Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

I thought only the 1/100 had those.

Nope, HGs too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It might? The Grazes and the Barbatos have different skeletons for sure, but the Hyakuri and Hyakuren are still a mystery. They might use the Gundam frame or the Graze frame, or maybe a new one. I assume the Gusion will use the Gundam frame, but what about the Man Rodi? Who knows!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

It might? The Grazes and the Barbatos have different skeletons for sure, but the Hyakuri and Hyakuren are still a mystery. They might use the Gundam frame or the Graze frame, or maybe a new one. I assume the Gusion will use the Gundam frame, but what about the Man Rodi? Who knows!!

The Man Rhodi's gotta be its own thing, the shoulders are too broad otherwise. Even then though, they're still getting two kits out of it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Graze is loving sick and I miss full metal panic

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, just when I think I can't bring myself to love the Xi anymore, they make this

It even has an extra foot just for it. :kimchi:

muike posted:

The Graze is loving sick and I miss full metal panic

I'm sad that the FMP kits are stuck on Koto, I would do terrible things for a bandai Arbalest or Laevatein.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You know, just when I think I can't bring myself to love the Xi anymore, they make this

Man, talk about a third leg :v:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Yeah as someone who owns a Koto FMP kit, I'd pay crazy money for a Bandai one. I just finished moving today and had problems reposing him because he was fragile.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

MG Altron adds Wufei's ridiculous safari outfit thing as its pilot figure. :allears:

I can't really tell from this image whether or not those are seams or panel lines, but I'm going to hope it's the latter.

Anyways, like I was whining about a while back you will need to buy some extra stuff to get the most out of this kit. They were nice enough to provide little stand things at least, but they're at a fixed height. You'll need either two AB2 or better yet some RD stands to really make this kit show its stuff.

I wonder if they'll announce Heavyarms or Sandrock next.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Those look somewhat unaligned to me, so seams I guess?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Those are definitely seams, you can tell in the action shot.

Is the HG Guntank any good or should I hold out for a revive model? I kinda want to put that White Base Launch Bay thing together.

edit: oh wait it's like 100 bucks never mind

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I got interested in this hobby the past week! I've been wanting to build models. When I was a child I had a Sandrock and Deathscythe that I built but I treated them like toys and not models. I'm hoping now, in my older age, I can give them a bit more respect.

This is how I'm getting into model building in general and eventually I want to make custom paint jobs and dioramas, but I'm starting small. I bought myself Norris Packard's Gouf Custom and I bought my brother Denial Gundam from Build Fighters because he was in love with the design. But they're going to be a while before they get shipped here, so my brother and I are going to a local hobby shop tomorrow to get some other models. I'm wanting to find a nice grunt model, even just a plain old GM would be great, I'm just looking forward to building.

Per the Gunpla 101 guides, I picked up a pair of hobby snippers and a set of tweezers that had one with bent tips. Getting a little box cutter from work that I can use as a craft knife, as well as some emory boards which I think I can use to sand things down. Would the emory boards be fine or would they be too harsh? I have one that's kind of gritty and one that isn't all that gritty. Any other recommended tools?

I'm seeing the discussion about seams here and it's something I'd like to learn to avoid. Is there a way to combat them aside from careful building -- would one have to fill in the seams with putty and paint over them?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

GM Cold Districts type. First actual gunpla i've done in a while, but I saw it on a shelf in NY and i've always loved the look of the GMs from 0080. Surprisingly simple engineering, even for a High Grade, but i suppose it was one of the earlier examples of the HG line.

systemchronos
Apr 11, 2015

John Quixote posted:

I'm seeing the discussion about seams here and it's something I'd like to learn to avoid. Is there a way to combat them aside from careful building -- would one have to fill in the seams with putty and paint over them?

Seams or seamline can't be avoided. It is inherent on the design of the build. Good build design can make seams hidden or looks like panel lining, but bad design where two parts just snapped together (like in the picture of MG Altron up above) will make it really obvious.

There is no way to get rid of seams other than cement and putty.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Triggerhappypilot posted:

GM Cold Districts type. First actual gunpla i've done in a while, but I saw it on a shelf in NY and i've always loved the look of the GMs from 0080. Surprisingly simple engineering, even for a High Grade, but i suppose it was one of the earlier examples of the HG line.

Hope you had fun getting the gun to stay. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

John Quixote posted:

Would the emory boards be fine or would they be too harsh? I have one that's kind of gritty and one that isn't all that gritty. Any other recommended tools?

Emory boards are used for finger nails, right? They're probably fine.

Also you might want something to panel line with. Consider a Gundam Marker if you're just starting out, they do work.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

closeted republican posted:

I was considering outright replacing the forearms with the double jointed ones of the GM Sniper II because they're very similar, but on the other hand it's a GM. Spray and pray is the only way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I was considering outright replacing the forearms with the double jointed ones of the GM Sniper II because they're very similar, but on the other hand it's a GM. Spray and pray is the only way.

Sadly, the GM Sniper II doesn't have double jointed forearms. It's one of the few real complaints I have about the kit.

You'd need something else if you wanted to improve the elbows.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For what it's worth, I think it looks good that way. Like it's standing at rest on-guard, but ready to draw if necessary.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Yeah that's early HG alright. Those leg seamlines...

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm sad that the FMP kits are stuck on Koto, I would do terrible things for a bandai Arbalest or Laevatein.

Bandai Savage, Shadow and Codarl / Venom HG kits please :negative:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

I ended up clipping the stock off mine so it could hold the drat thing two-handed (without a shield) like it does in 0080. Never regretted it either, since it means I can leave the shield off permanently.

Also the RGM-79D is the best GM variant. :3:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I have like five unfinished projects and here I am putting on waterslides. My desk is a robot graveyard. :negative:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I have like five unfinished projects and here I am putting on waterslides. My desk is a robot graveyard. :negative:

man, those decals are a couple paragraphs short of a tolstoy novel.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Maybe I'm just clumsy, but I often have trouble trimming the nubs from beam saber blades without the piece bending . What should I be doing to get it right?
I asked this a few pages ago and didn't get any responses, and as I've worn at my backlog I'm wanting more and more to build my G-Lucifer that's got so many beam sabers and would be slightly ruined by messing them up. Anyone got any advice, or do I just need to try harder gentler?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You should have seen some of Samuel's early work. Dude literally copy/pasted from the Gundam Wiki.

By the way, somebody on eBay is selling an assembled MG Wing verKa for basically $30. That's literally cheaper than the unassembled kit so uh, if you ever really wanted one then go for it?

I'd be tempted if it weren't for the fact I like the TV design better.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

You should have seen some of Samuel's early work. Dude literally copy/pasted from the Gundam Wiki.

By the way, somebody on eBay is selling an assembled MG Wing verKa for basically $30. That's literally cheaper than the unassembled kit so uh, if you ever really wanted one then go for it?

Jesus Christ. Don't tell Katoki about those, or else we're all hosed.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Don't assembled kits always sell for less than unassembled kits?

Because why would anybody buy an already assembled kit?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

To be entirely fair to him, the Sazabi has so much empty space on it you could very well fit a book on it. :v:

boom boom boom posted:

Don't assembled kits always sell for less than unassembled kits?

Because why would anybody buy an already assembled kit?

It's pretty common to make a kit, paint it, then sell it for a markup. Some guys can get some pretty silly prices on the strength of their name alone!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 18, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

1st Stage Midboss posted:

I asked this a few pages ago and didn't get any responses, and as I've worn at my backlog I'm wanting more and more to build my G-Lucifer that's got so many beam sabers and would be slightly ruined by messing them up. Anyone got any advice, or do I just need to try harder gentler?

What I do is I hold the saber flat with one hand so the nub is as close to cutting board as possible, and then I make soft sawing motions to get the nub off.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

To be entirely fair to him, the Sazabi has so much empty space on it you could very well fit a book on it. :v:

It's pretty common to make a kit, paint it, then sell it for a markup. Some guys can get some pretty silly prices on the strength of their name alone!

Assembled and well painted is different. Why would anybody buy just a plain snap-build?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BlitzBlast posted:

The Wing Ver Ka should also come with a disclaimer.

It literally cannot hold it's own rifle without modification.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Assembled and well painted is different. Why would anybody buy just a plain snap-build?

When you see built but unpainted or poorly painted it's rarely more expensive than an unbuilt kit for that reason.

I might buy a straight snap build at a discount if I planned to take it down for parts and had a specific purpose in mind.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

1) They want a kit but don't have the time to build one nor the money to afford a fully painted one.
2) They have a project in mind and would like to skip the building step and get right to customizing.
3) They want spare parts.

Take your pick.

Anyways you'd still think they'd at least try and break even with the model kit's base price.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

1) They want a kit but don't have the time to build one nor the money to afford a fully painted one.
2) They have a project in mind and would like to skip the building step and get right to customizing.
3) They want spare parts.

Take your pick.

Anyways you'd still think they'd at least try and break even with the model kit's base price.

That's a hard sell to anyone in your category 2 or 3 because they're the most sensitive to errors in construction and/or missing parts. If I'm paying the same price, I may as well get one that I know is going to have everything, and if I'm customizing or parting then I'm probably going to have to take the thing apart anyway so there's often negligible time savings. So far there don't appear to be enough mecha fans who hit the sweet spot of "no time to build+not enough money to buy a nicely painted kit" for a construction markup to be effective.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Midjack posted:

That's a hard sell to anyone in your category 2 or 3 because they're the most sensitive to errors in construction and/or missing parts. If I'm paying the same price, I may as well get one that I know is going to have everything, and if I'm customizing or parting then I'm probably going to have to take the thing apart anyway so there's often negligible time savings. So far there don't appear to be enough mecha fans who hit the sweet spot of "no time to build+not enough money to buy a nicely painted kit" for a construction markup to be effective.

no time to build + not enough money to buy a painted kit + aren't happy with a Robot Damashii

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I won't say I'll never commission or buy a well done painted/detailed build of my favorite kit. I'm a pretty mediocre builder myself and one day I might just want a knockout displaypiece.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kit idea: Build a Sazabi ver ka with passages from Cannery Row as decals!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Kit idea: Build a Sazabi ver ka with passages from Cannery Row as decals!

Hell, build a Hazel with passages from Watership Down

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

At some point I'll say I'm done with something and actually mean it. Having something to break up the large empty patches is very nice. This is the first time I've ever had non-precut decals, and despite the whole extra effort of precision cutting, it went way faster just by virtue of coming undone from the backing way faster.

A lot of it is also total nonsense. Some stuff about a Grand Slam Award going to MS teams or something? And the big one on the back left wing is just a general Gundam series summary from wikipedia. I guess it's like BB said, it's an earlier work from SD, but I actually kinda like the weird text blocks.

boom boom boom posted:

Hell, build a Hazel with passages from Watership Down

I would totally do this. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

For greco at least there was a hot minute where people were flipping finished Montero's to OLs that loved klim Nick and wanted klim Nick merchandise but didn't want to build a kit.

Powerful bishounen thirst.