Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Well adventure had a budget of animation of about $5 and then Episode 21 as a standout done by Mamoru Hosada.

You know I'd be happy with an Adventure that was remade with half the budget of Tri.

Want to see those Myotismon fights so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
As great as Tri looks there's still some bits that are rough around the edges, not enough to be a negative, just that the budget is probably not That amazing, but having a schedule of essentially an episode worth of content per month is what does the looks, so a scenario where they do 51 episodes of it is probably doomed in all ways.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

As great as Tri looks there's still some bits that are rough around the edges, not enough to be a negative, just that the budget is probably not That amazing, but having a schedule of essentially an episode worth of content per month is what does the looks, so a scenario where they do 51 episodes of it is probably doomed in all ways.

Don't ruin this for me

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Burkion posted:

Don't ruin this for me

something technically already has to be happening for it to be ruined for you. Like "Hey they announced they're remaking Adventure! I hope it has Tri's budget" "Uhhhhh"

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
On the other hand you could end up in a Sailor Moon Crystal situation, which I don't think anybody wants. I'm cool with Tri doing its thing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

kefkafloyd posted:

On the other hand you could end up in a Sailor Moon Crystal situation, which I don't think anybody wants. I'm cool with Tri doing its thing.

People are still comparing Tri now to Crystal.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

kefkafloyd posted:

Sailor Moon Crystal: Reminding people that sometimes nostalgia is a motherfucker.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Omnicrom posted:

People pointed out that Tri seems to be cribbing heavily from Tamers in terms of scope and focus, but I wasn't expecting them to almost literally copy the Tamers evolution sequence as well. I do like the little detail of Patamon folding in his wings to fit in the egg.

I think that's more "between 02 and now we figured out a cool way to digivolve from Rookie to Champion, might as well use it for Tri" than being a lazy copy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the first digimon was good when you were a kid, why not keep it that way

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

There are shades of the Omegamon evolution in there as well with how the white egg is formed and cracked. Still, I was really hoping for textures to be fling into the models instead of the spins.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That being said, a lot of modern major release anime tends to get cleaned up considerably for their blu-ray/DVD release. lovely facial animation, specifically.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Onmi posted:

People are still comparing Tri now to Crystal.

If it's used as the HOW THIS SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED counterpoint to Crystal then I'm all for it :colbert:

Seriously though if Season 2 of that isn't six movies with two for each arc I will eat crow.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

If it's used as the HOW THIS SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED counterpoint to Crystal then I'm all for it :colbert:

Seriously though if Season 2 of that isn't six movies with two for each arc I will eat crow.

No it's used in the "Man Tri is poo poo, just like Sailor Moon Crystal! gently caress Toei!" way. Lots of complaints about the animation and the faces and the stills and half drawn backgrounds and other poo poo that's mostly inconsequential. Also a lot of crying that "Taichi is such a pussy now!"

Now, in non-stupid stuff there's been a translated interview

quote:

|| Hanae Natsuki and Hosoya Yoshimasa’s talk on “Digimon Adventure tri. Chapter 1 - Reunion.”

—-What impression do you have of the original series “Digimon Adventure”? I’ve heard that you in particular, Hanae-san, are a big fan.
Hanae Natsuki: “I’m from what’s called the ’Digimon generation,’ who watched it live on TV when it was broadcast. When "tri.” was announced, I was happy about it as any regular fan. That was why, when I was invited to audition for it, I was extremely surprised. (laughs)“

—-Who would have thought that the cast would be changed, huh?
Hanae: "I’d thought the old cast would be kept too, naturally, so I was simply shocked. When I heard that I would have the chance to audition for it, I was happy about it in a slightly fanboy sense, and when I was actually doing the audition, I wondered if it wasn’t all just a dream. But, because the series has a huge fanbase, because it’s a series that I personally love, and also because it was a character that I’m already quite emotionally attached to, I got a bit scared when I thought that it was going to be me voicing [Taichi]. I was more or less worried if I would be able to pull off voicing Taichi well, if at all.”

—-How about you, Hosoya-san?
Hosoya Yoshimasa: “I’m not from the ’Digimon generation,’ so I didn’t watch it on TV live, but back in the day, when I heard the title "Digimon,” I thought that it was merely a series about digital monsters going around fighting one another. When I was invited to audition for it and I took an actual look at the series, it turned out to be about the character growth of children and their bonds with their partner Digimon. I was surprised because it was completely different from what I had thought it would be about. (laughs)“

—-So it was different from what you had imagined.
Hosoya: "And then, when it came time to audition for it, Hikari’s voice actor MAO-san was also there, and when I asked her if she knew about "Digimon,” she said, “I’m from that generation. I love it!” and I thought, hmm, maybe this isn’t going to work out for me. (laughs) But it honestly was a role that I really wanted to do.“

—-For what reason?
Hosoya: "I’ve been greatly in debt to Director Motonaga Keitaro, the director for "tri.,” in the past, and I wanted to work on another series with him once more. The first time we’d worked together, I was still very young without a clue on how to go about things, and the director gave me a lot of advice. Now that I’m a little more experienced and I feel that I’m more or less a more reliable person than I was before, I wanted to work with Director Motonaga once more. Director Motonaga crafts his works out to be very interesting. Even though I am an actor, his work environment is a place where I can leave my position as a performer and speak frankly with him about what I think about the artwork and music and such, so I challenged myself in that audition so that I may work with the director once again.“

—-I think it is a rather rare case, as it was done for "tri.,” to have an entirely different cast voice the grown-up versions of an already existing series. How did you feel about this challenge?
Hanae: “Oh, I was a wreck.”

—-Since this series is something particularly dear to you, Hanae-san, you must have felt double your share of worry.
Hanae: “To me, Taichi is Fujita (Toshiko)-san, so I was very worried. Fujita-san has a really unique voice that I thought was perfect for Taichi. In my audition, I went with an open attitude and voiced Taichi as naturally as I could, but it was majorly with the conviction that I wouldn’t get the part even though I might as well try. To share my honest opinion here, I couldn’t overlap my image of myself with Taichi. That was why, when it came time for my audition, I wondered whether I should – not mimic Fujita-san’s unique voice, but bring my voice as close to hers as possible. But since Fujita-san’s Taichi can only be done by Fujita-san, I decided to build a new Taichi, a more grown-up Taichi, within myself. However, I did keep in mind that he did adventure with Agumon and the others through the Digital World as a child, and I kept those memories close inside my heart as I performed.”
Hosoya: “In my case, Yamato is voiced by my super, super senpai, Kazama (Yuuto)-san, but I tried my best to not let that affect me, other than to accept that that was the case. I feel that it is imperative to bring out the meaning for why I, specifically, was chosen for the cast, and I think that it is important to go forward with it through my own unfiltered feelings.”

—-So Yamato is who he is as performed by Hosoya Yoshimasa through-and-through, is it?
Hosoya: “He’s a very much loved character, and I think that the Yamato performed by Kazama-san in the past has a great influence to it. If I were younger, I would have adopted a very formal attitude for the post-recording, but I remembered that it was around that time that, whenever I try to change my stance, I always end up making a mess. I began thinking that, no matter what series I work for, I always want to be in a flat state of mind, so I try not to be affected by the voices of those around me. While I can’t perform Kazama-san’s Yamato, I want to believe that my Yamato is one that cannot be performed by Kazama-san either, and I think that building my rendition of Yamato is the meaning behind why I was chosen for the role, so that is how I approached it.”

—-Doesn’t such a series with a big fanbase also come with many outspoken thoughts though?
Hosoya: “I actually did the recording after shaking off those voices. Naturally, there are going to be mixed reviews. That was what I anticipated. But on the day when the movie would actually be released in theaters and people saw Yamato moving– Maybe they won’t accept him at that exact moment, but I absolutely wanted people to accept him, so that was how I’d psyched myself as I recorded. However, when I attended the "Digimon” event and saw the bright, shining eyes of the fans who anticipated this series, I felt over again how much love these pure-hearted people have for this anime, and how I’m going to be voicing in such a cherished series, and that was when I suddenly felt a ton of pressure. (laughs) I’m glad that the event took place after the post-recording was over.“

—-So you’ll be in for some hardship from Chapter 2 onward.
Hosoya: "Yes, seriously. In my case, the pressure from Chapter 2 onward will probably be greater than what I’d felt now. (laughs)”

—-What impression do you have of your roles as Taichi and Yamato?
Hosoya: “I thought that Hanae-kun’s version of Taichi was realistically mature. There are certain things that you just can’t beat when you’re faced with a mature standpoint. When someone who’s the same age as you isn’t forcefully trying to persuade you but listens to you in silence, and isn’t negating you from the get-go but doing so after knowing everything about where either side stands, it made me feel, as I was acting, that maybe I was the one doing something wrong. Seeing that performance made me think that Hanae-kun was very mature. (laughs)”
Hanae: “I, on the other hand, felt very strongly from Hosoya-san’s Yamato his unchanging, straightforward attitude, his "We’re the ones who have to do something!” so I was performing while feeling somewhat apologetic for my stance.“
Hosoya: "That’s what a mature person does. (laughs)”
Hanae: “But while performing, the emotional distance between two high school students of the same age felt very realistic.”

—-I’m sure that Taichi and Yamato’s relationship will be a major focal point in the series, but what else do you think will develop from Chapter 2 onward?
Hanae: (while looking at the key visual poster) “Maybe this part of Omegamon’s hand will turn into another Digimon…”
Hosoya: “A fusion?”
Hanae: “Something that’ll make you go ’Is that even possible?!’ (laughs) Also, I’d like it if lots of familiar Digimon re-appear, and new Digimon appear, and they evolve and turn into cool-looking Perfect Levels… My imagination could just go on.”
Hosoya: “I think that Taichi and Yamato’s relationship will go through growths and changes. Maybe there will even be a successful romantic relationship (laughs).”
Hanae: “Yes, maybe. In a rather unexpected place. (laughs) Also, I’d like to see Taichi’s growth throughout all six chapters. I want to see a Taichi who’s overcome the irritations of adulthood.”
Hosoya: “When that happens to Taichi, he’ll be strong.”
Hanae: “He’ll be invincible.”

—-I look forward to seeing Yamato when that happens to him as well.
Hosoya: “I get this feeling that Yamato already understands. Even while I’m performing as him, I wonder, what is this feeling of understanding that I’m having. However, it’s exactly because he understands that he can’t be honest about it; he’s at the very height of high school adolescence. I think that the fans are naturally looking forward to the relationships between the Digimon and children, but since this is going to be for six chapters, I’d like it if there was also scenes of hesitation and wavering that are characteristic of adolescence.”

—-In closing, please give us a message to the fans who are looking forward to the theatrical release.
Hanae: “I think the contents of Chapter 1 “Reunion” are fitting of its title. It includes the “reunion” of the Digimon series with its fans, so those who really love it might naturally end up crying from watching it. Although “tri.” is a product of 16 years after the very first series, I believe that it is a “Digimon” that can only be made now, and it contains a lot of the love for the “Digimon” from back then. I think that the first chapter is definitely something that not only the old fans can love, but the people who have never watched “Digimon” before as well. So please go to see the theatrical release, and I’d be happy if you could also purchase the Blu-ray disc that is being sold in advance at theaters. (laughs) Thank you very much.”
Hosoya: "For all of the fans of ‘Digimon,’ and all of those anticipating 'Digimon,’ the release of this first chapter will not only be a big surprise, but also like a really big present. However, on the production side, it is only chapter 1 of 6, so I think that the excitement will only grow from here. The word “reunion” is not only the “reunion” of the children and their Digimon, but the “reunion” of everyone with the “Digimon Adventure” series. There are many meanings to it, but to bring even further excitement to this “reunion,” in this first chapter, the same music from 16 years ago plays within the childrens’ conversations as they lead their daily lives. Just that makes me feel as if we’re a part of a festival, so I would greatly appreciate it if everyone else joined along in this festival and began by seeing Chapter 1 in theaters. Thank you very much.”

—-Thank you very much.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh no I get that.

Frankly Toei set themselves up for that comparison given their general output as of World Trigger. I was just praying that it wouldn't be an utter disaster like Crystal and that seems to have been avoided.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

That being said, a lot of modern major release anime tends to get cleaned up considerably for their blu-ray/DVD release. lovely facial animation, specifically.

Totally, but I highly doubt Tri will see that sorta clean up, or rather it already got it, since BD were being sold the day of release.

Cool detail, you can actually see Omegamon split to MetalGarurumon and WarGreymon before the explosion blasts them off.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 24, 2015

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I'm late to the thread, but I love Digimon and just started watching this today.

I'm amazed in the best way. I pretty much gave up after Frontier and Savers disappointed me, so this is like a breath of fresh air.

That it seems to be a mashup of Adventure with Tamers (my favorite season) is wonderful. I really like the new character designs, the returning cast for the Digimon, and all the fresh versions of the original music. I think I'm feeling an equal mix of nostalgia and glee right now. :3:

Very interested to see how the story unfolds.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Hunh. You know, it isn't very often that a show meets my expectations exactly.

So far it's been really entertaining, even if it's yet to do anything that isn't setup. I didn't really expect it to, considering we still have another 5 movies. I expect the pacing will more strongly correlate to a 24-episode series than it will to a line of connected films, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but makes it sort of hard to judge each entry on its own merits.

My only real gripe is that they didn't really give any reason why they only went into their Adult forms when they were getting stomped by the competition; it isn't like their Perfect forms are any larger or anything. Hell, Wargreymon's tiny compared to Greymon, and has the utility of being able to fly, which would've helped to keep the fight under the radar. The obvious reason is they didn't have the evolution stock animations ready for those evolutions yet, but it would've been nice to at least offer a vague explanation. Speaking of which, I was very disappointed that Omegamon didn't get a shiny new Jogress-style evolution sequence.

Also Meicomon looks like a rejected Sonic character.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I feel like it might be hyperbole to say this only 4 episodes (or 1 movie, whatever) in but so far Tri is pretty much what I've always wanted out of a new Digimon. I've always loved the cast of Adventure, the way they interact with each other is great and their individual personalities are all really interesting to me in a way that just never happened again afterward. I liked 02 well enough despite it's many problems because it was just some mindless fun, and sometimes the older characters would do something and that was neat (also I thought Ken was a good character unlike the other new kids), but Tamers has never resonated with me the way it seems to with a lot of people. Frontier I enjoyed on the same sort of level as 02 where it's just sort of fun but unsubstantial in the long run. I never got more than a few episodes into Savers or Xros Wars because they just immediately felt wrong to me. Tri, on the other hand, seems to be a passion project where they just sort of abandoned the easy money making route of aiming it at kids again, since they're all about Yokai Watch now anyway. Also, aside from the random superboss showing up in episode 4 out of nowhere when all they were doing before was fighting chump-rear end Kuwagamons, the pacing is really good. It's giving the characters room to breathe, and letting them show how they've matured and how there's a bit more to them now compared to the other seasons. I expected like 7 minutes of setup, all the partners are back (or at least Agumon), Digivolve, take out the badmon, WHAT'S REALLY GOING ON HERE.... to all happen in episode 1, and I was pleasantly surprised when it didn't.

So yeah hopefully the rest can keep on track because for something that's starting out as Literally Exactly What I Want it would be a drat shame if they drop the ball later on.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yay! Tri is out! And it's actually pretty good!

My thoughts on the first 4 episodes:

-The animation is gorgeous! Holy cow this studio knows how to do backgrounds.

-Good fight scenes so far. The new evolution animations are pretty boss.

-The CGI is well done and well integrated but I can still tell when it's on screen and this bugs the poo poo out of me. This might only be a problem for me though since CG in 2d animation is a pet peeve of mine.

-The new character designs are fine but I think they lost some of the personality of the original series. One of the things I've always loved about Adventure was how different and distinct all the characters were from one another visually so it's a bit disappointing to see the designs go in a more generic direction.

-Mimi somehow became my new favorite character. Not sure when or how this happened.

-Still hoping against hope that the Dark Ocean will be involved somehow. I've wanted to see something cool done with that concept for over a decade now.

-As a former owner of a maine coon I love the hell out of the new digimon addition.

-Tai's doubts are reasonable should have been better articulated earlier on in the show. A lot of the drama this generates feels a bit artificial and I don't buy him straight up not fighting to save the city because he's worried he might damage it.

-There is much lifting from Tamers here. I approve. Let's get Lovecraftian and deeply traumatic up in this bitch!

-WHAT THE gently caress IS UP WITH THIS DUDE'S PHONE!?

Am I missing something? Because it looks like it closes in the most awkward way possible.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

readingatwork posted:

-WHAT THE gently caress IS UP WITH THIS DUDE'S PHONE!?

Am I missing something? Because it looks like it closes in the most awkward way possible.

I just assumed the screen magically rotates because Japanese technology.

Edit: Actually, this can just be answered by "Japanese technology."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

2005 was a scary, scary time.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Japan's always had more... interesting cellphones than the west has. For better and for worse.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The phones with TV tuners generally had rotating screens.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have watched:
-all of the first series I am pretty sure
-a good chunk of the second one (ditching your destined partner to create a cooler one made of bits and pieces of other digimon felt like pure loving evil to young me)
-a bunch of the third one

All of these in dub versions. Now, I hear that the dub butchers Mimi's character something fierce; that being said, I am considering rewatching them and eventually take a gander at the newer ones. Any recommendation on wheter dubs or subs are more appropriate?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have watched:
-a good chunk of the second one (ditching your destined partner to create a cooler one made of bits and pieces of other digimon felt like pure loving evil to young me)

All of these in dub versions. Now, I hear that the dub butchers Mimi's character something fierce; that being said, I am considering rewatching them and eventually take a gander at the newer ones. Any recommendation on wheter dubs or subs are more appropriate?

I'll always have a place in my heart for the dubs but subs are without a doubt the way to go.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have watched:

Honestly Mimi wasn't butchered.

It's just the difference between Japanese Girly and American Girly. One thing that's very striking to me about Tri, having never seen anything but the dub for season 1, is that the characters are all still spot on. The dub did a very good job staying faithful to them all, I think anyways- they just were a bit more chatty at times.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The dubs are better, imo. They are very good dubs.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Burkion posted:

Honestly Mimi wasn't butchered.

It's just the difference between Japanese Girly and American Girly.

Could you elaborate on this a bit? I am not familiar with Japanese culture. I only know that she seemed incredibly incompetent and whiny in the dub I remember and it apparently wasn't so in the original.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

paradoxGentleman posted:

Could you elaborate on this a bit? I am not familiar with Japanese culture. I only know that she seemed incredibly incompetent and whiny in the dub I remember and it apparently wasn't so in the original.

Let me tell you this- there really isn't MUCH of a difference beyond cultural weirdness. I can't speak to the exact specifics because I haven't seen the sub, I'm just guessing based on Tri and the Dub. Mimi in the original might not have been as outspoken and loud, as she seems a bit more restrained in Tri- but that could also just be her maturing.

Because here's the thing, Mimi is awesome no matter the language. How she says what she says is the only difference- what she does is absolute. In both I feel confident enough to say, she is a very true to herself kind of person, very sincere and not at all worried about what she says bothering others. Mimi is the kind of person who would honestly not mention she had survival gear just because she didn't think they really needed it, and reacts to danger and threats by steeling her resolve and standing them down.

She literally constructs an army of Digimon to combat the Dark Masters with only Joe by her side. The only time she freaks out, it isn't because things are scary or dangerous, it's because people they know and love are getting hurt and she wants it to stop.

Mimi is, in any language, a force of personality that you either gel with or you don't.

And the fantastic thing about her is that she's feminine as gently caress and that doesn't factor INTO her force of personality at all. She just is.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

mikeycp posted:

The dubs are better, imo. They are very good dubs.

I remember giving 01 a bit of a look awhile ago on Netflix and it struck me just how much Digital Monsters never shuts the gently caress up. It was especially noticeable comparing the Hasoda episode between Digital Monsters and Adventure.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The dub is really good, especially when it mentions Mimi's little brother or Tai's dog. Or when it changes the soundtrack to garbage. Or even better, when it gives splash sounds to what is very clearly fire.

I don't get why anyone defends this beyond sheer nostalgia. I'm not even that big of an Adventure fan and what that dub did still looks terrible to me.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Blaze Dragon posted:

The dub is really good, especially when it mentions Mimi's little brother or Tai's dog. Or when it changes the soundtrack to garbage. Or even better, when it gives splash sounds to what is very clearly fire.

I don't get why anyone defends this beyond sheer nostalgia. I'm not even that big of an Adventure fan and what that dub did still looks terrible to me.

Yes indeed. It was very good. So deliciously camp!

Ah, memories... :allears:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Yes indeed. So deliciously crap!

Fixed.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Am I out of luck watching Adventure 01/02 in japanese now? Apparently Netflix dropped the support on it a few months back and CR only has the dub as well.

e: vvv Got it, thanks :patriot:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 26, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Emalde posted:

Am I out of luck watching Adventure 01/02 in japanese now? Apparently Netflix dropped the support on it a few months back and CR only has the dub as well.

You'd have to look at

Other

Places to find it subbed. It's one of the main reasons I stalled out on watching it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I always preferred the dub. They had one or two regular voice actors without going overboard on Those People Who Are In Every Dub. The Japanese voices have one or two people who are Obviously Adults and I don't like the music as much (kicking theme song aside.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And honestly much of the early flubs are entirely because the dubbers didn't know what was going to happen later in the series, such as Mimi's nonexistent brother (the bad singing voice is an error on the ORIGINAL side, if you want to play that card) and what not. By the time of Myotismon almost all of those rough areas are gone, and you just have a really drat good dub especially for the time it was made.

The only real stumbling block is Apoclymon, where they super doubled down on the cheese because of what a disturbing character he is.

The Tamers Dub is superior, to me at least, if only for Steve Blume's voice work.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Burkion posted:

And honestly much of the early flubs are entirely because the dubbers didn't know what was going to happen later in the series, such as Mimi's nonexistent brother (the bad singing voice is an error on the ORIGINAL side, if you want to play that card) and what not. By the time of Myotismon almost all of those rough areas are gone, and you just have a really drat good dub especially for the time it was made.

The only real stumbling block is Apoclymon, where they super doubled down on the cheese because of what a disturbing character he is.

The Tamers Dub is superior, to me at least, if only for Steve Blume's voice work.

The Tamers dub really is pretty great, though it still is a pretty different experience from the original. I found that the jokes usually hit pretty well and in a few cases I think the dialogue in some serious scenes was better than the original. As far as accuracy goes though I think Savers/Data Squad is the dub with the least amount of creative liberties/added jokes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have watched:

Currently rewatching through Adventure in Japanese myself right now, and having gone through episode 15 at this point, the main difference between Dub and Original Mimi that I've noticed so far is that JP Mimi is a bit of a weirdo, like her putting sugar and Natto on her eggs, although Jou's even more of one in my opinion, what with his rant about how one only needs salt and pepper for your eggs instead of what the other kids prefer, and indeed he pretty much spent most of the File Island arc teetering on the edge of insanity with his constant insistence that there had to be other humans on the island, hopefully that'll die down now that they are on Server cause it was getting old

Overall one of the biggest differences between Dub and JP I've noticed is that the age differences between the children are a lot more noticeable in the original script(back in the day I hadn't even realized that Jou was a year older than everyone else until partway into 02, and didn't know that Koushiro and Mimi were a year younger than Taichi, Yamato, and Sora until very recently, indeed the dub often made it seem like Mimi was older than most of the group), also the Digimon in general have fairly different personalities between Dub and JP

And one last thing that I've noticed is just how jazzy a lot of the non-vocal soundtrack is(also that the show uses a lot of Gundam sound effects at times), that combined with the really drat good background art the show has, brings a surprisingly comfy vibe to everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The Tamers dub really is pretty great, though it still is a pretty different experience from the original. I found that the jokes usually hit pretty well and in a few cases I think the dialogue in some serious scenes was better than the original. As far as accuracy goes though I think Savers/Data Squad is the dub with the least amount of creative liberties/added jokes.

Except of course the infamous BomberNanimon/Citramon episode(which was admittedly pretty creative of them to do)