Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
1" deck ? Good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Drop the middle turret and add like 5 more inches of turret armor too. :gonk:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Hey just pointing out, if we start a war as quickly as we can we lose the stupid restrictions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Frontspac posted:

My ships! My beautiful ships! :negative:

Oh well, this LP at least convinced me to buy a copy of the game for myself. Now I get to build monsters like this:

Thicker belts than turrets THICKER BELTS THAN TURRETS no Mr. Fisher no, please, think of the widows and orphans Mr. Fisher!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Build some cruisers and destroyers and beat up the Italians.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Arglebargle III posted:

Thicker belts than turrets THICKER BELTS THAN TURRETS no Mr. Fisher no, please, think of the widows and orphans Mr. Fisher!

You people are no fun at all :p

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So you guys are gonna vote to repeal the "never lose prestige ever" law now.

Right???

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I want to see Grey play a game as the US and just chaos dunk on all of Europe.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I want to see Grey play a game as the US and just chaos dunk on all of Europe.

He had a few US videos on his youtube channel but the audio got messed up on like part 5/6 and he's playing russia now.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

TehKeen posted:

He had a few US videos on his youtube channel but the audio got messed up on like part 5/6 and he's playing russia now.

And for the record: https://www.youtube.com/user/greyhunterlp

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
drat it France

I'm surprised they didn't steal the Saxe given it's our one good modern BC

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I think we won that war, given how we took literally all of Great Britain's important overseas possessions. Only thing we didn't take was Singapore.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 26, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Saint Celestine posted:

I think we won that war, given how we took literally all of Great Britain's important overseas possessions. Only thing we didn't take was Singapore.

And we won't be wasting our money on battleships that will become obsolete in the face of aircraft!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

It's pretty weird that you get to keep possession the Army invaded even if you lose the war catastrophically.

Come to that, as the victors of the war shouldn't GB have had the option to enforce territorial demands? Did they take anything? I think I missed it if I did.

Also just as important - to think, if we'd won this war we could have permanently crippled the Royal Navy once and for all with a terrible treaty limitation!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The important question here is if we have access to oil or not?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If yer have enough point ye can take back possessions that ha been invaded yar.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Tomn posted:

It's pretty weird that you get to keep possession the Army invaded even if you lose the war catastrophically.

Come to that, as the victors of the war shouldn't GB have had the option to enforce territorial demands? Did they take anything? I think I missed it if I did.

Also just as important - to think, if we'd won this war we could have permanently crippled the Royal Navy once and for all with a terrible treaty limitation!

Can you ever impose a treaty on the AI? I've never seen that in any war I've won, by negotiation or revolution.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Tomn posted:

So you guys are gonna vote to repeal the "never lose prestige ever" law now.

Right???

Good lord no! He's got to max out his prestige before the game ends to leave a worthy legacy! You don't want a coal tender or something as your namesake.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

ro5s posted:

Can you ever impose a treaty on the AI? I've never seen that in any war I've won, by negotiation or revolution.

I have no idea, I don't own the game and was just expecting it since the AI can apparently do it to you. Apparently not, from your account?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Saint Celestine posted:

I'm imagining the scenario was our revanchist government pushing for total victory and our people finally said "For Christ's sake, enough!".

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Basically, we won, and then imposed the treaty on ourselves.

"Zut alors, you Rosbifs are such walkovers! Now that the Mediterranean is Notre Mer, you are no challenge whatsoever! Here, have a couple of our finest ships, we'll hold off building anything else larger than a cruiser, and maybe you will not be so pathetic next time, hein?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Arglebargle III posted:

I still don't think you can build a CA that can survive an encounter with a BC. All you can do is make it fast enough to run. But CAs don't exist anymore. You don't need a heavy cruiser to kill a light cruiser. So what is this ship for? Why not just build a large CL for 1/3 the cost of the CA? You can even get large guns on a large light cruiser.

Are you seriously trying to go through this again? There're still plenty of CAs. Anyways, go design a ship if you want to put something up instead of complaining at me.

hlwss
Nov 12, 2007

TheDemon posted:

Hey just pointing out, if we start a war as quickly as we can we lose the stupid restrictions.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Koorisch posted:

The important question here is if we have access to oil or not?

Starting in 1920 (?) you can build oil fired ships without oil access.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

TheDemon posted:

I would like to third this with the Beat up on Italy act It requires Grey to go to war with Italy ASAP. We will use our destroyers and cruisers to ruin their fleet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is only 3 years left in the "normal" game, I assume Grey will be stopping there instead of dragging it out to 1950?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, I'll be winding this up then - the game's not really designed to go longer, thats just what people requested.

So, how are we doing for this time around? the board looks pretty quiet.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, I'll be winding this up then - the game's not really designed to go longer, thats just what people requested.

So, how are we doing for this time around? the board looks pretty quiet.

I think it's mostly drinking copious amounts of wine and damning the rosbifs.

Edit: Wait, does this represent the one time Grey Hunter has failed to sink the Royal Navy?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Tomn posted:

I think it's mostly drinking copious amounts of wine and damning the rosbifs.

Edit: Wait, does this represent the one time Grey Hunter has failed to sink the Royal Navy?

He succeeded the first time and could was close the second time.

I'm pretty sure Jutland LP was the first time.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Dreamsicle posted:

He succeeded the first time and could was close the second time.

I'm pretty sure Jutland LP was the first time.

Ehm. War In the Pacific?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The ending to Jutland still pisses me off. Grey blasted the Royal Navy and had Britain blockaded but because they technically had more ships hiding in their harbors still they won because of the broken victory conditions.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The ending to Jutland still pisses me off. Grey blasted the Royal Navy and had Britain blockaded but because they technically had more ships hiding in their harbors still they won because of the broken victory conditions.

No you are thinking of Steam and iron. Jutland was another game Grey did a while back.

Grey should hit up Jutland again, so as to remove the stigma from his name.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 29, 2015

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

nothing to seehere posted:

Ehm. War In the Pacific?

Talking about the first time he failed not succeeded.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That was Steam and Iron. Jutland is this: http://lparchive.org/Jutland/

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
What are tensions like? That will tell us pretty much if going to war with someone is viable - I wouldn't try Britain again, for example.

Crowsbeak posted:

I would like to third this with the Beat up on Italy act It requires Grey to go to war with Italy ASAP. We will use our destroyers and cruisers to ruin their fleet.

You really can't pick and choose who you war with. It requires specific events that you'd have to be lucky to obtain. Also put your board in the "Proposed By" field instead of your name.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
go full Hitler and get as many of your "so called countrymen" killed as we are clearly losing this game and I am a spiteful poo poo.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Go to war with a smaller power if possible. Otherwise, just go to war.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Les Imbéciles proposes the following new cruiser design:

Modern Light Cruiser Initiative

Build a new class of CL, with a minimum of 6 ships and a maximum of the Admiral's discretion, to the following specifications:
- 8000 tons
- 30 knot top speed, oil fired
- all or nothing "Flat Deck on Top of Belt" armor configuration
- 2" belt, conning tower, turret face, and turret top armor
- 1.5" deck armor
- 0" secondary armor
- three double 8" turret main armament, with at least 120 rounds, increased elevation
- eight 6" secondary armament in single turrets
- best fire control, two positions
- two broadside swivel torpedo launchers per side, maximum size available
If tonnage remains,
- increase deck armor to 2"
- add a fourth double 8" main turret
- add torpedo launchers
- add secondary guns
- add up to 50 mines
- add tower armor

Sample Design:

If we can cram 2" deck armor I'd be overjoyed but it's basically not possible if we're using dual turrets like we should be. Frankly, I'd be surprised if we got these into a battle before game end, but we definitely won't be getting BBs to market before 1925 so they're probably the quickest shipbuilding improvement we can make, and we need to start them right now.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Get the restrictions lifted, if beating up Italy is what is required, teach them whose sea it is.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

TheDemon posted:

Les Imbéciles proposes the following new cruiser design:

Modern Light Cruiser Initiative

Build a new class of CL, with a minimum of 6 ships and a maximum of the Admiral's discretion, to the following specifications:
- 8000 tons
- 30 knot top speed, oil fired
- all or nothing "Flat Deck on Top of Belt" armor configuration
- 2" belt, conning tower, turret face, and turret top armor
- 1.5" deck armor
- 0" secondary armor
- three double 8" turret main armament, with at least 120 rounds, increased elevation
- eight 6" secondary armament in single turrets
- best fire control, two positions
- two broadside swivel torpedo launchers per side, maximum size available
If tonnage remains,
- increase deck armor to 2"
- add a fourth double 8" main turret
- add torpedo launchers
- add secondary guns
- add up to 50 mines
- add tower armor

Sample Design:

If we can cram 2" deck armor I'd be overjoyed but it's basically not possible if we're using dual turrets like we should be. Frankly, I'd be surprised if we got these into a battle before game end, but we definitely won't be getting BBs to market before 1925 so they're probably the quickest shipbuilding improvement we can make, and we need to start them right now.

I can support this, more cruisers are what we need to humiliate the Italians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
try to start a war, any war will do

• Locked thread