Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I know the first OVA was an original work, but if Saitama and the Police doesn't get animated I'm going to be very cross.

Also it's not a spoiler to mention that there exists a Murata side chapter involving Saitama and the Police.

Well, Saitama is the Demolition Man.

I presume he was responding to an SOS to the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

I dunno if this has come up earlier in the thread :shobon:

I like how there Hero Association is very, very much an embodiment of "These aren't the heroes you want or deserve, these are the hereoes that you get."

Like, every rank seems like it's mostly complete assholes on various types of power trip, with the odd good egg like Silver Fang or Mumen Rider. It's exactly the kind of thing that would happen IRL if a massive, shadowy organization offered to pay a salary to like the top 0.1% most violent people in the country to just kind of do their thing with zero consequences, as long as they occasionally stop a crime, and then also incentivized them to compete against each other for ranking.

It's so Armored Core that I wonder if ONE played as much Armored Core as I have...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, Saitama is the Demolition Man.

I presume he was responding to an SOS to the world?

I knew it would come to this

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I straight up laughed at PriPriPrisoner being launched into a building and spinning away still after slamming through it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy gently caress why isn't it next week already?????

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Ranzear posted:

It's so Armored Core that I wonder if ONE played as much Armored Core as I have...

Armored Core has plot? All I ever remember from those games is the gameplay. I really tried paying attention to the plot in the 360 games but I don't recall any of it.

Also these are really awesome

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think any of the Extra chapters are planned for OVAs, ONE is writing original stories for all...seven or however many there are.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-11-15/one-punch-man-anime-dvd-bds-to-include-6-ovas/.95403

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i don't think any of the Extra chapters are planned for OVAs, ONE is writing original stories for all...seven or however many there are.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-11-15/one-punch-man-anime-dvd-bds-to-include-6-ovas/.95403

I look forward to 6 original stories about Fubuki and Tatsumaki

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I look forward to 6 original stories about Fubuki and Tatsumaki

Fubuki keeps showing up in increasingly tighter shirts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Countered by Tatsumaki's increasingly tighter skirts.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

haha

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Sea King is amazingly menacing because of the goofy clown facepaint and heart nipples.

His powered up form is kinda lame looking in comparison. The above wouldn't work nearly as well with a generic fish monster.

Also Saitama's run :3:

that screenshot is hxh as gently caress

totally looks like a gon/hisoka moment

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zark the Damned posted:

Sea King is amazingly menacing because of the goofy clown facepaint and heart nipples.

His powered up form is kinda lame looking in comparison. The above wouldn't work nearly as well with a generic fish monster.

Also Saitama's run :3:

Yeah, Sea King staying a dude with heart nipple pasties would have been cool, but the way the anime handles his fishmonster form is fine too imo.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Demicol posted:

Armored Core has plot? All I ever remember from those games is the gameplay. I really tried paying attention to the plot in the 360 games but I don't recall any of it.

Yeah, AC actually does have plot and it actually does loosely span all of the games, but paying attention to it isn't necessary indeed. Everyone living underground on Earth in AC1 and Phantasma simply don't know about the people living on Mars in AC2 and AA. AC3 returns people to the surface, and the anti-satellite cannons in Silent Line (to destroy the satellite guarding the exclusion zone) are the same ones in AC4 and For Answer. I assume what drove everyone underground in the first place was Kojima technology, which was rediscovered in either Nexus or Last Raven (which are on my shelf but I haven't played yet). AC5 and its expansion are garbage and might as well be a rail shooter, but the antagonists discover and restore the final boss (Aretha) of AC4A hundreds of years later. Everything before AC3 was plagued with bad translation.

Anyway, what it really invokes is the arena ranking of other pilots. Some were really themed, like the guy with all machineguns and obsessed with the number 1, because ichi-ichi-ichi-ichi-ichi-ichi-ichi...

Some pilots don't progress in rank because they like to hammer the newbies (gently caress you Roadie!) The highest ranks don't really affect your mission selection (for story reasons), but it's implied that higher ranks get more dangerous missions. Higher ranked ACs also like to show up in later missions to harass you and fighting them is usually optional. If you kill them during a mission they actually disappear from the arena.

Also, From Software isn't without habits and references. Ornstein and Smough. The Moonlight blades... They love tying stuff together even across series.

:mordin:

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 23, 2015

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I like Sea King in both his goofy clownface and his goofy bowser-ed up forms.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Genos has come so far already. Thank god Saitama was around to train that Naruto run garbage out of his system.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RareAcumen posted:

Genos has come so far already. Thank god Saitama was around to train that Naruto run garbage out of his system.

Dude probably ran countless computer simulations on Saitama's running form

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
It makes more sense anyways. Saitama is all about utility and doesn't believe in showing off. Which makes it all the more intimidating when he actually does put effort into something.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Saitama is just a stylish mover.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

RareAcumen posted:

Is Genos looking at himself?? :v:

"Man....I looked so dorky."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Holy gently caress why isn't it next week already?????

Yeah, I made the mistake of watching this series on Hulu after finding out about it last week and now I'm waiting for the next episode because Saitama is looking like he's going to gently caress the Sea King up at the shelter.

Hopefully the poor bike rider doesn't get murdered too terribly before Saitama shows up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, I made the mistake of watching this series on Hulu after finding out about it last week and now I'm waiting for the next episode because Saitama is looking like he's going to gently caress the Sea King up at the shelter.

Hopefully the poor bike rider doesn't get murdered too terribly before Saitama shows up.

Like any mere monster could hope to stop LICENSELESS RIDER, THE BICYCLIST FOR JUSTICE! I'm sure he'll do great.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

chiasaur11 posted:

Like any mere monster could hope to stop LICENSELESS RIDER, THE BICYCLIST FOR JUSTICE! I'm sure he'll do great.

The inherent contradiction of being the foremost servant of justice among the heroes while constantly breaking the law by riding without a license is a fatal weakness, though. It strips him of his rightful power.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The Sandman posted:

The inherent contradiction of being the foremost servant of justice among the heroes while constantly breaking the law by riding without a license is a fatal weakness, though. It strips him of his rightful power.

He actually sticks rigidly to the law. The license being referred to is a motorcycle license.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It'd be kind of hosed up if you needed a license to ride a bicycle.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On the other hand, if you had to learn road safety on a Bike before you could ride one on the roads, it'd save a fair few lives I bet.

I would like Licenceless to teach me the proper way to ride with justice, put it that way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, she may not be the most popular critic in this subforum, but Hope 'JesuOtaku' Chapman's description of the Sea King as 'The Creature from the Fab Lagoon' is basically perfect.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rider stopping at the red light was just great.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

But he didn't go when it was green! What a disgrace!

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

a kitten posted:

I was asking myself why Rider was even doing that, then I remembered it's actually the law and most cyclists just ignore it. :sigh:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Fuckshoes posted:

I was asking myself why Rider was even doing that, then I remembered it's actually the law and most cyclists just ignore it. :sigh:

He's the hero we need and deserve.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Fuckshoes posted:

not in civilized countries

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Fuckshoes posted:

Not in Japan they don't! You stop at red lights, no matter what!

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

drat, Sonic has a totally garbage butt. Can't see what Prisoner sees in him.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
His gorgeous smile.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Episodes 4 and 8 are probably my favorite ones, and a lot of it has to do with the voice acting and presentation of Asura Kabuto and the Sea King. Especially Asura Kabuto. Dude's just brimming with overconfidence and swagger. He's like a middle-aged man + an anime delinquent. His voice, his tone, his mannerisms like doing the double gun pointing fingers, etc. etc. are fantastic. And then he enters Asura Mode and it's even better.

Episode 4 also probably had my favorite fight scene so far in the series. A lot of the time I feel like the art is downgraded from Murata's version, which probably isn't really fair since Murata deals with pages while the anime actually deals with moving scenes. For instance, Sonic's rapid moving around is impressive in the Murata version because you get this sense of motion, like a flipbook, but in the anime it's just a bunch of fast lines. I also preferred Murata's take on the Genos vs Saitama training session.

On the other hand, Asura Kabuto fighting against Saitama with the music and the entire background changing and Saitama bouncing off the walls and pretty much everything was so loving amazing.

Similarly, Pri Pri Prisoner's Angel Transformation + Angel Rush is a lot more vivid and awe-inspiring in the anime. A lot of it has to do with the impact of Pri-Pri Prisoner spreading his wings, whereas the transformation was just a single panel in Murata's version.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Compendium posted:

His gorgeous smile.

You mean his child-like smile.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

You mean his child-like smile.

Full of innocence and mirth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Kilson posted:

Not in Japan they don't! You stop at red lights, no matter what!
You can't even make the right hand turn (left in Japan) during a red light.

• Locked thread