Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco Update: he has migrated, and promoted himself from Guardian of the Mouse Hand to Cleaner of the Ear.

edit: have a picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Just tip her out if you're really worried

GoldStandardConure posted:

Taco Update: he has migrated, and promoted himself from Guardian of the Mouse Hand to Cleaner of the Ear.

edit: have a picture

He looked like a thumb size miniature bird in the thumbnail

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

(Looks back at one-way-mirror) "Officer, I think Mr. Schnickety and I are done here. Show him his room."

But I'm a chick! These pics are so BAD! :negative:

Seriously, jade, next time crop out my face. You have potatoshop, you can use it for things that aren't trains, you know.

Gaj posted:

THE GODDAMN COLOR. A Healthy Bird is a Bright Bird.
He's, like, super friendly, too (which was a pleasant surprise considering that the friend we're fostering him for was like, "He can be territorial" and "He went after my dad a couple times."). He's also become instantly attached to me (by magic?). He was trying to feed the back of my ear shortly after those awful, terrible, no good pictures were taken.

The other 3 are really ambivalent toward his existence so far, except Pazuzu, who nipped his foot when he landed on the cage after we first brought him into the apartment, and then was chasing Maestro when he flew over Zuz the one time (although Zuz might have just wanted to say hi, but Zuz has a potato brain in a conure body so I didn't want to risk him getting into a fight with a bigger bird). Besides that, bird reactions to Maestro have been as follows: Gunter sat with him on the door when jade and I were showering, and, also during that time, Simon had a delayed reaction and--even though he'd been aware of Maestro's existence for over a day at that point--got scared and wouldn't fluff up and be happy again until I sang him "My Favorite Things." I think it took his brain a little bit to process "Hey, this bird is bigger than me and that's intimidating."

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Attempt number 2 at taking conure out of box: she bit my finger and now I'm bleeding.

Attempt number 1 at tipping her out: nothing happened.

I guess she just lives in the box now.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I have failed the photography gods. :suicide:

Maestro seems to like me at least. Not as much as Scribe, but he is still excited when I get home. I am still trying to get him to eat pellets though. Anyone got any tips? I mixed pellets, raisens, and his seed together in his bowl, and he sees the other birds eating the pellets, but he just seems to be digging through the pellets to pick out the seed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

painted bird posted:

Attempt number 2 at taking conure out of box: she bit my finger and now I'm bleeding.

I would recommend getting the birb out when possible. We let squirt have a box in our bedroom, and I think it encouraged a lot of the aggression he showed towards our feet. You don't want your new friend to be cage aggressive.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

I got her out! She's sitting on a natural perch and looking at me and when I make eye contact, she blinks. Is that good? :ohdear:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

painted bird posted:

Just get a towel or gloves and get it over with?

Or go with it-take the cage away. You want to live in the box, fine. :colbert:

E: NEVER MIND :v:

Talk to her and see if she flattens, or fluffs up a bit :3: And eat in front of her, watch her reactions

E2: I use too many drat emotes

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 27, 2015

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

painted bird posted:

I got her out! She's sitting on a natural perch and looking at me and when I make eye contact, she blinks. Is that good? :ohdear:

Yes!

Talk to her lots and offer her treats through the bars of the cage, its how I won over our lorikeet.

edit: I don't know what the blinking means, but getting out of the box and sitting on the perch is a good sign.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
When I talk to her, she looks at me, but she flies away if I put my hands near the bars of the cage. She seems generally curious about me -- she watched me eat very intently, but she wouldn't take any of the carrot I offered.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Curious is the best thing, especially for an aviary bird. She's just WOAH about everything right now, if she's intently watching you eat you have an excellent bribery method and way into her heart. Just hang out near her, don't make really sudden movement or noise, talk to her and watch her a bit

Eventually she'll come up to the bars, and/or do the flattened body like she's about to take off, you can slowly try moving your hand (with delicious treats) to her then, and if she gets nervous tell her it's okay and move away again. Build up trust you won't force her into anything, that she doesn't need to panic or run, but the option of food is there

It probably won't be long until the food wins out, if she's like almost every other conure ever

BTW the cage looks awesome and I want to see/investigate the toys

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
She's mostly calmed down and she's sitting on a branch in the cage, watching me as I dick around online. She looks calm and moderately fluffy!

Previously she was exploring the cage and climbing around, so I think she's having a rest now. And maybe listening to the budgies, who are yelling. :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

She's moving into the mildly-pissed-off-at-her-situation phase!

You'll be amazed how brave, curious, and resilient she is compared to the budgies.

E: Also prepare for one of my PHOTODUMPS soon it was a cute morning

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 27, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Seriously, that was mindfucking me hardcore. "Have I just seen really huge sun conures? Is that a weirdly tiny one? Do they just have giant loving hands?"

painted bird posted:

!!!

:kimchi:

Who's a pretty bird (it's you!)

Battle Pigeon posted:

E: Also prepare for one of my PHOTODUMPS soon it was a cute morning
:toot: :dance:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Okay there are a buttload of photos but I'll get them out of the way before painted bird posts his later :3:

Ohtori wanted to "help" with breakfast, then more attention afterwards

Steve was/is grumpy and scruffy due to molting and wants pets but nothing I do is right :saddowns:

Eventually he hosed off and went for a nap

Then later spotted the bag of crisps (SUNBITES)

Inko is Inko. Chilled, asking for pets, getting pets (don't be fooled)

Finally some dumb arts: http://i.imgur.com/Jr8MJxX.jpg?2 http://i.imgur.com/58IW5Fc.jpg?1 haven't decided what type of griffon the second will be, first still needs the feets changed to bird, the horizontal cheek/neck part line adjusted, and the fluffiness increased on the top half to soften out the shoulders

enjoy my dumb birbs, birb thread

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Those eyes-closed, blissed-out pictures are the best :3:

Poor Steve. Judah is also kind of a mess right now, his crest looks ridiculous.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Battle Pigeon posted:

pure adorable

The most delightful mornings are ones where I can scroll through all these birb pics while drinking coffee. So cute and fluffy! :kimchi:

painted bird posted:

She's so pretty! I love her coloring

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shirec posted:

The most delightful mornings are ones where I can scroll through all these birb pics while drinking coffee. So cute and fluffy! :kimchi:
Those mornings when I hit the jackpot and there's a picture dump in the birb thread and a picture dump in the YOSPOS cat thread are basically the best mornings.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Battle Pigeon posted:

Tendai posted:

Seriously, that was mindfucking me hardcore. "Have I just seen really huge sun conures? Is that a weirdly tiny one? Do they just have giant loving hands?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0

(I'm sorry)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ozy laid another egg a couple weeks ago. I believe the last one was 3 months ago. Is that too often for a Quaker?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If it were every week you should worry, but there really isn't anything you can do except mix in some egg food to keep nutrition up just in case.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Arsene is still plucking his chest feathers despite mine and our vet's better efforts. He doesn't seem worse for wear from it besides being all downy, but still trying to fix it over time in nutritional and playtime ways beyond just "I have an insane neurotic bird"

We have been doing spray bottle baths though! Next idea is to wash him rather than letting him wash himself so we have been having bird bath parties in the bathroom while he reluctantly gets spritzed. It's kind of hilarious

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How long have you had Arsene? Ozy plucks her chest because I adopted her from a bad home. After living with us for a couple years, she still plucks, but she's no longer plucking her chest raw. If you rescued your bird from a bad situation then improvement may just be a matter of time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I've had him about two years, I got him from a store so hopefully it isn't a bad home kind of situation. He isn't plucking at the down under-feathers and defiantly not raw, just the normal outermost layer of feathers on his chest. Vet thinks the next step if all else fails may be some kind of behavioral medication but I'd rather try a few new things for a while before we get the bird stoned, since like I said he doesn't seem to be actually hurt by it and seems to be a perfectly happy and active bird otherwise.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

When making egg food, is it best to get the shell down to a powder, or do you intentionally leave it in larger-size (pencil-lead) chunks?

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

I'm terrible at taking photos and it's hard taking a photo when there are cage bars in the way.

She fluffs up her head when I whistle at her. :3:

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

To give you an idea of how clingy GCCs can be, occasionally when I sleep in or take a nap during the day I let my bird come with me and cuddle up to my cheek to doze. As a result, at some point nearly every day he starts clamoring to take a nap together and as cute as his intentions are oh my god bird stop whining and squealing and flying at the bedroom door I can't spend every single day napping with you chill the gently caress out.

Jesus. Okay. I think that finished convincing MY HUSBAND, thank you. (He likes to decide WHEN he's getting bugged by creatures. I do too, actually.)

In interest of not leaving anyone hanging on a resolution: we talked and you have successfully saved birds from us! I'll just lurk and aww over Steve, Ohtori and the bunch instead. :3

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah GCC's are weird bunches. Mine absolutely must be either in the bathroom with me or sitting on the photo we have hanging right outside the door when I am in there or he completely loses his little bird mind

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did you think about getting a male canary? Very low maintenance, and happy little chaps. All mine does is floof up to 4 times his size into a borb, hops around the cage, sits on his swing and makes it rock and sings to himself like he's at Wembley stadium and we are all his adoring fans.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Birds are hard. Dogs, cats....our ancestors already did the majority of the work for us. From an objective standpoint, there aren't many reasons for most prospective pet owners to get a bird over a dog/cat.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Taft Punk posted:

Jesus. Okay. I think that finished convincing MY HUSBAND, thank you. (He likes to decide WHEN he's getting bugged by creatures. I do too, actually.)

In interest of not leaving anyone hanging on a resolution: we talked and you have successfully saved birds from us! I'll just lurk and aww over Steve, Ohtori and the bunch instead. :3

Sounds like you've already got plenty of info, but for what it's worth Eclectus parrots don't produce dust like most (all?) other parrots, so are essentially hypo-allergenic. I'm not sure if anyone in the thread has an Eclectus buddy that could fill you in more, but from what I've heard they generally have a very relaxed personality.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Australian relation of mine has had one for years she must be 20 by now, they are chill but suprisingly high maintenance as they get bored easily and the females like to scare the poo poo out of you by hiding in small enclosed places. She ended up moving her to an outdoor aviary with lots of branches (they love peeling and chewing wood) and an assortment of boxes and hidy holes and she has been much happier in there and has never seemed to miss the humans. Bit of a potato with a brightly coloured jacket on tbh.

Edit: my most low maintenance birds are the red rumped parrots, they thrive better in pairs and as a species they are not that interested in humans but the males absolutely love music and will sing along and copy all sorts of sounds.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 27, 2015

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Eris is staring at me and rapidly jittering her wings, without actually extending them to flap them. Is she okay?? :catstare:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Pellisworth posted:

Sounds like you've already got plenty of info, but for what it's worth Eclectus parrots don't produce dust like most (all?) other parrots, so are essentially hypo-allergenic. I'm not sure if anyone in the thread has an Eclectus buddy that could fill you in more, but from what I've heard they generally have a very relaxed personality.

I have a friend who has two eclectus parrots. She has terrible allergies and the birds don't seem to bother her. They're also super chill parrots from what I've seen. Make no mistake though, if you get bit, you're going to know it.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Do you have food or some other object of interest :v:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Nope! She was just shoving her beak through the bars and flapping her wings close to her body! I think she just wanted attention for a bit, we fussed over her for a bit and she calmed down again and is now back to sitting fluffed up on a perch.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

painted bird posted:

Eris is staring at me and rapidly jittering her wings, without actually extending them to flap them. Is she okay?? :catstare:

Flappies. In our home, that means 'pick me up I'm too lazy to fly over to the couch'

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
She wouldn't let us pick her up, but it seems like she's this weird mix of REALLY CURIOUS about us and KIND OF WARY of the new humans and the new budgies. She's staring at me right now. :catstare:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

painted bird posted:

She wouldn't let us pick her up, but it seems like she's this weird mix of REALLY CURIOUS about us and KIND OF WARY of the new humans and the new budgies. She's staring at me right now. :catstare:

My Kiwi, who totally wants love but won't let me pick her up, does that. It's her particular way to summon said affection that she's not used to getting quite yet. Does she let you touch her at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Nope! She flies the gently caress away from our hands, but every so often she flaps her wings close to her body and beeps at us. But when we put our hands inside her cage, she flaps around trying to get away from us.