Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jose posted:

uzek marino owning some fug people to leave baam alone would let him continue climbing without their presence and i don't think ToG would be worse off for fug not interfering with baam

Well what I mean is without Rachel or FUG Baam has very little reason to continue to put his life on the line to keep climbing. Rachel and FUG have been the whole driving force for him to reach where he is now.

Remove Rachel and FUG from the equation and who knows whether or not he'd continue on. He doesn't like fighting and killing and poo poo and would probably bow out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

khy posted:

Well what I mean is without Rachel or FUG Baam has very little reason to continue to put his life on the line to keep climbing. Rachel and FUG have been the whole driving force for him to reach where he is now.

Remove Rachel and FUG from the equation and who knows whether or not he'd continue on. He doesn't like fighting and killing and poo poo and would probably bow out.

Kuhn and Wangnan both have their own reasons to climb the Tower, and Baam would want to help them achieve their goals.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

uzek marino owning some fug people to leave baam alone would let him continue climbing without their presence and i don't think ToG would be worse off for fug not interfering with baam

I dunno, FUG and their relationship with Baam is a pretty massive part of the story. If you removed them from the picture, there's little overarching plot aside from "Baam climbing the tower." FUG is an interesting antagonist because they don't want to kill Baam (or at least most of them don't); they want to use his power to accomplish their goals.

While I guess Baam would help his buddies climb the tower, it would make for a much more boring story if the main protagonist had no motivation other than "helping his friends accomplish their goals/dreams."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think the problem with fug is either baam becomes a true irregular and fug can't touch him or he's hamstrung for the rest of the story to keep fug a threat. baam becoming a true irregular like has been hinted at would be good though

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

If fug loses to Baam but proudly proclaimed him as the new Slayer, Baam might get the established families after him. Could be a new source of conflict.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

i just want him to get the cool talking sword back tbh

also lizard princess needs to show up again she was cool

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

i think the problem with fug is either baam becomes a true irregular and fug can't touch him or he's hamstrung for the rest of the story to keep fug a threat. baam becoming a true irregular like has been hinted at would be good though

Baam being an irregular along the lines of Urek Mazino wouldn't mean he's untouchable; he might be the equivalent of a regular one or two ranks above his current rank or something, but Rankers would still be able to easily beat him until he reaches, at the very least, the higher parts of the tower.

nimby posted:

If fug loses to Baam but proudly proclaimed him as the new Slayer, Baam might get the established families after him. Could be a new source of conflict.

I hope Yuri doesn't end up misunderstanding Baam's situation (and thinking he willingly joined FUG) and becoming his enemy. Yuri x Baam is the best pairing for maximum creepiness (since Yuri is like hundreds of years old and Baam is a teenager). Actually, doesn't this also apply to Endorsi/Androssi (no idea how to romanize her name)? Baam should date Ehwa since she's the only girl around his age who has shown interest in him.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

fug is just really boring and just about every single administrator we've seen has been secretly working for them and thats dumb as gently caress

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Only the 2nd and 20th floor admins have been working for them, as I recall, and then this train guy. So 3 out of, what, nearly 40 floors they've been on? The other floors have either been skipped/skimmed or had family goons as administrators.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

right but the fact that the other floors got skipped really gives the impression that theyre everywhere, also even outside of the administrators theyve been a constant presence. like cassano, xia xia, 2 members of koon's old team, the mad dogs team, probably a lot of people in the workshop, and theres probably a lot more im forgetting that all turned out to be working for them. it just gets eyerolling at this point

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

also the 20th floor guy didnt do poo poo and the reveal that he was working for fug didnt affect anything it just felt really needless and clunky

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Baam being an irregular along the lines of Urek Mazino wouldn't mean he's untouchable; he might be the equivalent of a regular one or two ranks above his current rank or something, but Rankers would still be able to easily beat him until he reaches, at the very least, the higher parts of the tower.

didn't he fight a ranker more or less to a standstill early in part 2?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Inflammatory posted:

Fried chicken guy, yeah. That guy was thrown off by Baam not fighting according to his preconceived notion of a FUG Slayer Candidate though so Baam won according to the rules there.

Also I think FUG has a decent number of members because they're loosely organized as gently caress and there seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction about rule of Zahard and the Ten Families.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Inflammatory posted:

If you're talking about Mule Love, that was a game rather than a fight and Baam mostly just took him completely off guard (sort of like if you're an adult and you're about to fight a toddler, but it turns out the toddler is actually as a strong as a 5 year old and kicks you in the shin and it really hurts).

For a more recent example, I think that Daniel guy who Baam had a longish mostly-even fight with is just a really strong D class regular. From what we've been told, I think current Baam (ignoring any possible "power-ups" from talking to that guardian guy) is as strong as the strongest D class regulars.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Ytlaya posted:

I hope Yuri doesn't end up misunderstanding Baam's situation (and thinking he willingly joined FUG) and becoming his enemy. Yuri x Baam is the best pairing for maximum creepiness (since Yuri is like hundreds of years old and Baam is a teenager). Actually, doesn't this also apply to Endorsi/Androssi (no idea how to romanize her name)? Baam should date Ehwa since she's the only girl around his age who has shown interest in him.

I doubt Yuri will fall for the trick. The only reason the conductor told her that was because he thought she was acting under the orders of Jahad, when she actually belongs to Urek Mazino's group.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Fried chicken guy, yeah. That guy was thrown off by Baam not fighting according to his preconceived notion of a FUG Slayer Candidate though so Baam won according to the rules there.

Also I think FUG has a decent number of members because they're loosely organized as gently caress and there seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction about rule of Zahard and the Ten Families.

That's true, it does make sense that they would have more members than the other organizations. Honestly the reason it annoys me so much is that it's like FUG has no other tricks than "Aha! It turns out these guys were working for us all along!" Like first it happened with 20th floor guy then with like 4 separate people in Cassano's group then with the Mad Dog's team then again with the singer at the beginning of this season. And retroactively with the 2nd floor director I guess. That plot twist is just really dull and tiring at this point.

I mean none of that's happened recently so im not sure why im complaining but whatever also the games are back so yay anime is good

Useless Name
May 3, 2005
Even with FUG's hidden guys everyone they haven't come off as that powerful. 2nd and 20th floor admins are just in charge of the regular testing area, it's someone else who rules the entire floor. It just seems like the other powers don't really care about the lower floor testing areas. Most of the house family members probably reacted like Koon first did when hearing about a slayer candidate on the 20th floor, team princess only took notice of the FUG team until after they announced they killed Koon.

FUG can't even do secrecy right. The Zahard light bearer princess seems to generally know what they're up to, and at the end of workshop arc we find out that the head of one of the houses had been observing the entire event and had allowed FUG to get the thorn in the first place. As everyone climbs into the mid tier floors I think we'll see more of the power and influence of the Great Houses. Back on the second floor they made a big deal out of the consequences of helping an irregular, it would be nice to see that dark side of the tower.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Useless Name posted:

Even with FUG's hidden guys everyone they haven't come off as that powerful. 2nd and 20th floor admins are just in charge of the regular testing area, it's someone else who rules the entire floor. It just seems like the other powers don't really care about the lower floor testing areas. Most of the house family members probably reacted like Koon first did when hearing about a slayer candidate on the 20th floor, team princess only took notice of the FUG team until after they announced they killed Koon.

FUG can't even do secrecy right. The Zahard light bearer princess seems to generally know what they're up to, and at the end of workshop arc we find out that the head of one of the houses had been observing the entire event and had allowed FUG to get the thorn in the first place. As everyone climbs into the mid tier floors I think we'll see more of the power and influence of the Great Houses. Back on the second floor they made a big deal out of the consequences of helping an irregular, it would be nice to see that dark side of the tower.

I would clarify this - FUG is clearly quite powerful (I think their top person is one of the top 10 strongest Rankers), but also clearly not remotely a threat to Zahard/the 10 families.

logger posted:

I doubt Yuri will fall for the trick. The only reason the conductor told her that was because he thought she was acting under the orders of Jahad, when she actually belongs to Urek Mazino's group.

She still clearly reacted negatively to hearing that he was a slayer candidate, though; even though she doesn't identify with the 10 families, she still probably dislikes FUG. I also doubt that she'll end up being influenced by this, though.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

logger posted:

She doesn't belong to Wing Tree, she's just good friends with them. Being a princess probably stops her from actually joining them.

Useless Name posted:

Even with FUG's hidden guys everyone they haven't come off as that powerful. 2nd and 20th floor admins are just in charge of the regular testing area...

Well, they are both listed as High Rankers, which puts them somewhere in the strongest 1% of the tower,
http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/Augusgus
http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/Yu_Han_Sung

and http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/Ha_Jinsung

They also have the Slayers (of which only Karaka has been shown), so they do have some real power behind them. Like you mentioned though, we haven't seen much of what the 10 families are up to so who knows how they compare in a 1:1 match up.

Ytlaya posted:

I would clarify this - FUG is clearly quite powerful (I think their top person is one of the top 10 strongest Rankers), but also clearly not remotely a threat to Zahard/the 10 families...

FUG's leader is rank 15 http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/Grace_Mirchea_Luslec

Useless Name
May 3, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I would clarify this - FUG is clearly quite powerful (I think their top person is one of the top 10 strongest Rankers), but also clearly not remotely a threat to Zahard/the 10 families.

It would be cool if more info on the contracts of the tower were given. That's what has been said to really give the families their powers. By contract Zahard can't be killed by anyone born in the tower, and the contracts also give great power to the rankers and family members. Despite now being on the 36th floor, all the power-ups have been from training or gaining an item. We have seen that having the blood of a great family gives you certain extra powers like Ran's lightning spears and the mad dogs being bad rear end, hopefully this will be explained later on.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Useless Name posted:

Haven't we already seen the dark side of the tower? Reflejo's whole family was wiped out and he was blinded because he looked at a princess to be. Apparently the reason Jinsung is part of FUG is because the woman he fell in love with got sold and killed.

The 10 Families are awful!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Useless Name posted:

It would be cool if more info on the contracts of the tower were given. That's what has been said to really give the families their powers. By contract Zahard can't be killed by anyone born in the tower, and the contracts also give great power to the rankers and family members. Despite now being on the 36th floor, all the power-ups have been from training or gaining an item. We have seen that having the blood of a great family gives you certain extra powers like Ran's lightning spears and the mad dogs being bad rear end, hopefully this will be explained later on.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I'm pretty sure that being a Ranker doesn't inherently give you a power-up; it's just that you need to be super strong in order to become a Ranker in the first place. The same goes for the family members; the 10 family heads are really strong because they're all irregulars and the oldest humans in the tower, not (with the exception of Zahard's immortality) because of a power-up from a contract with the tower guardians. The family of the 10 family heads gain extra powers just because Tower of God seems to assume that a lot of the 10 heads' abilities would be passed down to their offspring genetically.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Some of it is from "special contract" though. Like the Mule family stuff. Special Contracts are passed to children via contract, not via genetics or, well, the contract ensures they're passed via genetics maybe and from what we've been told so far they're usually given from the 100th floor on up.

Being a Ranker doesn't inherently give you a power-up, but they've been to the higher floors and thus have had chances to gain special contracts and thus become even more powerful.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ytlaya posted:

Uzek marino climbed the tower faster than anyone by a long way so its probably safe to assume that he was probably close to being a ranker either when he started or about where Baam is. Baam is specifically unusual as an irregular in that he isn't insanely powerful from the start. How high someone is doesn't necessarily equate to how strong they are but i'd like to see baam show he's in fact really strong with this new thing because something has to give in the FUG plot

like i don't think baam is about to start curb stomping everyone if only because its not his personality

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

Uzek marino climbed the tower faster than anyone by a long way so its probably safe to assume that he was probably close to being a ranker either when he started or about where Baam is. Baam is specifically unusual as an irregular in that he isn't insanely powerful from the start. How high someone is doesn't necessarily equate to how strong they are but i'd like to see baam show he's in fact really strong with this new thing because something has to give in the FUG plot

like i don't think baam is about to start curb stomping everyone if only because its not his personality

He climbed faster, but not insanely so; I think it said it took him 100 years (whereas I think it took Leroro 500), so it's not like he was just able to easily and instantly pass every test he encountered.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Ytlaya posted:

He climbed faster, but not insanely so; I think it said it took him 100 years (whereas I think it took Leroro 500), so it's not like he was just able to easily and instantly pass every test he encountered.

Well the 'God of Guardians' did just say that Urek was much stronger than him when he came by, while the GoG is able to wipe out regulars at this floor quite easily.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The problem is that the only other confirmed irregulars are Enryu who we know basically nothing about and Phantaminum who is omnipotent so trying to rank the irregulars isn't really possible. All we know is that Baam is really, really good at shinsoo manipulation and has been way more resistant to high concentrations than all the similarly experienced regulars as when Leroro's shinsoo wave failed to move him back at all.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno, on the higher floors they said there could be up to a year between testing periods--they're not constantly holding tests. So 100 years could actually be the bare minimum time for passing every test on the first try. He didn't take a guardian test ever, like Baam already has, so he was bound by normal test availability.

edit: how many years have Baam and company been climbing now, anyway? It was 7 years for the first 20 floors for Baam and then I think another year or two has passed by now? Maybe more. They're already up to "months between testing periods".

Decus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 5, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hirethor posted:

Well the 'God of Guardians' did just say that Urek was much stronger than him when he came by, while the GoG is able to wipe out regulars at this floor quite easily.

Yeah, but keep in mind that a regular that is a rank above another regular can basically wipe the floor with them. So it's possible that guardian guy is just as strong as a C or B rank regular or something.

I mean, it's not impossible that Urek just started out as strong as a High Ranker, but the fact that he was able to wipe the floor with everyone he encountered while climbing the tower doesn't necessarily mean that's the case. If he were always a rank or two stronger than the other regulars at his level, he would be basically unbeatable.

Decus posted:

I dunno, on the higher floors they said there could be up to a year between testing periods--they're not constantly holding tests. So 100 years could actually be the bare minimum time for passing every test on the first try. He didn't take a guardian test ever, like Baam already has, so he was bound by normal test availability.

edit: how many years have Baam and company been climbing now, anyway? It was 7 years for the first 20 floors for Baam and then I think another year or two has passed by now? Maybe more. They're already up to "months between testing periods".

It seems strange that there would be a bigger time between tests on higher floors, since there would be fewer applicants. But you're right that the timespan it took Urek to climb could very well mean that he passed every test on the first try.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
Urek IS basically unbeatable though.

http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/Urek_Mazino

"It took Urek only 50 years to pass every test and climb all the way up to the top of the Tower. This is one tenth of the average time it takes to climb the Tower (at least 500 years)"

"Urek was also able to evenly match Arie Hon, the strongest of the 10 Family Heads... Not only did he pass his test, he denied the rules of "enduring" his attacks and instead battled him equally. Regardless of their even skills, Arie Hon would admit after the fight that Urek was "far better"."

"Urek Mazino, while standing on his final Position, had once knocked down a Light Bearer who was also on his final Position; figuratively speaking, it's similar to a goalkeeper scoring a goal from across the entire field."

Edit: Though yeah, we don't know how long he's been in the tower now, and what's passed between him climbing the tower and him fighting Arie Hon.

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 5, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hirethor posted:

Urek IS basically unbeatable though.

http://towerofgod.wikia.com/wiki/Urek_Mazino

"It took Urek only 50 years to pass every test and climb all the way up to the top of the Tower. This is one tenth of the average time it takes to climb the Tower (at least 500 years)"

Ah, I got that figure significantly wrong then (though apparently 500 is the average, so top tier Rankers probably did it in significantly under that). Yeah, 50 years sounds like he basically climbed the tower as fast as it's possible to climb it, assuming that you're taking the regular tests (rather than the guardian ones). I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he was at least as strong as a High Ranker when he first entered the tower.

Regarding how Baam stands up against other irregulars, given what little we know it sounds like the super high shinsoo resistance is probably something they all have, but that Baam's "learn stuff after seeing it once" is something unique to him. He's already starting to become a virtual library of techniques, and by the time he's at the top of the tower he should know how to do an unfathomable amount of stuff.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Rachel being so weak is kind of an impediment to the series at this point. She's an irregular right? She should be the one to get the revolution while on the train.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
rachel's an irregular basically on a technicality. baam opened the way to the tower and she snuck in on his coattails.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Shakugan posted:

Rachel being so weak is kind of an impediment to the series at this point. She's an irregular right? She should be the one to get the revolution while on the train.

She has Emily though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Emily's not much help in situations like this though. She's gangbusters at manipulation and distortion (kinda like Rachel herself) but when it comes down to stuff like "pick up this heavy thing" or "actual fighting" her bag of tricks is kind of bare. Thus even Rachel knows she needs to surround herself with stronger people she can wrap around herself like Baam and Ha Yura.

Of course eventually it'll all fall apart like it did with Koon.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-175/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=256

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
Looks like we got another fight next week, if they don't cut to another team.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shakugan posted:

I strongly disagree, even if you ignore the narrative reason why she's not as strong as other irregulars (her probably using Baam to get into the tower). The entire thing that makes her an interesting antagonist is that she manages to achieve all this stuff in spite of being relatively weak (at least compared with the other big players; she's still probably an above average light bearer). Through a combination of being clever and maybe having the behind the scenes help of Headon (who I think promised to make her the protagonist of her story or something at the very beginning), she manages to continue to climb the tower. It would seriously be lame as hell if Rachel became some really strong Sasuke to Baam's Naruto, so to speak.

If no one else from the FUG team shows up, it seems like the group that Baam and company just encountered is probably going to lose. Baam might be a match for spear guy now (before he had to use the thorn to be as good as him, but we still don't know what he gained from talking to the guardian guy), and Moontari is really strong and could probably handle wings girl alongside Yeon (though I would rather Yeon somehow win by herself). And that's ignoring fat girl and bird guy, who seem reasonably tough.

I think I look forward to Boro/Sachi/Aki's fight the most; it's cool that they got on the same team together. I figure that they'll either win their fight against a non-Hoaqin group or be beaten by Hoaqin to show up how strong he is (though I would prefer if they didn't do the latter, since we've already seen Hoaqin win against Boro and his buddies).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 9, 2015

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Art is really good this week. Wonder if his wrist is feeling better or if it's a new assistant.

And yeah, I don't really see Rachel ever becoming strong through her own power. At most she'll be given more people and tools. Koon told her as much and I don't see her taking his words to heart and trying to get better through her own efforts so much as I see her angrily re-doubling her "gotta find more tools/people that are tools".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lol rak is still the best

crocodiles team
crocodile 1
a corpse? 1