Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Octy posted:

Huh, really? This thing was reported on several mainstream news sources. I was just about to kill myself at the thought of a GoT movie, too.

It has also been openly talked about by HBO/D&D/etc that the show might get its conclusion via a movie instead of a normal series finale TV show. Though doing so would be a great way to set it all on fire because the idea of having to go to a movie theater to see the end of the TV show you've watched for years is about as massive a gently caress You you could possibly get. Plus it'd still just basically be 2-3 episodes just maybe with a bigger budget to spend on something other than good effects.

Yet it would probably still make a disgusting amount of money so I could see it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
From what I've read, HBO said a solid "no" to a movie finale because it would be unfair to their subscribers.

I think Gurm brought it up one time as a possibility on his blog, but Gurm doesn't get a say in HBO corporate decisions.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 1, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The idea of a GoT movie is mind-bogglingly stupid. How many fans of the show can be expected to give a poo poo to watch a random story loosely connected to the show, with none of the actors they followed for years? The only way I could see it kind of work would be if it served as a show finale, but as was said before, this would be such a big gently caress You to show watchers.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Grendels Dad posted:

The idea of a GoT movie is mind-bogglingly stupid. How many fans of the show can be expected to give a poo poo to watch a random story loosely connected to the show, with none of the actors they followed for years? The only way I could see it kind of work would be if it served as a show finale, but as was said before, this would be such a big gently caress You to show watchers.

Tell that to Gurm and his numerous standalone histories of House Targaryen and the very loosely related Dunk and Egg novellas. I'm not saying GoT prequels will be successful, but there's some to cause to think they might be.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Tell that to Gurm and his numerous standalone histories of House Targaryen and the very loosely related Dunk and Egg novellas. I'm not saying GoT prequels will be successful, but there's some to cause to think they might be.

Yeah, but the books aren't the show, and the show isn't movies. I find it hard to imagine that what people like about the show translates well to the big screen. I have less difficulty imagining spin-off shows, it's in the nature of TV that poo poo goes on in some way. And paper doesn't blush so Martin can write as many spin-offs and prequels as he likes.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If they did a Roberts Rebellion movie, they would probably change Aerys into a pedophile and include several scenes of him masturbating to burning children, just so there's zero ambiguity when Jamie finally stabs him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

counterfeitsaint posted:

If they did a Roberts Rebellion movie, they would probably change Aerys into a pedophile and include several scenes of him masturbating to burning children, just so there's zero ambiguity when Jamie finally stabs him.

There's pretty much zero ambiguity as is, though. Like yeah dude was captured and probably tortured earlier on but almost no one mentions that and your impression of Aerys for the first 4 books or so is "really crazy dude".

Max
Nov 30, 2002

computer parts posted:

There's pretty much zero ambiguity as is, though. Like yeah dude was captured and probably tortured earlier on but almost no one mentions that and your impression of Aerys for the first 4 books or so is "really crazy dude".

You could say the same about Meryn Trant, but they still needed to remind you why it was OK for Arya to take him out the way she did.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I would totally go see a movie based on GoT. I'd prefer one about the Eastern lands or something though. I'll be Westeros'ed out by the end of the series I'd think.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Make a movie entirely about Valyria, tia.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

counterfeitsaint posted:

They should film the real story: Jaime kills Aerys for kicks and to help daddy rape and pillage King's Landing more quickly. Years later, he makes up a story about being a poor, misunderstood hero to impress a lady who just gave him a boner.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
A movie about the Long Night might be the best of lovely options. The difference in time periods would let them go for significantly different visuals, and we know little enough about it that it might be interesting. Shame that the end of show/books is probably going to echo the Long Night, so it would be a little redundant.

edit: Instead of a movie set in Essos, how about one set in Sotheryos, could go for a medieval Jurassic Park, or do a story set in that one city that was only around for one generation before all the people vanished.

Pong Daddy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 1, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't think they should take away from the mysticism of the age of heroes - it'd be cheesy if they had to show mundane reasons for all that stuff, like bran the builder living hundreds of years or whatever.

Valyria would be better because it really is tangential to the story. (...probably) Maybe Nymeria and the Rhoynar migration would be cool also.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
The Doom of Valyria by Roland Emmerich.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Max posted:

You could say the same about Meryn Trant, but they still needed to remind you why it was OK for Arya to take him out the way she did.

I think that was more of an excuse for him to be alone with her. Plus it's sort of based on a book event with another character.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

computer parts posted:

I think that was more of an excuse for him to be alone with her. Plus it's sort of based on a book event with another character.

They took a pedophile that killed a kid and laughed about it, and sapped all the moral ambiguity from the scene by turning him into a pedophile that wacks kids with a stick.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lycus posted:

They took a pedophile that killed a kid and laughed about it, and sapped all the moral ambiguity from the scene by turning him into a pedophile that wacks kids with a stick.

Wait... So it's wrong to whack kids wi thsticks in GRRMs world? It seems pretty tame to me.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I just don't like that every named Kingsguard in the show is a terrible guy, show Meryn is such a massive piece of poo poo you just gotta wonder how such an awful guy got accepted into the guard under a guy like Selmy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Barristan = good guy
Meryn = bad guy
Jaime = morally ambiguous
Mandon = barely a character
Sandor = lovable rear end in a top hat
And a zombie.

And today's Not A Blog post is about the release of the next ASoIaF book later this month.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 2, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lycus posted:

Barristan = good guy
Meryn = bad guy
Jaime = morally ambiguous
Mandon = barely a character
Sandor = lovable rear end in a top hat
And a zombie.

And today's Not A Blog post is about the release of the next ASoIaF book later this month.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahah

That almost got me. The blog is comedy gold though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I just don't like that every named Kingsguard in the show is a terrible guy, show Meryn is such a massive piece of poo poo you just gotta wonder how such an awful guy got accepted into the guard under a guy like Selmy.

Selmy doesn't get to override the King's decision on, well, anything though and if Cersei tells her son to make X a Kingsguard then X is going to be a Kingsguard.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

who cares about ASOIAF when this mother loving fucker is coming to gently caress your skull, thats right wildcards:

DOWN & DIRTY, the fifth volume of the original series. The official pubdate is OCTOBER 27.

with a story by your grrmly! "All the Kings Horses". I'm hoping it involves some serious horse cawk.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Is that Wild Cards about a young girl that lives on the streets and skinchanges into cats?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lycus posted:

Is that Wild Cards about a young girl that lives on the streets and skinchanges into cats?

Cat of the Canals.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cat of the Canals.

It's Wild Cards so she's Cat of the Carnals.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bad Pussy of the Carnals.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Bad Pussy and the Anals

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

kcroy posted:

who cares about ASOIAF when this mother loving fucker is coming to gently caress your skull, thats right wildcards:

DOWN & DIRTY, the fifth volume of the original series. The official pubdate is OCTOBER 27.

It was a brilliant ploy to keep people upset and distracted while he announced the next installment of ASOIAF:

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Game-Thrones-Coloring-Book/dp/1101965762/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1443722280&sr=1-2

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TommyGun85 posted:

Bad Pussy and the Anals

Queen of the Anals and the Fisting Men

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

These are some good band names.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
Whore-Den of Peter North

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Children of the.... wait nevermind.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

TK-42-1 posted:

Children of the.... wait nevermind.

Bran is like numb from the waist down except when he is all warging Hodor and poo poo. Think about it, GRRM has. In detail. Not that he'd publish or finish a book in fifteen years or anything.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

:golfclap:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Part of me wants to see this sketch redone with Gwendoline Christie and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau in those poses. The rest of me wants to murder that part.

E: I love how the background relief is a feast table. Well done :golfclap:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is there more to this than I'm seeing? Is that image from something that makes it funnier?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krinkle posted:

Is there more to this than I'm seeing? Is that image from something that makes it funnier?

it is just an oft admired piece of fan art.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've yet to see fan-art better than it and the only thing that comes close is anime brandon the builder loving that blue woman on the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Aurain posted:

I've yet to see fan-art better than it and the only thing that comes close is anime brandon the builder loving that blue woman on the wall.

if the jamie knocking the cup video counts as fan-art, it's on the list