1 and 2 so far: http://reader.yuriproject.net/read/yuri_danshi/en/1/1/page/1

It's a comedy manga about a Yuri fanboy, and it's like this:

This is me:

I don't know if any real yuri happens, since it's mostly a joke manga, but I feel it is relevant to this thread. If you can put that aside and accept that the premise is literal male gaze, it's really fuckin funny.
Awesome, I read that a while back but forgot the name of it. Still no new updates. :sigh:

It is so relevant to this thread. :D

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 28, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That page is a thing of beauty.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not sure sure what to think of Yuri Danshi, the main character is obnoxious as gently caress, but that seems to be what they were going for, and the punch was great. Also I'm assuming it'll end up like Kiss Him, Not Me, but it runs in Yuri-Hime, so I dunno.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Razzled posted:

the best. do we know how often this one is going to get updated?

No idea about the translations, but the manga itself is on Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 comes out on Thursday.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
New chapter of Stretch posted: http://bato.to/read/_/347088/stretch_ch44_by_boon-scanlation

It better not be working towards an ending here...also lots of vague stuff here. You can infer what the moving thing is about even if it came out of nowhere, but since when did Keiko have a boyfriend to break up with in the first place?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stretch spoilers
I'm guessing it's the dude they met up accidentally with at bar a few chapters ago who i think was the guy she had a miscarriage with, I know this manga likes to be vague about stuff sometimes but drat all this is weird and sudden. Definitely heading towards the end too.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Stretch spoilers
I'm guessing it's the dude they met up accidentally with at bar a few chapters ago who i think was the guy she had a miscarriage with, I know this manga likes to be vague about stuff sometimes but drat all this is weird and sudden. Definitely heading towards the end too.

Yeah that's the obvious connection but assuming they did not in fact get back together and break up again off-screen between a couple chapters, which would make no sense, that's still a weird way to look at it.

We better get a good-end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Insurrectionist posted:

assuming they did not in fact get back together and break up again off-screen between a couple chapters

I'm kind of thinking that's exactly what happened, either way it's weird though

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Argh.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah that's the obvious connection but assuming they did not in fact get back together and break up again off-screen between a couple chapters, which would make no sense, that's still a weird way to look at it.

We better get a good-end.

My read on it was that they weren't together any more but never properly broke up, just drifted apart, so she talked to him to officially end it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thuryl posted:

My read on it was that they weren't together any more but never properly broke up, just drifted apart, so she talked to him to officially end it.

That was kinda how I interpreted that. It still feels like there are pieces missing though. I appreciate trying to tell a story obliquely but I don't think these past few chapters have been as successful with that as some of the earlier parts.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Thuryl posted:

Yeah this.

also, argh.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone read works by Hayakawa Nojiko? Her latest series Yoake ni Furu is adorable fluffy BL. I like her sketchy art style and stories that aren't PWP for it's genre :3:

Also, there's typically low to no drama in her relationships is always a nice change of pace.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Alder posted:

Anyone read works by Hayakawa Nojiko? Her latest series Yoake ni Furu is adorable fluffy BL. I like her sketchy art style and stories that aren't PWP for it's genre :3:

Also, there's typically low to no drama in her relationships is always a nice change of pace.

Yessss, Hayakawa Nojiko is the best. Yozora no Sumikko de is perfect imo.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

I've been so happy that a) it exists because the prequel series was fantastic and that b) it got some updates recently because IIRC it sat with one or two chapters translated and nothing else for months. If they ever get licensed I'd love to have a real copy.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I just binged through Koe no Katachi today. Goddamn that was some feels :unsmith:

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
Yeah the last few chapters of Stretch have been pretty vague. I've seen a bunch of people (here and elsewhere) genuinely confused about things I felt were pretty easy to figure out, so for the curious:

Keiko is almost certainly moving temporarily for work. (In Ch43, Saki and Ran discussed the question of whether she will have an accent when she comes back)

Keiko never broke things off with her ex (fiance? boyfriend? probably fiance), and she probably encountered Ran shortly after she kicked the ex out. You can tell they didn't part on good terms from the way those events were depicted (and the way he reacts when they meet at the bar). Ran knew about Keiko and her ex and was (un)subtly pushing her to work it out, which finally happened off-panel in one of the most recent chapters.

I'm kinda happy to see the author moving things along even if the amount of stuff happening off-panel is confusing. I almost think this works well - most of the stuff we don't see is stuff that wouldn't really be Ran's business, and we only get some bits of it because we see Keiko discussing things with Saki.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should probably read the whole thing again, I'm not used to manga being subtle. :v:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I should probably read the whole thing again, I'm not used to manga being subtle. :v:

I did this right after I read the latest chapter. It definitely clarified things.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The latest chapter made things seem awfully final if it's just a temporary move though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Keiko is going to Kansai for work, so they can't live together. Ran has gotten her own apartment, and so even if Keiko is going to come back before terribly long, their time as flatmates has come to an end.

Unless of course they consciously decide to move back in together, whether for romantic or platonic reasons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I guess. Dunno if it's just because I got no sleep but that chapter depressed the crap out of me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It was sad in a depressingly realistic way. A parting lacking drama, simply due to the currents of life.

I always thought I'd be out for the mangaka's blood if Stretch didn't turn yuri, but now I'd settle for a happy friendship ending.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I got the impression it wasn't the first time Keiko and her boyfriend/fiancé had split up, hence Saki's comment - this time she's really ended the relationship and she's moving away to seal the deal, rather than "oh, you told him off-panel."

Hopefully their relationship continues to develop or it'll be too sad. :(

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The latest chapter made things seem awfully final if it's just a temporary move though.

I see it as a chance for them to reach the ♥ next step ♥ in their relationship, as the distance can serve for them to notice their feelings are stronger than normal friends.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mikake no Nijuusei / The Faces of a Double Star

Classified as josei, but it isn't really a "hard" josei.
A totally normal high school girl meets by chance a totally normal genius scientist doing a totally normal teleportation experiment in the middle of street. Just the usual. Experiment fails, we have a new The Fly remake! Joking, experiment fails, we have an extra copy of the girl. She was copied, not moved.

It seems a light-hearted, quirky manga, and in fact it never leaves the light, fully nonchalant tone (and the protagonist isn't exactly the brightest bulb), but it soon shows there is a more serious side too, about her past.

That's the summary, but in the end I don't think it really meshes up both sides, the quirky and the serious, all that well and the resolution has a bit of mediocre execution and the final 'lesson' is somewhat bland.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, I thought I'd read that but it turns out there's another manga with the exact same description.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Sakurazuka posted:

Huh, I thought I'd read that but it turns out there's another manga with the exact same description.

Yeah that's crazy cause I thought I had read it too but apparently not. I think there are like at least two other mangas I've read that have like the same plot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Uwagaki

This was the one I was thinking off, it was pretty good.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Sakurazuka posted:

yeah, that's the one I was thinking of too. The other being about a girl who makes out with her reflection from the future or something.

Uwagaki was a decent read though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Heh. I also read that and even remembered it while I was reading Faces of a Double Star, because for the first chapter they are kind of similar.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Otoko no Isshou finally got another update. Looks like it got a movie adaption earlier this year: trailer
Wonder if anyone subbed it.

New chapter for Sekine's Love is on that link too btw.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nanairo Sekai

A one volume of short stories from Mizu Sahara, a renowned shojo/josei author.
I started this thinking I had not read it before, but in reality I already happened to read two of the four stories. Whatever, I just read it, this time all of it.

So as this author usually does in other short stories, it's mostly subdued but sweet romance stories, all around 40-50 pages. She uses a heavy dose of narration from the main character's perspective, to show the character's feelings and their way of seeing the world, sometimes to show how subjective each person's view is, and how sometimes love bloom thanks or despite that challenge.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
I know this isn't a recommendation thread, but you guys are the experts on the genre. I recently began watching Utena, and as I near the end of it I am wondering what an anime is that is similar to Utena? What I like about it is it's heavy use of metaphor, queer themes, and art direction, as well as the music. What is another anime that will give me the Utena feel? I have already queued up Yurikuma. I enjoyed Sailor Moon, although it was a little more shallow than Utena. Other favorites are Evangelion, Madouka, and Rahxephon. Any recs will be greatly appreciated.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

furiouskoala posted:

I have already queued up Yurikuma.

abort

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

That bad huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006