Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

There's a ton of canon info that's only found in some weird game they made, such as references to the black and white eggs and where they came from.

They really should have included that stuff in the platinum edition. It's like instead of showing who Luke Skywalker's father is in the film, they showed it in some weird unknown extended universe game.

Hmm no not really.

No not really at all.

It'd be more like if they didn't tell you the name of the planet where the at ats were manufactured.

Oh wait they dont tell you that anyways. I wonder why they left out that absolutely crucial information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Except for Unit 0 and Rei but that's a giant :can:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Except for Unit 0 and Rei but that's a giant :can:

Yeah Unit 0 is kind of ambiguous. Also I think it's generally agreed that Shinji's mom willingly became EVA-01?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Like a lot of things in Eva, it's very vague though. Rei was a clone and the most likely candidate for the soul in Unit 00 was Ritsuko's mum who hated the Rei's so it's possible that it only needs an emotional connection even if it's a negative one. Also Touji was presumably able to pilot Unit 04(?), did that have the soul of someone close to him in, is that only necessary to pilot well, or was the presence of the Angel in it the whole time what allowed it to move?

Rule of thumb is that every straight answer you look for only throws up more questions.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Touji piloted Unit 03, and it was implied to be infected by Bardiel during its transport to Japan, when we get that weird shot of the plane flying through some spooky clouds.

The general consensus in the fandom seems to be that Unit 03 has Touji's mother's soul. Unit 0 seems to be the only possible outlier- personally I always thought she was made from Rei 1.

Here's a more important question: why was Unit 0 yellow and then blue?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 12, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rei 1 makes more sense sync ratio wise but less in the punching the poo poo out of the control room to get at the current Rei sense.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Rei 1 makes more sense sync ratio wise but less in the punching the poo poo out of the control room to get at the current Rei sense.

Was Unit 0 going after Rei? I thought Unit 0 was going after Ritsuko, thinking she was her mother.

I need to rewatch this show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could be right, I hope the simulwatch goes ahead soon because I haven't watched it in long enough that the details are starting to get fuzzy.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Here's a more important question: why was Unit 0 yellow and then blue?

I'm assuming it had something to do with suffering extensive damage during the fight with proton-cannon angel so they just decided to go ahead and completely outfit it for combat capabilities (it was only a test unit up until that point).

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
What about all those white EVAs with creepy smiles that Asuka fought in End of Evangelion? Did those even have pilots?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Misato says all the children in Shinji's class (year of graduation). But I think basically it's said by kaworu that Eva's are empty shells if they don't have a soul. When he takes over unit 2 he says its soul is dormant or something. Rei pilots unit 0 because her soul is in it. Her soul being the soul of Lilith, I think?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Wasn't Unit 00 under some kind of proto dummy plug control?

e:

Starsnostars posted:

What about all those white EVAs with creepy smiles that Asuka fought in End of Evangelion? Did those even have pilots?

They were definitely dummy plug controlled. Kaworu in this case.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 12, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Starsnostars posted:

Kaworu-based dummy plugs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Starsnostars posted:

No, they used the refined dummy plug system, notice they have much less human characteristics and basically acted like animals.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So Nerv essentially houses Adam and whenever they make an Eva they take a clump of its big white mass and stretch it out and mix it with a dead person's corpse. So in order to pilot an Eva efficiently the soul must be familiar with whoever is piloting it and the stronger the connection the better the performance.

If this is true, then why doesn't Shinji's father pilot the Eva instead of putting his son at such dangerous risk?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 12, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

punk rebel ecks posted:

If is is true, then why doesn't Shinji's father pilot the Eva instead of putting his son at such dangerous risk?

Have you finished the series yet?

e: Not to discourage you, because what you just asked is about a million times more important and relevant than all the bullshit about souls and ancient aliens, but I also kind of suspect the answer isn't of the kind you're asking for.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 12, 2015

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Yui fuckin hates Gendo lol

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Nerv essentially houses Adam and whenever they make an Eva they take a clump of its big white mass and stretch it out and mix it with a dead person's corpse. So in order to pilot an Eva efficiently the soul must be familiar with whoever is piloting it and the stronger the connection the better the performance.

If this is true, then why doesn't Shinji's father pilot the Eva instead of putting his son at such dangerous risk?

Probably because a mother's love is the stronger connection.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

She doesn't hate him, she just has bigger plans and higher priorities.

Gendo has a massive inferiority complex, doesn't think anyone but Yui could ever love him, and antagonizes everyone except Fuyutsuki (who arguably only puts up with him for Yui's sake anyways) because all he cares about is getting Yui back and he'll exploit anyone to make that happen. Shinji is no exception.

Yui in the mean time cares more about Shinji than anyone else and half the reason she went into Unit-01 in the first place was for his sake (the other half being that SEELE was going to murder her if she didn't find a way to remove herself from the playing field.) So putting Shinji in the robot is the best way to get her attention / get her to cooperate.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Spoilered in case you haven't watched the whole series, but it's not Adam in the basement, it's Lilith. And since Man is the child of Lilith, it's implied that the Eva are mankind creating and enslaving horrific, giant versions of themselves to save themselves from the children of Adam, essentially acting as a monstrous and distorted image of Lilith herself, which further implies that humanity may not be worth saving after all.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Sorry did I say hate I meant ate :mrgw:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why would SEELE kill Yui? "Outlived" her usefulness like Ritsuko's mom?

Hmm, kind of related, I always interpreted the scene where Dr. Akagi tries to (succeeds at?) strangling lil' Rei as something that wasn't planned. Rei acting on her own volition, wanting to get rid of Dr. Akagi because she was between her and Gendo, I dunno. But what if that was the plan, and Rei played into their hands just like Kaworu does. Their being SEELE, I suppose. Or actually probably not SEELE because there's a lot of evidence that Rei was "made by" Gendo: among them is her resemblance to Yui.

Anyways that scene is hosed up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Why would SEELE kill Yui? "Outlived" her usefulness like Ritsuko's mom?

Because she had access to the Dead Sea Scrolls and the prophecy, and knew enough (and/or had enough influence) to derail their plan and implement one of her own. So it's not even so much "outlived her usefulness" as it is that she was actively opposing them.

(It's helpful to remember that Yui is introduced as a "metaphysical biologist" and she was Fuyutsuki's star pupil. She's basically the world's foremost expert on tampering with the soul and building gods.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 12, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I think I'm going to rewatch this series.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think I'm going to rewatch this series.

Get the director's cut, especially if you didn't the first time around. A bunch of this stuff is made much clearer there.

I think there's also some translation screwiness with the dub but I haven't watched the dub in almost a decade so I don't really remember.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 12, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

have the morons finished with the blu ray episodes yet?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Up to episode 18 last time I looked (about an hour ago).

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

She doesn't hate him, she just has bigger plans and higher priorities.

I don't know, EoE kind of suggests she hates him for the way he interacted with Shinji. Or Rei 3 hated him. Or he hated himself. But the way he went out was pretty bleak.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Gendo was like the one guy who didn't get to join the rest of humanity in the sea of tang, I dunno if she and Rei hated him or not but they sure didn't forgive him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Gendo was like the one guy who didn't get to join the rest of humanity in the sea of tang, I dunno if she and Rei hated him or not but they sure didn't forgive him.

It kind of depends on what being eaten by Unit-01 signifies. Yui was "eaten" by it and became its inhabitant. Also, the Instrumentality figments (when they're not just Rei) seem to have more to do with the individual's projected understanding of the person they love, rather than that person as they are -- Maya sees Ritsuko type something on her keyboard, Hyuga sees Misato embrace him, etc, even though those people are having their own experiences at the same time (or possibly even out of order, I'd have to go back and look.)

Plus, throughout the series Yui repeatedly encourages Shinji (as a phantom in his cockpit visions) to make a real effort to understand his father, even scolds him when he refuses in one instance. She also defends Gendo to Fuyutsuki in one of the flashbacks. Rei III refuses to obey Gendo, but apart from reclaiming Adam she's pretty dispassionate about it, and Rei's motivations aren't necessarily Yui's even if there's some blurring there on Rei's side.

Overall I'd hazard that either he was taken bodily into Unit-01, or he got tanged like everyone else and just experienced it in an especially traumatic way due to his own self-loathing and confusion about Yui's motives.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Should I rewatch the series now via Platinum Edition or should I wait for the Blu-Ray remastered version?

Is the Platinum version 16:9 or 4:3?

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Grandpa's got his groove back
Both Platinum DVD and the Blu-Rei editions are in 4:3 for the series.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I kinda took the Gendo getting eaten bit to represent Gendo's own self-condemnation. He' been driven and self-righteous up until this point but still rejects any possibility of salvation through Instrumentality. So in effect I'd imagine that he either was not Tanged or if he was he's basically in his own hell now.

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Oh, I forgot the 16mm negative of episode 16 is gone so looks like we got an upscale of the DVD version of that episode. :psyduck:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yatsuha posted:

Oh, I forgot the 16mm negative of episode 16 is gone so looks like we got an upscale of the DVD version of that episode. :psyduck:

fuuuuck

Yatsuha
Sep 7, 2005

Zas posted:

fuuuuck

Yeah, it's pretty dumb since they had scanned in a 1080i version the episodes back for the Renewal release and then went down to 480p. So instead of using the 35mm blow up they had left they just used the same poo poo for the BR release for that episode. It REALLY sticks out now.

Screen comparison from Sephirotic because I am too lazy to do it myself for all the different releases. Apparently the broadcast version on the dvd boxes had better colours blahblahblah but it still looks like poo poo.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Yatsuha posted:

Yeah, it's pretty dumb since they had scanned in a 1080i version the episodes back for the Renewal release and then went down to 480p. So instead of using the 35mm blow up they had left they just used the same poo poo for the BR release for that episode. It REALLY sticks out now.

Screen comparison from Sephirotic because I am too lazy to do it myself for all the different releases. Apparently the broadcast version on the dvd boxes had better colours blahblahblah but it still looks like poo poo.

Man, that still of Misato yelling is so awkward and '90s.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Yatsuha posted:

hahaha oh my god

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
In those comparisons, which version is the newer one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

esselfortium posted:

In those comparisons, which version is the newer one?

The one that looks better! :v: