Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

boom boom boom posted:

You mean Daban copies good stuff well.

i don't care for bootlegs personally but bandai really doesn't need people white knighting for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

boom boom boom posted:

If it's just a flat out copy of a Bandai kit I don't really think that's appropriate to discuss itt. This forums has rules against talking about piracy of anime, seems like that should apply to piracy of Gundam models too.
Linking to pirated stuff is against the rules, but I don't really care too much about some casual off-hand discussion here and there as long as you're not like "Ha ha, suckers, paying for stuff while I get it for free/cheap!" or whatever.

Probably don't go on and on about it though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Actually, the more I think about it, I wonder if I did get the Daban FAUC PG set if I could mod the extra pair of thrusters I have from my normal PG FA set onto it, have it hold the second set of bazookas, and put up some stands with the shield funnels on them and just make something brazenly absurd out of it.

I might just do that, it sounds fun, so long as I don't gently caress it up.

Edit: Oh God and if someone makes some resin 1/60 AADE parts I can get even dumber.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Actually, the more I think about it, I wonder if I did get the Daban FAUC PG set if I could mod the extra pair of thrusters I have from my normal PG FA set onto it, have it hold the second set of bazookas, and put up some stands with the shield funnels on them and just make something brazenly absurd out of it.

I might just do that, it sounds fun, so long as I don't gently caress it up.

Edit: Oh God and if someone makes some resin 1/60 AADE parts I can get even dumber.

Rig the second set of boosters with the first to make a Crossbone esque maneuvering pack. :jeb:

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Any tips for cutting up masking tape to fit grooves/edges? I primed the insignia on my GM's shield last night but I'm worried it won't turn out too well because I can't tell if the masking tape is covering up into the insignia. Also I'm not sure how well I masked up the torso to paint the yellow exhausts.

Aside from that the base painting is almost done. I'm painting the boosters and touching up the front exhausts tonight (will probably have to touch up the body around the openings, if there are bits of primer that flecked onto it.)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of resin, is there a recommended shopping list/item to get to start making molds and resin casts?

Monaghan posted:

finishing building the pg strike rouge, so I figured I might a well build the skygrasper. There's some surprising seam lines on the sky grasper given that it's ostensibly a pg kit.

I also forgot how silly it looks. I can buy super robots, but I'm having a harder time buying the toyetic planes.

Shut your hole, the planes are awesome :colbert: I keep vacillating over the PG Skygrasper, even though I don't really intend to get the PG Strike. I did just drop dosh on the 1/100 Moebius Zero, though, so maybe after I see how that turns out I'll continue my Mwu La Flaga shrine given that there's a 1/100 bootleg Skygrasper apparently coming down the Dragon Momoko pipeline.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Hello gunpla nerds.

Does anyone know a good place to purchase Kotobukiya Model Support Goods online? I tried my cities local gunpla hobby shop, and they don't carry them, nor does the Kotobukiya US webstore for some reason. The particular part I need is not available on Amazon or eBay. I'm looking for "Kotobukiya [Modeling Support Goods] #D-103D Poly Unit T Joint" for a custom project, so if anyone can help me find one, or even suggest an alternative brand and model, I would really appreciate it.

MJP posted:

Speaking of resin, is there a recommended shopping list/item to get to start making molds and resin casts?

The OP of the miniatures painting thread has a really good walk through for using resin, I used it recently for casting some resin bases in a one-part latex mold and it went great.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You're looking for HLJ.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

This is exactly what I needed, thank you for taking the time to drop me a direct hyperlink.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Oh man, the MG Ball doesn't come with an action base mount? That's a crying shame.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Oh man, the MG Ball doesn't come with an action base mount? That's a crying shame.

Nope, but it does come with a neat scaffolding stand. AFAIK there isn't a way to mount it on an Action Base, but I guess we'll find out!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

Shut your hole, the planes are awesome :colbert: I keep vacillating over the PG Skygrasper, even though I don't really intend to get the PG Strike. I did just drop dosh on the 1/100 Moebius Zero, though, so maybe after I see how that turns out I'll continue my Mwu La Flaga shrine given that there's a 1/100 bootleg Skygrasper apparently coming down the Dragon Momoko pipeline.

The moebius zero looks cool, the skygrasper looks dumb as hell.:colbert:.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I still need to do panel lining and some touch-up work, but it's done!!

I color-swapped the red with purple, painted the exhausts yellow, painted the gun's tank purple and yellow, and painted the insignia on the shield, as well. The panel-lining I tried to do on the exhausts doesn't look that great, unfortunately, most likely due to my hands. The little fleck on the yellow piece set into the torso is actually me trying to panel line the edge between colors.

I painted the boosters, too. You can see the detail on the legs, where I painted instead of using stickers. Unfortunately, a bit of paint bled into the seam, which I will have to cover with some kind of primer or something. (Also you can see the inside of the foot where I didn't paint. Don't tell anyone, ok??)

The gun it comes with is great but it can hold other accessories fine too if you do the take-apart-the-hand routine. I think they look pretty good with the Dreissen's bazooka.

Though this is meant to be a "victory pose", the flaws in the paint job are most apparent here, particularly in the exhausts. I also need to paint the top of that middle torso piece with another layer of purple.

Any advice for future painting? I had a particularly hard time with those exhausts, and they don't look all that great, either. I should have done a better job painting them before I assembled and cemented the torso. But is there anything that a neophyte like me would miss that isn't apparent at first? Thank you so much for all the help~.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I'm looking to pick up a new MG soon, preferably a Feddie Grunt suit. Are there any kits y'all reccomended looking at or avoiding?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

What have you got already? It's hard to beat the Jesta.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
The only other MG I have is the Nu Ver. Ka, so I'm open to anything!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Get the MG Origin RX-78-2

How is it a grunt you ask? Well its something like the 7th MG rx-78 release. :v:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StalkofWheat posted:

The only other MG I have is the Nu Ver. Ka, so I'm open to anything!

the gm 2.0 is good if you want old-school feddie grunts. otherwise, as anonymous robot said, the jesta is very good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

StalkofWheat posted:

I'm looking to pick up a new MG soon, preferably a Feddie Grunt suit. Are there any kits y'all reccomended looking at or avoiding?

MG Jesta is super great, as is the MG ReZEL. If you're fine with the diaper, GM 2.0 is just as amazing as the Gundam 2.0. Ball vKa is also really great, though I don't know if that's what you're looking for. I guess the Nemo is okay too?

Sadly that's pretty much it, lately MG hasn't very kind to Federation suits.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There's the MG Nemo too. It's a little older but it's fine imo

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Nemo is a kit that's remained perpetually on my 'some day' list. I like it, though.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Jesta is super great, as is the MG ReZEL. If you're fine with the diaper, GM 2.0 is just as amazing as the Gundam 2.0. Ball vKa is also really great, though I don't know if that's what you're looking for. I guess the Nemo is okay too?

Sadly that's pretty much it, lately MG hasn't very kind to Federation suits.

If a grunt is not a Zaku or from 0079, it's not getting an MG kit.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

closeted republican posted:

If a grunt is not a Zaku or from 0079, it's not getting an MG kit.

Pretty much this. You can have the Jesta or ReZel's, but otherwise your best hope is the Re/100 to finally smile on the Federation grunts similar to how they did with the Dijeh.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Samba De Amigo posted:

Pretty much this. You can have the Jegan or ReZel's, but otherwise your best hope is the Re/100 finally smiling on you like they did with the Dijeh.

there's no mg Jegan

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Droyer posted:

there's no mg Jegan

Sorry lemme fix that, I meant the Jesta

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG is Zeon territory, HG is Federation.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Droyer posted:

there's no mg Jegan

There's potentially an upcoming RE/100 Jegan, though.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's potentially an upcoming RE/100 Jegan, though.

None of the suits on that list that aren't the Efreet or have the word "gundam" in the name have the slightest chance getting kits and you're allowing yourself to be lied to if you believe Bandai for a second when they say they're thinking about it.

I don't trust those bastards at all. Cynicism ahoy!

It'd be nice but I really don't want to be let down, there are too many good suits on the list.

Reds fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 14, 2015

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The last year has had like 7 different P-Bandai HG Jegans which to me says they're selling pretty well and that could influence a Bandai decision to make a 1/100 one of some sort.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Critique, comment, react, like, dislike, hate, attack. I took a Revive RX78 and kinda turned into a ground-type testbed. I overweathered it but I tried to make it look cool.

I'll try harder next time.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I really like the parts you added to the shield, it looks way bulkier and more useful for something that can't fly, and the sword looks cool, I like the gradient effect. It's kinda weird that the head doesn't seem to be weathered at all.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Great weathering! The grey and black looks really good on the RX78.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I have this image now of there being, like, a single motherfucker in southeast Asia who was lucky enough to get a ground-type that was actually built off of a finalized production chassis rather than just being a pile of mismatched spare parts, and constantly getting poo poo from the other pilots for it

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

:confused:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Leopard Gundams grow up so fast.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Maybe the other two just have bad posture.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You can get it to a proper height if you follow the original Leopard's lineart and get it bow-legged enough that the front skirt armor is near the bottom of the rectangular section of the thighs.

I'll probably take a saw to the thing later.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
I assume this is heavily modified since it's from a competition, but can anyone identify the kit this is based on?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bizarro Buddha posted:

I assume this is heavily modified since it's from a competition, but can anyone identify the kit this is based on?

Victory gundam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It's a Victory gundam, Details and quite a few parts from the dash pack make me think MG.