Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been avoiding the news the last few days because I just didn't want to hear all the nasty poo poo and get further depressed. I just turned Fox News on and thankfully Shep was passionately pleading to his guest (and by proxy his viewers) not to "lose themselves" and "change what it means to be America" by giving in to fear and anger. I love that man. I continue to have no idea how you're still employed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

gently caress the US media to hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx6vdKZ7hRU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpLJbeGCds

Obama's legacy will be he was soft on radical islam.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I smell cigarettes and coffee when I hear that guy speak.

Also, article by Shahed Amanullah retweeted recently about this same poo poo.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-07-29/news/0707280320_1_muslim-americans-extremism-terror-victims

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Getting sick of repeating himself here, I think.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

AdjectiveNoun posted:

All the disasters of Western nation-building make me wonder how the gently caress the USA actually pulled it off successfully in post-WW2 Japan, leaving a stable government and prosperous society.

They were white (enough) :ssh:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mister Macys posted:

In that they were just as high on the rat bastard scale as white people, yes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

Were they? In the 40s?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Were they? In the 40s?

After they beat the Soviets in a previous naval war, yeah. They were invited to the big boy's table at the Paris Peace Conference after all, even if they didn't get what they wanted.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe, the biggest problem with the iraq war was cheny/bremer/etc outsorced it all to bored wallstreet execs and liberty universty interns. they tried to treat iraq as a test bed for all their economic/social bullshit. so they basically fired the army (which was the glue of alot of iraqi unity) and fired everyone in goverment and tried to privatize everything. they also didn't listen to the CIA or any intelligence branch at all because they were negative naciess who called them out on all this dumbshit. they hired people based on republican party loyalty/loyalty to the mission rather then skill or expertise. tons of other stupid awful poo poo too like not learning arabic, listning to obviously corrupt pieces of poo poo and not learning iraqi culture. basicaly dont do any of that poo poo. listen to experts and people on the ground. don't completely destroy the government,

This is some delusional War Nerd bullshit right here.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spiritus Nox posted:

Were they? In the 40s?

Yes. They were easily considered the 'good Asian' since they hated Russia too and we had kinda a weird noble savage thing going on with them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/michael-savage-threatens-leave-america-russia-because-its-best-country-left-planet

seems that master shakes wants to run off and live in glorious Putingrad.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tatum Girlparts posted:

we had kinda a weird noble savage thing going on with them.

What's this "had" nonsense?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yes. They were easily considered the 'good Asian' since they hated Russia too and we had kinda a weird noble savage thing going on with them.

Yeah Japan always had a pretty positive reputation among white supremacists that only went briefly out of style for WWII.

I recall reading the memoir of a half-Chinese woman whose fiance wanted her to claim to be half Japanese because it would make her being Asian more tolerable.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Keeshhound posted:

What's this "had" nonsense?

Well I meant at the time that helped them go from 'WE GOTTA BEAT THE JAPS' to 'hey the japs ain't too bad actually' so quickly. Yea there's a poo poo ton of old school racism that still is very much A Thing.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah Japan always had a pretty positive reputation among white supremacists that only went briefly out of style for WWII.

I recall reading the memoir of a half-Chinese woman whose fiance wanted her to claim to be half Japanese because it would make her being Asian more tolerable.

Yea more or less. China got to be the land of crazy barbarians to these kinds of people, Korea was seen as full of stupid farmers who are too busy being beaten up by everyone else for their lunch money to matter, and the rest of Asia other than India may as well not exist. Japan's the only Asian country that crazy racists will do the whole 'well ok they're not WHITE but yea they're ok,' thing.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

This is some delusional War Nerd bullshit right here.
The War Nerd is usually right though.

Michael Savage is not Master Shake, Mark Levin is Master Shake. Anyway, I'd welcome Michael Savage doing just that; he'll either be happier there and we don't have to listen to him, or he'll realize Russia is super hosed-up and miserable and he'll come back (and we can mock the hell out of him).

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 16, 2015

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

AdjectiveNoun posted:

All the disasters of Western nation-building make me wonder how the gently caress the USA actually pulled it off successfully in post-WW2 Japan, leaving a stable government and prosperous society.

As atrocious and bloodthirsty as WWII was, Japan agreed to surrender in a very cooperative way. Can you imagine jihadists doing the same if we nuked Syria or whatever?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

beatlegs posted:

As atrocious and bloodthirsty as WWII was, Japan agreed to surrender in a very cooperative way. Can you imagine jihadists doing the same if we nuked Syria or whatever?

Japan was also still a stable centralized government which Jihadists aren't

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

beatlegs posted:

By all accounts they loving wouldn't.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fade5 posted:

The War Nerd is usually right though.

Michael Savage is not Master Shake, Mark Levin is Master Shake. Anyway, I'd welcome Michael Savage doing just that; he'll either be happier there and we don't have to listen to him, or he'll realize Russia is super hosed-up and miserable and he'll come back (and we can mock the hell out of him).

sorry, i mix them up all the time. i dont know why.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Reconstruction worked in Japan because they submitted to the demands of the occupying force and embraced capitalism. This isn't hard to understand.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Typical Pubbie posted:

Reconstruction worked in Japan because they submitted to the demands of the occupying force and embraced capitalism. This isn't hard to understand.

lolno

Japan got a pat on its back instead of a slap on its wrist over its liberal usage of ethnic cleansing

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Typical Pubbie posted:

It was also a homogenous society before the war ever started. The Middle East is not; its population is segregated by religion and then even by family/tribal loyalties.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Also the US occupation of Japan was completely justified and the world recognized it as such including Japan's leadership. Like reading some of the posts in this thread you'd swear the US went all post-9/11 on the poor, hapless Japanese.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
There is a giant elephant in this discussion room, and the color of that elephant is red.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Well I meant at the time that helped them go from 'WE GOTTA BEAT THE JAPS' to 'hey the japs ain't too bad actually' so quickly. Yea there's a poo poo ton of old school racism that still is very much A Thing.

Yea more or less. China got to be the land of crazy barbarians to these kinds of people, Korea was seen as full of stupid farmers who are too busy being beaten up by everyone else for their lunch money to matter, and the rest of Asia other than India may as well not exist. Japan's the only Asian country that crazy racists will do the whole 'well ok they're not WHITE but yea they're ok,' thing.

"If they were good enough for the loving Nazis, well then by God, they're good enough for us!"
:hitler: (because I can't remember if there's a confederate battle flag smiley)

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mister Macys posted:

"If they were good enough for the loving Nazis, well then by God, they're good enough for us!"
:hitler: (because I can't remember if there's a confederate battle flag smiley)

:heritage:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Huh, never figured Santorum was willing to be so racist that he wants to send Christian refugees back to their deathtraps. Interesting year.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Huh, never figured Santorum was willing to be so racist that he wants to send Christian refugees back to their deathtraps. Interesting year.

He doesn't want to send them to a death trap he just thinks letting them run away from their problems sets a bad example and they should just stand up to those bullies

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He doesn't want to send them to a death trap he just thinks letting them run away from their problems sets a bad example and they should just stand up to those bullies

Come on guys, they can't kill all of us!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He also doesn't give a poo poo that Obama and our airstrikes are helping out exactly those groups he thinks should fight back against ISIL (see: Sinjar and the Yazidis, the Assyrian Christians and the Nineveh Plains/northwest Syria, and the Kurds with all of the above).

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

How can anyone watch this. Any time I see any news channel it's always like this. It's a news anchor who actively ignores everything the person they are talking to says. What does anyone gain from this poo poo?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

On the drive home I heard both Hannity and Master Shake talk about Obama embarrassing himself at the press conference today. I just watched the CNN clips and I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Did something specific happen or are they just mad about the usual state of - Is president/- Is black/- Does not want to send more Americans to die/- Did not execute Muslim children with his bare hands on camera?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Here's a long read from the gay marriage thread that should cheer everyone up:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/11/23/conversion-via-twitter-westboro-baptist-church-megan-phelps-roper?mbid=social_twitter

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hazo posted:

On the drive home I heard both Hannity and Master Shake talk about Obama embarrassing himself at the press conference today. I just watched the CNN clips and I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Did something specific happen or are they just mad about the usual state of - Is president/- Is black/- Does not want to send more Americans to die/- Did not execute Muslim children with his bare hands on camera?

We're getting the same thing in Canada - everyone calling our new PM Trudeau a "loving pussy" for pulling out and that Stephen Harper would have stood up to "those fukken pakis".

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

STAC Goat posted:

I continue to have no idea how you're still employed.

He knows all their secrets.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The_Rob posted:

How can anyone watch this. Any time I see any news channel it's always like this. It's a news anchor who actively ignores everything the person they are talking to says. What does anyone gain from this poo poo?

Cable news exists to be a constant white noise of pseudo information in the background of waiting rooms

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Hazo posted:

Obama isn't like real Daddy American Presidents.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hazo posted:

Conservatives are not feeling very humane at the moment, and do in fact want to bomb every standing structure and cluster of humanity in Syria, they did a bad thing and must be all punished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, they're pretty much just mad that Obama isn't blood lusty enough.

Like, didn't Ted Cruz explicitly criticize Obama for worrying too much about innocent casualties? Its straight up blood lust.