Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How about if your hands are holding some super delicious seeds or millet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Nope, not even then. :(

I'm assuming tomorrow she'll be even more settled in and more amiable to our hands?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

What about through the bars instead of in the cage?

How much handling and cage experience does she have? She was parent raised but was she in an aviary?

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
She was parent-raised in an aviary, I believe!

So far, she won't even approach our hands if they're near the bars but on the other side from her. And now it's 10PM and her bedtime, so further experiments have to wait 'til tomorrow.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Well, yeah, if she was "wild" and doesn't have experience of hands or even cages then you're expecting too much of her so soon! Just slowly work on feeding her from your hands through the bars, then go from there. Watch what fresh food she eats most of from her bowl, and eat that/seeds in front of her to entice her.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

^ This'll take a while. Do you even know if Bird knows what millet it?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

painted bird posted:

Nope, not even then. :(

I'm assuming tomorrow she'll be even more settled in and more amiable to our hands?

I spent the better part of a week with my hand in my budgies cage, holding a variety of grass seeds, before she would trust that they weren't murderdeathmachines out to get her.

Just remember the size difference between you two, and be patient.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Also you should consider starting with stick training rather than hands, it will be easier on all of you

Potato Salad posted:

^ This'll take a while. Do you even know if Bird knows what millet it?

Your avatar makes me :) whenever I see it haha

And mine too, of course

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Oh, so I've been altering Pie's chop mix for a while-- it's actually less varied than what he used to get but he definitely eats more of it now. I stopped giving him mixed beans since it made his breath stink and turned stanky rotten really fast, so the bulk of his chop mixes now are butternut(or acorn) squash, carrots, string beans, apples, and parsley(or romaine/whatever other leafy green i have on hand). He still wastes like 40% of it but he eats a lot and really gets excited about it now. We've also graduated to bathtime in the bathtub, instead of the sink! Still having issues with that newspaper though.

painted bird posted:

Nope! She flies the gently caress away from our hands, but every so often she flaps her wings close to her body and beeps at us. But when we put our hands inside her cage, she flaps around trying to get away from us.

Definitely sounds like COME BACK PAY ATTENTION TO ME/DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE. My bird did this when he was young too, when he was in the store but before he'd let us touch him. Just hang out around her, she'll gain confidence eventually.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

Sounds like you've already got plenty of info, but for what it's worth Eclectus parrots don't produce dust like most (all?) other parrots, so are essentially hypo-allergenic. I'm not sure if anyone in the thread has an Eclectus buddy that could fill you in more, but from what I've heard they generally have a very relaxed personality.
Eclectuses are definitely not a parrot I would recommend for newer bird owners because of their dietary requirements and how fast things can go to poo poo if those aren't met strictly.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah the "flappies" as Sanchezz called them are baby bird begging behavior. You'll get a lot of that (even when she's not a baby anymore).

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I get that from my fully flighted cockatiels every now and again. Birds, you have wings. Use them.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
But why use wings when I can sit here and wobble like a pathetic orange puff and get what I want?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I get that from my fully flighted cockatiels every now and again. Birds, you have wings. Use them.
With Judah I always get the impression that it's more "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO :derptiel: I AM AMAZING"

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Ugh, yes. Alexis will fly all over the apartment but sometimes she just DOESN'T want to use her wings and will sit and piteously squawk for me to come pick her up.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Sounds like you've already got plenty of info, but for what it's worth Eclectus parrots don't produce dust like most (all?) other parrots, so are essentially hypo-allergenic. I'm not sure if anyone in the thread has an Eclectus buddy that could fill you in more, but from what I've heard they generally have a very relaxed personality.

They require lots of work and a fancy diet. I wouldn't recommend one as a first bird. I fostered a lady vos ekkie over the summer so I speak from some experience. They are awesome birds though. Very smart and crafty.

E: they are also prone to toe tapping if you feed them any dyed foods

zbeezy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 28, 2015

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Eris Pineapple is having a good morning/afternoon. :kimchi:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have just gone through 24 hours of baby grey potato shrieking because I dared switch her food, I've switched it back for the sake of my entire house's sanity,

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I have just gone through 24 hours of baby grey potato shrieking because I dared switch her food, I've switched it back for the sake of my entire house's sanity,

this sounds pretty awesome

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

painted bird posted:

She looks like she is blushing :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

painted bird posted:

Aw man :3: Look at that pretty lady.

GoldStandardConure posted:

She looks like she is blushing :3:
She so does.

Dreggon posted:

this sounds pretty awesome
Baby cockatiel sounds come in two varieties: "loving irritating oh god shut up why did I get a bird why do I even like birds" and "so heartbreakingly sad that your bird is going to die of sadness if you don't get the gently caress up right now and do what he wants."

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

painted bird posted:

She looks nervous but curious :3:

Tendai posted:

Baby cockatiel sounds come in two varieties: "loving irritating oh god shut up why did I get a bird why do I even like birds" and "so heartbreakingly sad that your bird is going to die of sadness if you don't get the gently caress up right now and do what he wants."

Wish I could have experienced babytiel, it sounds adorably infuriating.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/GWaJtAC.webm

Adorbs.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Wish I could have experienced babytiel, it sounds adorably infuriating.
Judah's crying when I first brought him home (I don't think he was used to a cage, he was entirely aviary-raised, but people-friendly) was the saddest thing I have ever heard. It was such a fight not to give in every time. Luckily that sort of sound stopped around cockatiel puberty or else he'd be even more spoiled.

Oh my godddd :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori was rejected and hand raised with his four brothers, then they were all put out to live together in an outdoor aviary with some other conures until we got him at 6/7 months old. I don't recall him making any baby noises or doing anything much different other than chilling out on shoulders (once the intial gently caress YOU attack period was over)

He just seemed mostly offended/resigned on the very long journey home in his travel cage inside his box. Just staring innocently back whenever we peeked in and fed him bits of apple. :3: And his reaction to the cage, from what I remember, was basically sigh whatever i guess this is my life now oh hey food btw pet me

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Archer made crying noises when I brought him home and it was heartbreaking until I got to my apartment at which point he heard Ellie's warking and pretty much immediately cheered up. Ellie just seemed massively confused to be getting responses to her contact calls.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Those are both hilarious images to think about

How is Eris, painted bird?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Been gone a little bit, but omg Painted Bird...Eris is beautiful!!! What a gorgeous lil girlie bird :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Contact noises you say?

When I found the red rumps I bought (blue) Drama, and my friend got (yellow) Shy but the condition was that if she didn't want to keep her I would take her. I knew there was a 99% chance of Oooh pretty, turning into oh god mess within a day with my friend. Sure enough a day later I got the call and went to pick her up. Got back in the house and was a bit desperate for the lav so put her in the hall for a second, she then started a contact call which was one long pathetic shriek, drama responded with the same pathetic sound and it went back and forth between them before she got put in his cage. They then started snuggling which is something that breed doesn't do, and even now if they realise that they are more than 6ft apart when they are out of the cage they start to panic.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For a while today, Pion seemed to be beeping out Morse codes. I didn't take note to what it might mean.
Then later yawning to the point of infecting me.

Her repertoire of sounds seems to be slowly increasing, and even displacing some screaming it seems. Makes me happy!

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
This is probably a stupid question, but.. why would someone raise a bird in an aviary if its going to be kept in a cage for the majority of its life? It just seems kind of cruel to give them that sort of freedom and then take it away.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

nielsm posted:

For a while today, Pion seemed to be beeping out Morse codes. I didn't take note to what it might mean.
Then later yawning to the point of infecting me.

Her repertoire of sounds seems to be slowly increasing, and even displacing some screaming it seems. Makes me happy!

Hmmm. If Pion keeps making more complex noises it's possible she could be a he

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but.. why would someone raise a bird in an aviary if its going to be kept in a cage for the majority of its life? It just seems kind of cruel to give them that sort of freedom and then take it away.

Parrots rely alot of instincts, as smart as they are they're still animals. Birds that are hand fed (instead of parent fed) tend to make better pets in that they're more used to humans and more likely to turn into cuddle bugs, but they're also more prone to plucking or shrieking or other behavioral problems. Something about being raised in an aviary by the actual parents and being allowed to just be a bird for awhile before being asked to be a pet makes them more mentally stable.

So it really comes down to what an individual owner wants, do you want a more needy bird who will be a great pet and loves people but has the threat of being more likely to become neurotic if it's needs aren't met, or a bird that is going to be more independant and may even never want to interact with you physically at all, but will likely be more mentally stable.

Of course it's possible aviary birds may get neurotic, and hand raised birds may never want to have anything to do with you, and it varies greatly by species as well. I've never seen a neurotic budgie in my life.

And hell this might all be a bunch of horsecrap given that it's just information I'm regurgitating from various books I've read and parrot knowledge has developed quickly so this might all be wrong/incomplete!

As an aside this thread needs more budgies

Seriously, after owning conures, cockatiels, and budgies, I can say of the small birds budgies are far and away my favorites. I still get a bit teary eyed about Blue and he passed away what, 3 years ago now? What a great little guy.

Didn't we have a couple budgie owners who used to post regularly?

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 28, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Can't speak for others, but Ohtori's breeder was fully prepared to look after all of his birds for the rest of their lives, and an aviary with lots of space and bird friends and all that was the best way to go about it

E: And like Agent355 said, parent-raised birds that are later tamed are the ideal, for all those behavioural reasons. I think Ohtori got the best of both worlds too-hand raised, but living with his brothers then all those other birds, and learning to be a bird. Like despite human parents, he'd much rather bone Steve than us, as the thread well knows

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 28, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was reluctant to post about this, because the thought came to me after my wife sent me a Craigslist ad for birds, and I find thinking about neglected pet birds intensely depressing.

I'm bothered by people talking about "starter birds." Of course it's good advice to tell someone not to get a particular species as their first bird, but talking about starter birds...even budgies can live more than a decade; that's not a starter anything, and there are plenty of reasons to stick to budgies and small parrots. And exotic bird pictures are cute, but I would never get a rare or expensive bird for its own sake. I can't believe the stupidity of people who buy a bird expecting it to be a cute talking decoration.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

It's much easier to breed in an aviary. I know I've come across as horribly smug in the past on other bird forums when I've bollocked some kid for shoving a potato in a cage that only grannies think is a good size for a budgie but...

I'm only experienced with parakeet/cockatiel sized birds or smaller so can't comment on what is appropriate for anything larger as that's a whole different set of requirements - Imo your cage must be big enough for them to fly about in, (unless they are out of the cage most of the day every day, in which case it's just a sleep cage) even if it's just a few feet, and that's with a good amount of toys in. Get the largest cage you can for your space before you get the bird and unless your cage is at least friggin 3ft X 3ft get a drat finch or a canary. /shakes first at theoretical internet teenager

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I was reluctant to post about this, because the thought came to me after my wife sent me a Craigslist ad for birds, and I find thinking about neglected pet birds intensely depressing.

I'm bothered by people talking about "starter birds." Of course it's good advice to tell someone not to get a particular species as their first bird, but talking about starter birds...even budgies can live more than a decade; that's not a starter anything, and there are plenty of reasons to stick to budgies and small parrots. And exotic bird pictures are cute, but I would never get a rare or expensive bird for its own sake. I can't believe the stupidity of people who buy a bird expecting it to be a cute talking decoration.

The rub of it is that big parrots require exponentially more care than small parrots, and people who want big parrots, even for the best of reasons, really should dip their feet into a smaller parrot first. Of course nobody in this thread would advise you to get a cockatiel that can live for 30 years, take care of it for 2-3 and then abandon it and get the pet you actually wanted.

It makes it hard because owning a large parrot like a macaw/cockatoo/grey/amazon what have you is very difficult to do if you also own a cockatiel. Most likely you won't be able to let them share space for fear of the bigger bird, accidentally or intentionally, harming the smaller one.

So do you buy a 'starter' bird to learn more about bird care, take care of it and love it for 30 years, then when it passes away go and get the bird you actually wanted. Or get a smaller bird and then a few years down the line get a larger bird only to go through all the extra care required to handle two birds at once.

Of course in my opinion the best option is and will always be

Shorter lifespan than a cockatiel, super adorable. Endless burbling. Seriously. If I ever decide to build a large indoor or outdoor aviary I'm going to fill that thing with budgies. Budgies everywhere. Like 20 of them. I would just sit in there for hours listening to those twerps.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Old man breeder friend of mine does just this, he sits in the middle of his budgie avery for hours surrounded by budgies like the budgie King. He actually breeds budgies to be small and they are about 2/3 the size of a normal English budgie because he worked out years ago that if he can't encourage people to buy cages to fit the bird then he would make the birds fit the standard size cages that they sell in pet shops.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, rather than a cockatiel, wouldn't it make more sense to get a budgie or a relatively calm, low-maintenance breed of parrot so that you can get your larger breed without it being a ton of work?

My wife does want an African Grey at some point. But she also wants a Corgi, some chickens, a duck pond, a lovebird aviary, and I think she mentioned goats at one point. If I can only talk her out of one of these things it will be the Grey. Or the goats, I loving hate goats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Battle Pigeon posted:

Those are both hilarious images to think about

How is Eris, painted bird?

She's doing extremely well! Still very cautious and shy, but very curious about us. We let her out of the cage for a bit and she flew around exploring (and bumped against the kitchen window because we forgot to close the kitchen door like morons) and is now sitting on top of the cage, looking around. She hasn't come near us, but she doesn't immediately fly away when we approach--only when we get too close. :kimchi:

She's very quiet. I've only heard her make a few loud shrieks and then these very faint grunting/snorting noises. Is ... is that just how conures are? I was expecting endless chatter like with the budgies.

Also: the budgies have been chattier since she arrived and she landed on their cage a few times and I think Gnosis wants to get out and meet the large bird. I'm not letting him just yet. Not until the pineapple is trained better.

A lot of people here keep birds in aviaries rather than in cages as pets. That might be a rural European thing, though.

RE: "starter" birds, I would love to eventually own an African Grey or something, but ... probably not until I'm a lot older. Health is also an issue here ...