Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

PPills posted:

Yes. It happened to me last time, too. Seems bugged because CPU on one core maxes out and memory of svchost.exe jumps to around 1,400,000 bytes and I can't get any update whatsoever. I think I fixed it last time by using Rufus and installing Win 7 from flash drive. That's not an option this time since I have 100 GB of data on that flash drive, with nowhere to put it, so I cant create the ISO without formatting.

Thanks I'll check it out. The other program threw an error (something about the window being resized). Also was already in the process of using WSUSOffline but the program you recommended seems much easier. Hopefully this will bypass that bug in the future, as I don't have a problem with regular Windows Update, otherwise.

EDIT: Wait this program doesn't actually install the updates?

There's also a Powershell module that can handle Windows updates, if you're comfortable with the command line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

slidebite posted:

Not sure if this the right place to go but gonna ask,

Is there a legit source to download an old version of office? My wife has Office Ultimate 2007 on her PC and I'm going to do a full reformat and upgrade on her PC, but I don't have the ISO for it. I know it's old, but it great for what she uses office for.

There's not going to be a legit place for Office 2007. Microsoft pretty much only hosts latest versions.

I've probably got a disc laying around for it if you want to cover shipping I can send it your way, shoot me a PM.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

slidebite posted:

Not sure if this the right place to go but gonna ask,

Is there a legit source to download an old version of office? My wife has Office Ultimate 2007 on her PC and I'm going to do a full reformat and upgrade on her PC, but I don't have the ISO for it. I know it's old, but it great for what she uses office for.

This site has 2007, but not Ultimate:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/downloads/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

In looking for my old key, I found my receipt and it says I paid for a DVD media backup, so I think I might have it somewhere, appreciate the help though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I need to compare two nested folders and make sure their structure and the contents of files are identical. One folder is on a network share, one on a local disk.

Anyone have a program recommendation?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I need to compare two nested folders and make sure their structure and the contents of files are identical. One folder is on a network share, one on a local disk.

Anyone have a program recommendation?

Synctoy from Microsoft.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Medullah posted:

Synctoy from Microsoft.

Thanks, but I'm not needing to sync them, I need to compare them and and see which files differ.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
PowerShell? http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2011/10/08/easily-compare-two-folders-by-using-powershell.aspx

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Thanks, but I'm not needing to sync them, I need to compare them and and see which files differ.

Synctoy can still do that, you just run a preview.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Medullah posted:

Synctoy can still do that, you just run a preview.

Ahh, cool. I'll try it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Trying to create a usb to install a fresh copy of windows 10. The utility though doesn't have the option for windows 10 pro which is what i had. Will it just upgrade once i put the key in?

EDIT: yes it does nevermind

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 16, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Trying to create a usb to install a fresh copy of windows 10. The utility though doesn't have the option for windows 10 pro which is what i had. Will it just upgrade once i put the key in?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735712&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=40#post452636067

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Here's an odd one: I'm trying to scrape dropbox links from web chats like twitch's and log them to a file. I was thinking just some sorta tool to run and somehow interface with the browser window, I'm sure something like that has to exist.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

Here's an odd one: I'm trying to scrape dropbox links from web chats like twitch's and log them to a file. I was thinking just some sorta tool to run and somehow interface with the browser window, I'm sure something like that has to exist.

Just join the twitch channel with an IRC client and either grep the dropbox urls from a log of the entire chat or write a script to log dropbox links.

e: For a more general solution though I dunno.

Read fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 17, 2015

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I have kind of a weird question, not sure if this is the right place.

Is there any software that will listen to a skype (or other VoiP) conversation, and animate moving mouths to match the sound?

Kind of like Facerig but preferably low-fidelity and based on sound rather than a webcam. Plus it has to work for 2 people.

Does such a thing exist?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Any recommendations for file-level encryption?

Bunch of home users share a dropbox, but want to specifically encrypt excel docs (in case they escape dropbox)

Should be free, easy to use and have both mac/win versions

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is the OEM Windows license that came with my laptop suitable for use in activating a virtualized Windows 10 hosted from within Linux? I want to switch my development laptop to Linux but I still need to be able to occasionally use Lync.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I built a new computer and have been trying to move my Windows 10 by cloning the drive to a ssd which some googled guides say should work, but the ssd won't boot despite the copy. How should I go about doing this

Edit: I gave up and bought another copy of Windows

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 20, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Karthe posted:

Is the OEM Windows license that came with my laptop suitable for use in activating a virtualized Windows 10 hosted from within Linux? I want to switch my development laptop to Linux but I still need to be able to occasionally use Lync.

Yeah, that should be fine, as long as it's running on the same machine.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

spog posted:

Any recommendations for file-level encryption?

Bunch of home users share a dropbox, but want to specifically encrypt excel docs (in case they escape dropbox)

Should be free, easy to use and have both mac/win versions

Pretty sure Excel (and Word, etc.) has file encryption built-in. You go to like the Review tab or something and click on Secure This Document. It'll ask you to enter a password and that's that. You can still see the file name in a file browser but when you click on it you get a password prompt before it opens it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Butt Savage posted:

Pretty sure Excel (and Word, etc.) has file encryption built-in. You go to like the Review tab or something and click on Secure This Document. It'll ask you to enter a password and that's that. You can still see the file name in a file browser but when you click on it you get a password prompt before it opens it.

Ta for that. It would be a good idea, but my understanding is that Office encryption is weak for anything pre-2013 and I don't think all the users are on the latest version (I'm still on 2010)

Fake Edit: Ah - it seems that as long as the password protection is applied in 2013+, then we get strong encryption that can be opened in all versions of Office 2003+. That may work.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Are there any right-click menu editors worth a drat? For whatever reason I never bothered with something like that but would like to now. I guess FileMenu Tools is considered alright, but comes with the usual assortment of PUP crap or something.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I am having a weird excel problem, and I'm not sure why.

Usually, when I make a formula in excel, I can click (in the lower right corner of the cell) and drag it downward, and it auto-increments the cells it's looking at.

I'm trying to make one (it's below, since I figure it could matter what the content of it actually is), and it won't do this - the cells are all from line 2 of the spreadsheet, instead of looking across whatever line the formula is dragged to.

The formula:

code:
=CONCATENATE(C2,"^",D2,"^",E2,"^",B2)
Basically, I need to make this auto-increment all the way to:

code:
=CONCATENATE(C192,"^",D192,"^",E192,"^",B192)
... and I can't believe there isn't an easier way than typing it 191 times.

I also tried:

code:
=C2&"^"&D2&"^"&E2&"^"&B2)
... which gave the same result.

What am I missing?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I am having a weird excel problem, and I'm not sure why.

Usually, when I make a formula in excel, I can click (in the lower right corner of the cell) and drag it downward, and it auto-increments the cells it's looking at.

I'm trying to make one (it's below, since I figure it could matter what the content of it actually is), and it won't do this - the cells are all from line 2 of the spreadsheet, instead of looking across whatever line the formula is dragged to.

The formula:

code:
=CONCATENATE(C2,"^",D2,"^",E2,"^",B2)
Basically, I need to make this auto-increment all the way to:

code:
=CONCATENATE(C192,"^",D192,"^",E192,"^",B192)
... and I can't believe there isn't an easier way than typing it 191 times.

I also tried:

code:
=C2&"^"&D2&"^"&E2&"^"&B2)
... which gave the same result.

What am I missing?

Yeah, excel doesn't handle that kind of thing well. :( Unfortunately when I tried to find a way to do almost the same thing the only way I found was to write a macro/vbs script to do it in Excel. I'm not good at that so I said screw it and just typed them out.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Medullah posted:

Yeah, excel doesn't handle that kind of thing well. :( Unfortunately when I tried to find a way to do almost the same thing the only way I found was to write a macro/vbs script to do it in Excel. I'm not good at that so I said screw it and just typed them out.
I ended up finding a way to sort of fix it: I replaced the pure text with the value in a field, then absolute-referenced it.

Dragging down still gave a single result in the fields, but re-calculating correctly evaluated the fields.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm trying to open up some old files on my computer - WINDOWSLIVECONTACT files - which I assume are old Windows Live Messenger chat logs, but having no success looking through this thread or Googling it. Does anyone happen to have experience using a program to open this type of file?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

el oso posted:

I'm trying to open up some old files on my computer - WINDOWSLIVECONTACT files - which I assume are old Windows Live Messenger chat logs, but having no success looking through this thread or Googling it. Does anyone happen to have experience using a program to open this type of file?

What happens if you open it with a text editor?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I will go out of my way to tell my friends/family/coworkers/etc to avoid windows 10 like the plague. gently caress Microsoft's awful, awful new 'metro' poo poo.

I installed it a little more than a week ago, and today the start menu has stopped working entirely. Clicking the start button does nothing. Cortana does nothing. Windows-R opens a run dialog box and I can access the task manager, but no start menu.

I go to google and find that this is apparently common enough that there are articles dating back to febuary and earlier. Why the gently caress haven't they found and fixed such a big issue that's been around for at least 9 months now? So goddamn frustrated with MS right now.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Read posted:

What happens if you open it with a text editor?

Opening with Notepad just gives me something like:
¿FZ"=ÆP…Păœ@i1„I

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

khy posted:

I will go out of my way to tell my friends/family/coworkers/etc to avoid windows 10 like the plague. gently caress Microsoft's awful, awful new 'metro' poo poo.

I installed it a little more than a week ago, and today the start menu has stopped working entirely. Clicking the start button does nothing. Cortana does nothing. Windows-R opens a run dialog box and I can access the task manager, but no start menu.

I go to google and find that this is apparently common enough that there are articles dating back to febuary and earlier. Why the gently caress haven't they found and fixed such a big issue that's been around for at least 9 months now? So goddamn frustrated with MS right now.

Has nothing to do with Metro and Windows has always had stupid crippling bugs. They just work on a herd effect, it can't affect everyone right!?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I have a weird problem. I'm using a Windows 10 N version I upgraded from a Win 8 N version. The N versions don't have the Windows Media Player pre-installed but some programs like Adobe Premiere Pro need the WMP to start. The windows media feature pack is supposed to fix this problem but it did not work for me. I installed it but it doesn't look like it actually did anything, I still don't have the WMP and Premiere still refuses to start.

I really don't know what to do anymore :(. All I can find on Google is "Install the media feature pack".

Edit: Fixed it! I downgraded back to 8.1, installed the media feature pack for 8.1 and now I'm upgrading back to 10. A pain in the rear end to do it this way but at least it works now.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 21, 2015

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

el oso posted:

That's a list of contacts, not chatlogs, and it can only be opened by Windows Live Messenger itself. However since the Windows Live Messenger service was shut down in 2014, the contact list would be useless besides just looking at the names.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I have a large (5000+ page) PDF file with 1 or 2 pages (variable) each dedicated to a particular employee. The employee's ID is on the first page.

Is there any software that can automatically break up that file into the ~3000 sets of 1-2 pages for each employee, and name the resulting output file based on the employee ID (a text string) in the PDF page?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

Has nothing to do with Metro

Really? I was thinking it did because one of the fixes reinstalling all metro apps. And I know, Windows has always had bugs, this is just the first time I've seen the entire start menu fail. Happened at an incredibly inconvenient time as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

I have a large (5000+ page) PDF file with 1 or 2 pages (variable) each dedicated to a particular employee. The employee's ID is on the first page.

Is there any software that can automatically break up that file into the ~3000 sets of 1-2 pages for each employee, and name the resulting output file based on the employee ID (a text string) in the PDF page?

Probably not. Try here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2415898

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
So I'm building a new rig, and I ideally would like to install Windows 7 on it. Microsoft stopped selling it directly however, and some of my searches for a copy on Amazon look pretty shady according to some of the reviews (people selling previously used discs/product keys and passing them off as new, non-genuine copies etc.). Is there any way to get a legit new copy anymore? I currently run Windows 7 Enterprise (genuine) on this PC, is there any way to transfer that product key to a new PC, or am I boned?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

spog posted:

Ta for that. It would be a good idea, but my understanding is that Office encryption is weak for anything pre-2013 and I don't think all the users are on the latest version (I'm still on 2010)

Fake Edit: Ah - it seems that as long as the password protection is applied in 2013+, then we get strong encryption that can be opened in all versions of Office 2003+. That may work.

Yeah, anything after (I think) Office 97 uses AES-256, and that's pretty drat strong. The Review tab lets you protect the document from being altered, whereas if you do a "save as" you can change the general settings from there and select a modification or opening password.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sd6 posted:

So I'm building a new rig, and I ideally would like to install Windows 7 on it. Microsoft stopped selling it directly however, and some of my searches for a copy on Amazon look pretty shady according to some of the reviews (people selling previously used discs/product keys and passing them off as new, non-genuine copies etc.). Is there any way to get a legit new copy anymore? I currently run Windows 7 Enterprise (genuine) on this PC, is there any way to transfer that product key to a new PC, or am I boned?

If it's a legit key, it can be transferred to any computer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Swiftkey on Android has a nice feature that searches for emoji when you type something and suggests the appropriate emoji. So, like, if you type "OK," it suggests:

I was just thinking that something similar for Windows would be sweet. I often find myself looking up the alt-code for something like the em dash (—, aka ALT-0151). It would be cool if there was software that auto suggested symbol insertions.

Is there anything like that out there? I suppose I could whip up something with a text expander tool of some sort...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a number of nested directories that look like
pre:
Data
        stuff
            files
        stuff
            files
        stuff
            files
How can I remove the intermediate "stuff" folder from this structure? I'd do it by hand, but there are ~180 numerical folders.