Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reisen
Aug 5, 2005

I did mine this morning and it went well! From the questions they were asking it sounds like they're targeting it at HBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Guys... guys... I need more Crime Scene in my life.. I am dying... I can't live without it..

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Crime Scene seems to have a better chance of coming back than The Genius at least. For whatever reason I really thought that "Grand Finale" didn't mean anything until I heard these recent English language interviews that pretty much make it sound like it's done.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm doing my Skypey thing for the UK version tomorrow, but based on the preliminary outline of things to think about that they gave me, they're going into this very thoughtfully. I know ITV is kind of a joke, but fingers crossed, right?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well it's a new label within ITV. This is the team that's doing it: http://realscreen.com/2014/08/14/hugill-itv-studios-launch-possessed-tv/

Seems like the head guy comes from a pretty promising background

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

Crime Scene seems to have a better chance of coming back than The Genius at least. For whatever reason I really thought that "Grand Finale" didn't mean anything until I heard these recent English language interviews that pretty much make it sound like it's done.

It's bcuz the subtitler repeatedly said that it was just a title

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm doing my Skypey thing for the UK version tomorrow, but based on the preliminary outline of things to think about that they gave me, they're going into this very thoughtfully. I know ITV is kind of a joke, but fingers crossed, right?

What is this Skypey thing?

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.

In the beginning of that interview one of the hosts mentions that he's running a kickstarter for Black & White and Monorail equivlents. The thing that caught my attention is that description for the Black & White game says something I can't figure out:

quote:

Something really neat: These cards are self-reading. In the past, to play a game like this players would need a third person to act as moderator, look at the played cards, and announce who had won each round.

Deduction cards are designed so no moderator is needed. Players know who won each round without finding out their opponent's played card. Everything you need is in the box.

How do self-reading cards even work? I've tried to find out, either through pictures or text descriptions, but nothing's coming up.

Edit: Store page for reference.

azsedcf fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 4, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The cards have slightly different weights, and you put them on a scale. That way the heavier card is worth more, and neither player sees the bottom of either card.

Naturally this is a loophole that strongly favors dongmin.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I want Dongmin in Crime Scene Season 3, and for him to commit a murder or discover his girlfriend is cheating on him prior to killing her because of a 5 gram weight difference he detects with his ~magic hands~.

I'll hop on board the possessed emailing bandwagon as well, gotta get the word out!

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
To be fair it's difficult to come up with a game that doesn't strongly favor Dongmin. Maybe that's why they stopped running The Genius, because they found one.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

azsedcf posted:

In the beginning of that interview one of the hosts mentions that he's running a kickstarter for Black & White and Monorail equivlents. The thing that caught my attention is that description for the Black & White game says something I can't figure out:

How do self-reading cards even work? I've tried to find out, either through pictures or text descriptions, but nothing's coming up.

Edit: Store page for reference.

One of the cards has crosses and check-marks at the bottom, iirc. The other has a hole. Overlay the cards and it'll say who wins depending on whether there's a cross or a check-mark shown through the hole. So the player with the hole puts his card's back against the front of the other card. He won't know what the other card is, but he can see whether he won.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Weird choices of games to try to make versions of. Monorail is already an existing game that presumably has some sort of licence over the concept and I'm not convinced Black & White can be won at a rate greater than chance.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Suspicious Dish posted:

What is this Skypey thing?

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

BrigBother, the guy who runs Bother's Bar (and who first twigged me onto The Genius) has posted a rather interesting development:

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Just wanted to update: I got an answer back -- This was definitely not UK only, so by all means get in on this.

I totally gooned it up, hope I helped anyway :ohdear:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

My only wish is that they create new games rather than recycling the games from the Korean version.

I really do hope that the Genius Korea isn't over. I don't understand why they'd abandon such a popular show after only 4 seasons. They might never find a player as good as God Emperor Dongmin ever again, but there are still so many games they could try.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Not to mention they need to bring Sungyu back so he can win without meddling managers this time :(

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

My only wish is that they create new games rather than recycling the games from the Korean version.

I really do hope that the Genius Korea isn't over. I don't understand why they'd abandon such a popular show after only 4 seasons. They might never find a player as good as God Emperor Dongmin ever again, but there are still so many games they could try.

Apparently it required a mountain of a production crew to make, and some of the team was pulled off to work on a new project.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The way I remember it is basically that the head producer is leaving, the guy who had his fingerprints all over the show and basically built it. So the head, knowing he was leaving, named the last season "Grand Finale," took everyone out for dinner after it was over, and basically signed off. Technically the station probably could decide to do a season 5, but it'd be under new management and with basically all new people, and the players interviewed seemed not to expect that to happen.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

We found the Genius. It's Dongmin.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The true grand finale of the Genius is going to be in 10 years, after there are numerous other foreign spinoffs, and the Dongmins of the world must come together for the international Genius

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

mr.capps posted:

The true grand finale of the Genius is going to be in 10 years, after there are numerous other foreign spinoffs, and the Dongmins of the world must come together for the international Genius

Hell yeah. A Genius where literally only the winners of the various seasons of the Genius around the world can participate. Grand prize $1 million guaranteed, garnets earned through the game can be used for more significant advantages than before but do not turn into money in the end.

The production costs do seem higher than usual with pretty nifty sets, LOTS of cameras, and lots of editing to find the best bits to broadcast and add in ~pierce~ eye effects and the soundtrack. I'd imagine Crime Scene is slightly more expensive given the writing and constant set rebuilding, but they only need to run like maybe 6 cameras compared to the dozens on the Genius so who knows. It'd be interesting to know the actual costs of each show, all I can do is offer guesses.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've just started watching Crime Scene (started with Season 2). I'd love to read more about the shows production and the "rules" behind it.

-How much do the players know? Do they only have background on their own story or everyone else as well?
-How much of their backstory is scripted and is there room for the player to create some of their own mythology on the spot?
-I'm also curious about the "people can't lie unless they are the killer" rule. Like, where is line drawn? Does not telling the whole truth count as a lie? (I'm thinking about the players that do the "no comment" type answers.)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
In the final episode, they show a bit of it -- every character gets a role sheet. This has a page or two about their background, and also the timeline for each character. The killer itself gets an extra few pages describing their "SECRET ROLE", describing their motivation and killing method. I'd imagine they're also informed by the crew as well.

Important bits of the backstory, like relationships, are scripted, but obviously cast members add their own charm by playing out the roles.

The killer is allowed to lie, but others are not. If asked directly, they are required to give an answer, but they don't have to say anything more -- they are allowed to tell part of the story or conceal information if they weren't directly asked about it. I don't remember anybody that gave "no comment" kind of answers when asked directly.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

xcore posted:

I've just started watching Crime Scene (started with Season 2). I'd love to read more about the shows production and the "rules" behind it.

-How much do the players know? Do they only have background on their own story or everyone else as well?
-How much of their backstory is scripted and is there room for the player to create some of their own mythology on the spot?
-I'm also curious about the "people can't lie unless they are the killer" rule. Like, where is line drawn? Does not telling the whole truth count as a lie? (I'm thinking about the players that do the "no comment" type answers.)

From what I've gathered:

1. They know everything about themselves and things they would reasonably know about people they're related to. For example, Girl A would know her own backstory and know about the romance she has with Boy A, but won't know that Boy A is cheating on her with Girl B until it's revealed through the game.
2. It seems to be scripted to quite a detailed level, especially for the killers. Sometimes, players can get on the wrong track and accuse someone about something stupid or irrelevant and they'll make something up on the spot but it never changes anything in the game.
3. Every question must be answered, even if it's "no comment." No comment is technically not lying so it's fine. Players would often try to downplay, distract, or sometimes just say "I'll tell you later."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

:siren:EXTREME WAYS UPDATE:siren:

Yohwan (Boxer) and Jinho (Yellow) are playing each other in the new Starcraft 2 expansion on twitch right now. It should be the top game in the Starcraft section.

They're playing in Archon mode, which is a new mode that lets two players control the same units. For example, one player can focus on making units and building up a base while the other only focuses on controlling the army units. Unfortunately they're playing against each other, so we can't have the Genius dream team. It's a showmatch, so there isn't really much at stake, just them messing around with the new units.

Check it out if you're even a casual Starcraft fan because it owns so far, and if you've ever been curious about what all the Jinho/Yohwan e-sport fuss was about now is a pretty drat rare chance to see them go at it in SC2!

You may be able to dig it up on a twitch archive or on youtube after the fact, but they can be hard to track down so don't miss out!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, they know their backstory extensively, which probably includes a big list of everything their character knows about the other characters.

The "no lying unless you're the killer" rule is interesting. I also suspect, based on how they play, that they are strongly encouraged by the producers not to reveal embarrassing details about their character until forced. Because otherwise, the winning strategy would always be to start by going around a circle and describing all their character's secrets.

NowonSA posted:

Yohwan (Boxer) and Jinho (Yellow) are playing each other in the new Starcraft 2 expansion on twitch right now. It should be the top game in the Starcraft section.

They're playing in Archon mode, which is a new mode that lets two players control the same units. For example, one player can focus on making units and building up a base while the other only focuses on controlling the army units. Unfortunately they're playing against each other, so we can't have the Genius dream team. It's a showmatch, so there isn't really much at stake, just them messing around with the new units.

Check it out if you're even a casual Starcraft fan because it owns so far, and if you've ever been curious about what all the Jinho/Yohwan e-sport fuss was about now is a pretty drat rare chance to see them go at it in SC2!

You may be able to dig it up on a twitch archive or on youtube after the fact, but they can be hard to track down so don't miss out!
Yes! This looks good, and Archon mode looks good.

The title of the stream is "WCS Global Finals - Round of 8" at the moment, but it's actually showing this showmatch right now. Jinho is partnered with NesTea, and Yohwan is with MVP -- both big-time starcraft legends, enough that I've heard of them even though I only watched a bit of SC2 a couple years ago and their biggest glory days were in SC1 Brood War.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 7, 2015

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I tuned in just in time to see Jinho get #2, but of course that isn't really a spoiler

Pengwin
Apr 3, 2007

MIND MIND MIND

NowonSA posted:

Jinho's interview is hilarious. "And I believe the 'Kong Line' is an exclusive club that not many players can be a part of."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Obviously either Jinho or Boxer lost the match, but I put 100% of the blame on whoever their worthless partner happened to be, regardless of the fact that they are probably the better players with more practice because they didn't attain the kind of celebrity that lets you appear on the Genius or get sent to a foreign country for a week with sweet, sweet Lady Jane.

Oh, and if you're a casual but fairly frequent Starcraft watcher like I am, there are some more crazy Archon matches ahead, and the World finals will be finishing up during the next few days.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I am going to team up with Kyungran and beat both of them.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The only thing missing was Dongmin showing up and beating both Jinho and Yohwan at once on his own, since he just decided to become a God of Starcraft.

Imagine how smoothly he could touch the keys with his ~magic hands~ :allears:.

Edit: Actually Dongmin owns a PC Bang right? This isn't so crazy after all...

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Bumdi is resubbing Season 1. Currently done with episode 1 so far.

I watched the first few minutes and it's pretty much the same, just some word changes here and here for clarity like changing the currency to dollars in the sub like the rest of the seasons do.

NowonSA posted:

Unfortunately they're playing against each other, so we can't have the Genius dream team.

If they were on the same team, they probably wouldn't even be able to get their units out of their base.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 7, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm so sad that after wanting to watch this show for 2 years now, and finally finding a good way to do so, by the time I actually caught up it was over.

It was so amazing...

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm so sad that after wanting to watch this show for 2 years now, and finally finding a good way to do so, by the time I actually caught up it was over.

It was so amazing...

At least you got to catch it all at once. There is so much amazing media out there right now that I'd love to be able to catch when it's completely wrapped up.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Started watching The Genius Game about a month ago, and man is it great. I'm currently half way through season 2 (Season 1 had more likeable characters imo). Can't wait to catch up to season 5!

Anyway, can someone tell me what the name of the music that plays when there is a big shocking/surprising twist or betrayal reveal.

Starts with kind of like a siren-like sound. I wish to use it for editing stuff.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Manic X posted:

Started watching The Genius Game about a month ago, and man is it great. I'm currently half way through season 2 (Season 1 had more likeable characters imo). Can't wait to catch up to season 5!

Anyway, can someone tell me what the name of the music that plays when there is a big shocking/surprising twist or betrayal reveal.

Starts with kind of like a siren-like sound. I wish to use it for editing stuff.

Extreme Ways?

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Omg, thank you!

For some reason despite featuring in nearly every episode, it's on none of the youtube playlists for The Genius Game OST.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Manic X posted:

Can't wait to catch up to season 5!

I've got some bad news for you.....

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

I've heard only good things about season 5, is it a disappointment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
it doesnt exist and wont