Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The next episode has Saitama vs Genos sparring session.
Oh man, I've been waiting for this to be animated ever since all those fan-made OPs for a One Punch Man anime started cropping up, with every single one of them including it

I mean why not, it's basically a storyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I am a tad worried given how they messed up the similar shot in the Sonic fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They used the volume version of that scene apparently and none of the multi-page spreads are in the volumes.

There's a lot more chance of them doing the iconic part for this one because it's more simplistic. Doing rotating animation shots takes a lot of time and money, supposedly.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mordaedil posted:

I am a tad worried given how they messed up the similar shot in the Sonic fight.

The big wow moment in the Genos Saitama fight is a lot easier to fully animate than the panoramic Sonic scene, I think that that scene will make it if they try.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

NowonSA posted:

I just got to episode 4, and I legit marked out more for Licenseless Mumen Rider's first appearance than anything else in the show so far.

Edit: He elaborately put the kickstand up on his bike :allears:.

Mumen Rider is the hero we deserve.

(I always want to call him Common Rider)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think Licenseless Rider is the best version of his name.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Licenseless Rider and Common Rider both fit better than just calling him Mumen Rider.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Licenseless Rider is my personal choice of translation, but I don't think a dub of the series would use it just because it's awkward to pronounce. Common Rider is probably the best choice.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd also personally dig "Knight Biker".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Common Rider is the best pun name, but I'm a Licenseless Rider fan. Mumen Rider is the worst choice, even if it's faithful.

Common and Kamen sound pretty similar too so it preserves the original pun really well for English audiences.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Licenseless Rider reads the best but would be super awkward to pronounce out loud.

Common Rider is okay for the pun, but if I was translating it I'd just localize it to Kamen/Masked Biker/Cyclist. Change the other half of the name rather than trying to fix the first, since "Rider" isn't going to have the same meaning to English speakers anyway. But that's just me, it's probably not the best choice.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Gonna be honest, I really don't like the name "Licenseless Rider" because of how awkward it sounds to say. I feel like "Unlicensed Rider" sounds a lot better if the localized name absolutely has to keep the fact that he doesn't have his license in his name. "Common Rider" is probably the best localized name for him though, not only is it a better pun on "Kamen Rider" than "Mumen" or "Licenseless," but it also emphasizes that the dude's just your average, everyday bike rider.

Though, I just googled "Common Rider" and now I know that it's the name of a band that broke up like 12 years ago, so maybe Viz didn't want to push their luck with litigation. Funnily enough, that band chose their name for the "Kamen Rider" pun too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Licenseless Rider reads the best but would be super awkward to pronounce out loud.

Common Rider is okay for the pun, but if I was translating it I'd just localize it to Kamen/Masked Biker/Cyclist. Change the other half of the name rather than trying to fix the first, since "Rider" isn't going to have the same meaning to English speakers anyway. But that's just me, it's probably not the best choice.

Masked Biker sounds cool

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Gonna be honest, I really don't like the name "Licenseless Rider" because of how awkward it sounds to say.

That's half the fun.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Gonna be honest, I really don't like the name "Licenseless Rider" because of how awkward it sounds to say. I feel like "Unlicensed Rider" sounds a lot better if the localized name absolutely has to keep the fact that he doesn't have his license in his name. "Common Rider" is probably the best localized name for him though, not only is it a better pun on "Kamen Rider" than "Mumen" or "Licenseless," but it also emphasizes that the dude's just your average, everyday bike rider.

Though, I just googled "Common Rider" and now I know that it's the name of a band that broke up like 12 years ago, so maybe Viz didn't want to push their luck with litigation. Funnily enough, that band chose their name for the "Kamen Rider" pun too.

Common Rider is dumb because it completely removes the entire joke.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

KoB posted:

What? It sounds like Kamen and gets the point across that he's a ordinary common dude who is a hero.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The joke that it's a parody, lesser version of Kamen Rider? Seems to preserve the part of the joke that's actually important while also remaining actually funny.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

a kitten posted:

What? It sounds like Kamen and gets the point across that he's a ordinary common dude who is a hero.

That's not the point. The point is that he's Kamen Rider but he has no license so he can't ride a motorcycle.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If you see the guy on his bike and go "oh haha, Common like Kamen!" it's successful.

E: whatever, it is what it is.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

KoB posted:

Mumen Rider removes the entire joke because very few people watching the English translation would even begin to understand what that means. Licenseless Rider is a lot of syllables. Common Rider gets across that this guy doesn't have a fancy motorcycle, he's got a goddamn bicycle, and that's alright because he's our goddamn hero.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The problem with "License-less" is not that it's too many syllables, it's that it's awkward to say and really only gets across the point that the dude doesn't have a license. As I said earlier, I'd prefer "Unlicensed" to "License-less" if his name absolutely had to keep the lack-of-license joke because it's an actual word that isn't horribly awkward to say and also brings to mind unlicensed knock offs, so you get the knock-off Kamen Rider joke with that too.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 29, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

common biker

KoB
May 1, 2009
Regular Ordinary bicycle riding man

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Don't call him Batman, because he isn't the hero they deserve but is definitely the hero they need.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

One Bike Man

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Whatever is the better name for him is, he's still the best hero in the organization by far.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

bike friend

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

KoB posted:

And people "get" Mumen Rider?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Kild posted:

And people "get" Mumen Rider?

Saying one thing is bad is not an automatic endorsement of all alternatives. It is possible for all options to be bad.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I only "get" Mumen Rider as far as it sounds sort of like Kamen Rider.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Even though I think Common Rider is bad its still probably the best option since most people watching this outside of Japan dont know who Kamen Rider is so the joke doesnt even work for them. Licenseless Rider is awkward to say and Unlicensed Rider doesnt make sense unless you know about Kamen Rider to realize they mean a motorcycle license.

Until I heard it was a Kamen Rider pun I thought Licenseless Rider was an unlicensed Hero.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think Unlicensed still kinda works independent of the Kamen Rider reference. He doesn't have a driver's license, so he's riding a bicycle!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

KoB posted:

Until I heard it was a Kamen Rider pun I thought Licenseless Rider was an unlicensed Hero.

Yeah, I didn't realise that his name was supposed to be a reference to Kamen Rider until someone pointed it out, either. Common Rider is a lot easier to recognise, and it gets across that he's not that special. Admittedly, I didn't even know Kamen Rider drove around on a motorcycle, so I'm probably not the right audience for that joke.

ChaosArgate posted:

If they're afraid of infringing on that band's copyright, maybe they could call him C'mon Rider, instead. He could have his own sitcom.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

Even though I think Common Rider is bad its still probably the best option since most people watching this outside of Japan dont know who Kamen Rider is so the joke doesnt even work for them. Licenseless Rider is awkward to say and Unlicensed Rider doesnt make sense unless you know about Kamen Rider to realize they mean a motorcycle license.

:pwn:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I've never read, watched, or played anything with Kamen Rider in it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

They're not wrong

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Kamen Rider is really not big outside of Japan at all. Common Rider keeps the pun for people who know about Kamen Rider but still makes perfect sense for people who don't. Unlicensed Rider sounds kinda like he's an unlicensed hero because we don't think of people without drivers licenses as "unlicensed", we just think of them as not having a license.

Unlicensed Biker sounds and works a bit better I guess but it implies he's a biker type of guy who for some reason doesn't have a license rather than a normal kind of guy who rides a bike.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

There are plenty of western superheros who ride motorcycles and have RIDER in their name.

Common Rider will be understood by westerners and many might get the in joke.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I find it hard to believe that there's someone weeaboo enough to watch One Punch Man that isn't also weeaboo enough to have passing knowledge of Kamen Rider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OPM is for normies who don't know what Kamen Rider is.

• Locked thread