Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Eris won't go near me. :( Not even if I'm holding food. Not even if I'm holding food that's on a stick or similar.

Any tips on what to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

So I've been pretty negligent in cleaning out Albert's room the last bit. If anyone is interested in seeing how much Pois enjoy chewing wood, well here's what she went through (in her day-cage, not including play stand and whatnot) in a bit over a month:

About 3 inches tall.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

At the chain pet store at the mall today, there were a pair of cockatiels in this awesome huge cage, bigger than Ohtori's cage, and there was a big nestbox inside with the female peeking out. She hopped out, I squinted in-and there was a baby cockatiel in the back in the darkness staring out ahhh. A store worker said it was their first clutch, and there were two babies originally but they weren't very good at the whole raising thing yet. Also that the male was very possessive of baby and kept preventing the female from helping, and we did see him run to block the entrance to the nestbox when the female tried to get back in

It's two weeks old :3:

painted bird posted:

Eris won't go near me. :( Not even if I'm holding food. Not even if I'm holding food that's on a stick or similar.

Any tips on what to do?

I'll write some stuff up in a bit, though take it with a grain of salt or whatever considering after almost three (?) years Inko still hasn't stepped up on to a hand yet

He did however flutter the whole 10cm ish from cage top to arm of my desk chair yesterday, and I'm about 80% certain it was deliberate :kimchi: Other progress-he lets me lift and open his wings, I can touch his legs and stomach now, he lets me preen some of the left side of his face which he's much more wary about. All of course with the usual threat of bite if he loses patience or doesn't want it.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

painted bird posted:

Any tips on what to do?

Sorry I am new, what type of bird is Eris?

If you know what treats he really likes, then try placing it between you and backing up, if he still does not go for it, back up a little more until he does. Then the place another peace, and stay a little closer. Keep doing this until you can stand next to him. The idea is to get him comfortable with you being closer and closer, and conditioning him that you being near means he gets treats.

If he does not like treats then hahaha, good luck, I am trying to figure that out with a family members Grey that could not care less about food.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
After 6 months one of my potatoes didn't flee to the back corner of the cage when I put my arm in with food but sort of hung around on a perch waiting. This is a massive step forward and a personal best - at this rate I might be able to touch one of them in a few years.

It's the difference between being hand raised and constantly handled from birth and being aviary bred, both have advantages and disadvantages. I might never have a YouTube relationship with my birds but in my case it was aviary bred or no birds at all. Turns out it suits us because they are just perfectly happy to chill and entertain each other provided they have enough toys and music on, but dear god have I had trouble when one of a bonded pair has just decided to die on me, which has happened twice, once through old age and the other because I swear that budgie was possessed by the devil and did it out of spite. As my posting has shown I had a lonely canary that wouldn't shut the gently caress up and then a lonely budgie that was dying of a broken heart, until he decided to take matters into his own wings and just move in with the potatoes and nothing on earth will get him to move out of that cage now. It's quite sweet really he sort of chills on his own in there but if he thinks I'm getting too close to the cage he runs to Loki and smooshes himself into her side like "protect me from the human massive grey coward!"

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Visited this guy again this afternoon. He loves head scritches and his face turns red if you keep up the scritches long enough. His puppy play fighting is freakin adorable and he even has this little growl he does when he's beaking you.

I was looking for a small parrot like a conure, cockatiel, or even a parrotlet, but that severe macaw is making a strong argument for himself.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

He is a juvenile, that behavior will diminish as he grows older. Not that he won't remain playful and cuddly, but birds definitely are like kids where they change a little at puberty.

Also not to discourage you from getting a big bird, but it's a lifetime commitment and they require a lot more everything than a cockatiel or conure. Just do a lot of research and some soul searching before making what is in actuality a decision only a peg down from having kids.

That said, big birds own so if it works out for you, it can change your life for the better. And he sounds awesome and is absolutely gorgeous.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

i poop fire posted:

Visited this guy again this afternoon. He loves head scritches and his face turns red if you keep up the scritches long enough.

He's blushing :kimchi: Happy birds blush just like people do, it's easy to see on macaws and conures. Amadeus blushes if I rub my nose in his face feathers.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Grraarrgghh posted:

So I've been pretty negligent in cleaning out Albert's room the last bit. If anyone is interested in seeing how much Pois enjoy chewing wood, well here's what she went through (in her day-cage, not including play stand and whatnot) in a bit over a month:

About 3 inches tall.

Ha, Charlie is the same way. I have to buy comically huge toys for him because all the smaller toys are meant for conures and he'll destroy them in a day.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Went to Omar's for some pellets and toys, came out an hour and a half later after touching all the birbs. Who wants a photo dump?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Suntan Boy posted:

Went to Omar's for some pellets and toys, came out an hour and a half later after touching all the birbs. Who wants a photo dump?

I too went to Omar's today! Got snuggle attacked by two Goffin's at the same time, then latched onto by a 5mo old catalina macaw that didn't want to be put back :3: Omar's rules.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

oh my god that li'l baby grey.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Suntan Boy posted:

Ahhhh what an amazingly gorgeous girl! I am in love :swoon:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Trebuchet King posted:

I really need to get the baby pictures of my grey from my mom and get them scanned.

The natural state of an African Grey.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

At the chain pet store at the mall today, there were a pair of cockatiels in this awesome huge cage, bigger than Ohtori's cage, and there was a big nestbox inside with the female peeking out. She hopped out, I squinted in-and there was a baby cockatiel in the back in the darkness staring out ahhh. A store worker said it was their first clutch, and there were two babies originally but they weren't very good at the whole raising thing yet. Also that the male was very possessive of baby and kept preventing the female from helping, and we did see him run to block the entrance to the nestbox when the female tried to get back in
Hnnngh baby cockatiels :3: The cockatiel sub on reddit has been giving me some seriously good potato baby fixes lately.

Eejit posted:

He is a juvenile, that behavior will diminish as he grows older. Not that he won't remain playful and cuddly, but birds definitely are like kids where they change a little at puberty.
The day they make a cockatoo that stays cuddly and happy like a baby forever is the day I will be okay with whatever other genetic monstrosities science wants to create. A baby umbrella cockatoo is the most ridiculous goddamn thing.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

He's blushing :kimchi: Happy birds blush just like people do, it's easy to see on macaws and conures. Amadeus blushes if I rub my nose in his face feathers.
The first time I saw a macaw do that I was all :ohdear: "HE'S ALLERGIC TO ME" but then someone explained because I guess they saw me staring in a vague sense of horror at the scarlet macaw on my arm.

Trebuchet King posted:

No kidding, the dark eyes are just murdering me. I'd let it bite me.

~

Current Judah status: Got a fruit stick, eating eagerly and making little "oh man this is so good do you know how good this is?!" wurbles between bites :3:

(I would take a picture but to be honest I'm too high to move right now I'm sorry)

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

"yep"

triggered

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pft that's a love bite, look at those big dark baby parrot eyes :allears:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Yeah, that's just a beak over the finger and a firm but gentle squeeze.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I can understand why people impulse buy greys now :swoon: That babbu :kimchi:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Sekkira posted:

Yeah, that's just a beak over the finger and a firm but gentle squeeze.

on the tendon

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I can understand why people impulse buy greys now :swoon: That babbu :kimchi:

also their sassiness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNEFoL8nQHE

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Babby Grey and 'too are the best of the best

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I didn't know conures did it too-how can you tell with all the feathers?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

So true. Baby greys remind me of like, human infants with how intense they watch things and try to figure things out, it's always kind of cool to me to watch since their intelligence is so loving obvious. Baby cockatoos are just loving adorable plush toys who want to do nothing but love you, in my experience :3:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Couple of quick questions:

- What's a good treat for training Senegals? They eat so slowly that giving him a little of what he usually eats means a couple of minutes of waiting for him to finish (if he doesn't drop it before then).
- Should I take him to the vet for an initial check-up or is it not worth it?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

So true. Baby greys remind me of like, human infants with how intense they watch things and try to figure things out, it's always kind of cool to me to watch since their intelligence is so loving obvious. Baby cockatoos are just loving adorable plush toys who want to do nothing but love you, in my experience :3:

I've never been lucky enough to interact with baby Greys/toos in person (those Omar stores look AMAZING there is nothing like that here at all), I just want to hug the toos and give the Greys toys to play with and just watch them work that poo poo out

Noxville posted:

Couple of quick questions:

- What's a good treat for training Senegals? They eat so slowly that giving him a little of what he usually eats means a couple of minutes of waiting for him to finish (if he doesn't drop it before then).
- Should I take him to the vet for an initial check-up or is it not worth it?

What are you giving him now? Give him tiny slivers of nut, really small pieces. Vet-if he's not registered and in their system already it might be worth it to have his details on file, you could make it a positive first visit for him, if you wanted you could get him tested for the most common issues (like Beak and Feather Disease) if the breeder didn't do that already. It's really up to you.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

Alexis' cere turns visibly pink.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Battle Pigeon posted:

What are you giving him now? Give him tiny slivers of nut, really small pieces. Vet-if he's not registered and in their system already it might be worth it to have his details on file, you could make it a positive first visit for him, if you wanted you could get him tested for the most common issues (like Beak and Feather Disease) if the breeder didn't do that already. It's really up to you.

I started out with just giving him a pellet but it takes long to eat and I guess it's not really a treat so I tried sunflower seeds but he often drops it. I know he like almond flakes so I'll use those.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Kenshin posted:

Alexis' cere turns visibly pink.

Inko's is white so that should be easier to see, if it happens, but Ohtori's is dark grey. Gonna go grab him in a bit and try

Is it really noticeable?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

Inko's is white so that should be easier to see, if it happens, but Ohtori's is dark grey. Gonna go grab him in a bit and try

Is it really noticeable?

Sorry, I forgot that GCCs have a dark cere. Dusky conures have white, so the blush is easy to see.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Kenshin posted:

Sorry, I forgot that GCCs have a dark cere. Dusky conures have white, so the blush is easy to see.

Nah you didn't forget, GCCs have white, Ohtori isn't a GCC. Here's the results of my first test, unfortunately it's dark and lovely weather here atm so crappy light with crappy camera

Target acquired

C'mere you, time for scritches

Yep that's right

No not from him leave him alone

Before

During

After

Results: No idea

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

ohtori :3: yeah his cere and the white around his eyes turn pink.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I see it in the middle during picture now dawwww

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Something slightly creepy, actually viewable in that middle during picture-you can see his eyes through his eyelids. So even when his eyes are fully closed if you look closely you can see them staring back at you, forever

Gonna try Inko now, probably won't be able to get photos of him though (Edit: nope he's too busy with a toy to come out), so other posters should fill in for him (hint hint everyone)

Do cockatiels do it? They have the capillaries in the same places so they must be physically able to flush, like when overheating, but has anyone noticed their 'tiel doing it too?

Years later and still learning new stuff from Bird Thread (best thread)

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 9, 2015

Nov 3, 2015

Bonny is still at the bad hooker stage, she lets me give her affection but shows no signs of liking it and expects to be payed afterwords.

Nov 3, 2015

I could not handle this, cursing parrots are one thing but this...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153084735892875&pnref=story

1500 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 9, 2015

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

1500 posted:

Bonny is still at the bad hooker stage, she lets me give her affection but shows no signs of liking it and expects to be payed afterwords.

They are called Hook Bills for a reason!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Staryberry posted:

They are called Hook Bills for a reason!

You are a dork.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

No not from him leave him alone

Results: IT'S STILL COMPLICATED.

(I seriously just love those two interacting)

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

I wanna scritch Ohtori so bad :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Battle Pigeon posted:

I'll write some stuff up in a bit, though take it with a grain of salt or whatever considering after almost three (?) years Inko still hasn't stepped up on to a hand yet

That'd be helpful :3:

1500 posted:

Sorry I am new, what type of bird is Eris?

If you know what treats he really likes, then try placing it between you and backing up, if he still does not go for it, back up a little more until he does. Then the place another peace, and stay a little closer. Keep doing this until you can stand next to him. The idea is to get him comfortable with you being closer and closer, and conditioning him that you being near means he gets treats.

If he does not like treats then hahaha, good luck, I am trying to figure that out with a family members Grey that could not care less about food.

She's a green-cheek conure! She sits close-ish to me (about one metre away from my face) and looks at me very intently but she doesn't come any closer.

She's also still not playing with any of her toys, but I'm not too worried yet, because she's been talking with the budgies a lot and hanging out with them when everyone's having out of cage time.

Today, the budgies sat on our hands and ran up our arms without being lured by seeds (we gave them seeds afterwards, though). I can get my hands very close to their faces now and they don't mind. Progress!