Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

A better non-Batman Batman show would be to do a show about like low-level criminals and regular cops in Gotham where you'd never actually see any iconic characters. Like at most the cops would see Commissioner Gordon walk out of his office and there'd be brief glimpse of a cape going out the window behind him.

or at very least it would be a lot less pandering.

You could have the cops plant an undercover in one of the gangs, he starts to work up the ladder a bit, then gets into the upper-club where he can start seeing the head guy (penguin? Joker? give some inspirational speeches before a crime spree, then it could go a few different ways; his handler could be killed in a big raid so nobody knows his identity and you get some stuff like The Departed, or he could grow to like the life of crime, etc. Then the next season could follow a different low level character, maybe a detective, trying to piece together the investigation with just a few clues, and sometimes hindered/helped by Batman getting to a lead a few minutes before the cop can. Basically just try taking the premise seriously of what a normal person might do in that crazy world, instead of just making the crazy people the leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GonSmithe posted:

Under the Dome finally got cancelled.
Well that happened entirely too late, but thank god. Good riddance.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Meanwhile, American Horror Story is still farting around Ryan Murphy's wet dreams.

And I'm still watching hoping it gets good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Meanwhile loving Heroes is back on the air.

:sludgepal:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kiimo posted:

Meanwhile loving Heroes is back on the air.

:sludgepal:

Well since you mentioned it...

Is Heroes Reborn worth a goddamn? I saw a trailer and thought it looked like Hideo Kojima jizzed in a wishing well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Is Heroes Reborn worth a goddamn? I saw a trailer and thought it looked like Hideo Kojima jizzed in a wishing well.

There is no way it has any of the fun of a hideo game

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

What does that even mean

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

?????????????????

what the hell is it with CD today with weirdass jabs that make absolutely no sense at all

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

?????????????????

what the hell is it with CD today with weirdass jabs that make absolutely no sense at all

here i saved you the obvious joke: actually that's CD everyday

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In Heroes Reborn, there's a Japanese woman whose power is to apparently enter a video game her father made. When this happens, it's presented as CG animated sequences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVRhJ1joGCQ

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I liked the original Heroes, but literally the only way I know the reboot has even started is that apparently one of my dad's coworkers is really confused by it because he hadn't seen the original.

Which is honestly weird to me, because even at its craziest Heroes was never that hard to follow, it was just stupid. Needing to know the original show to understand a reboot sounds like a really big storytelling failure, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

In Heroes Reborn, there's a Japanese woman whose power is to apparently enter a video game her father made. When this happens, it's presented as CG animated sequences.

What the gently caress?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The MSJ posted:

That is straight from the 90s.

Also katana girl, WTF.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The original Heroes wasn't even that good, it just came out at a time when superhero stuff was relatively uncommon and before LOST and its endless copycats inoculated people against big mystery plots that go nowhere and fizzle out since they're just making it up as they go along.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I liked the original Heroes, but literally the only way I know the reboot has even started is that apparently one of my dad's coworkers is really confused by it because he hadn't seen the original.

Which is honestly weird to me, because even at its craziest Heroes was never that hard to follow, it was just stupid. Needing to know the original show to understand a reboot sounds like a really big storytelling failure, though.

It's not actually a reboot, more like a sequel with mostly new characters. The protagonist is Glasses Guy from the first Heroes investigating a terrorist attack blamed on Dr Suresh that killed Cheerleader Chloe, he met the Haitian guy in the first episode, Katana Girl there is wielding Hiro Nakamura's sword, and that little girl Molly that has mutant GPS powers is a plot device and also totally hot now.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The first season of Heroes was good even with the very weak finale. After that it became unwatchable.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Not even that really. Each episode of the first season was pretty mediocre. But the last five minutes would invariably throw out something that seemed incredible and made you wait for the next episode where it would be either ignored or turn to poo poo.

The best thing I can say about the reboot is that despite looking forward for a 'season 8 Dexter' style hate watch, I don't actually hate this. It's not very good, let's be frank. But nobody's leaving their girlfriends in the future and Sylar isn't cycling between good and evil faster than you can blink.

Mohinder may still appear to hold doors closed during epic finales, though.

With almost everyone returning from the first series, there's still time for the series creator Kring to turn the behind the scenes stuff into the toxic wasteland it was with the original series where all the writers hated each other and would deliberately gently caress with other writer's pet characters and give them scenes which went nowhere or contradicted earlier scenes or were just outright gibberish.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 13, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

effectual posted:

You could have the cops plant an undercover in one of the gangs, he starts to work up the ladder a bit, then gets into the upper-club where he can start seeing the head guy (penguin? Joker? give some inspirational speeches before a crime spree, then it could go a few different ways; his handler could be killed in a big raid so nobody knows his identity and you get some stuff like The Departed, or he could grow to like the life of crime, etc. Then the next season could follow a different low level character, maybe a detective, trying to piece together the investigation with just a few clues, and sometimes hindered/helped by Batman getting to a lead a few minutes before the cop can. Basically just try taking the premise seriously of what a normal person might do in that crazy world, instead of just making the crazy people the leads.

Just read Gotham Central ffs.

It deals with being a show about Gotham Cops in not just a Batman-filled world but an entire DC-Superhero filled world and pulls it off without feeling like it's pandering too hard to one style.

Here's a very truncated bit of one storyarc:

Break

Break

Break

Break (basically they figure out Freeze is going to gently caress with the Air Conditioning at a graduation ceremony that former Comissioner Gordon is speaking at and the detectives need to call in SWAT/Batman before he kills everyone)

Break

It's not Shakespeare, but it's not hard to imagine a show like this flying on a cable network/online service.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Not even that really. Each episode of the first season was pretty mediocre. But the last five minutes would invariably throw out something that seemed incredible and made you wait for the next episode where it would be either ignored or turn to poo poo.

Thank god I'm not alone in thinking this. Maybe it's just that I've read way too much in the superhero genre but nothing about Heroes was novel except for the fact that it had a varied multi-cultural cast and Abrams' "punt the carrot"-style hooks to make everything seem much more interesting than it is.

quote:

With almost everyone returning from the first series, there's still time for the series creator Kring to turn the behind the scenes stuff into the toxic wasteland it was with the original series where all the writers hated each other and would deliberately gently caress with other writer's pet characters and give them scenes which went nowhere or contradicted earlier scenes or were just outright gibberish.

I would genuinely watch if this was like, the overall "premise" of a show. Get a bunch of geek writers in a room, give them all time to design their pet favorite characters that co-exist in service of some bigger story, then watch as they backbite each other episode by episode until the show is incomprehensible.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Nope. I kept hearing 'Oh yeah it's better now', so me and my friend sat down to watch the first episode and I honestly never felt like they missed a beat. I mean, they say 'reborn' but it's not really, it's just jumped ahead a few years and carried on as normal. By the time loving Mohinder started up his narration again I was out.

Also, iZombie is the best zombie show. It shouldn't in any way shape or form work, but it does thanks to the writing and performances. Plus people liberally throw the word 'Zombie' around and it's OK. Plus the villain has this great capitalist plan that he's got going on.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Also, iZombie is the best zombie show. It shouldn't in any way shape or form work, but it does thanks to the writing and performances. Plus people liberally throw the word 'Zombie' around and it's OK. Plus the villain has this great capitalist plan that he's got going on.

I scoffed at this show being any good, and it's my favorite CW show now. (Flash is a very close second)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I kind of want to watch a show about this, instead. An hour of complete assholes behind the scenes of a TV show constantly loving each other over for no other reason than petty spite and maybe the hope of a better paycheck. Like It's Always Sunny mixed with 30 Rock.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If you don't mind waiting a few weeks, I may still be able to recommend Heroes as just exactly that.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I quite liked the first season of Heroes though a lot of it had to do with being in a first year animation class with like 20 who watched it which made it a lot better.

The second episode is literally Hiro throwing a fit because he can't rent a Nissan Versa like in the future comic and they scream the name so many times that I still loving remember it all these years later.

Season two was absolute dogshit and I have a feeling the writers strike wasn't the only reason for it. I can't remember if Peter dying and waking up in Cork was after that season or not. But those were the worst Irish accents (they were like if all the new Yorkers in your show talked like rednecks, wrong part of the country) which is even worse because I think one was Aiden Gillen. And then he left his lady in future plague New York, promptly forgot about her and then erased that timeline.

Zachary Quinto was fuckin dope though

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Season two was absolute dogshit and I have a feeling the writers strike wasn't the only reason for it. I can't remember if Peter dying and waking up in Cork was after that season or not. But those were the worst Irish accents (they were like if all the new Yorkers in your show talked like rednecks, wrong part of the country) which is even worse because I think one was Aiden Gillen. And then he left his lady in future plague New York, promptly forgot about her and then erased that timeline.
Yeah, that was the start of the second season. I'll always remember how they tried to keep the big "end of episode mystery" thing going by having Peter lose his memory, then these guys have this box of stuff that might give him hints. The promotional material was all "WHAT IS IN THE BOX?" like this was the next big "save the cheerleader, save the world" mystery arc.

They gave him the box next episode; turns out his wallet was in there. Mystery solved!

Poster tax:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

The original Heroes wasn't even that good, it just came out at a time when superhero stuff was relatively uncommon and before LOST and its endless copycats inoculated people against big mystery plots that go nowhere and fizzle out since they're just making it up as they go along.

No, it was after Lost. Before the first season they directly addressed that they weren't going to be the "type of show that doesn't tell you anything like Lost".

You monkeys wish you could write anything remotely comparable to Lost. The first season was fun. The rest was insultingly bad.

NISSAN ROGUE.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Better superpowers show than Heroes.

(well, first two series, anyway)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Woebin posted:

Better superpowers show than Heroes.

(well, first two series, anyway)

I enjoyed it the whole way through. Quality definitely dipped as they rotated through characters, but the split personality guy carried that show on his back for a while.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I actually dug the later seasons once they stopped focusing on Goonlord McStareface and his Goonlord McStare face, but I totally see why others would hate the newer characters.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Here are some movie posters for the movie poster thread

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I actually dug the later seasons once they stopped focusing on Goonlord McStareface and his Goonlord McStare face, but I totally see why others would hate the newer characters.

My main issue was that the immortal kid wasn't on the show anymore. The gag with him dying every week was great.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MacheteZombie posted:

My main issue was that the immortal kid wasn't on the show anymore. The gag with him dying every week was great.

Yeah Rudy was alright but none of the other characters ever approached Nathan's charismatic dickery.

I really like all three of these posters, from the "ripped from the newspapers" images to the typeset and font and logo. The hashtag kind of throws it off but that can't really be helped these days.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah it's especially sad because it's not like the kid's career really took off after leaving the show, but it was clear he left because he was getting too big for his britches and thought it would. Oddly Goonlord McStareface is the one who "hit it big" thanks to Game of Thrones.

King Vidiot posted:

I really like all three of these posters, from the "ripped from the newspapers" images to the typeset and font and logo. The hashtag kind of throws it off but that can't really be helped these days.

I dig them. I especially dig that the gravity of what's happening in them overshadows any need for an actor's name or tagline.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They hosed up by not getting Miles Teller for this.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah it's especially sad because it's not like the kid's career really took off after leaving the show, but it was clear he left because he was getting too big for his britches and thought it would. Oddly Goonlord McStareface is the one who "hit it big" thanks to Game of Thrones.
Oh, is that what happened? It's a shame, he was both cute and charismatic, neither of which can be said for the guy playing Rudy. Not like the guy playing Simon (Goonlord McStareface) was bad, really, he was just saddled with playing superpowered Ian Curtis junior.

Anyway here's a poo poo poster I don't remember seeing posted.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If someone corrects the tilt on that it might almost look ok for a poster. As-is I honestly got slightly nauseous just looking at it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He looks like a drat idiot.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

My dad uses a holster for his cell phone too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Once again going to prove that the entire Hitman franchise is loving dumb if you're not playing Blood Money or Contracts and ignoring the plot.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

oh boy, i hope the hitman movie has a lot of gun pointing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I hope it has 4 hit men stand in a square and decide to formally eschew their guns and then take out swords and fight to death in a subway.